Is Truth Invented or Discovered?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

hue-man

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 10:49 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128624 wrote:
I suspect that you have psychological reasons for adopting this conception of epistemology and its relationship to psychology. Sure, you can have all the faith you want in this view of yours, but it doesn't, for me, escape the difficulties I have mentioned.

People disagree very much on certain facts. Some facts allow for quite a bit of consensus. Truth is a property of sentences. Show me one single truth that is not a sentence, or a phrase. ("Sentence" is metonymy). Let's phrase it this way. Show me a truth, in your sense of the word, that isn't made of words. Just one. Only one. Please.

And I suspect that you have psychological reasons for preferring obscurity over clarity. Once again, just because someone has a bias doesn't mean that what they believe is wrong. What matters is whether or not the person can present a clear and logically coherent argument for their positions. Thus far your arguments have been founded in cynical relativism and arational skepticism.

Does anyone on this board disagree with the fact that I'm typing this response right now? Once again, just because people disagree on something doesn't mean that they are both wrong. Both people can be wrong or one person can be right.

I'll say this again. Truth is a concept, but you're confusing words and concepts with facts and objects.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 10:54 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;128814 wrote:
Once again, just because someone has a bias doesn't mean that what they believe is wrong.

I never implied that. You misunderstand me significantly. Of course truth is a concept. And snow is white.

I'm also stressing that truth is a property of sentences. I won't say that this is the only use of the word, but it's an instructive thought. I note your failure to meet the challenge. I can't meet the challenge either.

hue-man

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 11:13 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128819 wrote:
I never implied that. You misunderstand me significantly. Of course truth is a concept. And snow is white.

I'm also stressing that truth is a property of sentences. I won't say that this is the only use of the word, but it's an instructive thought. I note your failure to meet the challenge. I can't meet the challenge either.

I'm trying to met you but you keep postponing. You're ignoring an important point that I made. Truth is a concept and concepts are made of words, but you're confusing words and concepts with facts and objects. Please respond to that point?

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 11:17 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;128830 wrote:
I'm trying to met you but you keep postponing. You're ignoring an important point that I made. Truth is a concept and concepts are made of words, but you're confusing words and concepts with facts and objects. Please respond to that point?

Perhaps you don't see my point. Objects only exist as concepts. Without concepts, perception would be a chaos of sensation. Concepts are the way we slice up the totality of perception.

Concepts are not made only of words, in my opinion. But words are the only way we can write about concepts.

I will argue this point. At the moment I think I can defend it. Facts and objects are impossible without concepts.

hue-man

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 11:21 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128831 wrote:
Perhaps you don't see my point. Objects only exist as concepts. Without concepts, perception would be a chaos of sensation. Concepts are the way we slice up the totality of perception.

Concepts are not made only of words, in my opinion. But words are the only way we can write about concepts.

I will argue this point. At the moment I think I can defend it. Facts and objects are impossible without concepts.

Once again you're confusing objects with words and concepts. Whether or not you had a word for a chair would have no effect on the necessary properties that make a chair a chair.

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 11:30 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;128835 wrote:
Once again you're confusing objects with words and concepts. Whether or not you had a word for a chair would have no effect on the necessary properties that make a chair a chair.

No, you aren't seeing my point. An "object" is a concept. We use concepts to frame sensory perceptions.

Check out Kant.
Immanuel Kant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With regard to knowledge, Kant argued that the rational order of the world as known by science could never be accounted for merely by the fortuitous accumulation of sense perceptions. It was instead the product of the rule-based activity of "synthesis." This activity consisted of conceptual unification and integration carried out by the mind through concepts or the "categories of the understanding" operating on the perceptual manifold within space and time, which are not concepts,[24] but are forms of sensibility that are a priori necessary conditions for any possible experience. Thus the objective order of nature and the causal necessity that operates within it are dependent upon the mind.

ACB

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:08 am
@Reconstructo,
I think there are two different interpretations of the word "object". Some people take it to mean a distinct thing-in-itself - a discrete part of mind-independent reality. Others interpret it as meaning a concept constructed from sense-perceptions, which are caused by an unknowable (and therefore unanalysable) set of things-in-themselves.

The question is: Can things-in-themselves be individuated? If so, it would make sense to talk about mind-independent objects: if not, not.

I think one argument in favour of the existence of mind-independent objects is as follows. We can recognise disorder and incoherence when we see or hear it. Our brain does not conceptualise everything as consisting of coherent objects. So it seems reasonable to assume that when it does conceptualise a coherent object, this is because some kind of corresponding discrete thing-in-itself is present. Such a thing-in-itself may of course be very different from our concept of it, but some kind of one-to-one correspondence seems a reasonable assumption.

hue-man

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:09 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128839 wrote:
No, you aren't seeing my point. An "object" is a concept. We use concepts to frame sensory perceptions.

Check out Kant.
Immanuel Kant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With regard to knowledge, Kant argued that the rational order of the world as known by science could never be accounted for merely by the fortuitous accumulation of sense perceptions. It was instead the product of the rule-based activity of "synthesis." This activity consisted of conceptual unification and integration carried out by the mind through concepts or the "categories of the understanding" operating on the perceptual manifold within space and time, which are not concepts,[24] but are forms of sensibility that are a priori necessary conditions for any possible experience. Thus the objective order of nature and the causal necessity that operates within it are dependent upon the mind.

I want you to try and separate the word from the object. As you said, the word or concept is a frame for what's already there. If I say that I'm sitting on an table that doesn't change the fact that I'm sitting on an object that we call a chair. Whether or not I change the name of the object has no effect on the properties of the object. Kant's idealism is bunk! He mistook concepts and words for objects and facts.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:14 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo wrote:
Show me a truth, in your sense of the word, that isn't made of words. Just one. Only one. Please.

How would you like anyone to go about showing you a truth without words on an online forum (perhaps you mean something else, I'm still a little confused)? Do you want someone to direct you out onto a busy highway so you can see that it's true cars exist?

Alright, come down here to the tri-state area and go on I-95 at about 5pm. I will show you a truth that isn't made of words, but that is made of cars.

---------- Post added 02-16-2010 at 10:21 AM ----------

ACB wrote:
The question is: Can things-in-themselves be individuated? If so, it would make sense to talk about mind-independent objects: if not, not.

Do you believe your car is a seperate entity from your wallet?

If not, we may have to backtrack a little.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:52 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;128966 wrote:
I want you to try and separate the word from the object. As you said, the word or concept is a frame for what's already there. If I say that I'm sitting on an table that doesn't change the fact that I'm sitting on an object that we call a chair. Whether or not I change the name of the object has no effect on the properties of the object. Kant's idealism is bunk! He mistook concepts and words for objects and facts.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Juliet.

ACB

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 10:51 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;128969 wrote:
Do you believe your car is a seperate entity from your wallet?

That's a reasonable rhetorical question if you don't believe in the phenomenon/noumenon distinction. But some people do. I'm neutral on the issue until I hear a conclusive argument either way.

If Kant's distinction is correct, a car and a wallet are separate phenomena; the question is, do they correspond to separate noumena? If Kant is wrong, of course, the question does not arise.

If Kant's argument is flawed, a reasoned refutation of it would be helpful.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 10:59 am
@Reconstructo,
ACB wrote:

If Kant's distinction is correct, a car and a wallet are separate phenomena; the question is, do they correspond to separate noumena? If Kant is wrong, of course, the question does not arise.

But are you sure Kant was saying that there are not seperate noumena from which we perceive seperate phenomenas? I think all he said was that the things-in-themselves are unknown, not that they are not individuated.

Even if Kant is right about noumenon, there can still be seperate actual objects in the world, can't there be? We just can't know them directly.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:12 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;129022 wrote:
But are you sure Kant was saying that there are not seperate noumena from which we perceive seperate phenomenas? I think all he said was that the things-in-themselves are unknown, not that they are not individuated.

Even if Kant is right about noumenon, there can still be seperate actual objects in the world, can't there be? We just can't know them directly.

I think that Kant denied that the noumenon consisted of objects or things. Those are categories of the phenomenon.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:49 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;129031 wrote:
I think that Kant denied that the noumenon consisted of objects or things. Those are categories of the phenomenon.

But if there are no actual objects or things which cause the phenomena we perceive, where are these categories of phenomenon coming from? It would seem to be that the different phenomena are coming from different things.

In the wiki it states:

Quote:

By Kant's view, humans can make sense out of phenomena in these various ways, but can never directly know the noumena, the "things-in-themselves", the actual objects and dynamics of the natural world

So, I took that as Kant acknowledging that there were actual objects in the world. He just thought we couldn't directly perceive them.

ACB

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:59 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;129022 wrote:

Maybe. But then, it seems to me, we would know something about them - namely, that they are plural and (presumably) individuated in a similar way to phenomena.

Zetherin;129022 wrote:

Yes, if things-in-themselves can be individuated. But since we can't know them directly, we don't know how closely they correspond to the concepts formed from our sense-data. Common sense suggests that they correspond very closely in many ways, and from a pragmatic point of view this is a reasonable assumption. But there is no absolute proof of this. For all we know, the things-in-themselves could be radically different from our concepts of them, in ways we cannot even imagine.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:03 pm
@Reconstructo,
ACB wrote:

Yes, if things-in-themselves can be individuated. But since we can't know them directly, we don't know how closely they correspond to the concepts formed from our sense-data. Common sense suggests that they correspond very closely in many ways, and from a pragmatic point of view this is a reasonable assumption. But there is no absolute proof of this. For all we know, the things-in-themselves could be radically different from our concepts of them, in ways we cannot even imagine

And for all we know we are are being mind-controlled by rabid penguins hiding on Mars. But there is no reason to believe that is true. I also haven't seen any good reason to believe that the actual objects in the world are radically different from how we perceive them. In fact, I have many good reasons for believing we do perceive the world to a good degree of accuracy.

fast

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:22 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;129044 wrote:
And for all we know we are are being mind-controlled by rabid penguins hiding on Mars. But there is no reason to believe that is true. I also haven't seen any good reason to believe that the actual objects in the world are radically different from how we perceive them. In fact, I have many good reasons for believing we do perceive the world to a good degree of accuracy.

I'm going to do a little touch up work to your first sentence.

P1: For all we know, we are all being mind-controlled by rabid penguins hiding on Mars.
P2: For all we know, we might all be mind-controlled by rabid penguins hiding on Mars.
P3: For all we know, we may all be mind-controlled by rabid penguins hiding on Mars.

I think you meant to convey what P1 conveys, but P1 is false. P3 is false also. P2 is the correct one.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:25 pm
@fast,
fast;129050 wrote:
I'm going to do a little touch up work to your first sentence.

P1: For all we know, we are all being mind-controlled by rabid penguins hiding on Mars.
P2: For all we know, we might all be mind-controlled by rabid penguins hiding on Mars.
P3: For all we know, we may all be mind-controlled by rabid penguins hiding on Mars.

I think you meant to convey what P1 conveys, but P1 is false. P3 is false also. P2 is the correct one.

Right. Your "might" and "may" distinction. I don't think in everyday language people usually notice such a thing, but I'll use "might" to mean logical possibility, and "may" to mean plausibility, to humor you.

P1 and P2 I would use interchangably in everyday language. "For all we know" is an expression. Why do you think P1 is false? What do you think that sentence means?

fast

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:33 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;129052 wrote:
Right. Your "might" and "may" distinction. I don't think in everyday language people usually notice such a thing, but I'll use "might" to mean logical possibility, and "may" to mean plausibility, to humor you.

P1 and P2 I would use interchangably in everyday language. "For all we know" is an expression. Why do you think P1 is false? What do you think that sentence means?

But the issue isn't between P2 and P3. The issue is between P1 and P2. It's simply not the case that based on what we know that we ARE all ... .

My point could have been made without bringing in the "is"/"might"/"may" distinction and simply left it at "is"/"might".

As to the expression, I think if you're gonna use it that it's better used with "might" instead of "are."

kennethamy

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:34 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;129044 wrote:

It isn't even true that for all we know we are are being mind-controlled by rabid penguins hiding on Mars. As a matter of fact, we know we are not. But, from the point of view of scientific realism, we do know that the actual objects in the world are radically different from the way we see them. For confirmation see "Eddington's Two Tables"

Eddingtons Two Tables

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:03:39