On The Contrast Between Appearance And Reality

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jeeprs

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:39 pm
@Pythagorean,
Oh yes Dennett. He is one of my favourites. If he lived around here I would ask him over for tea.

(not.)

Boston Review:Orr Reviews "Darwin's Dangerous Idea" by Daniel Dennett

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:42 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;136183 wrote:
Oh yes Dennett. He is one of my favourites. If he lived around here I would ask him over for tea.

(not.)

I am sorry you think that people you disagree with cannot write things worth reading. That is too bad. Do you talk only with people who think as you do? Called "confirmation bias" in some circles.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:46 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:
Is it dubious or false simply because kenneth believes it is dubious and false? How can the origin of the process of evolution be unknown and yet somehow you know? How can you know what is unknown?

If you read more closely (your mistake earlier), you would know no one here has said they knew the cause of evolution.

You are looking for a fight my friend, and you're consistently finding one because you misinterpret posts. It isn't your metaphysical beliefs that instigate others to be rude, let that be known.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;136184 wrote:
I am sorry you think that people you disagree with cannot write things worth reading. That is too bad. Do you talk only with people who think as you do? Called "confirmation bias" in some circles.

Well I spend a lot of time talking to you, which is kind of counter-factual for that proposal, I would have thought.

And, for the record, I can't stand Dennett, I think he is an intellectual pygmy who only gets attention because of the nature of the times we live in. In a generation nobody will remember the name.

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:51 pm
@jeeprs,
They are attempting to impose a censorship upon discussion of metaphysical issues. They are not recognizable as philosophers, they are ideologues. Reason with them only goes so far; they substitute reasonable argumentation with prejudice and enforce their prejudices by any means necessary.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:52 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;136189 wrote:
Well I spend a lot of time talking to you, which is kind of counter-factual for that proposal, I would have thought.

And, for the record, I can't stand Dennett, I think he is an intellectual pygmy who only gets attention because of the nature of the times we live in. In a generation nobody will remember the name.

Yes. That is peculiar. Maybe there is hope even among the most benighted.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:53 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;136191 wrote:
They are attempting to impose a censorship upon discussion of metaphysical issues. They are not recognizable as philosophers, they are ideologues. Reason with them only goes so far; they substitute reasonable argumentation with prejudice and enforce their prejudices by any means necessary.

Please stop this "them and us" thing. It's getting quite childish.

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:55 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136188 wrote:
If you read more closely (your mistake earlier), you would know no one here has said they knew the cause of evolution.

I didn't say that anyone knew the cause of evolution. You don't know what you are talking about because you have fallen behind in the thread, Zetherin.

Zetherin;136188 wrote:
You are looking for a fight my friend, and you're consistently finding one because you misinterpret posts. It isn't your metaphysical beliefs that instigate others to be rude, let that be known.

No one has really been rude to me except for you and you have been consistently rude to me in other threads as well as others.

Please tell me specifically what I have misinterpreted.

--

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:55 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;136191 wrote:

Who?..........................

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;136197 wrote:
Who?..........................

Is it a reasonable argument to make to say that idea and mind are related to the unknown origin of human evolution?

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:00 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:
No one has really been rude to me except for you and you have been consistently rude to me in other threads as well as others.

Please tell me specifically what I have misinterpreted.

I told you what you needed to hear, the truth. Perhaps I could have worded it nicer, you're right. I'm sorry for being rude.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 08:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Is it a reasonable argument to make to say that idea and mind are related to the unknown origin of human evolution?

If he says "no", he is "imposing a censorship", and "enforcing his prejudices"? Not rude - these are things you typed, my friend. And I think it is pretty clear you were referring to kennethamy and I (if not, please explain).

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:04 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;136200 wrote:

It is not an argument at all, so it is not a reasonable argument? The statement you just wrote is far too vague for a reply. What does "related" mean?

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 08:05 PM ----------

Zetherin;136201 wrote:
I told you what you needed to hear, the truth. Perhaps I could have worded it nicer, you're right. I'm sorry for being rude.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 08:01 PM ----------

If he says "no", he is "imposing a censorship", and "enforcing his prejudices"? Not rude - these are things you typed, my friend. And I think it is pretty clear you were referring to kennethamy and I (if not, please explain).

He was? A harmless little fuzz-ball like me? (I don't know about you!)

jeeprs

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:09 pm
@Pythagorean,
One one side, we have: mind is solely a product of the brain, which is solely the product of an evolutionary process, which is basically material in nature.

On the other side we have: Mind is somehow immanent in nature, and is a creative force which in some respect determines the outcome of evolution, rather than just being a product of evolution. This is not a 'creationist' or 'fundamentalist religious' view, but is more like the view of the Greek philosophers, such as Plotinus, who was quoted above.

Can we debate that?

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:11 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;136213 wrote:
One one side, we have: mind is solely a product of the brain, which is solely the product of an evolutionary process, which is basically material in nature.

On the other side we have: Mind is somehow immanent in nature, and is a creative force which in some respect determines the outcome of evolution, rather than just being a product of evolution. This is not a 'creationist' or 'fundamentalist religious' view, but is more like the view of the Greek philosophers, such as Plotinus, who was quoted above.

Can we debate that?

Both sides, as you describe them, sound eerily vague.

Do we have to debate that?

jeeprs

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:13 pm
@Pythagorean,
That is what I thought we were debating. But of course it is entirely up to you or anyone else who wants to contribute.

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:15 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;136207 wrote:
It is not an argument at all, so it is not a reasonable argument? The statement you just wrote is far too vague for a reply. What does "related" mean?

I am asking whether you think it possible for someone to make a reasonable argument regarding the origin of human evolution that states that this origin exhibited some variety of intelligence? Would it be reasonable to say some variety of intelligence can be ascribed to your 'natural laws'?

--

Ahab

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:20 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;136150 wrote:
You must make the distinction here. I did not say that mind or idea are involved in the process of evolution.

I think you need to clarify what you mean by your original question.

You said:
"'mind' or 'idea' are involved in the coming to be of the evolutionary process."

Do you mean by this that a superpowerful being with a mind planned the process of evolution?

Or do you mean that this mind directly caused physical changes so that the process of evolution began?

Or doe you mean something else? And what is this something else you mean?

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:35 pm
@Ahab,
Ahab;136226 wrote:
I think you need to clarify what you mean by your original question.

You said:
"'mind' or 'idea' are involved in the coming to be of the evolutionary process."

Do you mean by this that a superpowerful being with a mind planned the process of evolution?

Or do you mean that this mind directly caused physical changes so that the process of evolution began?

Or doe you mean something else? And what is this something else you mean?

You need to furnish us with the full quote. I am not stating that 'mind' or 'idea' are involved in the origin of the evolutionary process. I am asking whether such a question is a reasonable or unreasonable one to make.

I am asking is such a question reasonable or not. I am not asserting for the moment that that is the case.

-

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:36 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;136239 wrote:
You need to furnish us with the full quote. I am not stating that 'mind' or 'idea' are involved in the origin of the evolutionary process. I am asking whether such a question is a reasonable or unreasonable one to make.

I am asking is such a question reasonable or not. I am not asserting for the moment that that is the case.

-

You misunderstand again. He is asking for clarification. Don't you get it? People aren't understanding you. That's the problem. No one can answer whether what you're saying is reasonable or not, because you aren't making yourself clear. What does "'idea' or 'mind' are involved in the origin of the evolutionary process" mean?

And now when I tell you to clarify, you'll probably think I'm out to get you again. Oh dear :nonooo:

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:38 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;136219 wrote:
IWould it be reasonable to say some variety of intelligence can be ascribed to your 'natural laws'?

--

Of course not. how can laws be either intelligent or non-intelligent? They are no persons.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 07:32:27