Is Truth Invented or Discovered?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

HexHammer

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:39 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127970 wrote:
Where was the statement above discovered? Or did you invent it? Or is it just not true?
Exelent argument.

hue-man

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:45 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;126346 wrote:
Is truth made or found? Are philosophers/scientist inventors of tools or lifters of curtains?

Truth is discovered. It's not invented. Scientists and some philosophers are lifters of curtains. Some philosophers, however, prefer to obscure their vision of the world in order to live in the bliss of ignorance. This becomes a problem, though, when the philosopher mistakes bliss for truth.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 05:39 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127970 wrote:
Perhaps I should have been clearer. But yes, of course I meant that a proper name refers to one thing. Does the word "justice" refer to one thing? Do we all experience the same meaning upon hearing this word? Not likely. What about "truth"? Does that mean one thing to everyone? This thread suggests that that it not the case.

"Truth" and "justice" are useful for rhetoric, in a non-pejorative sense of the word.

---------- Post added 02-13-2010 at 05:11 PM ----------

Where was the statement above discovered? Or did you invent it? Or is it just not true?

Isn't it just obvious that the truth that Mars is the fourth planet; that Mr. Everest is the highest mountain; and that, the Nile is the longest river in Africa, are all discovered? I wonder what you will give as examples of invented truths.(Or, as we usually call them, lies).

HexHammer

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127995 wrote:
Isn't it just obvious that the truth that Mars is the fourth planet; that Mr. Everest is the highest mountain; and that, the Nile is the longest river in Africa, are all discovered? I wonder what you will give as examples of invented truths.(Or, as we usually call them, lies).

- "Sadam got weapons of mass destruction" G W Bush
- earth is the center of the universe
- earth is flat
- i think, therefore i am
- what keeps a galaxy together = gravity (gravity only explains 1/10 of the forces keeping a galaxy together, in any simulation galaxies disperse. That's why the search of dark matter is the new fad)

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:27 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;127982 wrote:
Truth is discovered. It's not invented.

When did you discover this truth? And where?

I think our more conceptual truths are better described as invented. I also think that basic scientific truths are invented. But this is coming from a person who insists that "truth is made of sentences." But in some cases invention and discovery seem like equally valid characterizations to me.

I think it's a more exciting position to stress the invention of truth. Mine is an epistemology that takes motive into account. I would enjoy your thoughts on a thread I started called "first-science."

---------- Post added 02-13-2010 at 07:43 PM ----------

prothero;127716 wrote:

I think the question of truth as invented or truth as discovered is a fundamental question of philosophy in some ways the fundamental question. The universe is inherently rationally intelligible in my view and this speaks to reason and intelligence preceeding material essence, existence or being. In the begining was the word (Logos).

The invention/discovery issue ties into the subject/object issue, I think. Kojeve's book on Hegel is great on this sort of thing. Spirit is the concrete real revealed by discourse. For practical reasons, we humans try to picture the world as objectively as possible, forgetting that subjectivity (consciousness) is necessary for experience at all. We start to think that there is truth outside man, although we have never in any experienced it. Yes, there's a world out there, but only the one known through human sensation and discourse.
I find your view respectable. I'm undecided. I could see arguing either side and not as a trick, but because I'm not sure --
What do you think of first science? I think that thread could be good.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 06:56 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;128006 wrote:
- "Sadam got weapons of mass destruction" G W Bush
- earth is the center of the universe
- earth is flat
- i think, therefore i am
- what keeps a galaxy together = gravity (gravity only explains 1/10 of the forces keeping a galaxy together, in any simulation galaxies disperse. That's why the search of dark matter is the new fad)

1. Well, I happen to think that was true. But even it you are right, it was an invented true, which is to say, a lie. (Not that I think so).
2. Was false, so it wasn't an invented truth. It was just false
3. Is true
4. I have no understanding of what you are saying.

hue-man

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:21 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128012 wrote:
When did you discover this truth? And where?

I think our more conceptual truths are better described as invented. I also think that basic scientific truths are invented. But this is coming from a person who insists that "truth is made of sentences." But in some cases invention and discovery seem like equally valid characterizations to me.

I think it's a more exciting position to stress the invention of truth. Mine is an epistemology that takes motive into account. I would enjoy your thoughts on a thread I started called "first-science."
I just discovered the fact that I'm typing right now. I also discovered the fact that I just drank some water after eating a Reese's buttercup. Truth is based on facts and facts are discovered not created. Also, all truths are scientific in the sense that they follow from an empirical worldview.

Whether or not something is more exciting has nothing to do with whether or not something is true. It may be more exciting to stress the invention of truth but that doesn't mean that truth is invented.

I believe that I understand where your view of truth comes from. You're clearly influenced by Nietzsche's perspectivism. My thought is influenced by Nietzsche (among others) as well, but I don't think that Nietzsche was a philosophic skeptic and if he was I would strongly disagree with him. Nietzsche's perspectivism was more of an opinion about the value of truth and its relation to the creation of non-truth-apt values.

Zetherin

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:26 pm
@Reconstructo,
I don't know if I like this "invention of truth" as meaning to lie. Lying isn't inventing truth, it is intentionally not telling the truth. You can only discover truth, as noted earlier. I suppose if you use the word "invent" loosely, it's fine. But I think it can easily become misleading if we attempt to be precise.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:28 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;128031 wrote:
I don't know if I like this "invention of truth" as meaning to lie. Lying isn't inventing truth, it is intentionally not telling the truth. You can only discover truth, as noted earlier.

When we say that someone invented that truth, what do we mean?

Zetherin

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:28 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128032 wrote:
When we say that someone invented that truth, what do we mean?

I never say that, so I never mean anything by it. I either say someone is telling the truth, or someone is not telling the truth (to lie).

kennethamy

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:31 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;128033 wrote:
I never say that, so I never mean anything by it. I either say someone is telling the truth, or someone is not telling the truth (to lie).

Right. But if you hear, for instance, that the president of Iran invented the truth that there was no Holocaust, what would you understand that as meaning?

Zetherin

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128034 wrote:
Right. But if you hear, for instance, that the president of Iran invented the truth that there was no Holocaust, what would you understand that as meaning?

I would understand that as meaning that he lied.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:41 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;128029 wrote:
Truth is based on facts and facts are discovered not created.

Is the above truth another discovery? Or just an opinion?

---------- Post added 02-14-2010 at 09:46 PM ----------

hue-man;128029 wrote:

Whether or not something is more exciting has nothing to do with whether or not something is true.

Of course I know what you mean by this, but it strikes me as idealistic. Yes, we expect more accuracy from unbiased (or less -biased) observation, but humans are presumably evolved from germs. Is this struggled-evolved-brain of ours capable of emotionally-unbiased "pure" truth? How can epistemology deny motive? On some issues, humans mostly agree. But move to questions of values or the nature of truth, and we see just how biased all of us are. The most biased are arguably those who deny the existence of bias altogether.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:50 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128321 wrote:

Some may, of course, discover it. But many have just known it. I would have thought it obvious.
I have still to be presented with an example of an invented truth. The OP question itself, assumes that truth is either discovered or invented, and therefore assumes that there are such things as invented truths. But the assumption that all truths are either discovered or invented implies what is false to begin with, namely, that there are such things as invented truths (which are not lies). Before we go further, what is an instance of an invented truth?

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 11:29 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128323 wrote:
Some may, of course, discover it. But many have just known it. I would have thought it obvious.
I have still to be presented with an example of an invented truth. The OP question itself, assumes that truth is either discovered or invented, and therefore assumes that there are such things as invented truths. But the assumption that all truths are either discovered or invented implies what is false to begin with, namely, that there are such things as invented truths (which are not lies). Before we go further, what is an instance of an invented truth?

Yes, the O.P. does imply what in fact I do not believe, that truth is either invented or discovered. But the O.P. wasn't a thesis but only bait for the dialogue. I'm not on either side. I think the idea that truth is discovered is the conventional view, and therefore a less exciting position to defend. But I don't deny that "discovery" is an apter term in certain contexts.

As far as examples of invented truths, one could argue that all truth is invented. I generally agree with the notion that truth is a property of sentences. Are sentences invented or discovered? I'm voting for invented.

Still, I hardly think it's absurd for someone to talk of the discovery of truth. Just as I can easily see the value of the correspondence theory of truth. But for me these concepts are easy and obvious, too easy and too obvious. Another thought I find potent and significant is "the real is revealed by discourse." Philosophical thought has largely abased itself before natural science. It's fallen asleep. The abstract objectivity of natural science is useful practically but deceptive philosophically.

ACB

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128323 wrote:
Before we go further, what is an instance of an invented truth?

One could argue that all definitions are invented truths. For example, a scientific body officially coins a new technical term, thus inventing the truth that term X has meaning Y. This truth is then discovered (learned) by others.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:54 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;128347 wrote:
Yes, the O.P. does imply what in fact I do not believe, that truth is either invented or discovered. But the O.P. wasn't a thesis but only bait for the dialogue. I'm not on either side. I think the idea that truth is discovered is the conventional view, and therefore a less exciting position to defend. But I don't deny that "discovery" is an apter term in certain contexts.

As far as examples of invented truths, one could argue that all truth is invented. I generally agree with the notion that truth is a property of sentences. Are sentences invented or discovered? I'm voting for invented.

Still, I hardly think it's absurd for someone to talk of the discovery of truth. Just as I can easily see the value of the correspondence theory of truth. But for me these concepts are easy and obvious, too easy and too obvious. Another thought I find potent and significant is "the real is revealed by discourse." Philosophical thought has largely abased itself before natural science. It's fallen asleep. The abstract objectivity of natural science is useful practically but deceptive philosophically.

If something is discovered, then it exists before it was discovered. If something is invented, it does not exist before it is invented.
Question: When Cook discovered the existence of white swans, did they exist before his discovered them, or did they exist only when he discovered them?

Krumple

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:56 am
@ACB,
ACB;128448 wrote:
One could argue that all definitions are invented truths.

Not exactly. Definitions are a reflection of truths. They don't make the truth, truth, they simply explain what the truth is. If definitions were inventions of truth then anything defined could be a truth regardless if it was true.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:59 am
@ACB,
ACB;128448 wrote:
One could argue that all definitions are invented truths. For example, a scientific body officially coins a new technical term, thus inventing the truth that term X has meaning Y. This truth is then discovered (learned) by others.

The definition was invented. But what makes you think that stipulative definitions are true or false?

hue-man

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:51 am
@Reconstructo,
Truth is a concept, a word, yes, but the word refers to actual facts. Focus on the latter and not the former or else you'll confuse the two with each other.

Of course I know what you mean by this, but it strikes me as idealistic. Yes, we expect more accuracy from unbiased (or less -biased) observation, but humans are presumably evolved from germs. Is this struggled-evolved-brain of ours capable of emotionally-unbiased "pure" truth? How can epistemology deny motive? On some issues, humans mostly agree. But move to questions of values or the nature of truth, and we see just how biased all of us are. The most biased are arguably those who deny the existence of bias altogether.

You stated that it was more exciting to say that truth is invented than to say that it is discovered. That statement is a paradigm of idealism.

Epistemology does not deny motive, but it's not the job of epistemology to explain why humans desire objective truth. Explaining humanity's will to truth is the job of psychology. I think that some humans desire truth because they desire a logically coherent view of reality. Emotionally speaking, this offers them some piece of mind and the guarantee that they are sane. It also provides them with the ability to have some degree of power by knowing and understanding the ways of nature.

Just because someone is biased doesn't mean that what they believe in is wrong. Just because people disagree on any given thing doesn't mean that both disagreements are justified, and just because some people agree on any given thing doesn't mean that they're right. However, if you notice, people disagree on values far more than they do on facts (like whether or not the moon revolves around the earth). Romanticism (or idealism) and imagination has the tendency to be emotionally exciting, while realism has the tendency to be sobering. By understanding the affects that these worldviews have on human psychology we can understand the biases. One bias confuses imagination with reality and that's the problem.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 03:37:04