I know that I know

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:10 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;110197 wrote:
Of course. Since, you cannot know you know unless you first know.

But that isn't the issue.

The issue is that fast believes that you cannot know you know, unless you first know what knowledge is. And I don't think that's true. I think you can know you know something without knowing what knowledge is.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:11 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;110195 wrote:
And you may not know that you know S (you know that you know P).

Is that possible?

Yes. We, most of us, only believe we know that p. But when we strongly believe it, we are apt to say that we know we know. But we should not confuse the conditions of saying we know, with the conditions of knowing.

Emil

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:25 am
@fast,
fast;110186 wrote:
I don't think so.

Do you mean: You think not?

If so, why?

I agree with Z.

---------- Post added 12-11-2009 at 06:27 PM ----------

Zetherin;110198 wrote:
But that isn't the issue.

The issue is that fast believes that you cannot know you know, unless you first know what knowledge is. And I don't think that's true. I think you can know you know something without knowing what knowledge is.

I agree.

Though knowing the conditions of knowledge helps with being justified in claiming that one know that one knows that P.

Similarly, one does not need to know what knowledge is in order to know that P. Most people don't know the conditions of knowledge.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:40 am
@fast,
Emil wrote:
Though knowing the conditions of knowledge helps with being justified in claiming that one know that one knows that P.

And the reason would be because the justification has to be supporting what we are claiming to know. If we claim to know P (Quito is the capital of Ecuador), then an authority (atlas) may bolster our justfication. And since, here, we are claiming we know we know something, we must look at what we're claiming we know - that we know (just as we must for all I know X claims). So to seek justification for S (I know that I know), we must seek something detailing and supporting knowing, just as when we sought justification for Quito, we sought something detailing and supporting Quito.

Eh, I think this was a muddy explanation. Sorry.

Emil

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 11:59 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;110210 wrote:
And the reason would be because the justification has to be supporting what we are claiming to know. If we claim to know P (Quito is the capital of Ecuador), then an authority (atlas) may bolster our justfication. And since, here, we are claiming we know we know something, we must look at what we're claiming we know - that we know (just as we must for all I know X claims). So to seek justification for S (I know that I know), we must seek something detailing and supporting knowing, just as when we sought justification for Quito, we sought something detailing and supporting Quito.

Yes it was, but I knew what you meant so that didn't matter. :bigsmile:

Zetherin

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 12:07 pm
@Emil,
Emil;110219 wrote:
Yes it was, but I knew what you meant so that didn't matter. :bigsmile:

I'll take the easy way out and blame it on the language!

Viva la revolution English! Very Happy

Emil

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 12:13 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;110221 wrote:
I'll take the easy way out and blame it on the language!

Viva la revolution English! Very Happy

Hahaha. I don't think language was the problem in that post. The criticism of english in the other thread applies primarily not to its usefulness. English is very useful.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 12:22 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;110210 wrote:

If you mean that when people say they that they know they know, they are usually saying that their belief that they know is strongly justified, I agree. I earlier mentioned the phrase, "being in a position to know", and that is what I think people are saying when they say they know; that they are in a very good position to know what they believe they know.

"Why do you claim you know that Anne is depressed?"

"Who is in a better position to know? She phones me about four times a day!"

fast

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 12:35 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;110210 wrote:

You do not need to know what knowledge is in order to know something, but you need to know what knowledge is in order to know you have knowledge of something. P is a non issue.

Remember, knowing something like ice is cold doesn't imply that you know you have knowledge. You may have it, but you don't necessarily know that it's knowledge that you have.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 12:39 pm
@fast,
fast wrote:

You do not need to know what knowledge is in order to know something, but you need to know what knowledge is in order to know you have knowledge of something. P is a non issue.

I know exactly what you are saying. I am saying I disagree with you. I am saying that you do not need to know what knowledge is in order to know you know something.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 12:43 pm
@fast,
fast;110236 wrote:
but you need to know what knowledge is in order to know you have knowledge of something.

I don't see why. Why can't you know you know without knowing what the conditions of knowledge are? Suppose you just satisfy those conditions, but don't know what they are.

fast

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:10 pm
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;110238]I don't see why. Why can't you know you know without knowing what the conditions of knowledge are? Suppose you just satisfy those conditions, but don't know what they are.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I thought of that, but then, what would your justification be for thinking you had knowledge? Remember, we're not talking about your justification that P is true but rather justification for your true belief that what you have is actually knowledge and not merely a belief --that you KNOW P. You would need justification that what you have is knowledge that you know something, and that is why I think you need to know what knowledge is in order to know that you know.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:16 pm
@fast,
fast;110245 wrote:

Yes, I thought of that, but then, what would your justification be for thinking you had knowledge? Remember, we're not talking about your justification that P is true but rather justification for your true belief that what you have is actually knowledge and not merely a belief --that you KNOW P. You would need justification that what you have is knowledge that you know something, and that is why I think you need to know what knowledge is in order to know that you know.

Yes. And I might have justification, but not know what it is.

Emil

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:27 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;110238 wrote:
I don't see why. Why can't you know you know without knowing what the conditions of knowledge are? Suppose you just satisfy those conditions, but don't know what they are.

That's what I think too.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:30 pm
@Emil,
Emil;110250 wrote:
That's that I think too.

I don't blame you.

Emil

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:32 pm
@fast,
First degree K(P)
Second degree K(K(P))
Third degree K(K(K(P)))

Though it gets very tricky to be able to imagine it. I'm having troubles imagining it.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:35 pm
@Emil,
Emil;110255 wrote:
First degree K(P)
Second degree K(K(P))
Third degree K(K(K(P)))

Though it gets very tricky to be able to imagine it. I'm having troubles imagining it.

That's how I was picturing it. That's what I meant by: You're always claiming to know something, no matter what you're claiming to know. Always K(X).

kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:37 pm
@Emil,
Emil;110255 wrote:
First degree K(P)
Second degree K(K(P))
Third degree K(K(K(P)))

Yes. Imagination isn't of much help. Here. But as Spinoza pointed out, that is generally the case.

fast

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:45 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;110247 wrote:
Yes. And I might have justification, but not know what it is.
That you might have justification is no good reason to think you do (or may) have justification, and if you don't have good reason to think you do (or may) have justification, then you shouldn't think you have a true belief that is justified. You wouldn't claim to know what you have is knowledge (of the fact that you know P) if you didn't believe you had justification.

So what that it's logically possible to know you know without knowing what knowledge is! It would be unreasonable to think you do know you know just because you might know you know without knowledge of what knowledge is.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:50 pm
@fast,
fast;110266 wrote:
That you might have justification is no good reason to think you do (or may) have justification, and if you don't have good reason to think you do (or may) have justification, then you shouldn't think you have a true belief that is justified. You wouldn't claim to know what you have is knowledge (of the fact that you know P) if you didn't believe you had justification.

So what that it's logically possible to know you know without knowing what knowledge is! It would be unreasonable to think you can know you know just because you might know you know without knowledge of what knowledge is.

But I was pointing out that I can be justified without knowing I am. Not that it is logically possible for me to be justified. And, if I am justified, then I am justified whether or not I know I am justified. So my being justified does not depend on whether I know I am.

We are moving within what is called the debate between "internalism and externalism". Need I be aware of my justification to be justified?

Internalism and externalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See the section on justification.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 12:45:08