Did Samuel Johnson misunderstand George Berkeley?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:31 am
@amist,
amist;134085 wrote:
Maybe he was just joking?

Why would you think that?

Pyrrho

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:52 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;134086 wrote:
But I can show you real, tangible objects as evidence that matter exists, and we have evidence that matter has existed before minds have. Science has repeatedly shown that things exist independent of our perceptions. Consider the argument in another thread is:

So, if Berkeley is saying the rock is a culmination of sensations, he's wrong. There's something there independent of our sensations. There's overwhelming evidence for this. I mean just the great intersubjectivity alone tells us something. If you reject something like this, then I suspect you could reject anything.

Your response shows that you do not understand. By "showing" me things, I will have sensations of various sorts. Berkeley does not deny that I have sensations of various kinds. And as for the intersubjectivity, Berkeley not only does not deny that, but asserts it. Your experiences are similar to other people's experiences, which, according to Berkeley, are arranged that way by God.

To make this easier to understand, imagine yourself as a brain in a vat. (If you are unfamiliar with the idea, please click on the link and read the short article.) How would you prove that that is false? The same kind of thing will be needed to prove that idealism (Berkelian or other) is false, if, indeed, it can be proven false. Anyone who kicked a stone and said, this proves I am not a brain in a vat, would be someone who either did not understand the scenario, or was being disingenuous. Kicking a rock is as irrelevant as the current price of eggs in China.

And in a like manner, saying that there is "really" matter in back of the sensations, is equally going beyond experience as being an idealist.

Please remember, I am not saying that Berkeley is right, and that is not the topic of this thread. I am not even arguing that metaphysics of any kind is sensible or intelligible. The question is:

Quote:
The famous story (in Boswell's Life of Johnson) that Samuel Johnson kicked a rock (or was it a stone?) and cried out, "Thus I refute Berkeley". Berkeley, of course, denied that there were any material objects. It is often said (with some condescension) that all this showed was that Johnson misunderstood Berkeley, and that what Johnson did was not a refutation of Berkeley's view. My question is whether this criticism of Johnson is correct. Why didn't Johnson refute Berkeley by kicking the stone or rock?

Broken down:

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
The famous story (in Boswell's Life of Johnson) that Samuel Johnson kicked a rock (or was it a stone?) and cried out, "Thus I refute Berkeley". Berkeley, of course, denied that there were any material objects. It is often said (with some condescension) that all this showed was that Johnson misunderstood Berkeley, and that what Johnson did was not a refutation of Berkeley's view. My question is whether this criticism of Johnson is correct.

Yes.

Quote:

Why didn't Johnson refute Berkeley by kicking the stone or rock?

I have answered that in multiple posts above, as well as in this one above.

amist

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;134087 wrote:
Why would you think that?

It smacks of tongue in cheek, even if you're interpreting it as being a serious challenge to Berkeley you have to admit there is at least some element of jest. With the whole kicking the pebble thing. I'm not certain that anyone takes G.E. Moore's proof for an external world seriously, it's understood that he's being sarcastic. That's just how it sounds to me anyways. Anyone who has actually read the first page of Berkeley knows that this isn't anywhere near serious challenge to his position.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:56 am
@kennethamy,
Pyrrho wrote:

Your response shows that you do not understand.

But I do understand. I know what solipsism is. And I know of the brain in the vat.

So, anyway, back to the argument I posted originating from kennethamy... (the one you ignored)

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:01 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;134098 wrote:

And in a like manner, saying that there is "really" matter in back of the sensations, is equally going beyond experience as being an idealist.

Let's suppose you are right about that. So what? Saying that world is really round goes beyond the belief of the flat-earthers that the world is flat. Of course the view that there is matter which causes our sensations is not what Berkeley thinks is true. That is why, if correct, it would refute Berkeley.

---------- Post added 03-01-2010 at 11:05 AM ----------

amist;134100 wrote:
It smacks of tongue in cheek, even if you're interpreting it as being a serious challenge to Berkeley you have to admit there is at least some element of jest. With the whole kicking the pebble thing. I'm not certain that anyone takes G.E. Moore's proof for an external world seriously, it's understood that he's being sarcastic. That's just how it sounds to me anyways. Anyone who has actually read the first page of Berkeley knows that this isn't anywhere near serious challenge to his position.

Why on earth do you think Moore was being sarcastic? No one I have ever read or heard of thought that so far as I know. I don't think that Moore was every joking or sarcastic, or meant other than he wrote. The first page? I'll have to look that up.

Pyrrho

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:15 am
@kennethamy,
Pyrrho;134098 wrote:

kennethamy;134107 wrote:
Let's suppose you are right about that. So what? Saying that world is really round goes beyond the belief of the flat-earthers that the world is flat.

That is a very different claim. "Going beyond someone's beliefs" and "going beyond experience" are two different ideas. And in the case of the flat-earthers, the dispute is not about metaphysics, but about the shape of a particular object.

kennethamy;134107 wrote:
Of course the view that there is matter which causes our sensations is not what Berkeley thinks is true. That is why, if correct, it would refute Berkeley.

No. If it were correct that there is matter which causes our sensations, that would make Berkeley wrong. But being wrong and being proven wrong are two different things.

Do you imagine that Johnson doing what he believes is kicking a stone proves that we are not brains in vats? If so, please explain how that would be. And if not, then you should be able to see how it likewise proves nothing regarding the dispute between idealists and materialists.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:21 am
@kennethamy,
Pyrrho wrote:

Do you imagine that Johnson doing what he believes is kicking a stone proves that we are not brains in vats?

Do you believe that science has to the capacity to prove that an external world exists? Yes, or no?

amist

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:40 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:
The first page? I'll have to look that up.

I was exaggerating but you don't have to get too far into the Principles of Human Knowledge until you realize why this would be a horribly weak refutation.

Quote:
No one I have ever read or heard of thought that so far as I know. I don't think that Moore was every joking or sarcastic, or meant other than he wrote

That's funny, everyone I know believes he was being sarcastic because his proof for an external world presupposes an external world. I haven't read him at length though so I can't say for certain.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:47 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;134112 wrote:
That is a very different claim. "Going beyond someone's beliefs" and "going beyond experience" are two different ideas. And in the case of the flat-earthers, the dispute is not about metaphysics, but about the shape of a particular object.

No. If it were correct that there is matter which causes our sensations, that would make Berkeley wrong. But being wrong and being proven wrong are two different things.

Do you imagine that Johnson doing what he believes is kicking a stone proves that we are not brains in vats? If so, please explain how that would be. And if not, then you should be able to see how it likewise proves nothing regarding the dispute between idealists and materialists.

But my point was that if it is true that the proposition that there is matter does go beyond our sensations, it doesn't follow that by kicking the stone Johnson has not refuted Berkeley. Just because Berkeley hold that we can know only what we can immediately sense, and rejects inferential knowledge, why should we go along with him on that? Why cannot we infer (as on some accounts we do) or postulate, that there is something that explains those sensations? That Berkeley refuses to countenance such an inference (which he does) or does not recognize the value of positing what we do not directy observe (which he does) does not show that we have either misunderstood or not refuted Berkeley. It is simply to suppose that Berkeley is right, or that we are confined to Berkeley's assumptions and cannot dispute them. But why should we do that?

The BIV is the same kind of thing, but needs to be treated somewhat differently.

Can it be that whenever we say something contrary to Berkeley's assumptions that we are misinterpreting him? Can we criticize him only internally and not externally? Is that the kind of hermeneutic approach to criticism you hold? I didn't think you did. That is the sort of thing the postmoderns think.

Of course, this is a fundamental issue of criticism.

MMP2506

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 11:10 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;134102 wrote:
But I do understand. I know what solipsism is. And I know of the brain in the vat.

So, anyway, back to the argument I posted originating from kennethamy... (the one you ignored)

You know what you believe solipsism to be based on your notions of the mind and reality. The problem lies in the fact that idealists have a much different definition of mind and reality than people working through the materialist scope of modern science.

"Science" as it exists today is a very young movement, and idealism is an attempt to capture Plato's rationalism. So if you are unable to understand Plato, then you are unable to understand idealism.

---------- Post added 03-01-2010 at 11:12 AM ----------

Zetherin;134114 wrote:
Do you believe that science has to the capacity to prove that an external world exists? Yes, or no?

Not without the existence of an interior consciousness.

In which case they are dependent upon each other.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 11:17 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;134126 wrote:
You know what you believe solipsism to be based on your notions of the mind and reality. The problem lies in the fact that idealists have a much different definition of mind and reality than people working through the materialist scope of modern science.

"Science" as it exists today is a very young movement, and idealism is an attempt to capture Plato's rationalism. So if you are unable to understand Plato, then you are unable to understand idealism.

---------- Post added 03-01-2010 at 11:12 AM ----------

Not without there first existing an interior consciousness.

In which case they are dependent upon each other.

I don't think that Rationalism and Idealism have much to do with one another.
Plato was an Idealist, but not an Idealist in the sense that Berkeley was. Plato would have been called an objective idealist in the 19th and 20th centuries. Berkeley was a subjective idealist. Plato did not believe that the world was mental. And, his Ideas (Forms) were not mental objects.

Pyrrho

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 11:23 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;134125 wrote:
But my point was that if it is true that the proposition that there is matter does go beyond our sensations, it doesn't follow that by kicking the stone Johnson has not refuted Berkeley. Just because Berkeley hold that we can know only what we can immediately sense, and rejects inferential knowledge, why should we go along with him on that?

Berkeley says no such thing (that we cannot make inferences), and makes many inferences himself. He does, however, object to making inferences from the kind of thing that is immediately sensed, to something that is wholly different from and beyond experience, though he does not keep to that as well as one might expect, or he would probably have ended up a solipsist. (In this way he was like so many other philosophers, who claim that one cannot do something, and then end up trying to do it anyway. I am reminded of noumena...)

kennethamy;134125 wrote:
Why cannot we infer (as on some accounts we do) or postulate, that there is something that explains those sensations?

Berkeley does that himself, and you complain about his answers. (Berkeley says, as you well know, that God causes our sensations to fit with each others' sensations. So Berkeley is going beyond sensations, and making inferences that supposedly explain our sensations.)

kennethamy;134125 wrote:
That Berkeley refuses to countenance such an inference (which he does) or does not recognize the value of positing what we do not directy observe (which he does) does not show that we have either misunderstood or not refuted Berkeley. It is simply to suppose that Berkeley is right, or that we are confined to Berkeley's assumptions and cannot dispute them. But why should we do that?

No, one need not only criticize him internally, though one might do that as well. One may complain that he is going beyond experience in his assertions about God and so forth. One might have a separate proof of materialism, or dualism, or some other -ism. But someone kicking a stone isn't proof or disproof of any of these things. Someone doing what is called "kicking a stone" is compatible with all of them, and therefore cannot be proof of any of them, or disproof of any of them. And because this is perfectly obvious, it seems exceedingly likely that anyone who would make such a mistake must misunderstand the positions about which they are arguing.

kennethamy;134125 wrote:
The BIV is the same kind of thing, but needs to be treated somewhat differently.

What needs to be different?

kennethamy;134125 wrote:
Can it be that whenever we say something contrary to Berkeley's assumptions that we are misinterpreting him?

Obviously not. But merely asserting that his assumptions are false is not disproving him; it is merely disagreeing with him. I will grant you that Johnson disagreed with Berkeley, but that is not at all the same as disproving Berkeley. I suppose it may be that Johnson understood Berkeley, but did not understand the difference between disagreeing with someone and disproving them, but that seems unlikely.

kennethamy;134125 wrote:
Can we criticize him only internally and not externally? Is that the kind of hermeneutic approach to criticism you hold? I didn't think you did. That is the sort of thing the postmoderns think.

Of course, this is a fundamental issue of criticism.

See above, or read the repeat here:

No, one need not only criticize him internally, though one might do that as well. One may complain that he is going beyond experience in his assertions about God and so forth. One might have a separate proof of materialism, or dualism, or some other -ism. But someone kicking a stone isn't proof or disproof of any of these things. Someone doing what is called "kicking a stone" is compatible with all of them, and therefore cannot be proof of any of them, or disproof of any of them. And because this is perfectly obvious, it seems exceedingly likely that anyone who would make such a mistake must misunderstand the positions about which they are arguing.

MMP2506

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 11:28 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;134128 wrote:
I don't think that Rationalism and Idealism have much to do with one another.
Plato was an Idealist, but not an Idealist in the sense that Berkeley was. Plato would have been called an objective idealist in the 19th and 20th centuries. Berkeley was a subjective idealist. Plato did not believe that the world was mental. And, his Ideas (Forms) were not mental objects.

Berkeley acknowledged objectivity existing in God. Plato acknowledged that only the Forms are objective. Plato's Forms were the essence of the "One"/God in neo-Platonism.

There are many senses of the same thing, but that doesn't mean they are all unconnected. Idealism arose out of the dichotomy between mind and body that started with Cartesian Dualism. Idealist tended to side with the mind/interior side of the dichotomy, and empiricists sided with the body/exterior side.

Plato wasn't an idealist, because for Plato there was no mind/body distinction. Berkeley, however, could be considered a rationalist, in some sense of the word.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:28 pm
@kennethamy,
Berkeley is always considered an empiricist because he believes that all knowledge comes by experience, even though he is also a 'material idealist'.

Pyrrho

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;131371 wrote:
The famous story (in Boswell's Life of Johnson) that Samuel Johnson kicked a rock (or was it a stone?) and cried out, "Thus I refute Berkeley". Berkeley, of course, denied that there were any material objects. It is often said (with some condescension) that all this showed was that Johnson misunderstood Berkeley, and that what Johnson did was not a refutation of Berkeley's view. My question is whether this criticism of Johnson is correct. Why didn't Johnson refute Berkeley by kicking the stone or rock?

It has occurred to me that although you seem disinclined to go along with me, there is someone else with whom you may be more inclined to agree. David Stove wrote:

Quote:
Whatever is wrong with philosophers' thoughts, it is, at any rate, not ordinary falsity, or ignorance of empirical truths. Quine argued, with enough plausibility to satisfy some unexacting folk, that philosophy is continuous with empirical science;8 and Popper once tried to show that philosophical problems regularly have `their roots in science'.9 Such a belief can make for better philosophy, (as I remarked in Essay 4 above). The only trouble with it is, it is not true. You need only try it out in particular cases, rather than in general terms, in order to see this. Take any paradigm philosopher: Parmenides, say, or Plato, or Aquinas, or Berkeley, or Meinong. That the thoughts for which they are so famous had gone enormously wrong, is not in dispute. But was their trouble that they were ignorant of, or that they denied, some empirical facts or other, of which we are apprised? To ask this question is to answer it. Or take British idealism of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Did the idealism of Bosanquet and Bradley depend on ignorance of, or require denial of, anything in Lyell's geology, say, or in Darwin's biology, or in Einstein's physics? Only someone very ignorant of their philosophy could suppose that it did.

Stove, What Is Wrong With Our Thoughts

kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 03:00 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;136288 wrote:
Berkeley is always considered an empiricist because he believes that all knowledge comes by experience, even though he is also a 'material idealist'.

Yes, idealism is a metaphysical theory, but empiricism is an epistemological theory. There is no conflict between them. So, there is no, "even though". It is only that some people confuse empiricism with materialism. Perhaps because many empiricists are materialists too. But there is no necessary connection between them.

---------- Post added 03-05-2010 at 04:02 PM ----------

Pyrrho;136599 wrote:
It has occurred to me that although you seem disinclined to go along with me, there is someone else with whom you may be more inclined to agree. David Stove wrote:

Stove, What Is Wrong With Our Thoughts

Oh yes. I agree with Stove about nearly everything. I have posted that link several times. Just about a week ago I did it again.

Pyrrho

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 03:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;136606 wrote:
Oh yes. I agree with Stove about nearly everything. I have posted that link several times. Just about a week ago I did it again.

And do you now agree that Johnson did not understand Berkeley, as his "proof" that Berkeley is wrong is irrelevant to what Berkeley stated, which is obvious? To quote Stove, "But was their trouble that they [Berkeley et al.] were ignorant of, or that they denied, some empirical facts or other, of which we are apprised? To ask this question is to answer it." And we may apply what he says of later idealism to Berkeley: "Or take British idealism of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Did the idealism of Bosanquet and Bradley depend on ignorance of, or require denial of, anything in Lyell's geology, say, or in Darwin's biology, or in Einstein's physics? Only someone very ignorant of their philosophy could suppose that it did." Although I do not deny that there is something wrong with Berkeley's thoughts, I think that Johnson failed miserably at identifying what was wrong with Berkeley's thoughts.

And yes, I am aware of you providing the link, which I got from reading your posts (though I have read the entire book previously). Thank you for the link.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 03:25 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;136611 wrote:
And do you now agree that Johnson did not understand Berkeley, as his "proof" that Berkeley is wrong is irrelevant to what Berkeley stated, which is obvious? To quote Stove, "But was their trouble that they [Berkeley et al.] were ignorant of, or that they denied, some empirical facts or other, of which we are apprised? To ask this question is to answer it." And we may apply what he says of later idealism to Berkeley: "Or take British idealism of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Did the idealism of Bosanquet and Bradley depend on ignorance of, or require denial of, anything in Lyell's geology, say, or in Darwin's biology, or in Einstein's physics? Only someone very ignorant of their philosophy could suppose that it did." Although I do not deny that there is something wrong with Berkeley's thoughts, I think that Johnson failed miserably at identifying what was wrong with Berkeley's thoughts.

And yes, I am aware of you providing the link, which I got from reading your posts (though I have read the entire book previously). Thank you for the link.

I really don't see that what Stove says here implies that Johnson did not understand Berkeley, and was not rebutting him. Berkeley's theory implied that Johnson kicked his own sensations and not a stone. I don't know what kind of non-fact (factoid) that is. Some, I guess, would call not call it an empirical factoid but, rather, just a factoid. A fact need only be a truth. It need not be an empirical truth, but a conceptual truth. (Stove called himself a neo-positivist. If that means he was a verificationist in the old style, I disagree with him about that).

Humanity

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 12:38 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;131371 wrote:
Samuel Johnson totally misunderstood Berkeley. Berkeley was a very great thinker relative to his time.
Regretably, like Einstein and Newton, he had to resort to God to fill the final gap of knowledge.

Johnson lacked depth in his thinking as demonstrated in the following;

1. Kindergarten - Common sense perpective.
Berkeley agreed and accepted the reality of the external world from the common sense (vulgar) perspective.
If Berkeley kicked a stone, he would empirically verified that the stone exist. If he felt any pain, he would avoid kicking the stone in future.
In this perspective, Berkeley would agreed that a stone is material, and he would have agreed that the stone exists in an external reality of common sense.

2. Grade 8 - Thinking Philosophically
But Berkeley did tell us he wanted to explore more deeply beyond common sense as he noted our common sense is not very reliable.
Berkeley noted (with a lot of thinking) that objects/things/matter that actualized to our awareness are always associated with the person.
As such, he concluded that an unthought-matter is an impossibility.
To Berkeley 'thought' is not merely thinking about something but as something that entail a complicated process involving the mind, consciousness and the universe.
It is akin to an emergent out of the inter-dependent interaction of the human and its environment.

I think Johnson was not able to progress to Grade 8 in line with Berkeley's progress.
There is no way Johnson could comprehend Berkeley's view as he was stucked in the Kindergarten stage.

Berkeley's argument on 'unthought-matter is impossible' was good enough to stand alone by itself.
However the ignorant (like Johnson and Stove) must have been frightened off when Berkeley capped that with God as the driver of unthought-matter.

3. Graduate - Person interdependent Reality
Kant workded on this level, he chopped off Berkeley's godhead and postulated that reality and the external world has to do with something pre-existing and a priori the person.

If Johnson could progressed and shifted perspective from the common sense view of reality to a higher perspective of reality, he would be able to understand Berkeley, accept his 'unthought-matter is impossible' and maybe, reject the god element.
Johson is like a person in the world of 2D not being able to understand the world of 3D.

Humanity evolved with a diverse range of intelligence (Howard Gardner). Those who are born with extremely high logical and mathematical intelligence would not be able to comprehend artistic knowledge fully and vice-versa.

Similarly, there are those who simply cannot comprehend beyond common sense into the perspective of QM, and other observer interdependent reality.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 04:19 am
@Humanity,
Very good analysis.

Humanity;136805 wrote:
Regretably, like Einstein and Newton, he had to resort to God to fill the final gap of knowledge. .

and the alternative is.....

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 06:18:25