Did Samuel Johnson misunderstand George Berkeley?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

ughaibu

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 04:23 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;136838 wrote:
and the alternative is.....
Accepting that there are limits on what human beings can know, understand, conceive, etc.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:34 am
@kennethamy,
but a theologian can answer 'indeed there are such limits, but fortunately God has chosen to reveal himself in Holy Scripture, which enables the knowledge of things which would otherwise not be known'. This is the meaning of the word 'revelation'. (I am not saying I believe it, but it is something that should be considered.)

I am also interested to know how Einstein is supposed to have 'resorted' to God. I know that Einstein was not an atheist, but to my knowledge, his statements about God had nothing whatever to do with his scientific work.

ughaibu

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:39 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;136844 wrote:
but a theologian can answer 'indeed there are such limits, but fortunately God has chosen to reveal himself in Holy Scripture, which enables the knowledge of things which would otherwise not be known'. This is the meaning of the word 'revelation'. (I am not saying I believe it, but it is something that should be considered.)
But isn't that a "resort to god"?

jeeprs

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:48 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;136845 wrote:
But isn't that a "resort to god"?

I said, in the post above, 'Humanity' said that Einstein and Newton 'resorted to God'. I am interested in what he (or she) meant by that remark. Let's see if s/he answers.

ughaibu

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:51 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;136846 wrote:
I said, in the post above, 'Humanity' said that Einstein and Newton 'resorted to God'. I am interested in what he (or she) meant by that remark. Let's see if s/he answers.
Okay. Plus eleven.

Humanity

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:15 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;136844 wrote:

I am also interested to know how Einstein is supposed to have 'resorted' to God. I know that Einstein was not an atheist, but to my knowledge, his statements about God had nothing whatever to do with his scientific work.
Note Einstein countered Bohr's QM, with the famous statement, "God do not play dice".
As theists, Newton and Einstein would had taken the stance that God created the universe and it is for scientists like them to discover the laws and principles that govern the universe.

---------- Post added 03-06-2010 at 10:29 AM ----------

jeeprs;136838 wrote:
Very good analysis.

A good alternative would be Kant who demonstrated that god do not exists as an objective reality and it is impossible to prove god's existence via the famous ontological, cosmological, and physio-theological proofs.

As extensions to Kant, to other supplemental alternatives are the various neurosciences, cognitive neurosciences, psychology and the likes.

In addition and as Ughaibu mentioned, we have to acknowledge and accept that there are limits on what human beings can know, understand, conceive, etc.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:56 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;136838 wrote:
Very good analysis.

The "analysis" just assumes that Johnson misunderstood Berkley, but it does not give any reasons for saying he did not. The "analysis" simply speculates on what Johnson's motives were for believing he he understood Berkeley. Therefore however good the analysis was, it was completely irrelevant to the OP question, which to remind you was whether Johnson did misunderstand Berkeley.
Pyrrho was the only one who attempted to answer that question (or the only question asked) but I think he is mistaken.

Pyrrho

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 03:30 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;136617 wrote:
I really don't see that what Stove says here implies that Johnson did not understand Berkeley, and was not rebutting him. Berkeley's theory implied that Johnson kicked his own sensations and not a stone. I don't know what kind of non-fact (factoid) that is. Some, I guess, would call not call it an empirical factoid but, rather, just a factoid. A fact need only be a truth. It need not be an empirical truth, but a conceptual truth. (Stove called himself a neo-positivist. If that means he was a verificationist in the old style, I disagree with him about that).

What Stove says is that Berkeley and others like him did not fail to notice the normal empirical things that pretty much everyone notices. What Johnson did was just something that is the ordinary sort of thing that Berkeley knew about. So what Johnson did was fail to get at what is wrong with what Berkeley was saying, because what Berkeley was saying was not incompatible with Johnson's behavior. Please reread the paragraph from Stove carefully, that I quoted above.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:00 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;133567 wrote:
None of the things that Johnson demonstrated when he kicked the rock conflict in any way with what Berkeley said. And since Johnson seems to have thought otherwise, that is prima facie evidence that he misunderstood Berkeley.

I agree. Kicking the rock meant nothing. It just suggested that Johnson didn't care much for philosophy.

---------- Post added 03-06-2010 at 06:01 PM ----------

Humanity;136862 wrote:

In addition and as Ughaibu mentioned, we have to acknowledge and accept that there are limits on what human beings can know, understand, conceive, etc.

Kant's noumena is problematic. Here's Witt:
Quote:

Thus the aim of the book is to draw a limit to thought, or rather--not
to thought, but to the expression of thoughts: for in order to be able
to draw a limit to thought, we should have to find both sides of the
limit thinkable (i.e. we should have to be able to think what cannot be
thought).

jeeprs

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:05 pm
@kennethamy,
I think there are many people, Johnson included, who just don't get Berkeley's argument at all. It is a matter of perspective which requires a gestalt shift. But then, if you don't understand Berkeley, it is unlikely that the term 'gestalt shift' will mean much, either.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 05:27 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;136949 wrote:
What Stove says is that Berkeley and others like him did not fail to notice the normal empirical things that pretty much everyone notices. What Johnson did was just something that is the ordinary sort of thing that Berkeley knew about. So what Johnson did was fail to get at what is wrong with what Berkeley was saying, because what Berkeley was saying was not incompatible with Johnson's behavior. Please reread the paragraph from Stove carefully, that I quoted above.

But was their trouble that they were ignorant of, or that they denied, some empirical facts or other, of which we are apprised? (Stove)

The problem here is how we should understand "empirical facts". When G.E. Moore displayed his hands in that famous lecture at the British Academy, and said, "Here is one hand, and here is another hand" and explained that he was displaying objects in the external world and thus refuting Kant's complaint that no one has proved the existence of "external objects" was Moore too simply misunderstanding Berkeley? We could ask what, if what Johnson and Moore did, was to misinterpret Berkeley, then what could they have done that would have correctly interpreted Berkeley? Anything? That Berkeley already knew that Johnson could do what he did, and was not fazed by it, does not seem to me a good argument for the conclusion that he should not have been fazed by it. It is, of course, never impossible to make your view impervious to refutation "come what may" by making enough assumptions to fend off the evidence. But that fact does not show that you have shown your position has not been refuted. It shows more about the capacity for a philosopher to be caught in the grip of a theory, than that he is able to defend his theory successfully. The anthropologist, Evans-Pritchard, who lived among the Azande in Africa pointed out how they believed that disease was caused by witches, and had ready, and ingenious explanations for the empirical objections to their theory, so that when Evans-Pritchard immersed himself in their theory, he nearly got rid of his doubts about it. It is always open for anyone to argue, "You did not refute me, you just misunderstood me", and argue for it. That is why Moore's proof was constantly criticized as having begged the question.

Humanity

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:37 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;137010 wrote:
I agree. Kicking the rock meant nothing. It just suggested that Johnson didn't care much for philosophy.

---------- Post added 03-06-2010 at 06:01 PM ----------

Kant's noumena is problematic. Here's Witt:
Btw, the quote from Witt came from which of his book.

There are a lot of criticisms of Kant's work from many sources and the notable one from Schopenhauer.
The validity of the criticism depend on the perspective used, for example what is reality in Newton's perpective, is not likely be realistic in the Einstein or QM perspective.

I have faith in W and he could probably be right on this critic of the noumena, but we need to understand the perspective he was using.

Imo, as far as Kant is concerned, the concept of the noumena is used as a 'wall' to prevent and ensure that the speculations of pure reason are not carried too far to be claimed as objective reality from the back door.
The usual 'thing-in-itself do not exists' because Kant said it is so, is too simplistic.
To really understand this concept and its purpose, we need to comprehend the 90% of the iceberg that support this principle.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 08:51 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;137014 wrote:
I think there are many people, Johnson included, who just don't get Berkeley's argument at all. It is a matter of perspective which requires a gestalt shift. But then, if you don't understand Berkeley, it is unlikely that the term 'gestalt shift' will mean much, either.

I suppose then that since I think that Johnson (and Moore) did refute Berkeley, I don't get Berkeley's argument at all. Do you think it is at all even possible that B's view can be refuted, or are all alleged refutations really misunderstandings? That seems peculiar attitude, doesn't it? ("When you disagree with me, that means you misunderstand me").

Humanity

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:02 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;137020 wrote:
But was their trouble that they were ignorant of, or that they denied, some empirical facts or other, of which we are apprised? (Stove)

The problem here is how we should understand "empirical facts". When G.E. Moore displayed his hands in that famous lecture at the British Academy, and said, "Here is one hand, and here is another hand" and explained that he was displaying objects in the external world and thus refuting Kant's complaint that no one has proved the existence of "external objects" was Moore too simply misunderstanding Berkeley? We could ask what, if what Johnson and Moore did, was to misinterpret Berkeley, then what could they have done that would have correctly interpreted Berkeley? Anything? That Berkeley already knew that Johnson could do what he did, and was not fazed by it, does not seem to me a good argument for the conclusion that he should not have been fazed by it. It is, of course, never impossible to make your view impervious to refutation "come what may" by making enough assumptions to fend off the evidence. But that fact does not show that you have shown your position has not been refuted. It shows more about the capacity for a philosopher to be caught in the grip of a theory, than that he is able to defend his theory successfully. The anthropologist, Evans-Pritchard, who lived among the Azande in Africa pointed out how they believed that disease was caused by witches, and had ready, and ingenious explanations for the empirical objections to their theory, so that when Evans-Pritchard immersed himself in their theory, he nearly got rid of his doubts about it. It is always open for anyone to argue, "You did not refute me, you just misunderstood me", and argue for it. That is why Moore's proof was constantly criticized as having begged the question.

Quote:

then what could they have done that would have correctly interpreted Berkeley?
Unfortunately if one is color-blind, there is nothing much one can do about it at present.
It may be possible, till humans can send nano machines into the brain to rewire the neurons and neural networks for proper color perception.

It is the same case for Johnson and Moore, they just do not have the neural networks or they are inhibiting (for whatever reason) its growth to understand what Berkeley or Kant understood.

W in his 'On Certainty' did explain why Moore's proof was not tenable.

At this present age, it would not be too difficult to get that 'Eureka' into the ideas of Berkeley's (non-theist aspect), Kant and others with hindsight and the help of the various neurosciences, cognitive neuroscience, QM, evolutionary biology, and the other modern fields of knowledge.
With the above, even if they do not agree with Berkeley and Kant's ideas, they should at least understand what Berkeley and Kant ideas were leading to.
Instead people like Stove et al just shot from the hip into the air without proper understanding on the ideas they are disputing.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:10 pm
@Humanity,
Humanity;137069 wrote:

Instead people like Stove et al just shot from the hip into the air without proper understanding on the ideas they are disputing.

Yes, what else could it possibly be? Since if Johnson believed he refuted Berkeley, what else could be the explanation of that except that Johnson did not understand Berkeley?. We needn't even show how he misunderstood Berkeley. His mere disagreement with Berkeley is enough to save us that trouble. (I thought that Pyrrho's quote from Stove was supposed to show that Johnson did misunderstand Berkeley, by the way).

Humanity

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:17 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;137066 wrote:
I suppose then that since I think that Johnson (and Moore) did refute Berkeley, I don't get Berkeley's argument at all. Do you think it is at all even possible that B's view can be refuted, or are all alleged refutations really misunderstandings? That seems peculiar attitude, doesn't it? ("When you disagree with me, that means you misunderstand me").
When anyone gets an ******** (sound like election with an r), there is nothing much to refute at all. It is just something that is realistic.

Berkeley and Kant were on to something more realistic re how humans interact with reality from a more refined perspective.
They were only limited as the various neurosciences and other modern fields of knowledge of what we get today were not available to them.

With their sort of thinking abilities and intelligence, I am quite sure, Berkeley and Kant would naturally adopt all this new knowledge if they are alive now.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:25 pm
@Humanity,
Humanity;137074 wrote:
When anyone gets an ******** (sound like election with an r), there is nothing much to refute at all. It is just something that is realistic.

Berkeley and Kant were on to something more realistic re how humans interact with reality from a more refined perspective.
They were only limited as the various neurosciences and other modern fields of knowledge of what we get today were not available to them.

With their sort of thinking abilities and intelligence, I am quite sure, Berkeley and Kant would naturally adopt all this new knowledge if they are alive now.

Your post does not seem to have anything to do with what I wrote which was that I don't think that we should say that just because a philosopher disagreed with Johnson, the philosopher must have misunderstood him. Berkeley's theory was hardly realistic. Indeed it was Idealism. Berkeley denied there were real objects. That was why Johnson kicked the stone. To illustrate that the stone was a real object, and so, refute Berkeley's theory which implies that is was not.

Humanity

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 09:36 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;137077 wrote:
Your post does not seem to have anything to do with what I wrote which was that I don't think that we should say that just because a philosopher disagreed with Johnson, the philosopher must have misunderstood him. Berkeley's theory was hardly realistic. Indeed it was Idealism. Berkeley denied there were real objects. That was why Johnson kicked the stone. To illustrate that the stone was a real object, and so, refute Berkeley's theory which implies that is was not.
I think to pigeon-holed Berkeley's ideas simply as 'idealism' is just similar to branding someone as a witch years ago and burn them on the stake.
It is the same psychology.
Many philosophers branded Berkeley's ideas as 'idealism' as something that would lead to solipsism, nihilism and if they accept it, they would go bonkers and mad.

Currently, some people have claimed Kant as the godfather of intellectual cognitive science.
They would not stupidly give him that title if there is no substance in Kant ideas.
Berkeley ideas shared a common thread with Kant.

I am not crazy about Berkeley or Kant, but they have my respect with the abilities to think 'out of the box' relative to his period when unconventional thinking risk deaths.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 10:17 pm
@Humanity,
Humanity;137080 wrote:
I think to pigeon-holed Berkeley's ideas simply as 'idealism' is just similar to branding someone as a witch years ago and burn them on the stake.
It is the same psychology.
Many philosophers branded Berkeley's ideas as 'idealism' as something that would lead to solipsism, nihilism and if they accept it, they would go bonkers and mad.

Currently, some people have claimed Kant as the godfather of intellectual cognitive science.
They would not stupidly give him that title if there is no substance in Kant ideas.
Berkeley ideas shared a common thread with Kant.

I am not crazy about Berkeley or Kant, but they have my respect with the abilities to think 'out of the box' relative to his period when unconventional thinking risk deaths.

Every history of philosophy classifies B. as the father of subjective idealism. B. said that "esse es percipi". Why would you say he is not an Idealist? This is off-track. The question is whether Johnson refuted B. Of course, if he refuted B., then it follows that he did not misinterpret B. since he could not have refuted B. and misunderstood B.

Never mind whether or not you like B.? That is not the issue. It is just a diversion. And whether or not they were unconventional thinkers is irrelevant, and is also a diversion.

Pyrrho

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 02:30 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;137071 wrote:
... (I thought that Pyrrho's quote from Stove was supposed to show that Johnson did misunderstand Berkeley, by the way).

No, it was to show that what I am saying is very much in accordance with what Stove is saying. Stove agreeing with me does not show that Johnson misunderstood Berkeley. I was, however, hoping that you would think about the matter a little more carefully because of your respect for Stove, but it has not turned out as I had hoped.

kennethamy;137020 wrote:

The problem here is how we should understand "empirical facts". When G.E. Moore displayed his hands in that famous lecture at the British Academy, and said, "Here is one hand, and here is another hand" and explained that he was displaying objects in the external world and thus refuting Kant's complaint that no one has proved the existence of "external objects" was Moore too simply misunderstanding Berkeley? We could ask what, if what Johnson and Moore did, was to misinterpret Berkeley, then what could they have done that would have correctly interpreted Berkeley? Anything? That Berkeley already knew that Johnson could do what he did, and was not fazed by it, does not seem to me a good argument for the conclusion that he should not have been fazed by it.

It is true enough that not being fazed by something is not proof that one ought not be fazed by something, but the fact is, Berkeley was not fazed by such things and trying to persuade him, or anyone who agreed with him, would have to involve something that would faze him. A proof that uses premises that are in dispute is a fairly useless proof, and in this case, the premises (if we wish to pretend that his action is really an argument) which are evidently intended, essentially beg the question at issue. If you are going to argue with Berkeley or one who agrees with him, it is pointless and absurd to use arguments with premises that are such that the person would not accept them. I might as well "prove" to everyone online that I am sitting on a wooden chair by pointing at it. It does not prove it to you or anyone online who had any inclination to not take my word for the matter.

Since I am not succeeding in the current approach, let me start asking the questions. What, exactly, is Johnson supposed to be accomplishing by his action? Who is he going to be convincing? Please do not now tell me that there is a difference between a proof and convincing someone, as I am well aware of that. But what, exactly, did Johnson accomplish?

kennethamy;137020 wrote:
It is, of course, never impossible to make your view impervious to refutation "come what may" by making enough assumptions to fend off the evidence. But that fact does not show that you have shown your position has not been refuted. It shows more about the capacity for a philosopher to be caught in the grip of a theory, than that he is able to defend his theory successfully. The anthropologist, Evans-Pritchard, who lived among the Azande in Africa pointed out how they believed that disease was caused by witches, and had ready, and ingenious explanations for the empirical objections to their theory, so that when Evans-Pritchard immersed himself in their theory, he nearly got rid of his doubts about it. It is always open for anyone to argue, "You did not refute me, you just misunderstood me", and argue for it. That is why Moore's proof was constantly criticized as having begged the question.

Suppose instead of Berkeley, we were talking about whether or not we were brains in vats. Do you imagine that kicking a stone would disprove such an idea? Why or why not?

If you say, by kicking a stone, he really is kicking a stone rather than simply appearing to kick a stone, my question is, how is one to tell the difference between those two ideas? That they are different I will not presently dispute; but it is necessary that we can tell a difference in order for Johnson's "proof" to be of any use.

Perhaps telling you a story will help illustrate the problem with what Johnson did. I have seen a magician do the trick of "turning water into wine", by pouring the water from one vessel into another (just as it is described in the Bible as Jesus' first miracle, by the way). There was water in the first vessel, but after it was poured into the second vessel, what was poured out of the second vessel was wine. Now, did he prove that he could really turn water into wine? If you say no (with which I will obviously agree), how is this really different from what Johnson did? That Johnson did something, in some sense of the words "did something", Berkeley need not dispute. The question is, did he really do what he professed to do, or was it merely a Berkelian illusion? His action does not show or prove which is really occurring, just as my magician example does not show whether he was really turning water into wine, or simply created the appearance of doing so. In order for Johnson's proof to be a proof, it must be that he shows that he is not merely appearing to be kicking a stone, but really is kicking a stone (in a materialist sense of the expression). Otherwise, his proof is no better than the magician's proof that he can turn water into wine (which, of course, the magician did not call a "proof", as he knew better, unlike Johnson).

Edited to add:

Imagine, after the magician performed the trick of turning water into wine, that someone were to wonder whether or not the magician really turned water into wine. Then suppose that the magician says, okay, I will prove it, and performs the trick again. The magician, in such a case, is either missing the point of what is being suggested, or is simply a charlatan who is trying to pull a fast one. The issue is whether or not the appearance matches up with the reality. So showing another appearance of the same thing without anything else done is irrelevant and beside the point. Likewise, with Berkeley and Johnson. Johnson is like the magician. Berkeley has already seen the appearance, and is suggesting that it might really be a trick. Johnson simply performs the trick again, and pretends that that proves something about the reality. So either Johnson has missed the point, or he is a charlatan who is trying to pull a fast one. I have suggested that it is his understanding that is at fault rather than his integrity, though I have no argument against supposing instead that he was simply a charlatan trying to pull a fast one.

Of course, maybe (in some sense of the word) the magician is really turning water into wine, but simply performing the trick again does not establish that, which would take something more. Likewise, maybe Johnson is really kicking a material stone, but simply performing the trick again does not establish that, which would take something more.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 05:21:55