Is Truth Invented or Discovered?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:00 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127292 wrote:
To me, that's a narrow and shallow view of philosophy. Propositions and refutations. Poor Socrates. He's been shrunk. He's been mistaken for a paperweight.

I don't understand. Just what view is narrow and shallow? If you read Socrates, that was exactly his method. Advancing hypotheses, and then seeking counter-examples so as to try to reach a satisfactory definition. That is how Aristotle described it.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127294 wrote:
I don't understand. Just what view is narrow and shallow? If you read Socrates, that was exactly his method. Advancing hypotheses, and then seeking counter-examples so as to try to reach a satisfactory definition. That is how Aristotle described it.

If Socrates had written a book, I probably would have read it. But I know what you mean. If we are talking of Plato, I don't hear you mention his Ideas much. Also, Plato certainly used tropes, as well as arguments. He strikes me as half-mystic, or a mystical rationalist.
It seems that you want to reduce philosophy to argument. You don't like Nietzsche or Heidegger or Rorty, etc. I'm all for criticism, but to not see their merits is something else. To each his own.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:25 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127311 wrote:
If Socrates had written a book, I probably would have read it. But I know what you mean. If we are talking of Plato, I don't hear you mention his Ideas much. Also, Plato certainly used tropes, as well as arguments. He strikes me as half-mystic, or a mystical rationalist.
It seems that you want to reduce philosophy to argument. You don't like Nietzsche or Heidegger or Rorty, etc. I'm all for criticism, but to not see their merits is something else. To each his own.

I don't want to reduce philosophy to argument (whatever that means). But argument is what fuels philosophy. If someone wants me to believe something he says, I want him to give me a good reason for doing it. It is not the conclusions that philosophers reach (which are generally pretty prosaic) but the arguments they provide for those conclusions which are central.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:42 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127314 wrote:
It is not the conclusions that philosophers reach (which are generally pretty prosaic) but the arguments they provide for those conclusions which are central.

Some of there conclusions are not prosaic. Is Plato the mystic prosaic? Spinoza? Diogenes? Nietzsche? Epictetus? I can't imagine that Kant is prosaic for anyone utterly unfamiliar with his ideas.

Also, some philosophers have regarded philosophy as a life-style.

It's not that I dislike argument. It's just that I find other aspects of philosophy more exciting. Philosophy can be viewed as the creation of perspectives. It doesn't have to assert anything. It can simply expand our notion of the possible. Yes, this is a more poetic conception of philosophy than some might like, but what of that? Philosophy can serve as a thrill, a zone for self-invention. What is the self? Some have called it a "network of beliefs and desires." I like to accumulate clashing perspectives. Call it dissonance. Call it conceptual Schoenberg. Life more abundant is the game. Philosophy not as a task or a duty, but rather as a thrill, a privilege, a game without limits.

The politicians and scientists will be just fine without me. I'd rather sell my bodily labor than the freedom of my mind to enjoy itself as a possibility machine.

Deckard

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:20 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127266 wrote:
But, what does that mean? That you realize that something is true? Can you give an example of "truth realized by someone"?

I just realized that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. Quito is the capital of Ecuador. I realize the truth of this statement. I did not know that this statement was true until about five minutes ago.

prothero

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 08:21 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;127371 wrote:
I just realized that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. Quito is the capital of Ecuador. I realize the truth of this statement. I did not know that this statement was true until about five minutes ago.
yes, but it is a rather trivial form of "truth" dont you think? Not at all the kind of metaphysical "Truth" which sages, scientists and philosophers seek albeit imperfectly.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 08:31 am
@prothero,
...Truth is not invented but speech about the Truth is dynamic...
(do in the end I find it circular...)

groundedspirit

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 08:58 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
If we only have two choices (invent vs discover) I have to support discovery.
Because one thing I have seen raised here yet is 'conditionality'. It if was feel free to correct me that I missed it.
Any statement of truth or falsity can only be accepted under the conditions that statement includes certain conditions.
As we can never be sure we have considered ALL possible conditions there can never be what might be called an "absolute" truth.
We can only state that under ALL conditions we have discovers AND all conditions we can IMAGINE, that a statement is true. But that 'truth' that statement is limited by our knowledge & imagination.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 09:08 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;127371 wrote:

Hmmm. How about Lima? (Where Lima beans come from). Hint. It is another country in South America. Now, South America is.....never mind. Lima is enough. We'll save South America for another day. What does it mean to realize the truth of a statement. To realize that it is true? The only things I know that can be realized are capital gains. But I am not even doing that, nowadays.

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 10:15 AM ----------

groundedspirit;127443 wrote:
If we only have two choices (invent vs discover) I have to support discovery.
Because one thing I have seen raised here yet is 'conditionality'. It if was feel free to correct me that I missed it.
Any statement of truth or falsity can only be accepted under the conditions that statement includes certain conditions.
As we can never be sure we have considered ALL possible conditions there can never be what might be called an "absolute" truth.
We can only state that under ALL conditions we have discovers AND all conditions we can IMAGINE, that a statement is true. But that 'truth' that statement is limited by our knowledge & imagination.

The fact that we cannot be absolutely certain that a statement is true doesn't mean that it isn't true. It just means that we cannot be certain whether it is true (or false). If you mean by an "absolute truth" that we cannot know for certain that the statement is true, fine. But, as I just said, that does not mean that the statement is not true. Statements are not limited by our knowledge; and the truth of a statement is not limited by our knowledge. What is may limited is our knowledge that a statement is true, if we do not have enough information to know whether it is true. But I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. My knowledge is not limited in that case.

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 10:17 AM ----------

Fil. Albuquerque;127436 wrote:
...Truth is not invented but speech about the Truth is dynamic...
(do in the end I find it circular...)

What is circular, speech or truth, or both? What is circular speech, or what is circular truth, for that matter?

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 10:21 AM ----------

prothero;127435 wrote:
yes, but it is a rather trivial form of "truth" dont you think? Not at all the kind of metaphysical "Truth" which sages, scientists and philosophers seek albeit imperfectly.

Not trivial for the inhabitants of Quito, I imagine. One interesting metaphysical truth would be the truth about what it means to say of something that it does not exist. Don't you think? But I think I know the answer to that one.

prothero

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127447 wrote:
Not trivial for the inhabitants of Quito, I imagine. One interesting metaphysical truth would be the truth about what it means to say of something that it does not exist. Don't you think? But I think I know the answer to that one.

I have to guess (because you do not say plainly) that you are implying metaphysical truth does not "exist". That you are on the side of truth is invented and man is the creator and the measure of all "truth". Please clarify your position.

Quito is the capital of Ecuador because it was designated as such. In a few decades some other city could become the capital of Ecuador. This kind of truth is a sort of logical tautology and a philosophical triviality.

There are in my view more enduring and permanent types of truth. Just as the moon existed before it was perceived by man, the rational structure and mathematical intelligibility of the universe existed before it was discovered by man. For me the universe speaks of reason and therefore of truth. There are truths which are not human defintions or human inventions.

I prefer Plato, beauty is the splendor of truth to the Vienna Circle.

groundedspirit

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:19 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;127371 wrote:

Ahhhhhh,

But you see - this 'truth' is only a 'relative' truth Smile
If you are an aboriginal of that area you likely to have a completely different name for that conglomeration of buildings, people, machines etc.
And the term 'capital' is simply only another man made manifestation relating to their concept of boundaries - boundaries that define "Ecuador". And those boundaries are only 'relative' to those that believe and honor them.
But all of this is simply relative ! Smile

GS

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:23 pm
@prothero,
prothero;127595 wrote:
I have to guess (because you do not say plainly) that you are implying metaphysical truth does not "exist". That you are on the side of truth is invented and man is the creator and the measure of all "truth". Please clarify your position.

Quito is the capital of Ecuador because it was designated as such. In a few decades some other city could become the capital of Ecuador. This kind of truth is a sort of logical tautology and a philosophical triviality.

There are in my view more enduring and permanent types of truth. Just as the moon existed before it was perceived by man, the rational structure and mathematical intelligibility of the universe existed before it was discovered by man. For me the universe speaks of reason and therefore of truth. There are truths which are not human defintions or human inventions.

I prefer Plato, beauty is the splendor of truth to the Vienna Circle.

I am implying nothing. I am saying that an important metaphysical question is, what does it mean to say that something does not exist (or does exist)? That is what I wrote. Don't you think that what existence is, is an important metaphysical question?

How is it a logical tautology if (as you say) Quito might not be the capital in a few years? A tautology is (roughly) a definitional truth. How could it be a definitional truth that Quito is the capital of Ecuador? It is a contingent truth, and known empirically.

That Quito is the capital of Ecuador in 2009 is quite a permanent truth. I was true one million years ago, and it will be true in a million years that Quito is the capital of Ecuador in 2009. You see that, don't you? So how permanent can a truth be than that?

groundedspirit

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:23 pm
@prothero,
prothero;127595 wrote:

And here again we see the evidence of the relativity of truth.
As here we have introduced the factor of time. Time changes many things. What is 'true' if it were agreed upon at this moment, may no longer be by the time I finish writing this.

Smile

GS

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:28 pm
@groundedspirit,
groundedspirit;127605 wrote:
And here again we see the evidence of the relativity of truth.
As here we have introduced the factor of time. Time changes many things. What is 'true' if it were agreed upon at this moment, may no longer be by the time I finish writing this.

Smile

GS

Here I don't see the relativity of truth. Can you make me see it?

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 04:32 PM ----------

groundedspirit;127603 wrote:
Ahhhhhh,

But you see - this 'truth' is only a 'relative' truth Smile
If you are an aboriginal of that area you likely to have a completely different name for that conglomeration of buildings, people, machines etc.
And the term 'capital' is simply only another man made manifestation relating to their concept of boundaries - boundaries that define "Ecuador". And those boundaries are only 'relative' to those that believe and honor them.
But all of this is simply relative ! Smile

GS

That some people call President Obama, "Barack", and that some people call him, "Mr. President", but his children call him, "Daddy" shows the relativity of truth? Why? Why should the fact that things have different names show truth is relative? All the names refer to the same thing, don't they?

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:36 pm
@Reconstructo,
Proper names ideally refer to the same thing. But words like "rock" or "chair" are already abstract. As soon as we move on to "truth" or "justice," the limits of language become pretty obvious. We hope that the idea in the speakers head (which is arguably as much about emotion as thought) gets across the air and becomes an idea in the hearers head. How do we test this transmission? By the means of more words. And, perhaps more important, the behavior that follows hearing. Facial expression, body language, actions, etc.

Speech should not be considered in isolation. Meaning is a part of social practice. We do the best we can with these marks and noises. How different they are from integers.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:08 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127611 wrote:
Proper names ideally refer to the same thing. But words like "rock" or "chair" are already abstract. As soon as we move on to "truth" or "justice," the limits of language become pretty obvious. We hope that the idea in the speakers head (which is arguably as much about emotion as thought) gets across the air and becomes an idea in the hearers head. How do we test this transmission? By the means of more words. And, perhaps more important, the behavior that follows hearing. Facial expression, body language, actions, etc.

Speech should not be considered in isolation. Meaning is a part of social practice. We do the best we can with these marks and noises. How different they are from integers.

"Richard Nixon" and "Barak Obama" do not refer to the same thing. And those are proper names. Maybe you mean that two proper names may refer to the same thing? Well, that is true. "Mark Twain", and "Samuel Clemens" refer to the same person. And so do, "H.H. Munro" and "Saki". I don't understand what it is you are saying about "truth" and "justice", though. No one says they refer to the same thing so far as I know. Wat are you saying about the words, "truth" and "justice"?

prothero

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 07:43 pm
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;127604] I am implying nothing. I am saying that an important metaphysical question is, what does it mean to say that something does not exist (or does exist)? That is what I wrote. Don't you think that what existence is, is an important metaphysical question? [/QUOTE] I think it would be more interesting and more to the point of the thread to know your position of truth as a human product or truth as a property of the universe. I wish you would imply something.

[QUOTE=kennethamy;127604] How is it a logical tautology if (as you say) Quito might not be the capital in a few years? A tautology is (roughly) a definitional truth. How could it be a definitional truth that Quito is the capital of Ecuador? It is a contingent truth, and known empirically. [/QUOTE] Quito is the capital of Ecuador because it is designated or defined that way by the people of Ecuador and acknowledge as such by other countries (consensus). It is a trivial truth, a contingent, and changing truth, a matter of little philosophical concern.

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 05:47 PM ----------

Reconstructo;127611 wrote:

There are many experiences and probably many concepts which can only be paritally and inadequately expressed or communicated by language but what other tools do we have.
I think the question of truth as invented or truth as discovered is a fundamental question of philosophy in some ways the fundamental question. The universe is inherently rationally intelligible in my view and this speaks to reason and intelligence preceeding material essence, existence or being. In the begining was the word (Logos).

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 07:58 pm
@prothero,
prothero;127716 wrote:
I think it would be more interesting and more to the point of the thread to know your position of truth as a human product or truth as a property of the universe. I wish you would imply something.

Quito is the capital of Ecuador because it is designated or defined that way by the people of Ecuador and acknowledge as such by other countries (consensus). It is a trivial truth, a contingent, and changing truth, a matter of little philosophical concern.

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 05:47 PM ----------

There are many experiences and probably many concepts which can only be paritally and inadequately expressed or communicated by language but what other tools do we have.
I think the question of truth as invented or truth as discovered is a fundamental question of philosophy in some ways the fundamental question. The universe is inherently rationally intelligible in my view and this speaks to reason and intelligence preceeding material essence, existence or being. In the begining was the word (Logos).

Truth is discovered, and not invented. Invented truths are lies. I have posted that several times.

Whatever you think the philosophical concern is, that Quito is the capital is not a tautology, or a definitional truth. There are such truths. For example, that bachelors are unmarried men, which is a definitional truth (called an analytic truth) but that Quito is the capital of Ecuador is not a definitional or analytic truth.

I don't understand most of what you are saying in your last paragraph, so I won't try to answer it.

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 09:01 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127721 wrote:
Truth is discovered, and not invented. Invented truths are lies. I have posted that several times.

Whatever you think the philosophical concern is, that Quito is the capital is not a tautology, or a definitional truth. There are such truths. For example, that bachelors are unmarried men, which is a definitional truth (called an analytic truth) but that Quito is the capital of Ecuador is not a definitional or analytic truth.

I don't understand most of what you are saying in your last paragraph, so I won't try to answer it.
YouTube - Crowd Psychology & Manipulation 1 of 24 maybe you should study psycology a bit more.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 04:11 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127637 wrote:
"Richard Nixon" and "Barak Obama" do not refer to the same thing. And those are proper names. Maybe you mean that two proper names may refer to the same thing? Well, that is true. "Mark Twain", and "Samuel Clemens" refer to the same person. And so do, "H.H. Munro" and "Saki". I don't understand what it is you are saying about "truth" and "justice", though. No one says they refer to the same thing so far as I know. Wat are you saying about the words, "truth" and "justice"?

Perhaps I should have been clearer. But yes, of course I meant that a proper name refers to one thing. Does the word "justice" refer to one thing? Do we all experience the same meaning upon hearing this word? Not likely. What about "truth"? Does that mean one thing to everyone? This thread suggests that that it not the case.

"Truth" and "justice" are useful for rhetoric, in a non-pejorative sense of the word.

---------- Post added 02-13-2010 at 05:11 PM ----------

kennethamy;127721 wrote:

Where was the statement above discovered? Or did you invent it? Or is it just not true?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:33:24