On The Contrast Between Appearance And Reality

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:02 pm
@pagan,
pagan;135642 wrote:
yes i agree totally, and also repeat my conclusion in my other post that expresses what you say in a similar way using other commonly held words and concepts....

Don't people mean by "objective reality" that what is objectively real exists whether or not anyone believes it exists? That is what I always thought it meant.

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135637 wrote:
What is an accidental cause? Could you give me an example of that? But, I did not say that an accidental cause is not a cause. How could I have? I have no idea what an accidental cause would be.

I think I understand the term, "purely accidental". Doesn't it mean that what is purely accidental was not intended? For example, suppose a waiter spilled the soup on a diner because the waiter slipped on the wet floor. Well his spilling the soup would be purely accidental, since he had no intention whatsoever of spilling the soup. What else do you think it might mean?

Non intentional will suffice.

But I was agreeing with jeeprs position: Evolutionary Scientists tend to attribute 'non-intentional causes' to the evolutionary process because to do otherwise is to equate those causes in some sense with mind or idea, which supports other theological claims.

-

Zetherin

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:09 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;135647 wrote:

But I was agreeing with jeeprs position: Evolutionary Scientists tend to attribute 'non-intentional causes' to the evolutionary process because to do otherwise is to equate those causes in some sense with mind or idea, which supports other theological claims.

-

Non-intentional was the sense you were using? Well, doesn't that presuppose that there is something which could be intentional (or non-intentional) in the first place?

north

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:11 pm
@prothero,
prothero;135596 wrote:
Evolution is a process, the purpose of which may be novelty, creation, endless forms beautiful and wondrous. Of course, cosmology is also an evolutionary process of sorts and for me process is primary reality.

Creation is an ongoing process, not a completed event.
Man is not the purpose of creation but a result of it.
No particular event or "object" is the purpose of creation, it is creativity itself that is the purpose and process that is the means. IMHO.

exactly

the Universe gives life a place to exist

pagan

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:16 pm
@Zetherin,
i think that those of you who believe that it will be possible to prove that evolution theory shows no predestination to design, and therefore universal design cannot be implied from it, should recognise the possible implications for the many worlds/anthropomorphic theories.

Even if evolution can be tested to as such, it is undermined by the potential and very real possibility that the anthropomorphic universe undermines evolution as the fundamental theory to consider in your philosophical regard. ie in a universe that cannot be proven by science (and predicted as such by science) to be other than intentional design........ then what significance is there that evolution fails to support design?

north

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:20 pm
@pagan,
pagan;135653 wrote:
i think that those of you who believe that it will be possible to prove that evolution theory shows no predestination to design, and therefore universal design cannot be implied from it, should recognise the possible implications for the many worlds/anthropomorphic theories.

Even if evolution can be tested to as such, it is undermined by the potential and very real possibility that the anthropomorphic universe undermines evolution as the fundamental theory to consider in your philosophical regard. ie in a universe that cannot be proven by science (and predicted as such by science) to be other than intentional design........ then what significance is there that evolution fails to support design?

fossil genes , to your last statement

prothero

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:39 pm
@north,
north;135650 wrote:
exactly
the Universe gives life a place to exist
Well everyone likes to be agreed with. But somehow, from your other entries, I think you might misinterpret what I meant to say. Creativity itself is a purpose, THE purpose.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:04 pm
@prothero,
prothero;135639 wrote:
Why
the notion that reason intelligence and purpose may be inherent in reality is unscientific and irrational
and
The notion that the universe is blind, indifferent, and purposeless is scientific and rational

Is beyond me. They both look like rational philosopohical specualtions to me. Neither one looks scientific.

Well at this exact point, I think we are dealing with historically conditioned ideas of what constitutes science, and what opposes it. And again, the tide really is turning. The times, they are a'changin'. In cosmology, you have the anthropic and biocentric arguments, all proposed by scientists. In physics, you have a great deal of support for various versions of idealism or pythagoreanism, again provided by very able scientists such as James Jeans, Heisenberg, and Bernard D'espagnet. The argument that has been discussed at great length elsewhere about the idea of DNA as coded information, and the implications of that, is a very strong argument indeed.

All up, I would say the idealists are on the winning side at this point in history and that the days of the materialist metaphysics are well and truly numbered. (Say your prayers, Dennett!) And this is because I don't think science itself can support materialism any more. It aimed to ground itself squarely in a materialist ontology, and instead, it has fallen clean through it!

Sean OConnor

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:11 pm
@Pythagorean,
The idea that there is any kind of consistent reality contradicts itself for the only other word for that is omniscience which would have to make the omniscient to be God, for the Universe, most metaphysically speaking IS by all means a mystery. And so the next question has to be what to make of the mystery. Here comes the great challenge because we must perceive in a way which we can learn. Learn processes and meanings. But let us not confuse processes and meanings with some wide spread reality, because again, such is a mystery. The right thing to do, I believe, in this context is to delve deeper into our meanings and ethics and ask our selves how we treat ourselves, our environment, one another. I agree with you that science is not the answer. And it doesn't suffice to say "well I think x y and z therefore x, y, and z" however, none the less, we do have to take in account that people think things regardless of proof or anything which we can always understand.

pagan

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:26 pm
@Sean OConnor,
hi sean
Quote:

sean o connor
we do have to take in account that people think things regardless of proof or anything which we can always understand.
well yes i agree. But in the context of these metaphysical statements of science, which reveals its inherent incompleteness, how do we proceed? Personally i am a multi narrative dude. I recognise it in myself, and in my past (even though i wouldn't have admitted it at the time). I also recognise it in others, whether they agree with me or not Smile

But what does delving deeper mean in such a philosophical context? Education? Well what does that mean if the metaphysical questions are ultimately unprovable? Should we educate one way or the other?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:26 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;135647 wrote:

-

I don't know what their motive is for ascribing non-intentional causes. And I don't see how you do. It might only be that they have no evidence for intentional causes. What do you think?

Zetherin

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135682 wrote:
I don't know what their motive is for ascribing non-intentional causes. And I don't see how you do. It might only be that they have no evidence for intentional causes. What do you think?

Wait, I don't get the distinction between non-intentional and intentional causes. Can you explain? Isn't something non-intentional... an accident. So, we're talking about something accidental or deliberated? What does that have to do with causes?

Sean OConnor

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:42 pm
@pagan,
What a great question! One of the most important one's posed for this day and age, and also, perfect, distinct, and clear.
I think the best way to address this is first to look at any intelligent "thinking" as a process of valuing an ever fluctuating hierarchy of concepts. On that note, there is both implications of an attitude reflected in how we value, such as the will to live and flourish, and then the more pragmatic; which leads us to "tendencies." I believe these tendencies are tools to create new tendencies, for a new thought is a new tendency in itself. As we evolve we will probably learn how to increase our use of thoughts in this way.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:45 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;135684 wrote:
Wait, I don't get the distinction between non-intentional and intentional causes. Can you explain? Isn't something non-intentional... an accident. So, we're talking about something accidental or deliberated? What does that have to do with causes?

An example of a non-intentional cause would be my slipping on a banana peel. If I were a clown I could intentionally slip. You don't have to deliberate to do something intentionally. I can, for example comb my hair intentionally without deliberating about it.

The cause of my going into a restaurant may be my intention to go into a restaurant. In fact, that is usually why I go into a restaurant. Isn't it yours? That is an intentional cause. A non-intentional cause would be the cause of my spilling soup. I slipped on a wet floor.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135689 wrote:
An example of a non-intentional cause would be my slipping on a banana peel. If I were a clown I could intentionally slip. You don't have to deliberate to do something intentionally. I can, for example comb my hair intentionally without deliberating about it.

The cause of my going into a restaurant may be my intention to go into a restaurant. In fact, that is usually why I go into a restaurant. Isn't it yours? That is an intentional cause. A non-intentional cause would be the cause of my spilling soup. I slipped on a wet floor.

You slipping on a banana peel is an example of an accident. The cause of you falling unintentionally was the banana peel. The cause of going into the restaurant was your choosing to go into the restaurant. The cause, itself, has nothing to do with intention or non-intention.

But I'll work with you.

How can someone assign an intentional or unintentional cause to something which is not capable of being intentional or unintentional? What does assigning a non-intentional cause to the universe, or evolution, mean? It is saying that evolution didn't intend to evolve things? :listening:

Sean OConnor

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 06:52 pm
@kennethamy,
Also, to what extent is it your attention to be more or less aware and preventive of "accidents". I think more so than tow hat extent something is or is not intentional is how conscious and aware versus how sunconscious or unaware we may be at any given point in time

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 07:12 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;135692 wrote:
You slipping on a banana peel is an example of an accident. The cause of you falling unintentionally was the banana peel. The cause of going into the restaurant was your choosing to go into the restaurant. The cause, itself, has nothing to do with intention or non-intention.

But I'll work with you.

How can someone assign an intentional or unintentional cause to something which is not capable of being intentional or unintentional? What does assigning a non-intentional cause to the universe, or evolution, mean? It is saying that evolution didn't intend to evolve things? :listening:

If I stumble, and I tread on your toe, and cause you pain, isn't my treading on your toe a non-intentional cause of your pain? I certainly did not intend to cause you pain, but my treading on your toe caused you the have pain.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 07:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135689 wrote:

In the context of this debate, 'intentionality' is intrinsic to the idea of cause. Is saying that life simply has material or physical causes ipso facto to say the origin of life is unintentional - that 'it just happened'? Most of the proponents of evolutionary philosophy on the forum will insist that this is indeed the way to understand the origin of life, and the only question is, how did the material circumstances arise which caused it to spontaneously occur. They also insist that great strides are being made in unravelling the specifics, although about that, I remain skeptical.

I suppose it is a subtle matter. I can certainly envisage the spontaneous emergence of life. But I am inclined to argue that something can emerge, only if it has first been merged. It is like the manifestation of a latent property. So if life and intelligence is after all a latent property of the Universe, it would seem to me that even if you completely support the main idea of evolutionary theory (which I do), the emergence is only possible because it is already latent within the fabric of the Universe. In which case, one can envisage both a principle of design, on the basis of the deeply embedded order within nature, and the spontaneous emergence of life. It emerges spontaneously, because the nature of the Universe is such, that this will occur whenever the circumstances are propitious.

All part of the plan, it could be said.

The problem I have with the idea of life arising 'without cause' or without intention, is where then exactly does intention start? (and the same question can be asked of reason, purpose, cause and meaning, in every single sense of those words.) Does it start with the advent of self-consciousness on the part of Homo? It is not a bad proposal and seems quite logical. However this once again points to the issue we discussed many pages back, about the relationship between our rational faculties, and the rational characteristics of an environment which can call this capacity forth, and which can only be discerned by a rational creature, such as ourselves. Again, number, in particular, and meaning, in a more general sense, seems intrinsic to nature as well as to the human mind. But in an important sense it precedes us.

No answers here, but very interesting questions, I feel.

Sean OConnor

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 07:30 pm
@jeeprs,
I'm not sure there is a real argument against free will, and that being said the evolution of the universe is greatly conscious, subconscious, and in relation to the extent we contrast and interconnect one another's thinking. There are almost more pressing questions, less speculative and more focused on where we would like to see social consciousness go, and why

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 07:31 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;135699 wrote:
In the context of this debate, 'intentionality' is intrinsic to the idea of cause. Is saying that life simply has material or physical causes ipso facto to say the origin of life is unintentional - that 'it just happened'? Most of the proponents of evolutionary philosophy on the forum will insist that this is indeed the way to understand the origin of life, and the only question is, how did the material circumstances arise which caused it to spontaneously occur. They also insist that great strides are being made in unravelling the specifics, although about that, I remain skeptical.

I suppose it is a subtle matter. I can certainly envisage the spontaneous emergence of life. But I am inclined to argue that something can emerge, only if it has first been merged. It is like the manifestation of a latent property. So if life and intelligence is after all a latent property of the Universe, it would seem to me that even if you completely support the main idea of evolutionary theory (which I do), the emergence is only possible because it is already latent within the fabric of the Universe. In which case, one can envisage both a principle of design, on the basis of the deeply embedded order within nature, and the spontaneous emergence of life. It emerges spontaneously, because the nature of the Universe is such, that this will occur whenever the circumstances are propitious.

All part of the plan, it could be said.

The problem I have with the idea of life arising 'without cause' or without intention, is where then exactly does intention start? (and the same question can be asked of reason, purpose, cause and meaning, in every single sense of those words.) Does it start with the advent of self-consciousness on the part of Homo? It is not a bad proposal and seems quite logical. However this once again points to the issue we discussed many pages back, about the relationship between our rational faculties, and the rational characteristics of an environment which can call this capacity forth, and which can only be discerned by a rational creature, such as ourselves. Again, number, in particular, and meaning, in a more general sense, seems intrinsic to nature as well as to the human mind. But in an important sense it precedes us.

No answers here, but very interesting questions, I feel.

But how is intentionality intrinsic to the idea of cause if there are non-intentional causes? The other day, the windshield of my car broke because of the extreme cold. Wasn't that a non-intentional cause of the breaking of my windshield?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 02:58:22