Did Samuel Johnson misunderstand George Berkeley?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Humanity

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 06:56 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;143740 wrote:
Anyway, off the point. I only had one comment I wanted to have criticized here. I think esse means 'to be', and 'to be' does not mean the same as 'to exist'. It is true that I can say that 'I exist' and 'I am', however I think the two terms mean different things. 'My existence' refers to my being in the world, the external facts of my person, etc. 'My being' is the ground in which these inhere. I suppose I am veering off into some kind of existentialism here.

But as a result, I think there is a difference between the ideas 'to be is to be perceived' and 'something only exists if it is perceived'. The role of mind is pivotal, once again. It is within the mind that the nature of existence is realized, or made real. This does not say outside the human mind, or a mind, that nothing exists. I think it is to say, that outside mind, nothing either exists or does not exist. But I know that is not going to stand up, on face value. I certainly have much more reading to do.

Ayway I acknowledge this has not much to do with Berkeley. I now understand - thanks to all - the limitations of Berkeley's view. I don't think his view is without some truth, or without merit, but at the same time, I also don't believe it provides a complete philosophical outlook. At best it is a statement that says 'in an important sense, esse est percipe' - and then proceeds to try and create an entire worldview on this basis.
There is definitely more to the "esse" and "peripi" in Berkeley's context.
Those who oppose Berkeley sidestep 'the problem of universals' and bashed Berkeley as a strawman.

If Berkeley were to really mean that reality is all in our mind and comprising of 'internal' sensations and ideas,
then he has to be a madman to be really insisting on that.
But we know Berkeley was not mad, and he presented his arguments very logically.

---------- Post added 03-25-2010 at 08:35 PM ----------

Extrain;143567 wrote:
whatever. Again, this charge is empty. If you think people have a strawmanned Berkeley, then show it. I don't believe you at all.
Note i have raised an OP to do that.

Quote:

haha! No. The empricial sciences can only reveal a posteriori truth because they are empirical sciences. All philosophy (including Kant's Transcendental Analytic) yields a priori necessary truths because it is a non-empirical enterprise. sheesh...you are in desperate need of a philosophical dictionary.
Laughing at yourself perhaps.
Science and philosophy dynamically complement each other like the Yin-Yang.
I am not stating that philosophers should be scientists, but philosophers in certain cases can learn and grow incrementally with scientific knowledge and vice-versa.
I thought you should know better.

A sense of grandeur is often due to some underlying psychological problem.
I don't need a dictionary for the those two basic terms from Kant.
I don't think Kant used the term 'a priori necessary truths' (where in his critique btw) but rather 'knowledge a posteriori', 'knowledge a priori', 'synthetic a priori judgment' etc..
Btw, i have read Kant CoPR quite thoroughly but i do not claim to be an expert on Kant.

From one perspective, a priori is dependent on a posteriori.in another they are mutually dependent.
Our human a priori elements are inherited from and build upon our ancestors' a posteriori experiences over millions and billions of years ago.
This of course is not Kant's but Schopenhauer's idea.

Quote:

Sure, this would be valuable in its own right. But this isn't a philosophical project. This is a scientific one. You will get results about empirical condtioning, cognitive functioning, and derive empirical theories about memory access, cognitive report, and control, and perhaps some results about psychological behavior too. But science cannot reveal normative rules about the a priori logical and metaphysical principles governing all sense-experience--which is precisely what a Transcendental Project seeks to uncover. At most, these sciences will reveal empirically-conditioned neural patterns about emprically testable cognitive behavior. It will not reveal normative logical and metaphysical principles because whatever empirical theory you happen to derive scientifically will actually presuppose these logical and metaphysical principles themselves by which these theories are derived. So these principles are presupposed in all experience itself, not derivable from all experience. This is exactly what is so Unique about Kant's Transcendental project. He wants to uncover what it is that makes experience normatively, logically, and metaphyiscally possible--not merely empirically possible: which is all that scientific research will unconver.
As i had mentioned above, I did not expect philosophers to be scientists but learn from each others as they have been doing since thousand of years ago.

Quote:

Are you now a student at a university? If you are, you should know that online peer-reviewed journals will not let download articles, print them, or read them unless you are affiliated with an actual university--otherwise you will have to pay at around 20 to 40 bucks for each article.
Most of the contemporary groundbreaking work in philosophy, and in every other academic discpline for that matter, is published in these peer-reviewed journals and not in actual books (although some are). So your online access to these journals will be severely limited unless you are enrolled in a university or are willing to pay high bucks for these articles.
Not a student. Despite the above con$traint$, there are free research papers available for download.

Quote:

"Didn't go further" with respect to what??
What else? I meant more refined philosophy.

Quote:
Oh yeah? And how so? Can you explain why you think this? or are you just claiming to know something you actually don't again?
I admit i have been making many off-the-cuff and unsupported statements.
That does not meant i do not have the 'stuff' and based on personal integrity i will never invent anything out of air.
It is very tedious to locate and collate the necessary info, especially when we are dealing with more refined philosophical issues.
I am aware of the limitations and you can say what you want.

SammDickens

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 08:55 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;143584 wrote:
Remember, Berkeley starts out his arguments with what he calls a very "common sense" princple but then derives (albeit invalidly) a very counterintuitive conclusion. And Moore approached the topic of skepticism, just like everyone seems to be approaching Berkeley's argument here. Moore used the "your modens ponens is my modus tollens" reply to the skeptic. Like here:

Skeptic says:

If I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat, then I do not know that I have hands.
I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat.
Therefore, I do not know that I have hands.

Moore says:

If i do not know that I am not a brain in a vat, then I do not know that I have hands.
But I do know that I have hands.
Therefore, I do know that I am not a brain in a vat.

So which premise is more plausible than the other? That I know that I have hands? Or that I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat?
Philosophers will answer differently.

I would respond similarly to Berkeley about Idealism if I were to take this approach.

There is a problem with Moore's version, you see. The hands that you know you have are the same hands that the brain in a vat would know that he had. You do not know that you have hands beyond those of your experience because, well, you might be a brain in a vat.

Nor does it logically follow from your first premise, in both of these syllogisms, that a certain knowledge that you are not a brain in a vat would entail a consequent certain knowledge that you have hands. But that latter point is just a logical point and not pertinent to the comparison of the two syllogisms, since they both have the same first premise.

So, is Johnson kicking the stone something that he can experience even if he is a brain in a vat? Or, is such an experience, according to Berkeley's arguments, something that is not possible unless his argument that feet and stones are not material also entails an argument that feet and stones are not substantial? And finally, does the one argument necessarily entail the other?

My opinion is that Berkeley argued that feet and stones are not material, but he never argued, nor was it his intent to imply, that being non-material realities, they must also necessarily be insubstantial realities. In this case, I do not understand how Johnson's action of kicking a stone can in any way refute Berkeley's argument that reality is not fundamentally material in nature.

Samm

Humanity

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 01:56 am
@Zetherin,
From hearsay, Johnson learned that Berkeley claimed
reality is all in the mind arising from the ideal of sensations and ideas.
The slogan "Esse is Percipi" had been circulated to mock Berkeley.
To refute Berkeley point that the rock exists internally in mind as ideas and sensation (a strawman), Johnson kicked a rock to demonstrate it is external to his mind.

I had provided other arguments how Johnson misunderstood Berkeley.
If Johnson had read and understood Berkeley, he would not have kicked
the stone because Berkeley acknowledge the externality of the stone.
Note the following paras;

668 PHILONOUS. Do I not know this to be a real stone that I stand on, and that which I see before my eyes to be a real tree?

670 PHILONOUS. But surely, Hylas, I can distinguish gold, for example, from iron: and how could this be, if I knew not what either truly was?

682 PHILONOUS. I am of a vulgar cast, simple enough to believe my senses, and leave things as I find them.
To be plain, it is my opinion that the real things are those very things I see, and feel, and perceive by my senses.
These I know; and, finding they answer all the necessities and purposes of life, have no reason to be solicitous about any other unknown beings.
A piece of sensible bread, for instance, would stay my stomach better than ten thousand times as much of that insensible, unintelligible, real bread you speak of.
It is likewise my opinion that colours and other sensible qualities are on the objects.
I cannot for my life help thinking that snow is white, and fire hot.

From the above, Berkeley clearly stated that he believed in the common sense,
thus it is moot for Johnson to rely on common sense itself to prove otherwise.

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:08 am
@Humanity,
Humanity;143872 wrote:
670 PHILONOUS. But surely, Hylas, I can distinguish gold, for example, from iron: and how could this be, if I knew not what either truly was?

682 PHILONOUS. I am of a vulgar cast, simple enough to believe my senses, and leave things as I find them.
To be plain, it is my opinion that the real things are those very things I see, and feel, and perceive by my senses.
These I know; and, finding they answer all the necessities and purposes of life, have no reason to be solicitous about any other unknown beings.
A piece of sensible bread, for instance, would stay my stomach better than ten thousand times as much of that insensible, unintelligible, real bread you speak of.
It is likewise my opinion that colours and other sensible qualities are on the objects.
I cannot for my life help thinking that snow is white, and fire hot.

Humanity;143872 wrote:
.I had provided other arguments how Johnson misunderstood Berkeley. If Johnson had read and understood Berkeley, he would not have kicked the stone because Berkeley acknowledge the externality of the stone.

I don't see any reference to "externality" here. If the stone is just an idea, how can the stone exist externally in space anyway? Ideas cannot be extended in space because they are not spatial-temporal kinds of things. You just mean to say that ideas cannot exist independently from the mind. Independence and externality are not the same thing. The former expresses the condition of something not existing contingently on something else, the latter expresses spatial extension.

Humanity;143872 wrote:
.From the above, Berkeley clearly stated that he believed in the common sense.

The "common sense," here, is only expressed in the intuitively obvious truth that,

Real sensible things are immediately perceived.

The non-common-sense and intuitively false conclusion is,

Real sensible things are Ideas.

Humanity;143872 wrote:
.To refute Berkeley point that the rock exists internally in mind as ideas and sensation (a strawman), Johnson kicked a rock to demonstrate it is external to his mind. thus it is moot for Johnson to rely on common sense itself to prove otherwise

Not it isn't. Johnson tried to demonstrate the conclusion that "Real sensible things are material substances" is more likely true than Berkeley's conclusion that "Real sensible things are Ideas." This is why Berkeley's deriving a totally counterintuitive conclusion from a very commonsense principle should make anyone immediately suspicious that something has gone terribly wrong in Berkeley's argument! Berkeley has no more priviledge over the demonstration in offering evidence for his conclusion than Johnson has in offering evidence for his.

Humanity

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:35 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143889 wrote:
I don't see any reference to "externality" here. If the stone is just an idea, how can the stone exist externally in space anyway? Ideas cannot be extended in space because they are not spatial-temporal kinds of things. You just mean to say that ideas cannot exist independently from the mind. Independence and externality are not the same thing. The former expresses the condition of something not existing contingently on something else, the latter expresses spatial extension.

The "common sense," here, is only expressed in the intuitively obvious truth that,

Real sensible things are immediately perceived.

The non-common-sense and intuitively false conclusion is,

Real sensible things are Ideas.

Not it isn't. Johnson tried to demonstrate the conclusion that "Real sensible things are material substances" is more likely true than Berkeley's conclusion that "Real sensible things are Ideas." This is why Berkeley's deriving a totally counterintuitive conclusion from a very commonsense principle should make anyone immediately suspicious that something has gone terribly wrong in Berkeley's argument! Berkeley has no more priviledge over the demonstration in offering evidence for his conclusion than Johnson has in offering evidence for his.
Berkeley stated that he was standing on the stone.
If that is not "externality" what else is it?
It is implied that he was standing on a stone that was external to his leg, body, brain and mind within a common sense perspective.

The consequence and effect, imo, is no difference from what Kant described, except Berkeley was not that detailed.

Kant in Critique wrote:

For how should our faculty of knowledge be awakened into action,
did not objects affecting our senses
partly of themselves produce representations,
partly arouse the activity of our understanding to compare these representations,
and, by combining or separating them, work up the raw material of the sensible impressions into that knowledge of objects which is entitled experience?

I think you did not understand what Hylas understand by real thing or real stone.

To Berkeley, the real stone is that empirical stone that he was standing on.
To Hylas, the real stone is the stone-in-itself comprising of matter and substance which are independent of the mind.
Hylas's real stone-in-itsef is non-existence which Berkerley was attempting to refute.

400 PHILONOUS.It seems then you have no idea at all, neither relative nor positive, of Matter;
you know neither what it is in itself, nor what relation it bears to accidents?

If Johnson were to refute Berkeley accordingly, Johnson would have to prove that there is such thing as a stone-in-itself..

Kicking the stone was just a strawman.

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:40 am
@SammDickens,
Samm;143822 wrote:
There is a problem with Moore's version, you see. The hands that you know you have are the same hands that the brain in a vat would know that he had.You do not know that you have hands beyond those of your experience because, well, you might be a brain in a vat.

Sure, if the BIV hypothesis were true, then the *evidence* would be empirically indistinguishable from the real evidence.

But this isn't Moore's problem because he is not required to show that he knows he is not a BIV before showing that he knows he has hands.

The question for YOU is, do you have any good reasons to suppose that we are, rather than not, actual BIV's? If you don't, then just entertaining any logically possible hypothesis you want doesn't make it any more likely that that hypothesis is true than what it appears we already know to be true, namely, that the external world exists.

Samm;143822 wrote:
Nor does it logically follow from your first premise, in both of these syllogisms, that a certain knowledge that you are not a brain in a vat would entail a consequent certain knowledge that you have hands.

uhhh...you have it wrong. That's not even the first premise. The premise says,

If I don't know I am not a BIV, then I don't know that I have hands.

And just so you are aware, this premise is exactly the conditional statement the skeptic requires to makes his case against the non-skeptic. If you reject that conditional, then the skeptic doesn't have a case at all.

Samm;143822 wrote:
My opinion is that Berkeley argued that feet and stones are not material, but he never argued, nor was it his intent to imply, that being non-material realities, they must also necessarily be insubstantial realities. In this case, I do not understand how

Of course. But I don't think Johnson was trying to demonstrate that Ideas are any less real than material. He was just trying to show that Berkeley has no more reason to suppose the stone is not material than that the stone is material. And Johnson was right.

Samm;143822 wrote:
Johnson's action of kicking a stone can in any way refute Berkeley's argument that reality is not fundamentally material in nature.

It doesn't matter. Berkeley's argument in no way refutes the hypothesis that the stone is material either. So it is more likely the stone is a material, than that stone is an idea--because that is exactly how it intuitively appears to us. Berkeley has very little reason to suppose otherwise.

ACB

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 07:39 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143895 wrote:
He was just trying to show that Berkeley has no more reason to suppose the stone is not material than that the stone is material. And Johnson was right.

I agree that Berkeley has no more reason (indeed, he has less reason) to suppose the stone is not material than that it is material. I think it is reasonable to believe (as Johnson did) that stones and other solid-looking objects are material. But that is not the point.

There are two propositions involved:
1. This stone is solid.
2. What is solid is material.

Kicking a stone provides evidence for (1), but how can it possibly provide evidence for (2)? I think (2) is true, because it accords with common sense, but kicking a stone does not make it any likelier than it was before. That is the essential point; Johnson did not refute Berkeley "thus" (i.e. by kicking the stone). But he thought he did. Therefore, he misunderstood Berkeley.

If he had understood him, Johnson could have said something like: "There is no good reason to doubt the common-sense view that (2) is true". He had no need to prove (1), as no-one ever doubted it.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:53 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;143778 wrote:
I don't think this is true, but as it is a completely different argument to the main one I will pursue it elsewhere.

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 11:55 AM ----------

.[/QUOTE]

Knowing is intrinsic to 'being' and extrinsic to 'existing'

No idea what that means. (I hope you did not expect that I would).

Some philosophers, famously Meinong, distinguished between existence and "subsistence", but held that both what exists and subsists (like The Golden Mountain) are. It was Meinong whom Russell accused of lacking a robust sense of reality.

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 10:56 AM ----------

ACB;143959 wrote:

If he had understood him, Johnson could have said something like: "There is no good reason to doubt the common-sense view that (2) is true". He had no need to prove (1), as no-one ever doubted it.

Johnson could very well have said, "and that is why there is no good reason to doubt commonsense", just after he kicked the stone.

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:07 am
@Humanity,
Humanity;143893 wrote:
Berkeley stated that he was standing on the stone.
If that is not "externality" what else is it?

Apparently he just means that when I am standing on an stone, I am Idea-standing on an Idea-stone in an Idea-space.

I seriously doubt Berkeley would want to say that Ideas are extended in actual space. So perhaps Ideas can be extended in the Space-Idea?

You might want to take into consideration these two things before you contend Ideas are spatiall extended--just for your own benefit:
(1) Special Theory of Relativity says Space is a "fabric" warped by matter itself, and that there is no such thing "Absolute" space.
(2) Though it hasn't been proven, many string-theorists today think that space is actually material, just like the normal things we take to actual material bodies.

If I can really cut the bread in space, then the bread is extended in space, and hence a material object. But bread and rocks can only be Ideas, and Ideas are not materially extended in space. So I doubt that's the conclusion Berkeley wants.

Humanity;143893 wrote:
It is implied that he was standing on a stone that was external to his leg, body, brain and mind within a common sense perspective.

But he was standing on an Idea-stone that was Idea-external to his mind's Idea-leg, Idea-body, Idea-brain within a not-so-common-sense perspective.

Are you now denying stones, bodies, and brains are Ideas?

Humanity;143893 wrote:
The consequence and effect, imo, is no difference from what Kant described, except Berkeley was not that detailed.

nah...you don't know what you're talking about.

Humanity;143893 wrote:
I think you did not understand what Hylas understand by real thing or real stone.

Ideas are just as real as material objects. Material objects are just as real as Ideas. But of course, Berkeley disagrees with the latter.

Humanity;143893 wrote:
To Berkeley, the real stone is that empirical stone that he was standing on.

Sure. The real stone is a real Idea stone Berkeley is standing on.

Humanity;143893 wrote:
To Hylas, the real stone is the stone-in-itself comprising of matter and substance which are independent of the mind.

That's right. So?

Humanity;143893 wrote:
Hylas's real stone-in-itsef is non-existence which Berkerley was attempting to refute.

Yes, we all know that's what Berkeley is trying to do.

But if we can't know the stone-in-itself, and we can't know whether the stone-in-itself exists, then how can we know that the stone-in-itself doesn't exist either?

[QUOTE=Humanity;143893]It seems then you have no idea at all, neither relative nor positive, of Matter; [/quote][QUOTE=Humanity;143893]
you know neither what it is in itself, nor what relation it bears to accidents?

If Johnson were to refute Berkeley accordingly, Johnson would have to prove that there is such thing as a stone-in-itself..

Kicking the stone was just a strawman
[/QUOTE]
But this isn't an argument. This is just Berkeley stipulating his own Dogma. He says,

A person has no Idea of what Matter is, or its relation to other things.
In other words, a person doesn't know what "it-is-in-itself" (whatever that means), or what relation this completely "unqualified Lockean substance" bears to all its primary and secondary qualities.

I disagree, primarily because the term "thing-in-itself" is non-sensical, and Berkeley has no reason to be calling material objects by this name. So I think we do know what matter is, and the relations it stands in to other objects. I still know what Material substances are, and I recognize them by their various properties and the affects they have on my sense organs.

Like Kant before me, and in opposition to Berkeley, I contend that we don't even know if there is any such thing as "the thing-in-itself." Like Kant, I think the "thing in itself" is merely a theoretical device designed to show to metaphysicans like Berkeley that we cannot say anything at all about the alleged non-existence of entities that are potentially beyond the bounds of all possible sense-experience and conceptual capacity. Therefore, I don't have to be at the present time perceiving an entity for that entity to exist; nor do I have to be conceiving it in order for that entity to exist. That entity can exist independent of my perception of it. And there is nothing incoherent about asserting that.

I also contend that this Matter can exist independently of mine and everyone else's perception (maybe not God's). And stones, rocks, trees are not Ideas; they are material things.

SammDickens

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:18 am
@ACB,
ACB;143959 wrote:
I agree that Berkeley has no more reason (indeed, he has less reason) to suppose the stone is not material than that it is material. I think it is reasonable to believe (as Johnson did) that stones and other solid-looking objects are material. But that is not the point.

1. This stone is solid.

Kicking a stone provides evidence for (1), but how can it possibly provide evidence for (2)? I think (2) is true, because it accords with common sense, but kicking a stone does not make it any likelier than it was before. That is the essential point; Johnson did not refute Berkeley "thus" (i.e. by kicking the stone). But he thought he did. Therefore, he misunderstood Berkeley.

The point of your post is valid, I think, in explaining a confusion that Johnson seems to have operated on. But I disagree with you in what you state in your first paragraph. All our knowledge about reality comes through our senses, and our logical judgments about our sensory information. When we become aware of reality, it is as an idea in the mind. The empiricists seem generally to have made this point. Now, how do we get from this point, where reality is ideal to the subsequent point that reality is material?

You see, I think Berkeley saw that we are creating a step that is not justified when we make the supposition that reality is an external, material substance. Where do we get that notion? How do we even conjecture it, much less prove it on the basis of our available information?

We make the supposition on the basis of the fact that we SHARE certain of our experiences with other conscious beings, other people, suggesting that these realities are not exclusively in our minds, as a delusion might be or as other ideas we hold might be. Thus, we develop the notion that these ideas arise from something external to which all our human minds have equal access and exposure. And because neither you nor I can walk through that tree that is common to both our ideas of reality, then we think of that tree as substantial in and of itself, hence, material. This at least is how I would answer my own questions from above.

What is internal to my mind is inaccessible to any other mind unless I convert it to an accessible form, as I am doing now by converting my thoughts to words. The world, as sensory ideas, is also internal to my mind, but it is clearly also internal to your mind and your mind and your mind, etc.; it is shared by many minds. But if something is internal to many minds and not exclusively internal to any one mind, then it is external. What is internal to your mind is external to my mind. That is to say that our experience of the real world is shared, but it is not identical. Whether reality is material or exists in the mind of God, it still is exterior to the mind of men (you and I and other men).

Now, Berkeley does not take this step. He simply says that all we can know of reality is ideas in the mind, therefore let us presume only that reality itself is nothing more than ideas in the mind. This in itself is good philosophy, is it not? And in this sense, it is we who argue for an external and/or material reality who are supposing something that is not immediately evident from the information of our senses.

Samm

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:26 am
@ACB,
ACB;143959 wrote:

1. This stone is solid.

But separating (1) and (2) as if they were completely distinct propositions is an arbitrarily stipulated distinction that is invented to work on behalf of Berkelians. The reason is that the commonsense view is that the following statement is analytic, and hence, necessarily true.

(3) All solid objects are material.

So when I kick the rock, I am demonstrating that all solid objects are material. Hence, it is an argument against Berkeley who denies the truth of (3).

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:31 am
@SammDickens,
Samm;144012 wrote:

Now, Berkeley does not take this step. He simply says that all we can know of reality is ideas in the mind, therefore let us presume only that reality itself is nothing more than ideas in the mind. This in itself is good philosophy, is it not? And in this sense, it is we who argue for an external and/or material reality who are supposing something that is not immediately evident from the information of our senses.

Samm

I don't know what you are packing into "presume", but it is clear that the argument, all we can know about reality is ideas in the mind, so, all there is about reality is ideas in the mind, is an unsound argument because it is 1. invalid, and 2. has a false premise. And I doubt very much that an unsound argument can be good philosophy. Even if it is true that when we believe there is material reality we are believing "Now, Berkeley does not take this step. He simply says that all we can know of reality is ideas in the mind, therefore let us presume only that reality itself is nothing more than ideas in the mind. This in itself is good philosophy, is it not? And in this sense, it is we who argue for an external and/or material reality who are supposing something that is not immediately evident from the information of our senses" what is supposed to follow from that. Certainly no that we don't know there is material reality. The death of Julius Ceasar "is not immediately evident from the information of our senses" but how does it follow that we do not know of the death of Julius Caesar?

SammDickens

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:46 am
@kennethamy,
Extrain said:
"Skeptic says:

If I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat, then I do not know that I have hands.

Moore says:

If i do not know that I am not a brain in a vat, then I do not know that I have hands.

So which premise is more plausible than the other? That I know that I have hands? Or that I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat?"
---------------------------------------------------------------
Your first premise for both of these syllogisms is "If not A then not B." The skeptic then goes on to say, "Not A, therefore not B." This merely repeats the conditional premise as a conclusion. Moore however goes on to say "B, therefore A." I am pointing out to you that the inverse ("If A then B.") of your opening premise is not supported. Nor is your conclusion that "if B then A." In other words, Moore's logic is very faulty.

My most immediate challenge is this. How does Moore come to the conclusion: "But I do know that I have hands."??? How does he know that he has hands? Because he can see them? Then the initial premise is wrong, because even the brain in the vat can see hands and feet and clouds in the sky and fish in the sea. The hands that are experienced are the same whether the subject is as experienced or is a brain in a vat. How does Moore claim to know that he has hands other than those of his experience?

Samm

wayne

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:51 am
@kennethamy,
Did Berkeley mean for his argument to be viewed other than from the context of self? We are literal storehouses of what might be called post perceptual knowledge, does this apply to his reasoning?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:52 am
@SammDickens,
Samm;144027 wrote:
Extrain said:
"Skeptic says:

Moore says:

So which premise is more plausible than the other? That I know that I have hands? Or that I do not know that I am not a brain in a vat?"
Your first premise for both of these syllogisms is "If not A then not B." The skeptic then goes on to say, "Not A, therefore not B." This merely repeats the conditional premise as a conclusion. Moore however goes on to say "B, therefore A." I am pointing out to you that the inverse ("If A then B.") of your opening premise is not supported. Nor is your conclusion that "if B then A." In other words, Moore's logic is very faulty.

My most immediate challenge is this. How does Moore come to the conclusion: "But I do know that I have hands."??? How does he know that he has hands? Because he can see them? Then the initial premise is wrong, because even the brain in the vat can see hands and feet and clouds in the sky and fish in the sea. The hands that are experienced are the same whether the subject is as experienced or is a brain in a vat. How does Moore claim to know that he has hands other than those of his experience?

Samm

The question is not how Moore knows he has hands. The question is whether Moore knows he has hands. Moore thought is was far more probable that we know we have hands than that we do not know we are BIV. So do I. How Moore knows he has hand is a very different issue.

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 11:08 am
@SammDickens,
Samm;144027 wrote:
Extrain said:
"Skeptic says:

Moore says:

No, you're still not understanding what's going on here.

First, "If A then B" is not logically equivalent to the converse "If B then A." So you are totally inventing a new premise NO ONE holds here--neither Moore, nor the Skeptic.

Second, the skeptic argument just IS the argument above. Moore is not proposing it, the skeptics are. Moore is just responding to their argument by turning it in to a modus tollens rather than a modus ponens argument. So the structure of the argument is the same for both the skeptic and Moorean-type of non-skeptic. Some non-skeptics deny the truth of the first premise altogether, Moore doesn't. But just about all skeptics will maintain the first premise--because that's the only way they can make a case.

Moore is trying to show the skeptic argument is no more plausible than than his own by adopting the skeptic's own premise. So essentially, Moore is trying to show the skeptic up in the skeptic's own territory.

Samm;144027 wrote:
My most immediate challenge is this. How does Moore come to the conclusion: "But I do know that I have hands."??? How does he know that he has hands? Because he can see them?

Yes, that's how Moore does it. So he is shifting the burden of proof onto YOU. That's how the strategy WORKS. So the question for the skeptic is: what makes you think you do NOT know that you are NOT a brain in a vat? The burden of proof is on YOU no less than Moore.

Samm;144027 wrote:
Then the initial premise is wrong,

No it's not, because you got the wrong premise. Please pay attention to what's being claimed here. The skeptic makes the claim that,

If I do not know then I am not a BIV, then I do not know that I have hands.

Moore agrees completely. But then Moore claims: I know I do have hands. That's his evidence. Therefore, he knows that he is not a BIV.

Samm;144027 wrote:
because even the brain in the vat can see hands and feet and clouds in the sky and fish in the sea. The hands that are experienced are the same whether the subject is as experienced or is a brain in a vat.

Again, you are missing the point. Moore has already given you his answer. Whether or not his evidence is satisfactory is not the point. So the burden is now on you. The question for you is:

How do you know that you don't know that you are not a BIV?

Can you answer this? If you can't, then Moore has the upper hand because he has evidence to support his premise (however basic), while you are still lacking support for this premise altogether. So the burden switches to the skeptic. See how this works?

Samm;144027 wrote:
How does Moore claim to know that he has hands other than those of his experience?

...because it is immediately self-evident in his experience. But how he knows this is not question. The question is whether Moore knows it...and whether this is more probable than that we do not know that we are not BIV's.
---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 11:14 AM ----------

kennethamy;144061 wrote:
The question is not how Moore knows he has hands. The question is whether Moore knows he has hands. Moore thought is was far more probable that we know we have hands than that we do not know we are BIV. So do I. How Moore knows he has hand is a very different issue.

Wait. Isn't the actual question:

What makes the skeptic think it is more likely that we don't know that we are not BIV's than that we do know that we have hands?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 11:52 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;144066 wrote:

What makes the skeptic think it is more likely that we don't know that we are not BIV's than that we do know that we have hands?

That, I think, is still a different issue. The present is is the truth (plausibility) of the premises.

SammDickens

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 01:44 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;144061 wrote:

I very much beg to differ in that opinion, because it is in this that Berkeley's argument is immune to people kicking stones and raising their hands for display. Brains in Vats can kick stones and raise their hands; their bodies and their worlds are within their brains/minds/sensory experiences. Moore does not KNOW that he has any hands except the hands of his sensory perceptions, which are ideas in his brain/mind/sensory perception. Therefore his argument and actions are meaningless.

Johnson and Moore both miss the mark, even if Berkeley's conclusions are faulty because they miss the mark on Berkeley's aruments.

Samm

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 02:51 PM ----------

Extrain;144066 wrote:
No, you're still not understanding what's going on here.

First, "If A then B" is not logically equivalent to the converse "If B then A." So you are totally inventing a new premise NO ONE holds here--neither Moore, nor the Skeptic.

Second, the skeptic argument just IS the argument above. Moore is not proposing it, the skeptics are. Moore is just responding to their argument by turning it in to a modus tollens rather than a modus ponens argument. So the structure of the argument is the same for both the skeptic and Moorean-type of non-skeptic. Some non-skeptics deny the truth of the first premise altogether, Moore doesn't. But just about all skeptics will maintain the first premise--because that's the only way they can make a case.

Moore is trying to show the skeptic argument is no more plausible than than his own by adopting the skeptic's own premise. So essentially, Moore is trying to show the skeptic up in the skeptic's own territory.

Yes, that's how Moore does it. So he is shifting the burden of proof onto YOU. That's how the strategy WORKS. So the question for the skeptic is: what makes you think you do NOT know that you are NOT a brain in a vat? The burden of proof is on YOU no less than Moore.

No it's not, because you got the wrong premise. Please pay attention to what's being claimed here. The skeptic makes the claim that,

If I do not know then I am not a BIV, then I do not know that I have hands.

Moore agrees completely. But then Moore claims: I know I do have hands. That's his evidence. Therefore, he knows that he is not a BIV.

Again, you are missing the point. Moore has already given you his answer. Whether or not his evidence is satisfactory is not the point. So the burden is now on you. The question for you is:

How do you know that you don't know that you are not a BIV?

Can you answer this? If you can't, then Moore has the upper hand because he has evidence to support his premise (however basic), while you are still lacking support for this premise altogether. So the burden switches to the skeptic. See how this works?

...because it is immediately self-evident in his experience. But how he knows this is not question. The question is whether Moore knows it...and whether this is more probable than that we do not know that we are not BIV's.
---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 11:14 AM ----------

Let me be brief, Extrain.

Oh, puh - leeeaze!!!

Go dream your dreams and believe that your beliefs are beyond challenge. You're as intransigent as anyone here, and that says a lot.

I won't be bothered with you any more.

Samm

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 01:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;144099 wrote:
That, I think, is still a different issue. The present is is the truth (plausibility) of the premises.

...yes, but technically, the way you're forumulating it is not the actual premise the skeptic needs to offer reasons for plausible belief, so the skeptic is going to wriggle out of it.

The skeptic is not actually claiming that he himself doesn't know that he is a BIV, so why should he have to offer reasons for its plausibility? Nor is the skeptic claiming you do not know you are a BIV because you are not actually claiming that you are a BIV. Rather, the skeptic is claiming you do not know that you are not a BIV--which is just another way of saying that you do not know that you have hands because you lack the warrant sufficient for demonstrating your presupposed knowledge that you are not a brain in a vat.

So since the skeptic isn't required to offer you reason why he thinks it is more plausible that you don't know you are a BIV because you are not actually claiming that you are a BIV, this is not a burden the skeptic is actually carrying. All the skeptic has to do cite the high standards of warrant implicit in the first premise as reasons for your not knowing you have hands which is what Samm keeps doing.

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 02:21 PM ----------

Samm;144166 wrote:
Let me be brief, Extrain.

Oh, puh - leeeaze!!!

Go dream your dreams and believe that your beliefs are beyond challenge. You're as intransigent as anyone here, and that says a lot.

I won't be bothered with you any more.

Samm

Why on earth are you so upset?? I am not criticizing your answers. I am critiquing your misunderstanding of the actual problem Moore is addressing. So the discussion hasn't even got started.

It is clear that you are not actually understanding the context of this new type of anti-skeptical argument since Moore is a contemporary philosopher well-acquainted with even the most die-hard modern BIV skeptics such as Keith Lehrer, and his arguments are well-known throughout all skeptic literature. So Moore is not as near as dense as you so conveniently take him to be. It is much more likely you don't understand the problem at stake than that Moore was that stupid. Be somewhat sensible and just admit when don't understand something. There is nothing wrong with asking questions all the time. I know I sure do it!!

ACB

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:52 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;144175 wrote:
Rather, the skeptic is claiming you do not know that you are not a BIV

I suspect that that is what kennethamy meant, but that he inadvertently omitted the second "not".

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 09:13 PM ----------

Extrain;144016 wrote:
But separating (1) and (2) as if they were completely distinct propositions is an arbitrarily stipulated distinction that is invented to work on behalf of Berkelians. The reason is that the commonsense view is that the following statement is analytic, and hence, necessarily true.

(3) All solid objects are material.

So when I kick the rock, I am demonstrating that all solid objects are material. Hence, it is an argument against Berkeley who denies the truth of (3).

But how can a physical demonstration confirm the truth of an analytic statement?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.08 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 12:00:36