Did Samuel Johnson misunderstand George Berkeley?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Humanity

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 09:18 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143541 wrote:
I hate to break it to you: you are NOT going to find any Transcendental project that explores in more depth the synthetic a priori conditions of all experience than in Kant's own Critique. Berkeley didn't even have a Transcendental project at all. He merely ran with a common-sense epistemic empiricist principle and drew invalid conclusions from it. I even recommend reading David Hume before Berkeley.

Berkeley made horrible blunders, and his philosophy is rather reserved for the simple-minded. I doesn't accomplish anything. It is dead end. So I strongly recommend devoting your full blown attention to Kant in depth instead. His philosophy is incredibly fruitful and fuels further research and exploration unlike Berkeley's philosophy which is a stale dead end.
You may have not read all my postings.
I only read Berkeley thoroughly to find out why philosophers like Moore and Stove are making a mockery of him.
I found out what he said do make sense.
But, I am not particularly interested in Berkeley at all, except to defend him being bashed as a strawman as in this OP.

Quote:
But the results of modern sciences only yield empirical a posteriori truths, and their discoveries as they stand are very foreign to Kant's actual enterpise. Kant's project is a Transcendental project concerning uncovering the a priori necessary truths within the spontaneous cognitive faculties of mind--and these kinds of results empirical science cannot provide due to the very nature of its subject. Science is empirical. Kants project is a priori pure without taking any content provided by empirical perception at all.
You are short-sighted on this.
Evolutionary theory, neuroscience, cognitive neurosciences and the likes can penetrate into the a priori on a neuronal basis.
What other better tool to delve into our cognitive faculties other than cognitive neurosciences and complemented with others relevant sciences.

Quote:

You need to pick up all the modern day commentary on Kant's Critique, stop cherry-picking isolated passages out of context that *appear* to support your point, and stop mentioning only a very small minority of misguided people who agree with you while ignoring all the rest of the scholarship which emphatically disagrees. I have devoted my strictest attention to the Critique many times over; I possess extensive notes about it which come from my own readings and others' readings of the text; and I have written several papers on this work myself. But guess what: I do NOT see George Berkeley's Idealism evident anywhere in the Critique.

You can assume and presume all you want.
These days with the internet and torrents, we can have access to many books and download them.
Anyone who has keen interests in any philosophers would have a collection of related books and papers easily and readily.

Kant was a great (genius and savant?) with his Copernican turn but he put up a thick wall infront of him and did not want to go further.

Schopenhauer with the advantage of a later period and having access to a wider range of new knowledge went further into a higher level of philosophy.

Extrain

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 09:32 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;143545 wrote:
Yes he did. And that is why he is such an important philosopher, and we can learn so much from him just by unraveling his mistakes. How could his arguments be any good when they are in support of such an absurd conclusion? But how much can we learn from his arguments? A great deal! In addition, he was an excellent and shrewd critic of representative realism from whom representative realists have a lot to learn. Even now. So, I cannot agree with your assessment of him.

But it is so easy to refute Berkeley's Idealism once you see the fundamental error in his "Master Argument." To a green-recruit in philosophy, sure, Berkeley's view seems to be insightful and thorough--and I used to be a fan before I began my formal training in philosophy. After all, it only took my taking one undergraduate course in college years ago to see his mistakes, and I don't think his arguments offer any fundamental mind-boggling challenges to the representational theory of perception either. I find Berkelian Idealism quite naive, actually, and lacking the rigor necessary to address the tough epistemological questions that Kant addressed--especially after you get drilled with Kant's Critique so many times over, and other contemporary positions in epistemology. I think Kant "blows Berkeley out of the water," in terms of rigor, honesty, thoroughness, genius, and insightfulness. And Kant was only one generation removed from Berkeley.

Humanity

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 09:40 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143551 wrote:
But it is so easy to refute Berkeley's Idealism once you see the fundamental error in his "Master Argument." To a green-recruit in philosophy, sure, Berkeley's view seems to be insightful and thorough--and I used to be a fan before I began my formal training in philosophy. After all, it only took my taking one undergraduate course in college years ago to see his mistakes, and I don't think his arguments offer any fundamental mind-boggling challenges to the representational theory of perception either. I find Berkelian Idealism quite naive, actually, and lacking the rigor necessary to address the tough epistemological questions that Kant addressed--especially after you get drilled with Kant's Critique so many times over, and other contemporary positions in epistemology. I think Kant "blows Berkeley out of the water," in terms of rigor, honesty, thoroughness, genius, and insightfulness. And Kant was only one generation removed from Berkeley.
When one is insulting Berkeley's philosophy, one is merele insulting one's own intelligence.
Worst still if it is based on the misunderstanding of his philosophy.
I make an attempt to see the positive in Berkeley.

Berkeley's philosophy in the tradition of the involvement of the mind is equivalent to kindergarten standard.
If you are at college level, there is no need to make a nuisance of yourself by arguing strongly and egoistically plus condemning the ideas put forward by a kindergarten kid.

SammDickens

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:03 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;143453 wrote:
Obviously, that evidence may make something highly plausible, but may not prove it, in the sense of mathematical demonstration. So,kicking a stone may not refute (beyond all doubt) that there are no material objects, but it does so beyond all reasonable doubt (at least in an age when there were no holographs).

Then, are you supposing at least that Johnson believed only material reality could be substantial (e.g., solid) and therefore felt that kicking the stone to verify its solidity would also verify its materiality? If so, do you agree? If not, what do you think Johnson's reasoning was?

To me, it must be either true or false that Berkeley argued against the solidity of objects. If it is true, then Johnson succeeds; if it is not, then Johnson fails (to refute Berkeley). The "beyond all reasonable doubt" part hinges on this; for there can be no doubt unless it is conceivable that Berkeley has argued against the substantiality of objects.

It is clear that he argues against the material reality of objects, but in doing so, is it possible that he meant to argue against the substantiality of those objects? Was Johnson, as it appears, and are you arguing that Berkeley argued that objects in reality are insubstantial, such that a foot would go through a stone that it kicked?

In my understanding, this must be your argument. But it is ludicrous to me that anyone should suspect that such an argument might ever be made by a sane man, much less ever receive the respect it has received in philosophical tradition. That is why I find Johnson's action so ridiculous.

Samm

Extrain

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:03 am
@Humanity,
Humanity;143546 wrote:
But, I am not particularly interested in Berkeley at all, except to defend him being bashed as a strawman as in this OP.

whatever. Again, this charge is empty. If you think people have a strawmanned Berkeley, then show it. I don't believe you at all.

Humanity;143546 wrote:
You are short-sighted on this.
Evolutionary theory, neuroscience, cognitive neurosciences and the likes can penetrate into the a priori on a neuronal basis.

haha! No. The empricial sciences can only reveal a posteriori truth because they are empirical sciences. All philosophy (including Kant's Transcendental Analytic) yields a priori necessary truths because it is a non-empirical enterprise. sheesh...you are in desperate need of a philosophical dictionary.

Humanity;143546 wrote:
What other better tool to delve into our cognitive faculties other than cognitive neurosciences and complemented with others relevant sciences.

Sure, this would be valuable in its own right. But this isn't a philosophical project. This is a scientific one. You will get results about empirical condtioning, cognitive functioning, and derive empirical theories about memory access, cognitive report, and control, and perhaps some results about psychological behavior too. But science cannot reveal normative rules about the a priori logical and metaphysical principles governing all sense-experience--which is precisely what a Transcendental Project seeks to uncover. At most, these sciences will reveal empirically-conditioned neural patterns about emprically testable cognitive behavior. It will not reveal normative logical and metaphysical principles because whatever empirical theory you happen to derive scientifically will actually presuppose these logical and metaphysical principles themselves by which these theories are derived. So these principles are presupposed in all experience itself, not derivable from all experience. This is exactly what is so Unique about Kant's Transcendental project. He wants to uncover what it is that makes experience normatively, logically, and metaphyiscally possible--not merely empirically possible: which is all that scientific research will unconver.

Humanity;143546 wrote:
You can assume and presume all you want.
These days with the internet and torrents, we can have access to many books and download them. Anyone who has keen interests in any philosophers would have a collection of related books and papers easily and readily.

Are you now a student at a university? If you are, you should know that online peer-reviewed journals will not let download articles, print them, or read them unless you are affiliated with an actual university--otherwise you will have to pay at around 20 to 40 bucks for each article.

Most of the contemporary groundbreaking work in philosophy, and in every other academic discpline for that matter, is published in these peer-reviewed journals and not in actual books (although some are). So your online access to these journals will be severely limited unless you are enrolled in a university or are willing to pay high bucks for these articles.

But maybe you are already a student?

Humanity;143546 wrote:
Kant is a great (genius and savant?) with his Copernican turn but he put up a thick wall infront of him and did not want to go further.

"Didn't go further" with respect to what??

Humanity;143546 wrote:
Schopenhauer with the advantage of a later period and having access to a wider range of new knowledge went further into a higher level of philosophy.

Oh yeah? And how so? Can you explain why you think this? or are you just claiming to know something you actually don't again?

SammDickens

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:15 am
@kennethamy,
Congratulations, kennethamy, on starting and supporting this lengthy thread which still has a lot of life in it and room for more people to get involved. I have found you at times immovable and frustrating, and expect to continue so-- :-) --but you have done well providing a stimulating thread.

Samm

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:18 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143551 wrote:

But I did not say that Berkeley's theory was even plausible. Indeed, I said quite the opposite. I said it was absurd. I think his criticisms of representative realism hit the mark, but that has to be discussed by examples. And, I said we can learn a lot from Berkeley's mistakes. Was Kant greater than Berkeley. I suppose so, although Kant had Berkeley's and Hume's shoulders to stand on, remember.

Extrain

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:20 am
@Humanity,
Humanity;143555 wrote:
When one is insulting Berkeley's philosophy, one is merele insulting one's own intelligence.

Lol! Speak for yourself. You have offered 0 arguments. I have offered plenty. So who is really insulting his own intelligence here?

Besides, I was a fan of Berkeley for years. And there is nothing wrong with noticing all his mistakes. I don't dis-value him. I only reject alot of what I consider the simple-mindedly invalid arguments he gives, which is what makes them so simple-mindedly refutable.

Humanity;143555 wrote:
Worst still if it is based on the misunderstanding of his philosophy.

Let's start counting how many times you say the same thing over and over again without any proof, shall we? I estimate this is probably the 7th time you have said this.

Humanity;143555 wrote:
Berkeley's philosophy in the tradition of the involvement of the mind is equivalent to kindergarten standard.

If you mean to say that some of Berkeley's philosophy is capable of appealing to a kindergartener, then I like that evaluation. haha.

Humanity;143555 wrote:
If you are at college level, there is no need to make a nuisance of yourself by arguing strongly and egoistically plus condemning the ideas put forward by a kindergarten kid.

What's wrong with arguing strongly? That's what we do in philosophy. So who wants to argue weakly? you?

If an argument is simple-minded, invalid, unsound, then it needs to be shown that it is simple minded, invalid, unsound.

SammDickens

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:22 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;143576 wrote:
But I did not say that Berkeley's theory was even plausible. Indeed, I said quite the opposite. I said it was absurd. I think his criticisms of representative realism hit the mark, but that has to be discussed by examples. And, I said we can learn a lot from Berkeley's mistakes. Was Kant greater than Berkeley. I suppose so, although Kant had Berkeley's and Hume's shoulders to stand on, remember.

Yes, but Johnson would point out that if Kant attempted to stand on Berkeley's shoulders, he would certainly plummet to the ground, as they were, supposedly, quite insubstantial! Smile

Samm

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:25 am
@SammDickens,
Samm;143578 wrote:
Yes, but Johnson would point out that if Kant attempted to stand on Berkeley's shoulders, he would certainly plummet to the ground, as they were, supposedly, quite insubstantial! Smile

Samm

Supposedly insubstantial shoulders can be stood on as well as substantial shoulders as long as they are only supposedly insubstantial, and not insubstantial.

SammDickens

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:25 am
@kennethamy,
Extrain, you obviously disagree with Berkeley as most of us do in one regard or another. But do you like Johnson, think that kicking a stone can refute Berkeley's argument about the nature of reality?

Extrain

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;143576 wrote:

Ok, my apologies. I agree.

I'm not so sure Kant is indebted to Berkeley that much at all--certainly not near as much as he is indebted to Hume. Kant himself thought he owed homage to Hume and Leibniz, actually.

---------- Post added 03-25-2010 at 10:34 AM ----------

Samm;143583 wrote:
Extrain, you obviously disagree with Berkeley as most of us do in one regard or another. But do you like Johnson, think that kicking a stone can refute Berkeley's argument about the nature of reality?

Way to bring me back to the topic.Smile

I was reading everyone else's Moorean approach to this, and guess I would respond the same way--namely, by first weighing the initial plausibilities of competing alternative hypotheses before I answer....

Remember, Berkeley starts out his arguments with what he calls a very "common sense" princple but then derives (albeit invalidly) a very counterintuitive conclusion. And Moore approached the topic of skepticism, just like everyone seems to be approaching Berkeley's argument here. Moore used the "your modens ponens is my modus tollens" reply to the skeptic. Like here:

Skeptic says:

If I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat, then I do not know that I have hands.
I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat.
Therefore, I do not know that I have hands.

Moore says:

If i do not know that I am not a brain in a vat, then I do not know that I have hands.
But I do know that I have hands.
Therefore, I do know that I am not a brain in a vat.

So which premise is more plausible than the other? That I know that I have hands? Or that I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat?
Philosophers will answer differently.

I would respond similarly to Berkeley about Idealism if I were to take this approach.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:49 am
@kennethamy,
Samm wrote:
But of course, brakes that do not work are not made because they cannot be sold. So it is unlikely that pressing the brakes will prove anything except that whatever kind of brakes you have either do or don't work when pressed.

Samm
But that is what I just said. If I pressed on my brakes, and my car stopped, I would prove to you that the brakes stop my car (that is, they work). That seems to be proof enough, especially if we had no reason to believe there were any extraneous circumstances.

And as for what company manufactured the brakes, there are many ways to find out who the manufacturer is. But how is that relevant?

As far as I understand it, just like pressing my brakes can prove if they work or not, so too can kicking something prove that it exists and/or is material or not. Of course, if you want to start butchering the definition of "matter" we could be here all day. But do you have any other reason for thinking that kicking a stone is not demonstrating that the object is made of matter (if we assume the most commonly used definition)?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 11:56 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143584 wrote:
Ok, my apologies. I agree.

I'm not so sure Kant is indebted to Berkeley that much at all--certainly not near as much as he is indebted to Hume. Kant himself thought he owed homage to Hume and Leibniz, actually.

---------- Post added 03-25-2010 at 10:34 AM ----------

Way to bring me back to the topic.Smile

I was reading everyone else's Moorean approach to this, and guess I would respond the same way--namely, by first weighing the initial plausibilities of competing alternative hypotheses before I answer....

Remember, Berkeley starts out his arguments with what he calls a very "common sense" princple but then derives (albeit invalidly) a very counterintuitive conclusion. And Moore approached the topic of skepticism, just like everyone seems to be approaching Berkeley's argument here. Moore used the "your modens ponens is my modus tollens" reply to the skeptic. Like here:

Skeptic says:

If I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat, then I do not know that I have hands.
I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat.
Therefore, I do not know that I have hands.

Moore says:

If i do not know that I am not a brain in a vat, then I do not know that I have hands.
But I do know that I have hands.
Therefore, I do know that I am not a brain in a vat.

So which premise is more plausible than the other? That I know that I have hands? Or that I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat?
Philosophers will answer differently.

I would respond similarly to Berkeley about Idealism if I were to take this approach.

But, considering the complexity of the notion knowing that one is a brain in a vat, and what implications that would have, as contrasted with the comparative simplicity of knowing I have two hands, what would you consider the comparative likelihood of the two? I think it is obviously more likely that I know I have two hands than that I do not know I am a brain in a vat. I have a lot of reason for thinking the first is true, and I have no reason for thinking the latter is true. Is that, in any way, dubious?

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:17 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;143638 wrote:
But, considering the complexity of the notion knowing that one is a brain in a vat, and what implications that would have, as contrasted with the comparative simplicity of knowing I have two hands, what would you consider the comparative likelihood of the two? I think it is obviously more likely that I know I have two hands than that I do not know I am a brain in a vat. I have a lot of reason for thinking the first is true, and I have no reason for thinking the latter is true. Is that, in any way, dubious?

Yes, just because we can conjure circumstances like the brain in the vat, does not mean we should genuinely consider them as plausible. We have no reason to believe we are brains in vats, and we have every reason to believe we are people with bodies.

But people present the brain in the vat thought-experiment as some sort of negative proof that we cannot know how we are experiencing this world. And that seems to me silly, since the burden of proof is on the person stating we are brains in vats, and not I for believing I am actually walking down streets and kicking stones.

Extrain

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 01:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;143638 wrote:

I'm on the same page, but wait a minute. Just for clarity: The way I (and Moore) had formulated the problem, the likelihood of the hypothesis that I know I am a brain in a vat is nowhere up for grabs here. Nor is the hypothesis that I am a brain in a vat, or not a brain in a vat.. Nor is the hypothesis that I do not know I am a brain in a vat up for grabs either. Assuming we all accept the truth of the conditional in (1) (which is just the epistemic closure principle for knowledge), the actual two premises up for consideration are,

I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat and,

vs.

I know that I have two hands.

Or alternatively, we might consider the conclusion of each argument up for grabs influencing our assement, namely,

I know that I am not a brain in a vat.

vs.

I don't know that I have hands.

I don't see how considering the latter two competing hypotheses will change much of our initial attitudes with respect to what we do, or do no, find more plausible with respect to the former two competing hypotheses. So perhaps considering the latter two is superfluous from the start....Does this sound right?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 01:22 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;143645 wrote:
Yes, just because we can conjure circumstances like the brain in the vat, does not mean we should genuinely consider them as plausible. We have no reason to believe we are brains in vats, and we have every reason to believe we are people with bodies.

But people present the brain in the vat thought-experiment as some sort of negative proof that we cannot know how we are experiencing this world. And that seems to me silly, since the burden of proof is on the person stating we are brains in vats, and not I for believing I am actually walking down streets and kicking stones.

The problem is that the sentence: I might be a BIV might just mean, "I don't know I am not a BIV" (which it sometimes does mean) in which case, of course, necessarily, if I might be a BIV then I don't know I am not. But, I might be a BIV might also mean, "It is logically possible that I am a BIV" (which it also sometimes does) and if it means that, then, of course, it does not follow at all that I don't know I am a BIV.

The fallacy is to suppose that because "I might be a BIV" can mean the that I don't know I am not a BIV, that because it can also mean, "It is logically possible that I am a BIV" that it means, that I don't know I am not a BIV To suppose that would be to commit the fallacy of equivocation. After all, just because it is logically possible that something is true does not mean I don't know that it is false. So, just because it is logically possible that I am a BIV, it cannot follow from that, that I don't know I am not a BIV. And certainly not just because I might be a BIV might mean both that I don't know I am not a BIV, and it might also mean that it is logically possible that I am a BIV.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 04:25 pm
@kennethamy,
I find consideration of this so-called 'brain in vat' a bit trivialising, really. There are much more realistic scenarios for imagining the way in which reality, so-called, might be a grand illusion. One is, that it does exist pretty much exactly as it appears, but that we attribute to it all kinds of meanings and qualities which it doesn't have, on the basis of our own prejudices and attitudes. It exists, but its existence is not what we take it to be. We continually misapprehend it. I think there is a fair amount of common-sense support for this idea on television, actually.

Anyway, off the point. I only had one comment I wanted to have criticized here. I think esse means 'to be', and 'to be' does not mean the same as 'to exist'. It is true that I can say that 'I exist' and 'I am', however I think the two terms mean different things. 'My existence' refers to my being in the world, the external facts of my person, etc. 'My being' is the ground in which these inhere. I suppose I am veering off into some kind of existentialism here.

But as a result, I think there is a difference between the ideas 'to be is to be perceived' and 'something only exists if it is perceived'. The role of mind is pivotal, once again. It is within the mind that the nature of existence is realized, or made real. This does not say outside the human mind, or a mind, that nothing exists. I think it is to say, that outside mind, nothing either exists or does not exist. But I know that is not going to stand up, on face value. I certainly have much more reading to do.

Ayway I acknowledge this has not much to do with Berkeley. I now understand - thanks to all - the limitations of Berkeley's view. I don't think his view is without some truth, or without merit, but at the same time, I also don't believe it provides a complete philosophical outlook. At best it is a statement that says 'in an important sense, esse est percipe' - and then proceeds to try and create an entire worldview on this basis.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 04:45 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;143740 wrote:
I find consideration of this so-called 'brain in vat' a bit trivialising, really. There are much more realistic scenarios for imagining the way in which reality, so-called, might be a grand illusion. One is, that it does exist pretty much exactly as it appears, but that we attribute to it all kinds of meanings and qualities which it doesn't have, on the basis of our own prejudices and attitudes. It exists, but its existence is not what we take it to be. We continually misapprehend it. I think there is a fair amount of common-sense support for this idea on television, actually.

Anyway, off the point. I only had one comment I wanted to have criticized here. I think esse means 'to be', and 'to be' does not mean the same as 'to exist'. It is true that I can say that 'I exist' and 'I am', however I think the two terms mean different things. 'My existence' refers to my being in the world, the external facts of my person, etc. 'My being' is the ground in which these inhere. I suppose I am veering off into some kind of existentialism here.

But as a result, I think there is a difference between the ideas 'to be is to be perceived' and 'something only exists if it is perceived'. The role of mind is pivotal, once again. It is within the mind that the nature of existence is realized, or made real. This does not say outside the human mind, or a mind, that nothing exists. I think it is to say, that outside mind, nothing either exists or does not exist. But I know that is not going to stand up, on face value. I certainly have much more reading to do.

Ayway I acknowledge this has not much to do with Berkeley. I now understand - thanks to all - the limitations of Berkeley's view. I don't think his view is without some truth, or without merit, but at the same time, I also don't believe it provides a complete philosophical outlook. At best it is a statement that says 'in an important sense, esse est percipe' - and then proceeds to try and create an entire worldview on this basis.

I don't think that the world is "pretty much as it seems" (whatever that means-what is packed into the term, "pretty much" is the question). Clearly, science has shown that many things in the world are not as they seem. So, what you mean by that is not clear. How is the world not what it seems other than how science shows it is not? And, even if some things in the world are not as they seem in some metaphysical way, how would that show that the world might be one grand illusion? Even if some things are not as they seem, why would that show that everything might not what it seems? Wouldn't you consider that something of a leap of faith. Are our senses and reason inveterately unreliable because we are mistaken sometimes? Don't you think that is rather a stretch? There is a thread on this forum as to whether our cognitive faculties are (inherently) unreliable. And one thing that was pointed out on that thread was that the only way we could tell such a thing would be by (yes, you guessed it) relying on those very cognitive faculties which are said to be so unreliable.

Berkeley is generally understood to mean by, "esse est percipi" that esse is identical with percipi. That is to say that "to be" and "to exist" mean the same thing. Therefore, to say that X exists is equivalent to saying that X is perceived, and conversely. Thus, unless something is perceived, it does not exist, and unless something exists, it is not perceived. You may find this interpretation of Berkeley disconcerting, since the view as interpreted is clearly false. But, there it is. Like it or lump it.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 06:14 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;143747 wrote:
That is to say that "to be" and "to exist" mean the same thing.

I don't think this is true, but as it is a completely different argument to the main one I will pursue it elsewhere.

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 11:55 AM ----------

Knowing is intrinsic to 'being' and extrinsic to 'existing'.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.17 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 02:00:33