Woman being stoned to death Islam Explain

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:41 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;135894 wrote:
Actually it's precisely relevent.

You expect muslims to answer for the disturbing things that happen in their name.

When they or people who think there's a wider issue tell you that it's not a representative behaviour, or that there are caveats attached, or that it's not in their name or that of their particular community - then you accuse them of "excusing the behaviour".

But you do precisely the same thing when presented with a disturbing upshot of your own indirect actions, or things condoned and carried out by your government.

Even though that's actually something you could really do something about. By voting lib dem, or writing to your MP or something.

Who is at fault - moderate muslims who don't do enough (in your eyes) to prevent abuse - or you for excusing our expedient poisonous wonder weaponry?

Or everyone - because we're animals and not actors and this is what being human is like?

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 09:32 AM ----------

Not bizarre - human. Everyone is connected to shite, and everyone defends or excuses their own connections to shite.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 09:35 AM ----------

Well that's obvious.

Look, just don't let it worry you.

Well, Westerners are fortunate to keep their heads on their shoulders in many Middle Eastern places. Middle Easterners do not seem to have that same problem in London, or in New York City, or indeed, neither is there much of a risk of having their babies deformed. That much is certain. The rest is speculation, if that.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:42 am
@polpol,
polpol;135644 wrote:
You are out of arguments aren't you. That's normal, people who are the result of 4, 5 or 6 hundred years of history can't readilly grasp the realities of people who are the result of 3, 4 or 5 thousand years of history. My guru wants me to give up respect, so I'll just try patience, but not with you, I'm out of here!

Wow, how culturally discriminative can you be, my friend?

Tell your "guru" you still need a lot more patience. Perhaps he/she can also help remove your arrogant and elitist mindset while they're at it.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:46 am
@polpol,
polpol;135644 wrote:
You are out of arguments aren't you. That's normal, people who are the result of 4, 5 or 6 hundred years of history can't readilly grasp the realities of people who are the result of 3, 4 or 5 thousand years of history. My guru wants me to give up respect, so I'll just try patience, but not with you, I'm out of here!

But those 5 thousand year old people seem willing to remain in their first 100 years or so, and, not satisfied with that, want to drag those less ancient people into the year 100 AD. with them. That seems to me the problem.

xris

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:46 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;135894 wrote:
Actually it's precisely relevent.

You expect muslims to answer for the disturbing things that happen in their name.

When they or people who think there's a wider issue tell you that it's not a representative behaviour, or that there are caveats attached, or that it's not in their name or that of their particular community - then you accuse them of "excusing the behaviour".

But you do precisely the same thing when presented with a disturbing upshot of your own indirect actions, or things condoned and carried out by your government.

Even though that's actually something you could really do something about. By voting lib dem, or writing to your MP or something.

Who is at fault - moderate muslims who don't do enough (in your eyes) to prevent abuse - or you for excusing our expedient poisonous wonder weaponry?

Or everyone - because we're animals and not actors and this is what being human is like?

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 09:32 AM ----------

Not bizarre - human. Everyone is connected to shite, and everyone defends or excuses their own connections to shite. Very few people honestly own their shite.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 09:35 AM ----------

Well that's obvious.

Look, just don't let it worry you.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 09:38 AM ----------

Well if we're going to get into bygones let's have a chat about Tasmania.
You just dont get it do you Dave ? well expect you do but this is your only way of diverting the debate. Every nation, every race, including mine has many historic or recent deplorable actions. You are right to mention them but this is not about individual acts but a mind set, an allowance, a constant horror that will be repeated again and again. Its like capital punishment in America and the fundamentalist view on it or the RC church dogmatic approach to contraception. You can bring any of these subjects up but not now.

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:55 am
@xris,
xris;135903 wrote:
You just dont get it do you Dave ? well expect you do but this is your only way of diverting the debate. Every nation, every race, including mine has many historic or recent deplorable actions.
Not historic - we could ratify against it right now.
Quote:
You are right to mention them but this is not about individual acts but a mind set, an allowance, a constant horror that will be repeated again and again.
A human mindset of denying that things are done in your name if you don't like those things even if really they are things you can put pressure on.
Quote:
u Its like capital punishment in America and the fundamentalist view on it or the RC church dogmatic approach to contraception. You can bring any of these subjects up but not now.
Why?

I know why.

Because this is a "watch muslims squirm" thread.

Like the last "watch muslims squirm" thread.

And the one before that.

Because muslims aren't popular.

Because they do some shite.

So let's "watch muslims squirm".

Even though we also do shite.

That's what you want - I'm distracting you - so you'll accuse me of excusing muslims.

But I'm not excusing muslims.

I'm just not watching them squirm either.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:02 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;135908 wrote:
Not historic - we could ratify against it right now.A human mindset of denying that things are done in your name if you don't like those things even if really they are things you can put pressure on.Why?

I know why.

Because this is a "watch muslims squirm" thread.

Like the last "watch muslims squirm" thread.

And the one before that.

Because muslims aren't popular.

Because they do some shite.

So let's "watch muslims squirm".

Even though we also do shite.

That's what you want - I'm distracting you - so you'll accuse me of excusing muslims.

But I'm not excusing muslims.

I'm just not watching them squirm either.

Sigh. Another red herring. They do behead people for being Infidels, we don't behead or kill people for being Muslim. That is a fact.

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:27 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135911 wrote:
Sigh. Another red herring. They do behead people for being Infidels, we don't behead or kill people for being Muslim. That is a fact.

"They" aren't an actor and neither are "we". Though if "we" are an actor I don't know why "our" deployment of weapons we know cause birth defects is better than "their" taste for execution by beheading.

But for the record I did display a distaste in general for capital punishment in one of my first posts in the thread - even though I've apparently been excusing it - and I'll happily dig up the points I made then if you want to discuss it.

But it's a general point - not just *****ing about Islam.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:31 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;135922 wrote:
"They" aren't an actor and neither are "we". Though if "we" are an actor I don't know why "our" deployment of weapons we know cause birth defects is better than "their" taste for execution by beheading.

But for the record I did display a distaste in general for capital punishment in one of my first posts in the thread - even though I've apparently been excusing it - and I'll happily dig up the points I made then if you want to discuss it.

But it's a general point - not just *****ing about Islam.

I really have no idea of what you are talking about.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135924 wrote:

He thinks you guys are firstly discriminating against Islam, and secondly excusing your own culture's atrocities. That is, you're being unfair to Islam and being a hypocrite. Is this correct, Dave?

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:37 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135924 wrote:

I don't think you're being honest - I've actually spoken to you on the subject in other threads before, and posted two links on the issue in this thread. If you're genuinely curious there's a link on the previous page or two, and umpteen related articles just a Google search away.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 10:42 AM ----------

Zetherin;135926 wrote:
He thinks you guys are firstly discriminating against Islam, and secondly excusing your own culture's atrocities. That is, you're being unfair to Islam and being a hypocrite. Is this correct, Dave?

Sort of.

To be frank I was intially interested in discussing the abuses of Islam (as a gestalt) - just not under the context of sensationalist claims and fake imagery.

I even posted accordingly about capital punishment and erosion of women's rights in societies under duress.

But the only response I seemed to get was that I was "excusing Islam".

I think that's a load of old wallop, hence my change in tone. It's clear some people just want to demonise muslims - it's not hard to do because there's plenty of nasty stuff to exaggerate.

Xris, Ken and Alan don't seem to me to want a sensible discussion - but frothing outright condemnation of the whole.

But there's no need to accuse others of excusing Islam just because they aren't on the same exaggeration trip.

And - yes - just as much to get upset about regarding things done in/by our own societies - if you're prepared to look for it.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:49 am
@Alan McDougall,
Well, I think the truth is that you are both right. We should not excuse the stonings or beheadings, but by the same token we should not assume all Muslims would do such a thing. Many would not.

But perhaps you should consider that bringing this sort of thing to light is not to "watch Muslims squirm". Since it is in Muslim countries where this most often occurs, it is a genuine criticism, and should not be tolerated any longer. It's just important for those who are bringing this to light to not assume that all Muslims operate in this way. Again, many do not.

And, of course, many non-Islam countries have their atrocities, but bringing them up, in this case, is a Red Herring. We should not divert things. No, we should address this situation for what it is, and then address another situation for what it is.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:52 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;135930 wrote:
I don't think you're being honest - I've actually spoken to you on the subject in other threads before, and posted two links on the issue in this thread. If you're genuinely curious there's a link on the previous page or two, and umpteen related articles just a Google search away.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 10:42 AM ----------

Sort of.

To be frank I was intially interested in discussing the abuses of Islam (as a gestalt) - just not under the context of sensationalist claims and fake imagery.

I even posted accordingly about capital punishment and erosion of women's rights in societies under duress.

But the only response I seemed to get was that I was "excusing Islam".

I think that's a load of old wallop, hence my change in tone. It's clear some people just want to demonise muslims - it's not hard to do because there's plenty of nasty stuff to exaggerate.

Xris, Ken and Alan don't seem to me to want a sensible discussion - but frothing outright condemnation of the whole.

But there's no need to accuse others of excusing Islam just because they aren't on the same exaggeration trip.

And - yes - just as much to get upset about regarding things done in/by our own societies - if you're prepared to look for it.

They do saw off the heads of people for not being Muslim, don't they, whatever happens or does not happen in other societies? What is there to discuss? And Josh did not have to worry about keeping his head in London.

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:54 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;135937 wrote:
And, of course, many non-Islam countries have their atrocities, but bringing them up, in this case, is a Red Herring.

I don't think it is.

In sensible discussion of the gestalt's problems it might be - but that's not what's occuring on this thread.

What is occuring is that muslims as a whole are being asked to answer for the atrocities of Islam, and that people who aren't into that are being accused of excusing said atrocities.

That's not fair or accurate.

The situation isn't occuring in a vacuum, for a start, and isn't condoned by everyone who thinks Mohammed is Allah's prophet.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 10:58 AM ----------

kennethamy;135939 wrote:
They do saw off the heads of people for not being Muslim, don't they, whatever happens or does not happen in other societies? What is there to discuss? And Josh did not have to worry about keeping his head in London.

"They" aren't an actor. Even if "They" were "They" aren't the only people to execute others. "They" aren't even the only people to behead others.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:02 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;135940 wrote:
I don't think it is.

In sensible discussion of the gestalt's problems it might be - but that's not what's occuring on this thread.

What is occuring is that muslims as a whole are being asked to answer for the atrocities of Islam, and that people who aren't into that are being accused of excusing said atrocities.

The situation isn't occuring in a vacuum, for a start, and isn't condoned by everyone who thinks Mohammed is Allah's prophet.

The actions of a few have tainted the whole. As sensible and non-discriminatory as we try to be, that's just the case. I mean, would you honestly not be scared to go over to country X after knowing someone in your country Y was just killed there for being an Infidel, even knowing that not everyone in country X would do such a thing?

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:16 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;135946 wrote:
The actions of a few have tainted the whole. As sensible and non-discriminatory as we try to be, that's just the case.

To what extent are you tainted by your associates' actions yourself?
Quote:
I mean, would you honestly not be scared to go over to country X which just killed someone of your country Y for being an Infidel, even knowing that not everyone in country X would do such a thing?
Me personally? I'm an Englishman living in Belfast - which was the subject of "this sort" of over-simplified horror-hype a decade ago, and even more in the 70s and 80s. English people have been murdered here for being English, and attempts were made last year to reignite that.

I suppose I could see all Irish as "Them" if I tried.

I've also lived within a large Muslim community in Nottingham for 5 years and noticed nothing unusual about them apart from the amount of clothing they wear and the fact that their children are much better behaved than most kids round my way now.

I wouldn't be the first to volunteer for a holiday in Gaza - though I wouldn't be the last either, and I'm keen to return to Nottingham, though not through fear, but through missing the scene really.

xris

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:23 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;135940 wrote:
I don't think it is.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 10:58 AM ----------

"They" aren't an actor. Even if "They" were "They" aren't the only people to execute others. "They" aren't even the only people to behead others.
Who ever said that all muslims act in the same manner,who? come on Dave you've made the accusation point it out, this exaggeration. The point I have made is that scriptures allow it, for many Muslims. You point it our where stoning is anything other than Islamic inspired. I dont like your insinuations , saying that if I debate a certain subject, Im Muslim bashing. One minute you say it aint then it is. You wont scare me of the subject with your cries of bigot. You did not, I notice ,criticise the obvious biased views against whites in general, strange that. I have the same feelings about certain Christians and their dogmatic damage, its not reserved for damaging, Islamic views.

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:47 am
@xris,
xris;135958 wrote:
Who ever said that all muslims act in the same manner,who?
Two points of order before I continue.

1) I don't think anyone reckons all muslims act in the same manner and I didn't say so. I said muslims as a whole were being asked to answer for the atrocities of Islam.

2) Earlier on I asked you to please point out where I had excused Islam for acts like stoning women (post 29) - something I have called 'awful' since my second post on this thread. You have ignored this.

I will meet your challenge by explaining why I think muslims on the whole are being asked to answer for Islam's atrocities. I won't explain where I said people said every muslim acted that way - because that isn't a claim I have made so I don't see why I should own it.

I would say Ken through his repeated use of "them" "their" and "us" is heavily implying generally intrinsic behaviours. Even when it's pointed out to him he does it. "They" behead people "we" don't is pretty classic exaggerated generalising.

Also Alan asked "Islam" to answer for stonings (fake ones in his case).

Now can you point out where I excused Islam for stoning women? If I'm going to meet your challenges with an explanation it's only fair you do likewise.

I have only ever called stoning awful.

Quote:
come on Dave you've made the accusation point it out, this exaggeration.

Done so - your turn.
Quote:
You did not, I notice ,criticise the obvious biased views against whites in general, strange that.
Other people wrote what I was thinking, more or less, so I didn't think I needed to lend my support.

I thought it was clearly an eccentric nonsense. Not worth my time.

xris

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 11:22 am
@Dave Allen,
Ahh, but your too clever for that , you may say it but then accuse me of making Muslim squirm. Squirm how have I made them squirm? You attempt at diverting the debate by mentioning obscure atrocities like Tasmania as if it answers a certain question, I might be asking. You then tell me Im attempting to make muslims squirm.

Would you say the RC view on contraception is destroying lives ? would you say that I am inferring all RC are destroying lives?

Certain Christians are calling for abortionists to be killed , does that mean all Christians are?

Muslims have entered our communities in extremely large numbers, we know very little about them as they are very insular. They are asking for and are using sharia in their communities. Now we can accept that the vast majority will not be calling for the death penalty but we are entitled to question them on the same law that we see killing women for being alone in the company of men. Im not a racist or islamophobic but I am determined to understand why so many of them agree with this disgusting law that allows these atrocities.

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 12:00 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Not up for my challenge then?

The Roman Catholic Church is an institution I find responsible for much misery - the difference between it as muslims is that it is an actor.

Clearly all Chrisitians are not responsible for the small minority who support the killing of abortionists.

I haven't personally found muslims to be insular - mind you I did have to go out my way to be friendly to a couple of them before they opened up and began talking. A lot of them have english as a second language, and our media channels certainly like to paint them as outsiders. I don't think much effort is needed in order to find one willing to talk if you are willing to listen.

I don't think full implication of shariah is something most muslims want in the UK. I think shariah property and lending laws are being called for. Like all laws I think they require examination on a law by law basis. It's not all or nothing.

xris

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:17 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;135995 wrote:
Not up for my challenge then?

The Roman Catholic Church is an institution I find responsible for much misery - the difference between it as muslims is that it is an actor.

Clearly all Chrisitians are not responsible for the small minority who support the killing of abortionists.

I haven't personally found muslims to be insular - mind you I did have to go out my way to be friendly to a couple of them before they opened up and began talking. A lot of them have english as a second language, and our media channels certainly like to paint them as outsiders. I don't think much effort is needed in order to find one willing to talk if you are willing to listen.

I don't think full implication of shariah is something most muslims want in the UK. I think shariah property and lending laws are being called for. Like all laws I think they require examination on a law by law basis. It's not all or nothing.
I never said you did condone it, did I? You did divert the debate away from the difficult consideration.

Im not going to get into the ghetto mentality of immigrants and their reticence to integrate, my Irish family suffered in the same east London ghettos but modern history tells us we are less likely to meet a Muslim socially than any other immigrant. Many Imams will tell their congregation not to mix with none believers, they fear to many apostates.

I for one oppose any idea of a two layered legal system, it goes beyond scrutiny and is open to abuse. Im of to the pub Dave so good night, thanks xris

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 02:42:23