Did Samuel Johnson misunderstand George Berkeley?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:01 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;144445 wrote:
Figures. I guess David Stove would have said that, too. I would have been interested to know, however, what his positive philosophy was. I never could figure that out.

How is your post relevant to my post? Mine is about your argument, yours is about David Stove.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:25 am
@kennethamy,
OK it seems that David Stove's argument against Berkeley is that Berkeley's philosophy is based on a tautology and is preposterous - one of the worst arguments in the world. Stove's argument doesn't seem a lot different to Johnson's, really. I have come to understand more of the shortcomings of Berkeley's philosophy, but I don't think it is as wrong as Stove says it is. But I don't think I will re-open the whole debate.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 05:41 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;144500 wrote:
OK it seems that David Stove's argument against Berkeley is that Berkeley's philosophy is based on a tautology and is preposterous - one of the worst arguments in the world. Stove's argument doesn't seem a lot different to Johnson's, really. I have come to understand more of the shortcomings of Berkeley's philosophy, but I don't think it is as wrong as Stove says it is. But I don't think I will re-open the whole debate.

Not a tautology. Why do you say that? And he shows it is invalid, but, if you like, preposterously invalid. I think it is a lot different from Johnson's. Johnson tried to show that B.'s conclusion, that there are no material objects, is false (and that, therefore, B's argument is unsound). But Stove tries to show that B's argument is invalid. That his conclusion does not follow from his premises. Johnson attacks B's conclusion directly. Stove attacks his argument. Very different kinds of criticism.

By the way, Stove does not say B's argument is one of the worst arguments in the world. He say it is the worst argument in the world.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 06:03 am
@kennethamy,
"Stove argued that this claim [e.g., Berkeley's] proceeds from the tautology that nothing can be thought of without its being thought of, to the conclusion that nothing can exist without its being thought of." Source

Yes you are right in saying that Stove's argument is different to Johnson's.

---------- Post added 03-27-2010 at 11:08 PM ----------

Mind you, the fundamental difficulty that still confronts analytical philosophers is that developments in physics in regard to the fundamental nature of matter itself, have actually undermined the basis of objectivism, as we have discussed elsewhere. It also seems to me that Russell's, Stove's and Moore's criticisms of Berkeley all proceed on the basis that we have a perfectly clear idea of what mind is and what matter is, and I don't think this is true at all.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 06:38 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;144522 wrote:
"Stove argued that this claim [e.g., Berkeley's] proceeds from the tautology that nothing can be thought of without its being thought of, to the conclusion that nothing can exist without its being thought of." Source

Yes you are right in saying that Stove's argument is different to Johnson's.

---------- Post added 03-27-2010 at 11:08 PM ----------

Mind you, the fundamental difficulty that still confronts analytical philosophers is that developments in physics in regard to the fundamental nature of matter itself, have actually undermined the basis of objectivism, as we have discussed elsewhere. It also seems to me that Russell's, Stove's and Moore's criticisms of Berkeley all proceed on the basis that we have a perfectly clear idea of what mind is and what matter is, and I don't think this is true at all.

I don't think that it is claimed that Stove says that the problem is that B.s premises is a tautology. I think what he says is that the problem is that premises is a tautology, but that the conclusion is not a tautology. The mistake is that such an argument (a premise that is a tautology, but a conclusion that is not a tautology) must be invalid. A non-tautologous conclusion cannot be validly derived from a tautologous premise.

developments in physics in regard to the fundamental nature of matter itself, have actually undermined the basis of objectivism,

I know that some claim that. But even if that were true, would it follow that the statement Johnson kicked a material object is not objective? I don't see why. Perhaps the statement that Johnson kicked an electron would be different. I don't know.

It also seems to me that Russell's, Stove's and Moore's criticisms of Berkeley all proceed on the basis that we have a perfectly clear idea of what mind is and what matter is, and I don't think this is true at all.

I don't see why you say that.

SammDickens

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 10:47 am
@kennethamy,
"...the thing in itself..."

Berkeley spoke of many things, domestic animals included, as soulless and mindless beings whose existence was no different from that of the stone. So it seems to me from my reading. Do others agree? I think Berkeley saw only humans as having mind. This seems to have been to him the breath of God by which we are created in the image of God (as in the creation myth in the Old Testament book of Genesis).

I think Berkeley might have identified the mind as that which we call "the thing in itself," that which is the essence of a being. I don't know that he actually DID make such an association, or even that the concept of "the thing in itself" was on the table in his time and place.

To me, it is the mind, and specifically that mental function (?) by which we experience and perceive and are aware of ourselves and our world, that is for humans our "thing in itself." I say that to be is to be conscious. Some of you here of course do not accept that animals and plants have anything even resembling human consciousness, but then I am talking about my personal understanding of what "the thing in itself" might be. But let's focus our search for "the thing in itself" on ourselves and what in us most completely satisfies our understanding of what "we in ourselves" truly are. What do you all say there?

p.s. - Please don't tell me what other philosophers have said that you agree with. I know we all can and do read. I want to know what you think. What you yourself think, even if it's very similar to a philosopher you have read. What is the essence of your human existence? What is the you in yourself?

Samm

jeeprs

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 04:16 pm
@kennethamy,
Berkely was a nominalist, as distinct from a realist (as far as I can tell, anyway.) Briefly, nominalism denied that there were 'real universals'. The latter were the basis of scholastic philosophy, which was a synthesis of Aristotle and Augustine with many Platonist elements, such as the universals. Aquinas crystallized the whole system in Summae. The nominalists, starting with William of Ockham, on the other hand, denied the real universals, (or took a razor to them!) or the reality of the Forms and Ideas, and claimed that God created each individual as a unique instance. Whereas the scholastics believed that the nature of Deity could therefore be inferred on the basis of the intelligibility of the natural world, the nominalists emphasized the unknowability and omnipotence of God who could create the world however he pleased (with certain caveats.) This is covered in The Theological Origins of Modernity by Gillespie. It is also very much responsible for the philosophical, or anti-philosophical, attitude of protestantism.

As far what you are calling 'the mental function', I think this goes back to what Aristotle called 'the active intellect'. This was, very roughly speaking, the aspect of the mind which discerned the divine nature. Ideas of this type are ubiquitous in all traditional philosophy, although have generally been dropped from modern philosophy which is considerably more secular (therefore no divine nature to discern). In Plotinus, Nous was both 'the divine intelligence' in the sense of the organising principle, and also the faculty by which it is discerned (cf Eckhardt 'the eye with which I see God, and the eye by which God sees me, is the same eye').

As regards the soullessness of animals, Descartes had the same opinion, and in fact I think it was characteristic of pre-modern thought generally. Everything was situated in one place or another in the Great Chain of Being. Humans were above animals, but below angels, etc. Animals were regarded as very base, only one rung above vegetable matter. (One shudders to think of how animals were treated in medieval times.)

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 04:20 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;144844 wrote:

As regards the soullessness of animals, Descartes had the same opinion, and in fact I think it was characteristic of pre-modern thought generally. Everything was situated in one place or another in the Great Chain of Being. Humans were above animals, but below angels, etc. Animals were regarded as very base, only one rung above vegetable matter. (One shudders to think of how animals were treated in medieval times.)

Vivisection was standard practice among the Port Royal philosophers.

Humanity

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 08:42 pm
@SammDickens,
Samm;144633 wrote:
"...the thing in itself..."

Berkeley spoke of many things, domestic animals included, as soulless and mindless beings whose existence was no different from that of the stone. So it seems to me from my reading. Do others agree? I think Berkeley saw only humans as having mind. This seems to have been to him the breath of God by which we are created in the image of God (as in the creation myth in the Old Testament book of Genesis).

I think Berkeley might have identified the mind as that which we call "the thing in itself," that which is the essence of a being. I don't know that he actually DID make such an association, or even that the concept of "the thing in itself" was on the table in his time and place.

To me, it is the mind, and specifically that mental function (?) by which we experience and perceive and are aware of ourselves and our world, that is for humans our "thing in itself." I say that to be is to be conscious. Some of you here of course do not accept that animals and plants have anything even resembling human consciousness, but then I am talking about my personal understanding of what "the thing in itself" might be. But let's focus our search for "the thing in itself" on ourselves and what in us most completely satisfies our understanding of what "we in ourselves" truly are. What do you all say there?

p.s. - Please don't tell me what other philosophers have said that you agree with. I know we all can and do read. I want to know what you think. What you yourself think, even if it's very similar to a philosopher you have read. What is the essence of your human existence? What is the you in yourself?
Samm
Berkeley did not agree with the "thing-in-itself" as claimed in the philosophical materialist perspective.
He was very specific on this in the Dialogues.
However, i believe (B did not say so) he would agree to the concept of "god-in-itself".

Schopenhauer disagreed with Kant on the concept of "the thing-in-itself".
He believed that there is a thing-in-itself in human beings and they are experiencing it while being alive.
To Schopenhauer, everyone's thing-in-itself is inter-connected and manifest from the Will.
However, Schopenhauer proposed that 'humans' should use their higher mind to avoid being a slave to one's thing-in-itself and the Will.
Don't take the above too literally to avoid miscomprehension at least till you have read his books.

To Kant, the "thing-in-itself" is not recommended to be viewed as a thing per-se but just a limiting concept to check the extreme inevitable speculations by one's pure reason.

Extrain

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 09:11 pm
@Humanity,
Humanity;144947 wrote:
To Kant, the "thing-in-itself" is not recommended to be viewed as a thing per-se but just a limiting concept to check the extreme inevitable speculations by one's pure reason.

Yes! You got it!:a-ok:

That's totally different than Berkeley's denial of Material-Substance.

Humanity

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 09:42 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;144958 wrote:
Yes! You got it!:a-ok:
That's totally different than Berkeley's denial of Material-Substance.
I see similarities in both Berkeley and Kant on this issue.
Berkeley's was crude while Kant's was relatively more specific and refine.
Berkeley was denying the ontology of the philosophical realists' 'Matter'
while Kant denied the ontology (in absolute term) of all things including god.
The absolute 'Material-Subtance' is just another form of speculation by pure reason,
albeit of much lesser degree than god, soul or other supernaturals entities.
No supporting details here, as this is part of the ongoing discussion in the other thread.

Extrain

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 05:15 am
@Humanity,
Humanity;144968 wrote:
I see similarities in both Berkeley and Kant on this issue.

Why did you insist on continue talking? You should have stopped right there--because that is all Kant has to say about it. The rest of this nonsense below is false, because Kant never said any of it. Stop comparing Kant to Berkeley please. You obviously no nothing of Kant whatsoever, and you are making things up.

Mere similar-looking patterns about what they said doesn't mean they said the same thing at all. When I say "everyone's hopes are rising, the tide is rising, and the average life-span is rising" I am not saying all these things are rising in the same way. It would be absurd to say that everyone's hopes are rising faster than the average life span, for instance. It is just a useless and faulty comparison.

So suppose I said "If God exists, then the existence of God cannot be known in himself." Can you tell me by that statement alone whether I am an atheist or theist? No. So how do you know what I actually believe with respect to God's existence: you don't. So stop making things up about Kant.

Quote:
Berkeley's was crude while Kant's was relatively more specific and refine.

Not at all; it is the reverse. Kant calls the thing-in-itself, "the thing-in-itself," nothing more nothing less--and he stops there. Berkeley, on the other hand, goes to great lengths explaining what Material Substance is supposed to be--as can be seen in his discussion with Hylas.

Berkeley denied the existence of an external world existing independently of the mind, Kant did not. Berkeley denied the existence of Material Substance, Kant did not. Berkeley said all things are either minds or ideas, Kant did not. Berkeley said only Ideas are the immediate objects of perception, Kant did not--Kant said the object itself is the immediate object of perception.

Quote:
Berkeley was denying the ontology of the philosophical realists' 'Matter'

And Kant accepted the philosophical realist's conception of Matter as "that which exists independently of the mind." Further, this thing called "material Substance" really exists too, and exists independently of the mind's perception and conception of it.

Quote:
while Kant denied the ontology (in absolute term) of all things including god.

huh? You just said Kant denied the existence (in absolute term) of all things--that's what "ontology" means--it means existence or Being. And if Kant denies the ontology of all things, then Kant denies the existence of all things--which is clearly false. And Kant didn't deny the absolute existence of anything merely because it is independent of sense-experience, not even the thing-in-itself--because if he did, he would have committed the Berkelian metaphysical error. Kant says nothing positively or negatively about the thing in itself in the Critique. It is merely a theoretical postulate to counter those metaphysicians who think knowledge of the external world independent of sense experience is possible.

Quote:
The absolute 'Material-Subtance' is just another form of speculation by pure reason,

Kant never said this because Material Substance is directly known in experience! So where are you getting this from? Stop inventing things up off the top of your head!!!!!!!! It's insulting to Kant and everyone else because it is complety false, and Kant never this anywhere. What if I went around spreading misinformed false rumours about you to everyone else? Wouldn't you be upset??

Quote:
albeit of much lesser degree than god, soul or other supernaturals entities. No supporting details here, as this is part of the ongoing discussion in the other thread.

This sounds like Berkeley, not Kant. Kant wouldn't say ANY of this. Why do you invent things up? Do you really think the pink elephants you imagine in your head exist, because you seem to believe that whatever imaginary thing that springs to your head must true.

Humanity

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 01:26 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;145113 wrote:
Why did you insist on continue talking? You should have stopped right there--because that is all Kant has to say about it. The rest of this nonsense below is false, because Kant never said any of it. Stop comparing Kant to Berkeley please.
You obviously no nothing of Kant whatsoever, and you are making things up.
Apparently you are worse.
You claimed that you know a lot about Kant and yet did not fully understand Kant's central view of metaphysics which was the back bone of his critique.
You claimed that Kant wanted to banish metaphysics altogether.
When i pointed to you otherwise, you gave all sort of excuses.

Your limitation is that you are over analytical by focussing
too much on the crude parts and thus failed to understand the whole.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 04:00 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;142922 wrote:
It's impossible to answer what an object is like independent of my perception of it--as Berkeley correctly affirms. But this impossibility does not entail that the existence of the object depends on my perception of it. This inference is exactly Berkeley's logical fallacy.

It either exists or doesn't.

I think this last claim is contestable - but I will have to do a fair amount of work to show why.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:32 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;145503 wrote:
I think this last claim is contestable - but I will have to do a fair amount of work to show why.

That means you would have to show either that: 1. Something can both exist and not exist, or 2. There is something that neither exists, nor does not exist.

Either would be a tall order. Which have you in mind?

jeeprs

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:55 am
@kennethamy,
Well I do admit it is a tall order. It is kind of a 'notice of motion'. You will notice that your statement of the question is actually rather similar to the laws of Aristotlean logic. I think these laws, to all intents and purposes, are true nearly all the time. But there are also circumstances in which they can be questioned. I don't know if 'existence' does have an absolute value. When we say 'something (real) exists', I know that from a practical perspective, it is quite true. But you can analyze any existing thing in terms of its constituent parts, and in terms of it persistence through time. When you start to do that, you find that its existence is not nearly so concrete as might appear. It is always composed of parts, and is actually changing all the time, even though it appears consistent to us. Look at it for long enough, and it will change or break up. Now in practical terms, this rarely matters. I come home at nights and hang my keys on the key hook. I know that in the morning when I get up, they'll be there. So I am not talking about common-sense notions of existence. But when it comes to metaphysical analysis, the question is not so definite. We are after all trying to consider things at the most basic level of reality.

Anyway, I am not really ready to go through all the details yet. I will say, though, that this whole thread, and all the questions in it, have really got me thinking, and I will be doing a lot more reading about it.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:03 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;145543 wrote:
Well I do admit it is a tall order. It is kind of a 'notice of motion'. You will notice that your statement of the question is actually rather similar to the laws of Aristotlean logic. I think these laws, to all intents and purposes, are true nearly all the time. But there are also circumstances in which they can be questioned. I don't know if 'existence' does have an absolute value. When we say 'something (real) exists', I know that from a practical perspective, it is quite true. But you can analyze any existing thing in terms of its constituent parts, and in terms of it persistence through time. When you start to do that, you find that its existence is not nearly so concrete as might appear. It is always composed of parts, and is actually changing all the time, even though it appears consistent to us. Look at it for long enough, and it will change or break up. Now in practical terms, this rarely matters. I come home at nights and hang my keys on the key hook. I know that in the morning when I get up, they'll be there. So I am not talking about common-sense notions of existence. But when it comes to metaphysical analysis, the question is not so definite. We are after all trying to consider things at the most basic level of reality.

Anyway, I am not really ready to go through all the details yet. I will say, though, that this whole thread, and all the questions in it, have really got me thinking, and I will be doing a lot more reading about it.

I think this last claim is contestable

Unless you would contest the claim that either something exists or it does not exist in the two ways I indicated, then what would you mean when you wrote that the claim was contestable? How would it be contestable except in one of those two ways? How otherwise could you contest it? After all, to say that it is false that something either exists or it doesn't is no more than to say that at least and at most one of the ways of I indicated of contesting that statement is true.

ACB

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:24 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;145546 wrote:
Unless you would contest the claim that either something exists or it does not exist in the two ways I indicated, then what would you mean when you wrote that the claim was contestable? How would it be contestable except in one of those two ways? How otherwise could you contest it? After all, to say that it is false that something either exists or it doesn't is no more than to say that at least and at most one of the ways of I indicated of contesting that statement is true.

Something can exist at one time and not exist at another. That is to say, it can be the case that at one time there is X and at another time there is not X. Of course, "something can both exist and not exist at the same time" is necessarily false.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:29 am
@ACB,
ACB;145553 wrote:
Something can exist at one time and not exist at another. That is to say, it can be the case that at one time there is X and at another time there is not X. Of course, "something can both exist and not exist at the same time" is necessarily false.

Yes, it is........ And that something exists or does not exist is necessarily true.

Extrain

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 09:34 am
@Humanity,
Humanity;145462 wrote:
Apparently you are worse.
You claimed that you know a lot about Kant and yet did not fully understand Kant's central view of metaphysics which was the back bone of his critique. You claimed that Kant wanted to banish metaphysics altogether.
When i pointed to you otherwise, you gave all sort of excuses.

Your limitation is that you are over analytical by focussing
too much on the crude parts and thus failed to understand the whole.

Haha! You need to wake up from your retarded fantasy world. Here's an actual, genuine, real scholarly source defending what I said from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy itself:
Kant's Critique of Metaphysics (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

"How are synthetic a priori propositions possible? This question is often times understood to frame the investigations at issue in Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. In answer to it, Kant saw fit to divide the question into three: 1) How are the synthetic a priori propositions of mathematics possible? 2) How are the synthetic a priori propositions of natural science possible? Finally, 3) How are the synthetic a priori propositions of metaphysics possible? In systematic fashion, Kant responds to each of these questions. The answer to question one is broadly found in the Transcendental Aesthetic, and the doctrine of the transcendental ideality of space and time. The answer to question two is found in the Transcendental Analytic, where Kant seeks to demonstrate the essential role played by the categories in grounding the possibility of knowledge and experience. The answer to question three is found in the Transcendental Dialectic, and it is a resoundingly blunt conclusion: the synthetic a priori propositions that characterize metaphysics are not really possible at all. Metaphysics, that is, is inherently dialectical. Kant's Critique of Pure Reason is thus as well known for what it rejects as for what it defends. Thus, in the Dialectic, Kant turns his attention to the central disciplines of traditional, rationalist, metaphysics - rational psychology, rational cosmology, and rational theology. Kant aims to reveal the errors that plague each of these fields.'

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:47:11