I know that I know

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 02:29 pm
@fast,
No, I'm seeing a tree. But if I imagine myself seeing a tree, I am "seeing" myself seeing a tree.

fast

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 02:13 pm
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;110365]If you are asking how I know that my propositional attitude is that of knowledge that I know rather than say merely belief that I know, then, of course, in order to answer that, I must know what having knowledge is. But that does not mean that in order for me to have knowledge that I know, I must know what knowledge is. So, in that case, I agree with you.[/QUOTE]I agree with what you say, and I may have inadvertently committed the modal fallacy (and may still be doing it), but I was so busy trying to make a connection between "knowing that I know" and "knowing what knowledge is" so Zetherin would not continue to disagree with me about what I meant to say that I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was saying, and to be honest, I'm still not sure how to say what I want to.

I agree that we do not need to know that we know in order to know, and we don't need to know what knowledge is in order to know, but we do need to know what knowledge is in order to know that we know, yet when I say that, I'm not meaning to say that we must know anything. Does "need to" imply "must"? If so, scratch that, and I'll give an example:

For example, you would know that the capital of Ecuador is Quito even if you didn't know what knowledge is, but if you don't know what knowledge is, then it wouldn't be the case that you know that you know that the capital of Ecuador is Quito.

Furthermore, if you know what knowledge is but don't know what the capital is, then it's still the case that you don't know that you know, for you can't know that you know unless you first know.

However, if it's both the case that 1) you know what the capital is and 2) you know what knowledge is, then not only do you know, but you know that you know as well. The previous proposition in this paragraph is the proposition that I think we should all agree to, but I don't think we all agree. I wonder why.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 02:30 pm
@fast,
fast;111309 wrote:

I agree that we do not need to know that we know in order to know, and we don't need to know what knowledge is in order to know, but we do need to know what knowledge is in order to know that we know,

Why?...................

fast

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 03:20 pm
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;111313]Why?...................[/quote]

You're killin' me!

Because the subject matter has changed from knowledge of P to knowledge of knowledge of P. To say "I know P" is to say, "I have knowledge that P is true." This is what the subject matter has changed from. But, let's break it out even more. If I say, "I know P," then I'm saying, "I have knowledge, and what I have knowledge of is that P is true."

To say "I know that I know P" is to say something else much more elaborate. It's to say that I have knowledge, but it's not merely to say that I have knowledge that P is true; rather, it's to say that I have knowledge, and what I have knowledge of is: I have knowledge that P is true. So, I'm not merely saying that I have knowledge and that what I have knowledge of is that P is true but rather I'm saying, "I have knowledge and what I have knowledge of is that I have knowledge that P is true. Asking how do I know that P is true is different than asking how do I know that I know P is true. Not withstanding the necessary condition that you know P is true, if you know that you know, then you also do know what knowledge is, for how can you know that you have knowledge unless you know what knowledge is?

Zetherin

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 04:28 pm
@fast,
fast wrote:
Not withstanding the necessary condition that you know P is true, if you know that you know, then you also do know what knowledge is, for how can you know that you have knowledge unless you know what knowledge is?

Easy. It is the same principle. Just as you can know P without knowing what knowledge is, so too can you know that you know P without knowing what knowledge is. Once again, all you're doing is knowing something else - that is the part you aren't grasping. There is nothing special about knowing that you know. You can go on as many times as you want with this knowing that you know that you know stuff. You have to look at the key beginning: K(*. It doesn't matter what comes after K(*, it's still knowing something. And you can always know something, anything, without first knowing that you know, or knowing what knowledge is. Period.

*First degree K(P)
Second degree K(K(P))
Third degree K(K(K(P)))
(-Taken from Emil-)

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:41 pm
@fast,
"I know that I know that I know" approximately equals "I have a mental model of myself having a mental model of myself knowing something."

I-->(I-->(I-->P))

And that's my own little code. I = conceptualized subjectivity (empirical ego). The arrows are "knowing."

kennethamy

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:48 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;111361 wrote:
"I know that I know that I know" approximately equals "I have a mental model of myself having a mental model of myself knowing something."

Now that clears it up.

fast

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 10:32 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;111340 wrote:
Easy. It is the same principle. Just as you can know P without knowing what knowledge is, so too can you know that you know P without knowing what knowledge is. Once again, all you're doing is knowing something else - that is the part you aren't grasping. There is nothing special about knowing that you know. You can go on as many times as you want with this knowing that you know that you know stuff. You have to look at the key beginning: K(*. It doesn't matter what comes after K(*, it's still knowing something. And you can always know something, anything, without first knowing that you know, or knowing what knowledge is. Period.

*First degree K(P)
Second degree K(K(P))
Third degree K(K(K(P)))
(-Taken from Emil-)

I don't think it's a case (this time) that I'm not grasping what is being said. What I'm doing is rejecting what you say as true. Unfortunately, I have failed to articulate some decent support of my case.

I'll tell you something else you may not be so quick to agree with me on--but then again, who knows. Although I agree that first degree doesn't imply second degree, I do believe second degree implies third degree. And, third degree implies fourth degree, and so on. But, that's a different issue, I suppose.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 10:21 am
@fast,
fast wrote:

Although I agree that first degree doesn't imply second degree, I do believe second degree implies third degree. And, third degree implies fourth degree, and so on. But, that's a different issue, I suppose.

Everything after the first degree, implies the first degree. (As you cannot know that you know P, without first knowing P - and it would go on like this for each subsequent degree).

Quote:

Unfortunately, I have failed to articulate some decent support of my case.

I'll try to restate your position:

You think that knowing that you know something requires that you know what knowledge is, because how else would you know that you know? You must understand what knowledge is, if you are to say that you know knowledge. And, indeed, Zetherin, knowing P is not like knowing that you know P; in the first, all you need know is P, but in the latter you are articulating that you understand the necessary conditions of knowledge: that is what is meant by knowing to know.

This is where you're mistaken: Knowing is something which happens independent of our understanding of the term.

Consider a person who has never even heard of the word "know". Consider they have no taught understanding of what it means to know (they have never contemplated necessary or sufficient conditions, or anything critical). Despite this, they still have the capacity to know. Consider that this person knows P. I know you agree that this person can know P, without having any idea what knowledge is.

Consider now that this same person is taking a test, and P is one of the answers on this test. Consider that they come to the question and forget what the answer is. They still know what the answer is, and they know that they know, but they cannot remember. Said person need not understand what knowledge is to know that they have the knowledge in their mind, but just can't remember it at the moment.

Emil

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 11:45 am
@fast,
fast;111328 wrote:

You're killin' me!

Because the subject matter has changed from knowledge of P to knowledge of knowledge of P. To say "I know P" is to say, "I have knowledge that P is true." This is what the subject matter has changed from. But, let's break it out even more. If I say, "I know P," then I'm saying, "I have knowledge, and what I have knowledge of is that P is true."

To say "I know that I know P" is to say something else much more elaborate. It's to say that I have knowledge, but it's not merely to say that I have knowledge that P is true; rather, it's to say that I have knowledge, and what I have knowledge of is: I have knowledge that P is true. So, I'm not merely saying that I have knowledge and that what I have knowledge of is that P is true but rather I'm saying, "I have knowledge and what I have knowledge of is that I have knowledge that P is true. Asking how do I know that P is true is different than asking how do I know that I know P is true. Not withstanding the necessary condition that you know P is true, if you know that you know, then you also do know what knowledge is, for how can you know that you have knowledge unless you know what knowledge is?

You may believe that you know that P and that belief may be justified, and since it is true that you know that P, then it follows that you know that you know that P. Seems simple to me. Is it the justification condition that is your problem? Cannot one be justified in believing that one knows that that P without knowing what knowledge is? I think one can.

---------- Post added 12-15-2009 at 06:47 PM ----------

fast;111426 wrote:
I don't think it's a case (this time) that I'm not grasping what is being said. What I'm doing is rejecting what you say as true. Unfortunately, I have failed to articulate some decent support of my case.

I'll tell you something else you may not be so quick to agree with me on--but then again, who knows. Although I agree that first degree doesn't imply second degree, I do believe second degree implies third degree. And, third degree implies fourth degree, and so on. But, that's a different issue, I suppose.

You really think this? That implies an infinite number of beliefs. Surely that is false. Unless you hold some wacky substance dualistic theory, of course.

---------- Post added 12-15-2009 at 06:50 PM ----------

Zetherin;111524 wrote:
Everything after the first degree, implies the first degree. (As you cannot know that you know P, without first knowing P - and it would go on like this for each subsequent degree).

More generally:

Knowledge of n degree implies knowledge of n-1 degree, where n is not 1.

---------- Post added 12-15-2009 at 06:52 PM ----------

Zetherin;111524 wrote:
Consider a person who has never even heard of the word "know". Consider they have no taught understanding of what it means to know (they have never contemplated necessary or sufficient conditions, or anything critical). Despite this, they still have the capacity to know. Consider that this person knows P. I know you agree that this person can know P, without having any idea what knowledge is.

Consider now that this same person is taking a test, and P is one of the answers on this test. Consider that they come to the question and forget what the answer is. They still know what the answer is, and they know that they know, but they cannot remember. Said person need not understand what knowledge is to know that they have the knowledge in their mind, but just can't remember it at the moment.

Not too sure one can be J(K(P)) without having heard of the term knowledge. What kind of justification could that be? Some authority maybe?

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 11:54 am
@fast,
I think it may come down to knowing not being a mental event, and fast mistaking that it is.

Emil

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 11:57 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;111545 wrote:
I think it may come down to knowing not being a mental event, and fast mistaking that it is.

I don't see why thinking that knowledge is a mental event would have any bearing on this.

--
CS

I don't se why thinking that nolej is a mental event wud hav any bearing on this.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 12:33 pm
@fast,
My reasoning is thus:

If he believes knowing is a mental event, he may believe knowing is a conscious activity, a thought or feeling. If he thinks this, then he may believe that to know you know is to say, "I know that I have this thought or feeling". He may think it is something akin to, "You can only know that you feel sadness until after you've experienced sadness". But knowing is not an experience, like feelings are, so this argument would not apply. And that is what I think he doesn't understand. He thinks you need to understand what knowledge is to know that you know, because knowing is an experience. But this is false.

mickalos

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 02:25 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;111550 wrote:
My reasoning is thus:

If he believes knowing is a mental event, he may believe knowing is a conscious activity, a thought or feeling. If he thinks this, then he may believe that to know you know is to say, "I know that I have this thought or feeling". He may think it is something akin to, "You can only know that you feel sadness until after you've experienced sadness". But knowing is not an experience, like feelings are, so this argument would not apply. And that is what I think he doesn't understand. He thinks you need to understand what knowledge is to know that you know, because knowing is an experience. But this is false.

I think that argument works for first degree knowledge, but I'm not so convinced about higher degrees. Taking the approach that knowing something is dispositional, which I think is a good one, an examiner may say to a student, "P?", and if the student answers positively, and he is justified in doing so, we should say K(p) is true (where K(x) means "The student knows that x). The examiner may follow up the original question with "K(P)?" And again, if the student answers positively, K(p) is true, and he is justified in doing so, we may say K(K(p)). But to even make sense of "K(p)?" in this formal language that we are using (let's call it L-k), and therefore to be justified in giving a positive answer, he would have to know something about the syntax of L-k, and have a reasonable comprehension of the semantics of L-k.

If the student knows that there is a rule saying that K(x) is a sentence of L-k if and only if x is a proposition, then we may be satisfied that he knows the syntactic rules, but he still may not know under what circumstances K(p) is true, in which case he cannot answer the question, "K(p)?", because he doesn't have a sufficient grasp of the semantics of the language. In English, if he doesn't know the syntax of our language, he might respond to "Do you know Paris is the capital of France?" by saying, "Do I what? What is this word know supposed to be? What is it doing there? Speak English, man!" If he doesn't have a proper grasp of the semantics he might reply, "Hmm, that is a sentence, and "know" is the verb, but what does it mean for me 'to know' that proposition? Under what circumstances can I answer yes to that question, and under what circumstances can I answer no? I understand the proposition 'Paris is the caoital of France', is that sufficient for me to answer positively?" It seems to me that one would need to at least understand to a reasonable degree the rules, conventions and habits governing the use of the word 'know' (or it's definientia) in order to have iterated knowledge.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:02 pm
@mickalos,
mickalos;111562 wrote:
I think that argument works for first degree knowledge, but I'm not so convinced about higher degrees. Taking the approach that knowing something is dispositional, which I think is a good one, an examiner may say to a student, "P?", and if the student answers positively, and he is justified in doing so, we should say K(p) is true (where K(x) means "The student knows that x). The examiner may follow up the original question with "K(P)?" And again, if the student answers positively, K(p) is true, and he is justified in doing so, we may say K(K(p)). But to even make sense of "K(p)?" in this formal language that we are using (let's call it L-k), and therefore to be justified in giving a positive answer, he would have to know something about the syntax of L-k, and have a reasonable comprehension of the semantics of L-k.

If the student knows that there is a rule saying that K(x) is a sentence of L-k if and only if x is a proposition, then we may be satisfied that he knows the syntactic rules, but he still may not know under what circumstances K(p) is true, in which case he cannot answer the question, "K(p)?", because he doesn't have a sufficient grasp of the semantics of the language. In English, if he doesn't know the syntax of our language, he might respond to "Do you know Paris is the capital of France?" by saying, "Do I what? What is this word know supposed to be? What is it doing there? Speak English, man!" If he doesn't have a proper grasp of the semantics he might reply, "Hmm, that is a sentence, and "know" is the verb, but what does it mean for me 'to know' that proposition? Under what circumstances can I answer yes to that question, and under what circumstances can I answer no? I understand the proposition 'Paris is the caoital of France', is that sufficient for me to answer positively?" It seems to me that one would need to at least understand to a reasonable degree the rules, conventions and habits governing the use of the word 'know' (or it's definientia) in order to have iterated knowledge.

But keep in mind I am not talking about articulating that I know that I know something. I am talking about knowing that I know something. And, of course, I can know without my articulation thereof.

So, nothing you said would apply here. It would begin to apply when we speak of a student who is trying to express they know that they know something, but this is not what I was referring to.

---------- Post added 12-15-2009 at 04:12 PM ----------

Emil wrote:

Not too sure one can be J(K(P)) without having heard of the term knowledge. What kind of justification could that be? Some authority maybe?

I'm not exactly sure what sort of justification would be sufficient.

But, for me, I feel justified in believing that I can know that I know something, just from knowing that, sometime previously, I knew that I knew something. And I think one could have this understanding without having an understanding of knowledge.

Does knowing that you know have to be justified? It is basically saying that not only does our knowing P have to be justified (presumably by evaluating P), but we must also justify our ability to even know! Doesn't that seem a bit odd to you? Do we need to justify our ability to know, before we even approach a P? I don't think so. That would require two justifications for every piece of knowledge. We would need to provide justification for knowing P, and justification that we even have the ability to know P.

fast

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 03:34 pm
@fast,
P-cats are mammals

When you say, "I know P," you are not only saying that you know P, but you are also saying by implication that you have knowledge, so you are saying 1) you have knowledge and 2) you have knowledge that P. The latter implies the former, but the former doesn't imply the latter, so if you have knowledge that P, then you have knowledge, but just because you have knowledge, that doesn't imply that you have knowledge that P.

If you know that P is true; hence, if you have an adequately justified true belief that cats are mammals, then just how much of a leap am I taking to think that you know what a cat is or what a mammal is, given that you have adequate justification for thinking P is true?

---------- Post added 12-15-2009 at 04:39 PM ----------

Zetherin;111550 wrote:
My reasoning is thus:

If he believes knowing is a mental event, he may believe knowing is a conscious activity, a thought or feeling.
I don't think that.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 04:22 pm
@fast,
fast wrote:
If you know that P is true; hence, if you have an adequately justified true belief that cats are mammals, then just how much of a leap am I taking to think that you know what a cat is or what a mammal is, given that you have adequate justification for thinking P is true?

Knowing what cats and mammals were would bolster your justification for knowing that cats are mammals. But I would still be able to know that a creature exists and that it is something, without ever knowing what a cat or mammal were (in other words, the definitions of these words).

But in the case of knowing that I know, do you really believe that my (second) knowing has to be justified? Why do you believe it must be justified? And even if I did know what knowledge was, how would this justify that I knew that I knew something? My understanding of knowledge really has nothing to do with me knowing, as far as I can tell. I know things just as I've always known things, and I know that I know things just as I've always known that I know things, even after critically considering knowledge. And I'm not sure me explaining to someone what knowledge is would justify that I know that I know something, any more than me explaining to someone what knowledge is would justify that I know something.

fast

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 05:06 pm
@Zetherin,
[QUOTE=Zetherin;111579]Knowing what cats and mammals were would bolster your justification for knowing that cats are mammals. But I would still be able to know that a creature exists and that it is something, without ever knowing what a cat or mammal were (in other words, the definitions of these words). [/QUOTE]I didn't explicitly say creatures, and I didn't mention definitions, and saying it would bolster my justification seems to avoid my question.

I think most children know what a cat is, and if a child is taught that a cat is a mammal, then a child will know that a cat is a mammal. They need not know the definition of either to know what either is.

Can one know that cats are mammals and not know what either is? I'm not saying it's logically impossible, for with logic, anything that's not a contradiction is logically possible. I'm just looking for a good reason to think it's a plausible real possibility.

ACB

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 05:32 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;111579 wrote:
But in the case of knowing that I know, do you really believe that my (second) knowing has to be justified? Why do you believe it must be justified?

If it did not have to be justified, it would violate the principle that knowledge is justified true belief.

Consider this example. X believes, with justification, that cats are mammals. He therefore knows that cats are mammals. But he believes, erroneously, that knowledge is simply true belief, and that it does not have to be justified. He has therefore not considered the question of whether he is justified in believing that cats are mammals. (Although, as it happens, he is so justified.) He has therefore not considered all the relevant criteria for knowing that cats are mammals. Consequently he is not justified in believing he knows it; hence he does not know that he knows it.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 05:45 pm
@fast,
fast wrote:
I didn't explicitly say creatures, and I didn't mention definitions, and saying it would bolster my justification seems to avoid my question.

I am aware you didn't explicitly say creatures. I am also aware you didn't mention definitions. I'm not aware that I avoided your question. I am not one to avoid things, even if I am incorrect in my response (ignoring reason makes me sick). So, I will reread your question, and then attempt to respond appropriately again.

Quote:
I think most children know what a cat is, and if a child is taught that a cat is a mammal, then a child will know that a cat is a mammal. They need not know the definition of either to know what either is.

This is correct. I should not have typed the word "definition".

Quote:
Can one know that cats are mammals and not know what either is? I'm not saying it's logically impossible, for with logic, anything that's not a contradiction is logically possible. I'm just looking for a good reason to think it's a plausible real possibility

I never said that was plausible. What I did say is that you could still know that a cat exists (that is, you could still see the creature), without knowing of the word "cat". Just as I could know that a plant exists beside me, but not know that it is an elm tree. I may not know what an object is, but I can still know it is an object - I know that it is something.

But I am also looking for a good reason for you to think that you need to know what knowledge is to know that you know. That seems clearly false to me. I even have personal experience. Years ago I used to know that I knew things, but I could not remember them on tests sometimes. And besides my having known in the past, I had no other justification for this - I had never delved into any philosophical discussion on knowing.

ACB wrote:
If it did not have to be justified, it would violate the principle that knowledge is justified true belief.

Consider this example. X believes, with justification, that cats are mammals. He therefore knows that cats are mammals. But he believes, erroneously, that knowledge is simply true belief, and that it does not have to be justified. He has therefore not considered the question of whether he is justified in believing that cats are mammals. (Although, as it happens, he is so justified.) He has therefore not considered all the relevant criteria for knowing that cats are mammals. Consequently he is not justified in believing he knows it; hence he does not know that he knows it.

His knowing the cat is a mammal is not dependent on his knowing the relevant criteria for knowledge. He may not know that he knows, but that does not mean he doesn't know. What exactly do you think has to be justified in, "I know that I know what P is"? You think the second "I know" has to be justified? That is, I must justify that I have the capacity to know?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 05:16:22