On The Contrast Between Appearance And Reality

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

MMP2506

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:54 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;132198 wrote:
It would depend on the "something" being considered, but I at least consider the scientific method to be extendable to the formation of other beliefs, and that is why I consider myself a materialist, I see too much of a comparison between the mind and the complete nervous system. Ockham's Razor would have me form the simplest explanation. I could be wrong, but based on the way I form my thoughts I have no practical reason to have serious doubts, although I think entertaining doubts is an important lead in to what beliefs should be formed.

When it comes down to brass tax I am relying on my intuitions, but I feel confident that I have examined a wide range of thoughts on the issue and will remain open minded to those trains of thought even though I am essentially relying on my education, formal and informal, to justify my position. The important thing to preserve is that my position can change as new information is discovered or presented to me.

So you see your beliefs as the best possible options available to you without any eternal truth value attributed to them?

jeeprs

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:25 pm
@Pythagorean,
let's not forget that in practical terms, getting a reliable or true outcome is incredibly important. Science has to provide the basis for engineering, creating machines, structures, medicines, and so on, all of which are reliant on very precise knowledge of very specific matters in situations where getting it right has very serious implications. So in regards to all of thse practical issues, the scientific method is completely indispensable. So then if you ask yourself, what about the kinds of truths that can't be made subject to the scientific method - questions of meaning, purpose, and value - then how do you proceed? I think philosophy has previously tried to bring the rigour of the scientific method to philosophical questions which might be a noble aspiration, but it is very hard to do. I think Husserl said this is what we wanted to do - examine 'experience' with the rigour of science. And broadly this is what Reconstructo, quoting Hegel, is talking about with regards to the 'first science' i.e. matters of ultimate import and meaning. This is what metaphysics is supposed to address although not many will consider it nowadays for various reasons.

MMP2506

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:33 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;132213 wrote:
let's not forget that in practical terms, getting a reliable or true outcome is incredibly important. Science has to provide the basis for engineering, creating machines, structures, medicines, and so on, all of which are reliant on very precise knowledge of very specific matters in situations where getting it right has very serious implications. So in regards to all of thse practical issues, the scientific method is completely indispensable. So then if you ask yourself, what about the kinds of truths that can't be made subject to the scientific method - questions of meaning, purpose, and value - then how do you proceed? I think philosophy has previously tried to bring the rigour of the scientific method to philosophical questions which might be a noble aspiration, but it is very hard to do. I think Husserl said this is what we wanted to do - examine 'experience' with the rigour of science. And broadly this is what Reconstructo, quoting Hegel, is talking about with regards to the 'first science' i.e. matters of ultimate import and meaning. This is what metaphysics is supposed to address although not many will consider it nowadays for various reasons.

Thats exactly what Husserl was attempting. Next year I am going start studying with a Psychologist that employs a modified Husserlian descriptive method to qualitative data, and the results of the data is said to be the essence of phenomenal act.

The theory here is that the term science should include much more than just the natural sciences, and that the term method should also include much more than just the current scientific method. The idea is that there are truths to be found that can't necessarily be measured, and that methods are available to study them.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 01:54 am
@Pythagorean,
I have mentioned before that metaphysics requires meta-cognition.

This is not actually mysterious. Meta-cognitive skills are recognised in the context of understanding how people learn. A person who understands their own learning style and develops a learning strategy is said to have meta-cognitive skills. So it is a concept that is widely used in education.

In the context of philosophy, the meaning is the same but the implications are different. Awareness of one's own cognitive capacity would amount to a meta-cognitive analysis. Descartes' Cogito is an obvious example of meta-cognitive analysis. In this analysis, Descartes is asking himself, what is the most fundamental basis of knowledge, the one apodictic fact that everything else can be built on. The Cogito is part of the answer to that question. And of course, this was the culmination, or Descartes interpretation of, the whole tradition of such questioning, going back to Plato and Aristotle.

Why is this distinction useful? Because when we are asking questions about the nature of knowledge, we are not necessarily questioning the reality of the external world in an obvious or gross manner. We are questioning the nature of our own awareness and asking ourselves how we know what we know. It is as much about questioning the nature of what we know, or think we know, as questioning the nature of objects of perception. I think it is fair to say that natural science will always start from the presumption that nature herself is real, or at least will not start by asking the question, is there a more fundamental level of reality than nature. Whereas philosophy will at least entertain the idea that there might be different levels or deeper causes or some aspect of being which is not fully disclosed by the examination of nature as such.

Now it seems to me that to insist that ordinary cognition, or our common-sense perception of the world, is the touchstone of reality, that against which everything else should be judged, really denies the possibility of any kind of meta-cognitive strategy before you even set out. So, as Pythagorean remarked above, this really amounts to an anti-philosophy. It might clothe itself in philosophical verbiage, but it doesn't really amount to a deep questioning of one's assumptions about the nature of reality. It more or less starts at the same place as natural science, and then demands justification for the asking of philosophical questions.

It is actually an irony that this is nowadays called skepticism, in my opinion.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:09 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;132186 wrote:

This doesn't mean that reality is only dependent upon our own mind and we can slip into solipsism. I think that is where people have trouble with this perspective. Even reality as we experience is greatly impacted by other minds.

I agree. Kant always stressed that concept without experience was empty, and he had to derive the categories from experience in the first place.

As far as other minds go, yes! I totally agree. We don't speak a private language but a shared language that can only make sense in the context of social practice/bodily reality. Objectivity is social, not mind-independent. It is ideally subject-neutral, or experiencable by most if not by all. This subject-neutrality is misunderstood as "mind-independent reality," by those who have not addressed the issues of Being/consciousness/qualia, and also the limits of conception. Conceptualization remains, for the confused, unconscious to itself.

The Transcendental Ego is a synonym for being, consciousness, totality, nothingness. Self-generated concept in relation to an otherwise unknowable something is the meaningful aspect of our experience. But these concepts have a dialectical relationship with one another. The history of philosophy is man's struggle for perfect world-consciousness which he discovers to be self-consciousness. Idealism made man conscious that he was the creator of meaning if not the unknown source of sensation, qualia. But this meaning (concepts) is often created socially, sometimes by leaps of thought by men like Plato, Spinoza, Kant, Hegel, Jung, Nietzsche..

---------- Post added 02-25-2010 at 03:55 AM ----------

I just bumped into this footnote in Kojeve.
Quote:

I see no objection to saying that the natural World eludes conceptual understanding. Indeed, this would only mean that the existence of Nature is revealed by mathematical algorthm, for example, and not by concepts--that is by words having a meaning. Now, modern physics leads in the end to this result: one cannot speak of the physical reality without contradictions; as soon as one passes from algorthm to verbal description, one contradicts himself (particle-waves for example). Hence there would be no discourse revealing the physical or natural reality. This reality (as presented as early as Galileo) would be revealed to man only by the articulated silence of algorthm.....Now it does seem that algorthm, being nontemporal, does not reveal Life. But neither does dialectic. Therefore it may be necessary to combine Plato's conception(for the mathematical, or better, geometrical, substructure of the world) with Aristotle's (for its biological structure) and Kant's (for its physical, or better, dynamic, structure), while reserving Hegelian dialectic for Man and History..

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:10 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;132160 wrote:

---------- Post added 02-24-2010 at 10:07 PM ----------

-------- Post added 02-24-2010 at 10:08 PM ----------

Your experience of your left shoe is the only left shoe you've got.

Can that really be true? Then, I am indeed, impoverished. And, worse, it is raining, and I will have a very wet left foot!

Where did you ever get the idea that the experience of X is identical with X?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:16 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132282 wrote:
Can that really be true? Then, I am indeed, impoverished. And, worse, it is raining, and I will have a very wet left foot!

Where did you ever get the idea that the experience of X is identical with X?

...even memory evolves and re-aligns itself...so as a perception X is always changing...which means that your left shoe experience, in the present, is the only one you have, as a true experienced left shoe...

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:32 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;132284 wrote:
...even memory evolves and re-aligns itself...so as a perception X is always changing...which means that your left shoe experience, in the present, is the only one you have, as a true experienced left shoe...

So, my left foot is going to be soaked today! Damn!

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 09:42 am
@Pythagorean,
Reconstructo wrote:

Objectivity is social, not mind-independent

Huh? I thought objectivity was mind-independent. I thought subjectivity was what you would call mind-dependent.

MMP2506

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 10:47 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;132311 wrote:
Huh? I thought objectivity was mind-independent. I thought subjectivity was what you would call mind-dependent.

Objectivity in terms of natural science is said to be mind-independent, but the point many people are trying to make here is that any notion of a mind-independent reality is based on a fallacy.

No one person can have an objective experience per se, unless it is based on subjectivity. What is truly objective is the transcendental subjective experience, in which multiple subjective consciousnesses come to a communal understanding; which is how we obtain knowledge. In this sense, the notion that objectivity can exist outside of subjectivity is a myth which arose out of Cartesian Dualism.

---------- Post added 02-25-2010 at 11:20 AM ----------

jeeprs;132237 wrote:
I have mentioned before that metaphysics requires meta-cognition.

Why is this distinction useful? Because when we are asking questions about the nature of knowledge, we are not necessarily questioning the reality of the external world in an obvious or gross manner. We are questioning the nature of our own awareness and asking ourselves how we know what we know. It is as much about questioning the nature of what we know, or think we know, as questioning the nature of objects of perception. I think it is fair to say that natural science will always start from the presumption that nature herself is real, or at least will not start by asking the question, is there a more fundamental level of reality than nature. Whereas philosophy will at least entertain the idea that there might be different levels or deeper causes or some aspect of being which is not fully disclosed by the examination of nature as such.

Now it seems to me that to insist that ordinary cognition, or our common-sense perception of the world, is the touchstone of reality, that against which everything else should be judged, really denies the possibility of any kind of meta-cognitive strategy before you even set out. So, as Pythagorean remarked above, this really amounts to an anti-philosophy. It might clothe itself in philosophical verbiage, but it doesn't really amount to a deep questioning of one's assumptions about the nature of reality. It more or less starts at the same place as natural science, and then demands justification for the asking of philosophical questions.

It is actually an irony that this is nowadays called skepticism, in my opinion.

Traditionally all of philosophy has been based off metaphysics, with the understanding that any epistemic knowledge can only be gained with a true understanding of the metaphysical world. Today, natural science has bypassed metaphysics and allows for an agnostic mentality to govern what is known about the world.

If you start with agnosticism, however, you are starting with an irrational axiom, as you are admitting that some things are not yet properly understood, so any epistemic "truth" that follows will also be irrational. In that sense, agnosticism is no different from relativism or idealism in which case there really is no truth to be known.

From my standpoint, I believe there are truths in life which can be discovered, but they aren't going to be discovered without a proper understanding of our own and others experience, as experience is the foundation of all knowledge.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:29 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;132330 wrote:
Objectivity in terms of natural science is said to be mind-independent, but the point many people are trying to make here is that any notion of a mind-independent reality is based on a fallacy.

So, the belief that we all have, that the Moon existed before minds existed is based on a fallacy. Do you think that belief is false, or do you just believe that we cannot know that it is true?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:36 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132347 wrote:
So, the belief that we all have, that the Moon existed before minds existed is based on a fallacy. Do you think that belief is false, or do you just believe that we cannot know that it is true?

I will tell you what I think on this:

Mind and the Moon are Eternal...if they exist in Time even only for one second, they cannot be erased from existence...plus, if there where no minds, this BEING would be something else that we cannot refer to, once this BEING it is what it is, then we can only refer to it...and in it, minds and objects are dependent from the initial conditions, so consequently linked !

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 11:52 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;132352 wrote:
I will tell you what I think on this:

Mind and the Moon are Eternal...if they exist in Time even only for one second, they cannot be erased from existence...plus, if there where no minds, this BEING would be something else that we cannot refer to, once this BEING it is what it is, then we can only refer to it...and in it, minds and objects are dependent from the initial conditions, so consequently linked !

Is that what you think? Why didn't you say so to begin with? Then this conversation would not have taken place.

MMP2506

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:04 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132347 wrote:

Anything we know about the Moon could not have existed before minds existed because everything we know about the Moon is dependent upon how minds have constituted that knowledge.

It is probable that there was some big chunk of matter up in space before minds existed, I will give you that, but all we can truly know about the Moon is what our experience allows us to know. Anything else is just speculation.

The fallacy is placing truth value upon something that can't be truly known, and the existence of the Moon before the mind can not be 100% known as truth. If you are happy with saying what is probable constitutes truth, then you and I simply have different definitions of truth.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:15 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;132364 wrote:
Anything we know about the Moon could not have existed before minds existed because everything we know about the Moon is dependent upon how minds have constituted that knowledge.

I certainly agree with that. But how does that have anything to do with whether the Moon is mind-dependent?

I cannot know whether the number of stars in the universe is an odd number, or an even number. But I know that either it is true that it is an odd number, or it is true that it is an even number. Therefore, I can place a truth value on what I do not know is true. QED. Whether a proposition is true or not does not in the least depend on whether it is known to be true.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132359 wrote:
Is that what you think? Why didn't you say so to begin with? Then this conversation would not have taken place.

MMP2506

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:27 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;132373 wrote:
I certainly agree with that. But how does that have anything to do with whether the Moon is mind-dependent?

I cannot know whether the number of stars in the universe is an odd number, or an even number. But I know that either it is true that it is an odd number, or it is true that it is an even number. Therefore, I can place a truth value on what I do not know is true. QED.

What existed before the mind wasn't the Moon. The essence of the Moon can only exist because the mind constituted it. The word Moon, the idea of evolving around the Earth, the knowledge about craters which cover it; these are all concepts which have been constituted by minds, therefore they're mind dependent characteristics.

It may seem like splitting hairs, but philosophy is an attempt to gain true wisdom, in which case you can't start with what is probable.

The point is we may not even completely understand stars. Sure it is probable that there is an indeterminate number of stars, but it is also possible that stars are something completely different, which numbers wouldn't justly describe. The point of philosophy is to start with what is known and go from there, while natural science starts with what is probable. Which is fine, as jeeprs already pointed out, when dealing with aspects of life in which science can be useful, but what science can't due is bring us to universal truths, which is what philosophy attempts to find.

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:32 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Would it be fair to say that everyone has at least an implicit metaphysical stand-point?

Everyone's opinion must have some basis upon which it rests. But no ultimate metaphysical position can be proven to be true, at least at this current time.

I am an Idealist but I respect Materialists immensely and have learned a great deal of things from them. I don't believe that there exists any absolute objective reality. For me no physical object can be absolute in itself. There are no absolute existing physical objects. And ultimately it is not meaningful to attempt a total comprehension of physical substance. Of course, philosophically such ontological inquiries are indispensable.

For me it is the metaphysics of human experiences that is ultimate. Philosophy- epistemology and metaphysics- is a way to reach the most advantageous point of the thinking mind; the achievement of the greatest experiences.

--Pyth

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:36 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;132377 wrote:
What existed before the mind wasn't the Moon. The essence of the Moon can only exist because the mind constituted it. The word Moon, the idea of evolving around the Earth, the knowledge about craters which cover it; these are all concepts which have been constituted by minds, therefore they're mind dependent characteristics.

Our beliefs (concepts) about the Moon, and the word, "Moon", are mind-dependent. But the Moon is not mind-dependent. You really have to distinguish between beliefs or concepts, and what it is that they are concepts of, and beliefs about.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:37 pm
@Pythagorean,

---------- Post added 02-25-2010 at 01:38 PM ----------

kennethamy;132384 wrote:
Our beliefs (concepts) about the Moon, and the word, "Moon", are mind-dependent. But the Moon is not mind-dependent. You really have to distinguish between beliefs or concepts, and what it is that they are concepts of, and beliefs about.

...X, which is something rather then nothing !!! (at the very least they refer to BEING)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 02:09:30