On The Contrast Between Appearance And Reality

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:47 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132384 wrote:
Our beliefs (concepts) about the Moon, and the word, "Moon", are mind-dependent. But the Moon is not mind-dependent. You really have to distinguish between beliefs or concepts, and what it is that they are concepts of, and beliefs about.

You are presenting yourself as a materialist/monist but you don't seem to realize this fact.

'The moon' makes no sense without human intercession. The real question is: what does the moon look like in a completely objective sense? What is the moon really? These are philosophical question regarding the nature of the physical world or physical universe.

If someone existed who could see absolute truth (let us call him God) then we may ask, what is the moon from God's perspective? Because one would need to be both independent of the moon and at the same time be able to perceive the moon, something which humans cannot do. Humans do not have access to the truth. This is what makes philosophy possible.

-

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:53 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;132206 wrote:
So you see your beliefs as the best possible options available to you without any eternal truth value attributed to them?

They may have an eternal truth value, but I am not one to claim that. I will claim empirical truth value, semantic truth value, etc... but we have been discussing the metaphysical, and I refuse to claim I hold an eternal truth concerning that.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:59 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;132392 wrote:
You are presenting yourself as a materialist/monist but you don't seem to realize this fact.

'The moon' makes no sense without human intercession. The real question is: what does the moon look like in a completely objective sense? What is the moon really? These are philosophical question regarding the nature of the physical world or physical universe.

If someone existed who could see absolute truth (let us call him God) then we may ask, what is the moon from God's perspective? Because one would need to be both independent of the moon and at the same time be able to perceive the moon, something which humans cannot do. Humans do not have access to the truth. This is what makes philosophy possible.

-

All I maintained was that the Moon existed before people with minds existed. Do you believe that is true, or do you believe it is false? What we know about the Moon is, like all knowledge, mind-dependent. What the Moon is like is not mind-dependent.

Is that evil of me?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:59 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;132392 wrote:

-

...well, this is dangerous territory and I happen to disagree !
I believe in Transcendental not in total Transcendence...

...the Idea of a Meta-Dialectics would be that, perspective is Truth...

From my point of view, my perception, of the room is as valid as yours to describe the Wholeness of the room...and it refers correctly to the nominous, given that phenomena comes out of somewhere rather then nothing...
...the unprecise refers to the precise and is true even if indirectly !

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:01 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:

The real question is: what does the moon look like in a completely objective sense?

What does that matter? The fact is the moon has existed before we knew of the moon. That seems to be blatantly obvious.

Quote:

What is the moon really?

Is a question which asks nothing, but appears profound. Discard, I'm sorry.

Quote:

Humans do not have access to the truth. This is what makes philosophy possible.

If humans do not have access to truth, then what you say cannot possibly be true, can it?

MMP2506 wrote:
The essence of the Moon can only exist because the mind constituted it. The word Moon, the idea of evolving around the Earth, the knowledge about craters which cover it; these are all concepts which have been constituted by minds, therefore they're mind dependent characteristics.

We've not talking about the concept of the moon, we're talking about the moon. Do you know what the difference is?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:04 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132401 wrote:
If humans do not have access to truth, then what you say cannot possibly be true, can it?

My position is somewhere between both, Rationalist and empiricist...

---------- Post added 02-25-2010 at 02:08 PM ----------

Zetherin;132401 wrote:
We've not talking about the concept of the moon, we're talking about the moon. Do you know what the difference is?

Yes but you can only refer to it through the Nominous which is something rather then nothing...otherwise you can only be referring to the concept of the Moon !

...so by all practical means he is right...

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:13 pm
@Pythagorean,
Fil. Albuquerque wrote:

Yes by you can only refer to it through the Nominous which is something rather then nothing...otherwise you can only be referring to the concept of the Moon !

But what does that matter? Even if we cannot perceive the moon as the 'thing-in-itself' that you all seem to be hinting at, that does not mean that the moon doesn't exist. It seems to me that the mere fact we're perceiving anything means there is something which exists, even if what we perceive is flawed in some way.

And, no, I'm not referring to the concept of the Moon. The concept of the moon is certainly not the moon. For some reason people believe that.

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:13 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132398 wrote:
All I maintained was that the Moon existed before people with minds existed. Do you believe that is true, or do you believe it is false?

I believe it to be an assumption, albeit a very justified one. I try to set up my theory of knowledge off of a probabilistic framework. Syntaxes such as language are 100% knowable. Empirical theories are 99% knowable. However, metaphysical theories don't have a probability, IMO. So I think to claim the Moon existed before people is an assumption, but I place 99% confidence on it.

*EDIT*"Knowable" may be a bad word to use... except for the syntax example.*/EDIT*

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:15 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;132410 wrote:
I believe it to be an assumption, albeit a very justified one. I try to set up my theory of knowledge off of a probabilistic framework. Syntaxes such as language are 100% knowable. Empirical theories are 99% knowable. However, metaphysical theories don't have a probability, IMO. So I think to claim the Moon existed before people is an assumption, but I place 99% confidence on it.

So do you believe it is true, or false? Did you answer the question?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132409 wrote:
But what does that matter? Even if we cannot perceive the moon as the 'thing-in-itself' that you all seem to be hinting at, that does not mean that the moon doesn't exist. It seems to me that the mere fact we're perceiving anything means there is something which exists, even if what we perceive is flawed in some way.

...it does matter !

Zetherin;132409 wrote:
And, no, I'm not referring to the concept of the Moon. The concept of the moon is certainly not the moon. For some reason people believe that.

You can only possess the concept once reference is symbolic, you are referring to the nominous, X, and not the Moon !!! Jeeeesus, good Lord! :brickwall: Smile

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:18 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132411 wrote:
So do you believe it is true, or false? Did you answer the question?

It depends on the scope. Empirically the moon exists (with 99.99999% confidence). Metaphysically I do not place a probability on my confidence of what the Moon is, so I refuse to state certainty at that scope.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:20 pm
@Pythagorean,
Fil. Albuquerque wrote:

You can only possess the concept once reference is symbolic, you are referring to the nominous, X, and not the Moon !!! Jeeeesus, good Lord!

So, when I said to my friend, "Look at the moon!", on a beautiful, starry night, I wasn't referring to the moon?

Interesting idea. I wonder why my friend looked up, then. She probably didn't think I was referring to the moon either. Must have been a coincidence that she looked up.

Scottydamion wrote:

It depends on the scope. Empirically the moon exists (with 99.99999% confidence). Metaphysically I do not place a probability on my confidence of what the Moon is, so I refuse to state certainty at that scope.

Very odd how you bypassed the question again. You either believe or you don't believe the moon existed before us.

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:22 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132401 wrote:
What does that matter? The fact is the moon has existed before we knew of the moon. That seems to be blatantly obvious.

But jeeprs, Scotty and Reconstructo have already explained this very clearly earlier in this thread. I could not explain it much better than they have already done.

You are not asking philosophical questions. Even if you were making a philosophical case for naive realism (which apparently you aren't familiar with) you would still need to engage in a philosophical argument with representational realists.

It is difficult to discuss philosophy with a non-philosophical interlocuter.

Quote:
Is a question which asks nothing, but appears profound. Discard, I'm sorry.

This is a prime example of anti-philosophy i.e. nihilism.

Quote:

It requires a metaphysical basis. Those bases would be, as I have already stated, unproven. But they would be philosophically grounded in reasonable argumentation and not a dogmatic naive realism that does not even know what it is.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:24 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:

This is a prime example of anti-philosophy i.e. nihilism.

Yes, I believe your question is. And that's why it was discarded.

We should strive to talk about something, not nothing. Nothing gets us nowhere.

Quote:

You are not asking philosophical questions.

Your confusion may lie in thinking that a philosophical question is one that must appear profound, difficult to answer, and vague. I'm trying to help you here.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:24 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132416 wrote:
So, when I said to my friend, "Look at the moon!", on a beautiful, starry night, I wasn't referring to the moon?

Interesting idea. I wonder why my friend looked up, then. She probably didn't think I was referring to the moon either. Must have been a coincidence that she looked up.

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:27 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132416 wrote:
Very odd how you bypassed the question again. You either believe or you don't believe the moon existed before us.

You don't think it is possible to suspend judgment on the issue at a metaphysical level?

Empirically the moon exists, I have already said that I believe that with 99.9999% confidence. I operate at the empirical level, so the moon exists at that level. However, we are talking about a different scope, the metaphysical idea of the Moon, and I see no way to place confidence on a belief at that level, because it is out of the scope of my experience. The empirical scope cannot be used as justification for a metaphysical claim, IMO.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:29 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;132421 wrote:
You don't think it is possible to suspend judgment on the issue at a metaphysical level?

Empirically the moon exists, I have already said that I believe that with 99.9999% confidence. I operate at the empirical level, so the moon exists at that level. However, we are talking about a different scope, the metaphysical idea of the Moon, and I see no way to place confidence on a belief at that level, because it is out of the scope of my experience. The empirical scope cannot be used as justification for a metaphysical claim, IMO.

Hm, have you ever tried reconciling these two thought processes - the metaphysical and the empirical? What belief do you have when they are, for lack of a better word, combined?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:29 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132419 wrote:
Yes, I believe your question is. And that's why it was discarded.

We should strive to talk about something, not nothing. Nothing gets us nowhere.

Your confusion may lie in thinking that a philosophical question is one that must appear profound, difficult to answer, and vague. I'm trying to help you here.

"In the grip of a theory" The interesting question is why idealism (in all its forms) is so strongly maintained by people on this forum, and on other forums. That is, of course, a psychological-socio question. I have some pop-psychology answer, but nothing I am confident about.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:31 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;132420 wrote:

So, in conclusion, humans can never refer to actual things.

This is your belief. Am I correct?

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:31 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132422 wrote:
Hm, have you ever tried reconciling these two thought processes - the metaphysical and the empirical? What belief do you have when they are, for lack of a better word, combined?

How would one go about combining them?

At the very least, am I making some sense?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 05:50:40