On The Contrast Between Appearance And Reality

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

prothero

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:09 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;135536 wrote:
Now the question is whether evolutionary science, or even science generally, does imply that human intelligence is somehow accidental or fortuitous. Most scientifically-oriented thinkers seem to answer the question in the affirmative. And this is where there is a collision between natural science and Western philosophy, in my view. Scientists seem to think that any idea of the pre-destination or inevitability of the emergence of human intelligence is a religious idea. Well - is it?
Science of course does not answer this question at all in the affirmative or in the negative.

Science did clearly undermine the doctrine of special creation, fixity of species, supernaturalism and young earth creationism. The inablity of religion to respond adequately to this challenge seems to have damaged all forms of religon by association.

The idea that the universe is founded on reason and intelligence and has a striving for certain ends or purposes is I would say a rational speculation one that has been comtemplated since the beginnings of philosophy and strongly embedded in the Western tradition.

The idea that life and mind are mere accidental happenings in an otherwise mechanical machine like insensate universe is also a rational speculation, in my view with less evidence than the notion that the universe has some kind of rational intelligent foundation.

So it may be a religous notion (of a sort) but it is not the religious notion of medieval Christian scholasticism or of supernatural theism.

So the question is "do you feel lucky, punk, Well do ya, go ahead make my day"

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;135536 wrote:

Now the question is whether evolutionary science, or even science generally, does imply that human intelligence is somehow accidental or fortuitous. Most scientifically-oriented thinkers seem to answer the question in the affirmative. And this is where there is a collision between natural science and Western philosophy, in my view. Scientists seem to think that any idea of the pre-destination or inevitability of the emergence of human intelligence is a religious idea. Well - is it?

Now, I think that this distinction is the proper one.

If evolution were not accidental then it would seem to be related in some sense to mind or idea for this would be the obvious meaning of non-accidental.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:25 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;135558 wrote:
Now, I think that this distinction is the proper one.

If evolution were not accidental then it would seem to be related in some sense to mind or idea for this would be the obvious meaning of non-accidental.

I'm not clear on how you're using the word "accident" here.

If you're using the most common sense of "accident", you seem to be presupposing that there is a being capable of lacking intention, and having mishaps.

What exactly do you mean when you say, "If evolution were not accidental"?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:30 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135539 wrote:
It was an accident, and I did not intend to do it. I may have been clumsy, but that does not have anything to do with whether I intended to do it. That is how the word "accident" is used in English. You must have exactly the same concept in Portugal.

All accidents are accidental. That is a tautology.

P.S. I tried to find a way of putting in the word, "Logos", so you would think you understood what I wrote, but I could not find a way of doing it. Sorry.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:31 pm
@Pythagorean,
Can we say whether causality is a concept imposed by the human mind?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:35 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;135536 wrote:
It was Pythagorean's question:

Now the question is whether evolutionary science, or even science generally, does imply that human intelligence is somehow accidental or fortuitous.

"Somehow accidental" how? In the sense that human intelligence is not the product of an some intention, I suppose. But not in the sense that human intelligence has no cause. Has any scientist suggested that? You have to distinguish between those two senses of "accidental", and not infer that because someone thinks that human intelligence is not a product of intention, that it is not a product of any cause. That, of course, would be fallacious. It commits the fallacy of equivocation.

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:44 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;135565 wrote:

If you're using the most common sense of "accident", you seem to be presupposing that there is a being capable of lacking intention, and having mishaps.

Purely accidental as in Atomism where 'stuff' falling through a void merely happened to arrange itself in time in such a way as to produce human minds. In the theory of Atomism there is generally no intention or lack of intention involved.

north

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:45 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;135572 wrote:

no

biological evolution is a case in point

adaption

Pythagorean

@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135573 wrote:
"Somehow accidental" how? In the sense that human intelligence is not the product of an some intention, I suppose. But not in the sense that human intelligence has no cause. Has any scientist suggested that? You have to distinguish between those two senses of "accidental", and not infer that because someone thinks that human intelligence is not a product of intention, that it is not a product of any cause. That, of course, would be fallacious. It commits the fallacy of equivocation.

But it wasn't just a cause in your view, it was 'natural laws'.

Fil Albuquerque

@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;135572 wrote:

That is more like saying, If Cause is Caused by mind...
The question is what is mind if not Law of aggregation...
Mind is Dialectics...and Mind in the broader sense is everywhere...
Cause is caused by everything and everything is the result of Cause...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:51 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;135565 wrote:

I imagine he means that evolution has no cause. Why he should think that I cannot say. There are two senses of "accidental". 1. Not intentional 2. Has no cause. He seems to think that if it is accidental in sense 1, it is accidental in sense, 2. But, of course, that is fallacious. It commits the fallacy of equivocation.

'Logic is logic, that's all I can say". Oliver Wendall Holmes.

north

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:52 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
things are independent of mind

and it is these things are what make up mind in the first place

prothero

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 03:58 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;135565 wrote:
Evolution is a process, the purpose of which may be novelty, creation, endless forms beautiful and wondrous. Of course, cosmology is also an evolutionary process of sorts and for me process is primary reality.

Creation is an ongoing process, not a completed event.
Man is not the purpose of creation but a result of it.
No particular event or "object" is the purpose of creation, it is creativity itself that is the purpose and process that is the means. IMHO.

pagan

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:11 pm
@kennethamy,
well i would like to draw attention to a previous post regarding fallibility and science.

There is fallibility in the positive sense in which the theories put forward by science are declared potentially fallible and that fallibilty should be fervently looked for to the limit of breaking any scientific theory, by science, and therefore for scientific progress to occur.

However, there is now a potential fallibility within that very paradigm of progress for finding truth. It resides in the assumption that any new theory is testable to breaking point.

This is now taken very seriously by the top scientists within physics. It has arisen in the new 'many worlds' theory. In this theory which gives potential eplanation to the creation of our universe at the big band, our universe is conceived as one of infinite other universes. However, each universe has a very particular set of fundamental constant values. eg the gravitational constant, the electric charge, planck's constant and so on. What this means is that there are very different universes 'out there'.

BUT it also turns out from the mathematics of this theory that even the minutest change in some of these constants yields very different universes. In particular the cosmological constant.

This constant was assumed to be zero for many years. Recently however, it has been possible to measure it and it turns out to be a microscopically small number. Zero to the 119th decimal place. ie it varies from zero minutely. BUT in addition to that, latest calculations show that if the CC were not zero at the 119th decimal place, life would not be possible in such a universe. Moreover there seems to be no reason why it couldn't be, and therefore it si postulated that in fact there are far more universes without life than with life. A life holding universe looks incredibly rare under this theory. And the many worlds theory puts forward predictions that other theories do not at present.

However, there is a major problem with the many worlds theory, it postulates that for all but a very rare set of universes, any universe is moving away from the other universes at greater than the speed of light. ie the chances of two universes colliding is vanishingly small. The problem arises in that it would be impossible to test this many world theory without measuring the effects of two colliding universes, and in particular a collision with ours. We can only do science in our universe. So ......... the theory predicts that there is a vanishingly small probabilty that the many worlds theory itself can be fully and crucially tested!

This means that any rival scientific theory that also predicts all measurable behaviour within this universe. but does not propose the existence of other universes, cannot also be tested in its proposal that this universe is unique. This is an intellectual catastrophe for science that is waiting to happen.

The anthropomorthic principle is such a rival theory. This means that the special design or not of this universe very probably is not testable by science. ie we can only choose to believe one or the other ........ and science cannot challenge either belief.

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135586 wrote:
I imagine he means that evolution has no cause. Why he should think that I cannot say. There are two senses of "accidental". 1. Not intentional 2. Has no cause. He seems to think that if it is accidental in sense 1, it is accidental in sense, 2. But, of course, that is fallacious. It commits the fallacy of equivocation.

'Logic is logic, that's all I can say". Oliver Wendall Holmes.

In what sense would an accidental cause not be a cause? What is so difficult about the term "purely accidental"? If you can't understand the term "purely accidental" then it seems that it is your fault and not mine.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:40 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;135618 wrote:
In what sense would an accidental cause not be a cause? What is so difficult about the term "purely accidental"? If you can't understand the term "purely accidental" then it seems that it is your fault and not mine.

Since there's no difficulty, why can't you tell us which sense you are using?

jeeprs

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:48 pm
@pagan,
I think I can see a consensus here, which is that the question is very difficult, and much more difficult than many suppose. In some ways, that is all I want to establish. I have no interest in proving that Deity exists, or doesn't exist, for example. But I think it is important to recognise that it is still a real question, and may always be.

Nevertheless

pagan;135610 wrote:
it also turns out from the mathematics of this theory that even the minutest change in some of these constants yields very different universes. In particular the cosmological constant.

This constant was assumed to be zero for many years. Recently however, it has been possible to measure it and it turns out to be a microscopically small number. Zero to the 119th decimal place. ie it varies from zero minutely. BUT in addition to that, latest calculations show that if the CC were not zero at the 119th decimal place, life would not be possible in such a universe. Moreover there seems to be no reason why it couldn't be, and therefore it si postulated that in fact there are far more universes without life than with life. A life holding universe looks incredibly rare under this theory. And the many worlds theory puts forward predictions that other theories do not at present.

However, there is a major problem with the many worlds theory, it postulates that for all but a very rare set of universes, any universe is moving away from the other universes at greater than the speed of light. ie the chances of two universes colliding is vanishingly small. The problem arises in that it would be impossible to test this many world theory without measuring the effects of two colliding universes, and in particular a collision with ours. We can only do science in our universe. So ......... the theory predicts that there is a vanishingly small probabilty that the many worlds theory itself can be fully and crucially tested!

This means that any rival scientific theory that also predicts all measurable behaviour within this universe. but does not propose the existence of other universes, cannot also be tested in its proposal that this universe is unique. This is an intellectual catastrophe for science that is waiting to happen.

The anthropomorthic principle is such a rival theory. This means that the special design or not of this universe very probably is not testable by science. ie we can only choose to believe one or the other ........ and science cannot challenge either belief.

A very important point. I think in all this, that the tide has turned against the idea that science implies that everything in the the Universe arises as an 'accidental collocation of atoms', as Bertrand Russell put it. The facts presented by the cosmological anthropic principle are very suggestive of the inevitability of the emergence of intelligent life from the instant of the Big Bang. There is hardly any wonder why theologians have siezed on it.

On the other side, it appears that the only philosophical rebuttal is the 'many universes' theory, the idea that 'this' universe is only one among a possible infinite series of universes, nearly all of which are not suitable for life of any kind.

But why this is regarded as a scientific argument is completely beyond me.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:53 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;135618 wrote:

What is an accidental cause? Could you give me an example of that? But, I did not say that an accidental cause is not a cause. How could I have? I have no idea what an accidental cause would be.

I think I understand the term, "purely accidental". Doesn't it mean that what is purely accidental was not intended? For example, suppose a waiter spilled the soup on a diner because the waiter slipped on the wet floor. Well his spilling the soup would be purely accidental, since he had no intention whatsoever of spilling the soup. What else do you think it might mean?

prothero

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:57 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;135635 wrote:

Why
the notion that reason intelligence and purpose may be inherent in reality is unscientific and irrational
and
The notion that the universe is blind, indifferent, and purposeless is scientific and rational

Is beyond me. They both look like rational philosopohical specualtions to me. Neither one looks scientific.

pagan

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 04:59 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
jeeprs
On the other side, it appears that the only philosophical rebuttal is the 'many universes' theory, the idea that 'this' universe is only one among a possible infinite series of universes, nearly all of which are not suitable for life of any kind.

yes i agree totally, and also repeat my conclusion in my other post that expresses what you say in a similar way using other commonly held words and concepts....

Quote:
If our senses aren't complete, and our measuring apparatus isn't complete then where does that leave us? It leaves us with yet another loss in various meanings of the word objective .... that is quite clearly unravelling at the seams.

If the word objective unravels, what possible use is the phrase 'objective reality'? What does it mean to the person who uses it, who also understands its historical arc? Does it not necessarily mean a kind of metaphysical faith under such circumstances?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 01:38:28