Did Samuel Johnson misunderstand George Berkeley?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jeeprs

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:53 pm
@kennethamy,
Also I will add that I don't think Berkeley's argument is entirely correct, but neither do I think there is nothing in it. If nothing else, it draws attention to the idea that reality is grounded in human perception and the experience of reality. Berkeley is not the only philosopher to have said this, and his depiction of it may be mistaken in some respects. But I don't think he is simply wrong about it - I don't think the question is that simple.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 05:55 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;131593 wrote:
You posed a did-question; Did Samuel Johnson misunderstand George Berkeley? As did-questions are of the yes/no variety, your question presupposes that exactly one of the following assertions is true:
1) yes, Johnson did misunderstand Berkeley
2) no, Johnson did not misunderstand Berkeley.
On the face of it, I see no reason to doubt that exactly one of these assertions is true. So, your question appears to me to be legitimate, and I'm not convinced that it's difficult. What do you think that the difficulty consists of?

I suppose answering it. What else?

---------- Post added 02-23-2010 at 07:01 PM ----------

jeeprs;131591 The reason I say Berkeley's criticism was incorrect is in accord with what Pyrrho says in his first post about the topic. I don't want to repeat that here. Do you have any criticism of my contention that 'cognitive constructs are not objects of perception', and whether this has any bearing on understanding Berkeley and idealism generally?[/QUOTE wrote:

I did not know that was why you thought B's criticism was incorrect, since you did not say why. I have not yet replied to Pyrrho post, but I will. I think Pyrrho is mistaken, but he is the only one to reply to the OP relevantly.

No, I have nothing to say about cognitive constructs. I am not even sure what those are.

ughaibu

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;131596 wrote:
ughaibu;131593 wrote:
So, your question appears to me to be legitimate, and I'm not convinced that it's difficult. What do you think that the difficulty consists of?
I suppose answering it. What else?
Okay, a question is difficult if deciding which assertion correctly answers that question, is difficult. What is it about this question that you think qualifies it as a question to which the correct answer is difficult to decide?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:06 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;131599 wrote:
Okay, a question is difficult if deciding which assertion correctly answers that question, is difficult. What is it about this question that you think qualifies it as a question to which the correct answer is difficult to decide?

Sorry, I don't want to be drawn into such a futile and silly discussion. If you like, you can read my forthcoming reply to Pyrrho (which I have not posted yet).

ughaibu

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:11 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;131600 wrote:
Sorry, I don't want to be drawn into such a futile and silly discussion.
Erotetics can hardly be dismissed as futile or silly. If your question is "too difficult", as you contend, then that difficulty is worth analysing. Should it turn out to be the case that there is an insurmountable difficulty, for example; insufficient information, then one can profitably reject the question.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 06:50 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;131602 wrote:
Erotetics can hardly be dismissed as futile or silly. If your question is "too difficult", as you contend, then that difficulty is worth analysing. Should it turn out to be the case that there is an insurmountable difficulty, for example; insufficient information, then one can profitably reject the question.

Worth analyzing, maybe (although I don't think so). But not on this thread.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:15 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;131419 wrote:
Johnson did not thusly refute Berkeley because Berkeley never said that one would not have various feelings and sensations. The sensation we call "kicking a rock" is not inconsistent with Berkeley's position, and thus does not refute Berkeley.

What B. said was that those sensations Johnson had when he kicked the rock constitute the rock that Johnson kicked. (Not only, of course, that Johnson has sensations when he kicked the rock. Johnson did not deny that). So, the question is whether when Johnson kicked the rock he was kicking his (Johnson's) own sensations. What Johnson was trying to do was demonstrate that what he kicked when he kicked the rock, was not a compilation of his own sensations, but rather, that he was kicking something which caused the sensations he had. Something, by the way, we all believe is true. And, if my description of what Johnson was doing is correct, then I don't see how he was misinterpreting Berkeley. Of course, there is a different question. Was Johnson refuting Berkeley, as Johnson claimed he was. I think so, but that, of course, is a very different question from the question whether he was misinterpreting Berkeley, and should not be confused with it. (Of course, whether what Johnson did was inconsistent with Berkeley's position is the issue of whether he refuted Berkeley, not whether he misinterpreted him).

Sorry it took such a long time for me to post this reply.

P.S. I have been using the term "misinterpret" rather than "misunderstand". I did not mean to do that. But I don't think that it makes any significant different here.

Pyrrho

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 10:33 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133524 wrote:
What B. said was that those sensations Johnson had when he kicked the rock constitute the rock that Johnson kicked. (Not only, of course, that Johnson has sensations when he kicked the rock. Johnson did not deny that). So, the question is whether when Johnson kicked the rock he was kicking his (Johnson's) own sensations. What Johnson was trying to do was demonstrate that what he kicked when he kicked the rock, was not a compilation of his own sensations, but rather, that he was kicking something which caused the sensations he had. Something, by the way, we all believe is true. And, if my description of what Johnson was doing is correct, then I don't see how he was misinterpreting Berkeley. Of course, there is a different question. Was Johnson refuting Berkeley, as Johnson claimed he was. I think so, but that, of course, is a very different question from the question whether he was misinterpreting Berkeley, and should not be confused with it. (Of course, whether what Johnson did was inconsistent with Berkeley's position is the issue of whether he refuted Berkeley, not whether he misinterpreted him).

P.S. I have been using the term "misinterpret" rather than "misunderstand". I did not mean to do that. But I don't think that it makes any significant different here.

None of the things that Johnson demonstrated when he kicked the rock conflict in any way with what Berkeley said. And since Johnson seems to have thought otherwise, that is prima facie evidence that he misunderstood Berkeley.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 10:47 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;133567 wrote:
None of the things that Johnson demonstrated when he kicked the rock conflict in any way with what Berkeley said. And since Johnson seems to have thought otherwise, that is prima facie evidence that he misunderstood Berkeley.

Your first point concerns whether Johnson refuted Berkeley. See the thread, Did Johnson refute Berkeley? I just posted.

Your second point seems to argue that it follows from the premise, Johnson did not refute Berkeley, although he thought otherwise, it follows he misunderstood Berkeley. That seems to me a non-sequitur.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133524 wrote:
So, the question is whether when Johnson kicked the rock he was kicking his (Johnson's) own sensations.

Not at all - I think you should say that 'when he kicked the rock he had the tactile sensation of his boot striking an object, and the visual and aural sensations of the object moving'. The argument is not saying 'we see sensations' or that 'the sensation is the object of perception'. It is saying that the act of perception and interaction with an object comprises sensations which create the experience of the object. And I think there is a certain sense in which this is indubitable. But what it means is the important question.

Pyrrho

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:00 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;133570 wrote:
Your first point concerns whether Johnson refuted Berkeley. See the thread, Did Johnson refute Berkeley? I just posted.

Your second point seems to argue that it follows from the premise, Johnson did not refute Berkeley, although he thought otherwise, it follows he misunderstood Berkeley. That seems to me a non-sequitur.

The post to which you seem to be referring:

kennethamy;133524 wrote:
What B. said was that those sensations Johnson had when he kicked the rock constitute the rock that Johnson kicked. (Not only, of course, that Johnson has sensations when he kicked the rock. Johnson did not deny that). So, the question is whether when Johnson kicked the rock he was kicking his (Johnson's) own sensations.

That is not properly stated. He is not kicking sensations; his kicking is his sensations, and possibly involves the sensations of others (according to Berkeley). The question is, is there anything beyond the sensations that Johnson had (as well as the sensations of others), or would be if we were trying to answer the question of whether Berkeley was right or not. In this case, Johnson sees and feels (and possibly hears or senses with one of the other senses). But Johnson, if he had understood Berkeley, would realize that all that he sees and feels fits in perfectly with what Berkeley claimed. So how can it be that he would realize that he proved nothing, and yet thought that he had disproved Berkeley? Or are you saying that Johnson was being disingenuous, and he knew that he was speaking drivel, but pretended to refute Berkeley anyway?

kennethamy;133524 wrote:
What Johnson was trying to do was demonstrate that what he kicked when he kicked the rock, was not a compilation of his own sensations, but rather, that he was kicking something which caused the sensations he had.

Yes, it appears that that is what he was trying to do, but he failed miserably, as nothing he showed in any way conflicts with what Berkeley said. And his complete and utter failure shows that either he did not understand Berkeley, or he was disingenuous, in claiming to refute by a method that he would know absolutely could not refute Berkeley. If he had understood Berkeley, he would have known that no brute sensation could possibly refute Berkeley. His attempt at disproving Berkeley appears to demonstrate that he did not understand that fact.

kennethamy;133524 wrote:
Something, by the way, we all believe is true.

In other words, rather than actually prove anything, he just needs to appeal to the common belief, and he is done. And that, it seems to me, is exactly what he did.

kennethamy;133524 wrote:
And, if my description of what Johnson was doing is correct, then I don't see how he was misinterpreting Berkeley. Of course, there is a different question. Was Johnson refuting Berkeley, as Johnson claimed he was. I think so, but that, of course, is a very different question from the question whether he was misinterpreting Berkeley, and should not be confused with it. (Of course, whether what Johnson did was inconsistent with Berkeley's position is the issue of whether he refuted Berkeley, not whether he misinterpreted him).

With Johnson, he appears to be so wedded to the idea that there is a physical rock, that he seems unable to conceive of having the relevant sensations without there being a rock. And if that is so, then he cannot understand Berkeley. (Or Descartes' doubts, for that matter.)

With Berkeley, he does not deny any of the usual phenomena. All that he is denying is the stuff that goes beyond experience that many people believe to be the foundation of that phenomena. To use Kantian terminology, his description of the noumena is different from the materialist, but his description of the phenomena is identical. Thus, one would need something beyond normal experience (i.e., a discussion of metaphysics) to disprove him, not some scientific experiment with a rock.

Or, if you prefer, we may say that Berkeley's description has all of the same appearances as the materialist position, but is different only in describing the underlying reality.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:07 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;133621 wrote:
Not at all - I think you should say that 'when he kicked the rock he had the tactile sensation of his boot striking an object, and the visual and aural sensations of the object moving'. The argument is not saying 'we see sensations' or that 'the sensation is the object of perception'. It is saying that the act of perception and interaction with an object comprises sensations which create the experience of the object. And I think there is a certain sense in which this is indubitable. But what it means is the important question.

Berkeley holds that a rock is a collection of sensations. So, according to B. when the rock was kicked a collection of sensations was kicked. Of course, we don't say that kind of weird thing. As B. said, "We speak with the vulgar; but we think with the learned". Johnson was refuting the proposition that he kicked a collection of sensations (presumably, his own).

Once again, the philosopher (Berkeley) is supposed to be giving us startling news about the world. Everything is really a collection of sensations. But according to your post, he is saying what everyone believes anyway. And, in fact, B. keeps insisting that it is he who is the defender of commonsense, and the Realist who believes in weird things like objects that are not just collections of sensations. All of us believe that stones are collections of sensations, according to Berkeley. We just don't realize we believe it.

Of course, if he isn't saying that, then why is he telling us what he thinks we all know? News from nowhere.

---------- Post added 03-01-2010 at 09:36 AM ----------

The thing to understand about Berkeley is that he was a superb critic of the views and arguments of other philosophers (like Locke). In the history of philosophy there is no one better, or even, maybe as good, except for Hume. But, Berkeley's own arguments for his own philosophy were really awful, and his philosophy was absurd. And the latter is what Johnson pointed out by his famous kick. His own positive philosophy is valuable only because it is a good source of errors to correct and learn from.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:38 am
@kennethamy,
Pyrrho wrote:
Thus, one would need something beyond normal experience (i.e., a discussion of metaphysics) to disprove him, not some scientific experiment with a rock.

What sort of thing do you imagine could dispute him? His position seems almost unfalsifiable.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:47 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;134054 wrote:
What sort of thing do you imagine could dispute him? His position seems almost unfalsifiable.

Except, of course, Johnson falsified it. Of course, that a position can be defended by making enough assumptions does not mean that the position has not been falsified. It usually means that it has been changed into a different position The original position has been falsified, of course. It is easy to make enough assumptions (if you are ingenious enough) to save any position, however absurd it is. This maneuver is what Hume called, "a salvage operation".

Pyrrho

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;134039 wrote:
The thing to understand about Berkeley is that he was a superb critic of the views and arguments of other philosophers (like Locke). In the history of philosophy there is no one better, or even, maybe as good, except for Hume. ...

We agree on that much anyway. In Hume's case, he got much of his criticism of Locke from Berkeley, which Hume says himself. Hume was right about Berkeley: his best arguments were essentially destructive or skeptical. And those arguments were often quite good.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:04 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;134067 wrote:
We agree on that much anyway. In Hume's case, he got much of his criticism of Locke from Berkeley, which Hume says himself. Hume was right about Berkeley: his best arguments were essentially destructive or skeptical. And those arguments were often quite good.
And, the other arguments (the positive ones) were simply awful, as you might expect when they were in support of a ridiculous theory. Which Johnson shot down, in much the way G.E. Moore did in his, "Proof of an External World".

Pyrrho

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:10 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;134054 wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:
Thus, one would need something beyond normal experience (i.e., a discussion of metaphysics) to disprove him, not some scientific experiment with a rock.

As I told you before, no more so than the position that matter exists.

As for what would refute him, the type of argument required is mentioned in what you quote from me above: a discussion of metaphysics. When there are two positions, that both give you the exact same appearances, but give a different description of the underlying reality, it should be completely obvious that no argument about appearances will be relevant, and consequently no scientific experiment is going to settle the matter. It may be, of course, that since both are going beyond experience, you may want to say that they are both nonsensical. But if that makes it nonsensical, then the metaphysical position that is known as materialism is also nonsensical. And, indeed, metaphysics generally would be nonsensical, as it attempts to go beyond experience and describe the underlying reality.

And anyone who understood the above is going to know that kicking a rock is completely irrelevant to whether Berkeley is right, so Johnson either did not understand Berkeley, or he was being disingenuous (see post above).

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:14 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;134034 wrote:
The post to which you seem to be referring:

That is not properly stated. He is not kicking sensations; his kicking is his sensations, and possibly involves the sensations of others (according to Berkeley).

But that's even worse (if possible)! He could be kicking a rock, and have no sensations at all. Or do you have some provision for that too? If kicking the rock does not refute Berkeley, then what would? Again, "mounting a salvage expedition", does not show that there is nothing that needs salvaging.

amist

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:27 am
@kennethamy,
Maybe he was just joking?

Zetherin

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:29 am
@kennethamy,
Pyrrho wrote:

As for what would refute him, the type of argument required is mentioned in what you quote from me above: a discussion of metaphysics. When there are two positions, that both give you the exact same appearances, but give a different description of the underlying reality, it should be completely obvious that no argument about appearances will be relevant, and consequently no scientific experiment is going to settle the matter. It may be, of course, that since both are going beyond experience, you may want to say that they are both nonsensical. But if that makes it nonsensical, then the metaphysical position that is known as materialism is also nonsensical. And, indeed, metaphysics generally would be nonsensical, as it attempts to go beyond experience and describe the underlying reality.

But I can show you real, tangible objects as evidence that matter exists, and we have evidence that matter has existed before minds have. Science has repeatedly shown that things exist independent of our perceptions. Consider the argument in another thread is:

Quote:

1. If the Moon existed before people, then Idealism is false.
2. The Moon existed before people.
3. Therefore idealism is false

So, if Berkeley is saying the rock is a culmination of sensations, he's wrong. There's something there independent of our sensations. There's overwhelming evidence for this. I mean just the great intersubjectivity alone tells us something. If you reject something like this, then I suspect you could reject anything.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:23:12