On The Contrast Between Appearance And Reality

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

pagan

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 08:46 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
longknowledge

science does not have a monopoly on objectivity. It is not possible to tell whether ortega believes that space exists outside the body from what you have said of his scheme. ie that it is consistent with his scheme. Only that people 'think' there is space outside their body and that thought is consistent with his scheme.

1 To say that space outside the brain is consistent with ortega is very different to saying that

2 the belief in space is consistent with ortega.

I get the impression from you that statement 1 should be avoided rather than denied............. and the technique of avoidance is to always reword in terms of the statement 2, which is very different.

longknowledge

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 01:07 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;139255 wrote:

Adding insult to obfuscation does nothing to clarify your meaning or respond to my posting!

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 02:31 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;139365 wrote:
Adding insult to obfuscation does nothing to clarify your meaning or respond to my posting!

longknowledge

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 02:57 pm
@pagan,
pagan;139305 wrote:
longknowledge

science does not have a monopoly on objectivity. It is not possible to tell whether ortega believes that space exists outside the body from what you have said of his scheme. ie that it is consistent with his scheme. Only that people 'think' there is space outside their body and that thought is consistent with his scheme.

1 To say that space outside the brain is consistent with ortega is very different to saying that

I get the impression from you that statement 1 should be avoided rather than denied............. and the technique of avoidance is to always reword in terms of the statement 2, which is very different.

Science's so-called "objectivity" is based on the metaphysical assumption that there are "objects" that are part of a "physical reality" that is "external," to what is not always clear. This confusion is evident when you say first "outside the body" and then "outside the brain." However, both the body and the brain are considered by physicists to be part of so-called "physical reality" and therefore "external," again to what is not always clear.

In contrast, according to the phenomenological analysis performed by Ortega, "objects" are any phenomena that are "external" to the "subject," or the "I" that experiences them. But both the phenomena, the "objects," and the "I," the "subject," are "internal" to the "reality" that is "My Life." The term that Ortega uses for the aggregate of all the phenomena that the "I" experiences is "My Circumstance," indicating that these include all the phenomena experienced by "me." "My circumstance" includes all so-called "physical" phenomena, such as sensations, as well as so-called "mental" phenomena, such as ideas, dreams, etc.

Now so-called "cognitive" scientists posit that the sensations that we experience are caused by the posited "physical events" that exist in that "external" reality, that is also posited. However much evidence there is to justify this positing, it is still a positing. And since they distinguish between "physical" phenomena and "mental" phenomena, presumably "physical" phenomena exist "external" to the "mind."

As to "space," this concept is also a positing of the "location" of the "causes" of the "physical" phenomena that we experience, and we have seen that the meaning of this term has changed from the theories of Descartes and Newton to Einstein to those of the latest string theorists.

Ortega would say that the concept of "space," like all concepts, is a tool that human beings have used to explain the phenomena that occur to us, but that in the light of new data its usefulness may have become restricted.

:flowers:

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:05 pm
@longknowledge,

longknowledge

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:09 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;139255 wrote:

I guess in Portugal "insults" and "patronizing" have a different meaning than in the United States.

I sincerely wish you could indicate how your response has any bearing on my previous posting since you bothered to quote it in the first place.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 03:29 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;139383 wrote:
I guess in Portugal "insults" and "patronizing" have a different meaning than in the United States.

I sincerely wish you could indicate how your response has any bearing on my previous posting since you bothered to quote it in the first place.

---------- Post added 03-13-2010 at 04:43 PM ----------

(...simply because I find those words anthropological self-centred "polluting" terms ultimately unnecessary, or with an hidden agenda...)

...Philosophy should not be about "Politics" or lobby scholar wars...

longknowledge

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 04:35 pm
@longknowledge,
Fil. Albuquerque,

Let's start over.

Here's the last part of my post that you quoted:

longknowledge;138877 wrote:
To use pathfinder's example, as a person, I may experience a visual phenomenon that triggers a hypothesis that I am looking at the back of a woman, and I may even believe at that moment that my hypothesis is correct. But as a scientist I would want to collect more "data", that is have additional visual experiences to confirm or reject my hypothesis.

By the way, I've had several experiences of mistaking the gender of a person myself based on the visual phenomena of the type pathfinder describes, so I know that the hypotheses that occur to me are not always correct. However, both the visual phenomena and the hypotheses that occurred to me were part of my reality at the moment.

And here's your response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil. Albuquerque
...That hypothesis that you thought through was correct given the data and perspective you had at the time...this perspective was allowed by the pan-object in the first place, given is Time\Space position in relation to the Whole, and specifically to yourself...it was but a function in the set of possible functions for the geometrical frame of any and all possible observations by other variables (things) or\and Subjects (Complex sub-System) in the Meta-System...

...an object reality (a function in the possible set of functions) multiplies as information of its condition travels in all directions through time and space, thus developing more perspective possibilities...its a pan-object...

...if a pan-object enters the mind of someone thus meeting a certain frame of need, its multi purpose information will be conditioned and restrained to the construction of a conceptual object who fits its owner frame of being and personnel circumstance of needing it in a given way...yet another possible appearance of the Meta-Object... Smile

First, can you give me an example of "an object reality (a function in the possible set of functions)," if possible in terms of the situation referred to by pathfinder, and an example of "information of its condition"?

How does the information of the condition of an object reality "travel"?

Where is the pan-object before it "enters the mind of someone"? Is this the same thing as the phenomenon known as a "thought occurring to someone"?

What is the mechanism by which a "pan-object" is "conditioned and restrained to the construction of a conceptual object who fits its owner's frame of being and personnel circumstance of needing it in a given way"?

What is the difference between a "pan-object" and a "Meta-Object"?

Sincerely,

longknowledge

longknowledge

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 07:15 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;139387 wrote:
---------- Post added 03-13-2010 at 04:43 PM ----------

(...simply because I find those words anthropological self-centred "polluting" terms ultimately unnecessary, or with an hidden agenda...)

...Philosophy should not be about "Politics" or lobby scholar wars...

We seem to be playing "hopscotch" with each other, but I would like to add:

I'm glad to know you weren't particularly addressing me so I won't take it personally.

The word "emitter" is what I think you mean by "emissor" and that was coined by radiation scientists. The word "receptor" originally meant "a receiver of stolen goods," but more recently has been used by immunologists and physiologists for "antibodies" or "locations on cell membranes." "Functions" and "variables" are used by mathematicians and "information" is so vague a term that its meaning must be defined for each particular profession from theoretical physicists to librarians. These are all activities of human beings and therefore also "anthropological" and "self-centered." As to the term "polluting," being an environmentalist, I know where you got that term. Also, the participants in the "Philosophy of Politics" Forum will be surprised to know about their efforts and I thought that "lobby scholar wars" was what the Philosophy Forum was all about.

For what I mean by "mind," and "subject," I was just using those terms in quotation marks because I was responding to a posting by pagan where he used them. As far as "reality" it refers to anything that occurs in my life, including I and the phenomena I experience. If it doesn't occur in my life it isn't "real" to me.

Doubt doubt

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 09:21 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;139379 wrote:
Science's so-called "objectivity" is based on the metaphysical assumption that there are "objects" that are part of a "physical reality" that is "external," to what is not always clear. This confusion is evident when you say first "outside the body" and then "outside the brain." However, both the body and the brain are considered by physicists to be part of so-called "physical reality" and therefore "external," again to what is not always clear.

In contrast, according to the phenomenological analysis performed by Ortega, "objects" are any phenomena that are "external" to the "subject," or the "I" that experiences them. But both the phenomena, the "objects," and the "I," the "subject," are "internal" to the "reality" that is "My Life." The term that Ortega uses for the aggregate of all the phenomena that the "I" experiences is "My Circumstance," indicating that these include all the phenomena experienced by "me." "My circumstance" includes all so-called "physical" phenomena, such as sensations, as well as so-called "mental" phenomena, such as ideas, dreams, etc.

Now so-called "cognitive" scientists posit that the sensations that we experience are caused by the posited "physical events" that exist in that "external" reality, that is also posited. However much evidence there is to justify this positing, it is still a positing. And since they distinguish between "physical" phenomena and "mental" phenomena, presumably "physical" phenomena exist "external" to the "mind."

As to "space," this concept is also a positing of the "location" of the "causes" of the "physical" phenomena that we experience, and we have seen that the meaning of this term has changed from the theories of Descartes and Newton to Einstein to those of the latest string theorists.

Ortega would say that the concept of "space," like all concepts, is a tool that human beings have used to explain the phenomena that occur to us, but that in the light of new data its usefulness may have become restricted.

Seems to me what Ortega is doing is defining EXIST. It is yet to be proven as to whether existence is a concept(invented in a mind via association or abstraction) or a discovered truth. this question can never be answered as all observations being subjective makes it by definition impossible to view/observe the objective concept/discovery. no observation no scientific conclusion, no scientific conclusion no scientific certainty. The impossibility of any chance of scientific certainty to ever know FOR CERTAIN leads to people debating it for thousands of years. The greatest minds spending huge fractions of there pondering time and an unanswerable question.
That said allow common sense to tell you that perception is close as hell to the objective and that the objective and existence where discovered by the first thing with a consciousness.

Here are some things that should be commonsense, that should be an indication of the probability(best you can hope for) of the existence of reality/the objective/ the thing in itself.

If there's no objective what need would the subjective have for making it appear to us that when a women gets pregnant the food that she eats intricately assembled into a baby human and at birth the baby can be reduced to consisting of nothing more than food her mother ate(Ha just realized the basic definition for a baby is the same as for poop. lol).seems a bit elaborate if it is only a fabrication to fool us.
Devils advocate: A sense of belonging is extremely important and maybe detrimental to the human psychology. If a subjective Void wanted to trick itself into believing it belonged or believing it was walking around in a objective world, the concepts needed to acknowledge that it wanted to do that tells me it may take an intricate fabrication to fool. The Void may have been objective once to know the concepts it employs to fool itself.

If a tree falls in the woods is it not probable that any person at that location in the woods would either see it or walk into an invisible tree/wall?

Why would the subjective invent a physical world for itself and then make it seem like it couldn't all the things it likes constantly full? as in why do i have to keep filling my cup when i could just want it full?

Is the subjective void singular or plural? As in is there one mass-less location-less subjective void making everyone simultaneously feel like they exist in a objective reality? or are their individual mass-less location-less subjective voids all making everyone believe they share the same objective reality needed to touch each other?

To me it seems self-evident that at least the objective exists and that by definition can never be confirmed. Doesn't it seem like the subjective is one step below objective? Isn't the scientific fact of evolution probably the reason humans evolved into creature that could perceive reality with the first consciousness discovering the objective and not inventing a concept? I have eyes that have a blind spot and have never seen anything that wast partially a fabrication on my mind. I can use them to perceive my surroundings in which i use to thrive. My ancestors got sick of being single celled and here i am but they where just as much on this physical planet as i am now and at that time the subjective did not exist.
This is all i need to know. I'm here it appears and when i appear to do stuff i appear to like doing i appear to enjoy what appears to be myself.
It appears that with the level of perception that my body allows me i can never be certain that the objective is not just a mass-less location-less subjective void fooling me into believing I'm commanding my physical body.
Now i can say with certainty that i am going to enjoy what may or may not be my objective surrounding because that's what whatever you want to call the thing doing the interpreting of my perceptions.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 09:43 pm
@Doubt doubt,
Doubt doubt;139443 wrote:
Seems to me what Ortega is doing is defining EXIST. It is yet to be proven as to whether existence is a concept(invented in a mind via association or abstraction) or a discovered truth. .

That doesn't seem to me a hard question. The concept of existence is a concept, and we can often discover whether or not something exists. For instance, in the 19th century, we discovered that the planet Uranus exists.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 09:58 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;139394 wrote:
First, can you give me an example of "an object reality (a function in the possible set of functions)," if possible in terms of the situation referred to by pathfinder, and an example of "information of its condition"?

...being a coca cola bottle, might be consider , as an social or personnel "construction" (better discovery), an object (function) of the pan Object that the perceiveble "bottle"\thing can be (set of possible functions) to all subjects or receptors with different interpretations for its use or nature....this use or nature must be true (potentially possible) in order to become in the future, thus, the pan object has immanent logos in itself (meta-context)...still one can speculate that this is different from the thing in itself as an emitter of information with no targets in sight...that would be the Meta-object and hard to track to anything...actually the Meta-Object its the hardest to define and the more questionable in its supposed existence, once is well reasonable to consider that nothing can exist without context with other variables and even to accept that it probably results from the holistic effect of them all in order to exist...

How does the information of the condition of an object reality "travel"?
Where is the pan-object before it "enters the mind of someone"? Is this the same thing as the phenomenon known as a "thought occurring to someone"?

...I have answer this one already, but I can clarify... it is as potential logos, as an a priori set of possible functions to all potential receptors in the neighbourhood...yes has the thought occurring to someone...(this is why exactly I doubt the creativity of mind alone, or the term creativity at all, I find it dangerous and ultimately an unexplainable concept...Creativity ???)

What is the mechanism by which a "pan-object" is "conditioned and restrained to the construction of a conceptual object who fits its owner's frame of being and personnel circumstance of needing it in a given way"?
What is the difference between a "pan-object" and a "Meta-Object"?

longknowledge

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 12:42 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I shudda quit while I was behind!

MMP2506

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 02:38 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;139453 wrote:

...I have answer this one already, but I can clarify... it is as potential logos, as an a priori set of possible functions to all potential receptors in the neighbourhood...yes has the thought occurring to someone...(this is why exactly I doubt the creativity of mind alone, or the term creativity at all, I find it dangerous and ultimately an unexplainable concept...Creativity ???)

Logos is the creative process, and learning is the infusion of the creative process with the individual mind. The mind can only learn through the process of learning, which is through language from the society; however, the society is made up of individual minds. Its quite an interesting circle.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 03:09 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;139450 wrote:
That doesn't seem to me a hard question. The concept of existence is a concept, and we can often discover whether or not something exists. For instance, in the 19th century, we discovered that the planet Uranus exists.

Do black holes exist? If the answer is yes, then how we know they exist.

pagan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 01:00 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
Quote:
longknowledge

Smile and that exactly illustrates the point i was making when i said ....

I am aware that science is always positing all sorts of things, that are unfounded even by its own methods. fair enough. That includes space external to the body that encloses the brain.

But what i want to know is this. Is 1 (as compared to 2), consistent with ortega? I know 2 is, but i just cannot seem to get a confirmation or denial that 1 is consistent with ortega. IF SPACE EXISTS OUTSIDE THE BODY then does it undermine ortega, or make no difference? The reason i want to know is so that i can understand the possibilities within ortega's scheme. Is he rejecting space outside the brain as a fact (because it undermines his scheme), but insists that the belief in it is nevertheless a useful tool (and then perhaps goes on to say that there is so little difference between 1 and 2, that it is pointless to ask)?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 08:22 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;139499 wrote:
Logos is the creative process, and learning is the infusion of the creative process with the individual mind. The mind can only learn through the process of learning, which is through language from the society; however, the society is made up of individual minds. Its quite an interesting circle.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 08:27 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;139503 wrote:
Do black holes exist? If the answer is yes, then how we know they exist.

What has that to do with it? Don't we know that Uranus exists? What difference does it make whether or not we know that other things exist, or how we know they do?

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 08:37 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;139770 wrote:
What difference does it make whether or not we know that other things exist, or how we know they do?

Are you joking? I am the kind of person that do care how i know something.
I would guess if you don` t care how you know, then you probably don ` t know as much as you think.

longknowledge

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:19 pm
@pagan,
pagan;139642 wrote:
Smile and that exactly illustrates the point i was making when i said ....

I am aware that science is always positing all sorts of things, that are unfounded even by its own methods. fair enough. That includes space external to the body that encloses the brain.

But what i want to know is this. Is 1 (as compared to 2), consistent with ortega? I know 2 is, but i just cannot seem to get a confirmation or denial that 1 is consistent with ortega. IF SPACE EXISTS OUTSIDE THE BODY then does it undermine ortega, or make no difference? The reason i want to know is so that i can understand the possibilities within ortega's scheme. Is he rejecting space outside the brain as a fact (because it undermines his scheme), but insists that the belief in it is nevertheless a useful tool (and then perhaps goes on to say that there is so little difference between 1 and 2, that it is pointless to ask)?

Sorry for not giving you a more direct answer previously. What Ortega would reject is the concept that "space" constitutes a "reality" as a part of the radical reality that is my life. No one has ever seen "space". However, he would not reject the possibility that the hypothesis of "space" existing independent of the reality experienced by the person could be a useful tool to explain the phenomena we experience. But that hypothesis of "space" can only be disproven or failed to be disproven by "experimenting" or testing it against the phenomena we experience.

The word "fact" comes from the Latin "facere" meaning "make" or "do". Scientists "make" hypotheses and then "make" tests to see if their hypotheses are disproven or fail to be disproven by the phenomena they observe in their tests. These are the "facts." This is all that science can do.

PS: Does "space" exist "inside the body" or "inside the brain"?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:18:26