ignore

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

HexHammer

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:55 pm
@xris,
Imo the ignore feature is very forgiving, in that way it allows you to view ignored person's posts, just by clicking "view post".

It does indeed happen that I have found an ignored person regaining some sensibility, such as K/A, at first I got utterly annoyed with his usual "thruth this ..truth that", but it seems he got over it.

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 07:11 pm
@xris,
It appears like I still have nameless on my ignore list from my days as an early poster on the forum and constantly ragging on his use of unnecessary apostrophes. I also had boagie on my ignore list for because I grew tired of his posts. The former quit the forum and the latter is banned.

Now I don't, and won't use the feature. A moderator probably should not be allowed to ignore members.

HexHammer

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 07:32 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;151584 wrote:
Now I don't, and won't use the feature. A moderator probably should not be allowed to ignore members.
As I see it, moderators has to keep themselfs sane and not grow too bored of their work too quickly, by ignoreing babble and other trival annoying stuff.

However they must enforce their office and moderate an ignored person, should it be nessesary.

mister kitten

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:08 pm
@xris,
To be honest, I didn't know about the 'ignore' feature until a month ago or so.

If this forum wasn't as well-kept as it is the only bugs I would add would be spammers/trolls, but I've rarely seen any of that nonsense.

bmcreider

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:09 pm
@xris,
I have never and will never use ignore. Maybe I am too nice, I am told that often.

But I probably haven't been around as much to really pick any fights, either. This is a forum, not a competition.

Emil

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:34 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;151578 wrote:
I don't know about that. Sometimes, I think it is as you say, but some people are very obnoxious and stupid, so I can see someone wanting to avoid accidentally reading their annoying posts. And someone might use the feature for a time, and then shut it off after a while. It is, after all, reversible, so that one can remove people from one's ignore list as well.

It does, however, prevent one from seeing if an improvement in posting occurs, just as you say. But such lightning striking is not really very common.

I personally have never used the ignore feature here, but I would not automatically condemn someone for using it with some people. Of course, only a fool would ignore my posts. But since I do not mind not interacting with fools, it is fine with me if they put me on their ignore lists.

I use it as a form of controlling myself so I don't accidentally read posts I think are of low-value to me because of the interests I have and the content of the posts.

As for detecting an improvement, there is a feature called "view post" (as mentioned above), so if I occasionally read a post or two by a user on my ignore list, which I do, then I probably won't miss an improvement in average post quality by a such user.

---------- Post added 04-14-2010 at 07:38 AM ----------

bmcreider;151669 wrote:
I have never and will never use ignore. Maybe I am too nice, I am told that often.

But I probably haven't been around as much to really pick any fights, either. This is a forum, not a competition.

You'd be surprised (maybe) of how many people think that forums are competitions where you can pick a fight with something over who can make the smartest replies, most hidden personal insults (that mods won't edit) etc.

The other day a user responded to a post I made as a response to his post, and asked me where the objection was. The individual was apparently under the impression that every response to your posts contains an objection or disagreement of some kind. It does not, but it is perhaps sadly mostly the case. In this case I was merely providing additional reading for those that might be interesting in what he was talking about.

I wrote an essay about discussions on the internet, you may want to read it.

Extrain

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:48 pm
@Emil,
Emil;151672 wrote:
I use it as a form of controlling myself so I don't accidentally read posts I think are of low-value to me because of the interests I have and the content of the posts.

As for detecting an improvement, there is a feature called "view post" (as mentioned above), so if I occasionally read a post or two by a user on my ignore list, which I do, then I probably won't miss an improvement in average post quality by a such user.

You'd be surprised (maybe) of how many people think that forums are competitions where you can pick a fight with something over who can make the smartest replies, most hidden personal insults (that mods won't edit) etc.

Real engagment with philosophy is not about protecting your views from criticism by censoring other's ideas which happen to be contrary to your own--particularly if you are posting publicly.

Practicing philosophy is most often a communal affair especially within the academic community at large. And if you want your ideas to be taken seriously, which it seems you do by writing essays for everyone to read, then no advance in your ability to think critically will ever improve if you are always fearing someone else critiquing your views.

If you don't want people to challenge your ideas, then don't bother posting them for everyone to read. It's that simple.

Jebediah

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:03 am
@xris,
I don't have anyone on ignore, even though there are a few people who's posts I always skip over. I guess I consider "not letting petty stuff annoy you" to be a skill that's worth maintaining :bigsmile:

wayne

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:12 am
@xris,
I can't really imagine finding a reason to use the ignore function. My computer does have an off switch. Not everyone in the world agrees with me and vice versa, and thats what makes life interesting.

" Seek to understand rather than be understood"
Dream Theater

xris

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 04:10 am
@Emil,
Emil;151571 wrote:

These are on my ignore list. Feel free to add me to your ignore list too if you are on mine.

Noted and complied with. I feel in good company.

---------- Post added 04-14-2010 at 05:16 AM ----------

emil is not to be ignored it appears ..why is that?

Amperage

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 04:40 am
@xris,
I would personally never use the ignore feature as I simply empathize with being on the other side of the fence. I don't want my comments to be ignored therefore I don't believe its right to ignore others comments.

Some posts are not worth responding to but how can any post not be worth reading? And how can you justify that position? Afterall, you have no clue what they may have said!

If someone has the ability to get under your skin enough for you to want to essentially eliminate that person from existence(this would be equivalent to the ignore feature on an internet forum I would say), then I think one needs to examine ones own mindset

xris

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 04:57 am
@Amperage,
I find it really childish and tells you more about the person who does the ignoring rather than the ignored. You usually find they have a long list of the ignored. Can you imagine in real life being so damned petty or expressing your ignorance in such a manner? I'm ashamed I have reacted to certain information...

Emil

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 05:05 am
@xris,
xris;151738 wrote:
I find it really childish and tells you more about the person who does the ignoring rather than the ignored. You usually find they have a long list of the ignored. Can you imagine in real life being so damned petty or expressing your ignorance in such a manner? I'm ashamed I have reacted to certain information...

It is for such posts as this that you are on the ignore list. Though I don't recall why you initially got there. Maybe it had to do with language? I think it had. It was the language reform thread where you failed to keep to the topic in a reasonable way and spent too much time insulting me. The last one is also especially the case with E.

xris

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 05:15 am
@Emil,
Emil;151739 wrote:
It is for such posts as this that you are on the ignore list. Though I don't recall why you initially got there. Maybe it had to do with language? I think it had. It was the language reform thread where you failed to keep to the topic in a reasonable way and spent too much time insulting me. The last one is also especially the case with E.

I dont recall insulting you, if I did I apologize. Its your list, its quite extensive and those you list in my opinion are never insulting, well not to me. Its what you call insulting,that might be the problem. If I recall you were defensive and very dogmatic but it never occurred for me to ignore you. My last post, if you think the post refers to you then it would appear offensive

Emil

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 05:15 am
@Amperage,
Amperage;151734 wrote:
I would personally never use the ignore feature as I simply empathize with being on the other side of the fence. I don't want my comments to be ignored therefore I don't believe its right to ignore others comments.

Some posts are not worth responding to but how can any post not be worth reading? And how can you justify that position? Afterall, you have no clue what they may have said!

If someone has the ability to get under your skin enough for you to want to essentially eliminate that person from existence(this would be equivalent to the ignore feature on an internet forum I would say), then I think one needs to examine ones own mindset

You may continue with your subtle insults (last sentence) but if you do, you will also be put on the ignore list, depending on the frequency, of course, and the otherwise quality of your posts. If you post many interesting things or just a good deal of them but sometimes insult me, I may not find it enough to put you on the ignore list. This is the case with U. (A poster whose name I don't recall the spelling of.) He is a hot-head and not a good debater but he occasionally writes some very interesting things that I would not like to miss. So he is not on the ignore list.

As you may have noticed some posters post posts that are not worth for me (or you) reading, that is, irrelevant to my (or yours, keep insetting this) interests, and so it would be practically irrational to read them for me, wasting time better spent on reading posts (or books, or doing something else) that are of value to me. And since pretty much all posts that a poster posts are of the same quality due to the characteristics of the poster, there is often good practical reason to not read a single post from a certain poster. Of course, exceptions may be given and as you can see above, I gave xris a chance again (I read a few of his posts and responded) but he didn't use it for anything useful (to me) so far.

There is no equivalence between ignoring someone and wanting to "eliminate that person from existence". What kind of rubbish is that? The effect may be the same for me (that is, I don't read their posts though I sometimes do so the effect is not really the same), but it is not for others. Recall that others may find it in their interests to read posts by a poster that it is not in my interest to read posts from. Additionally, eliminating (that is, killing) a poster (which is a person or more persons) very probably has the effect of harming innocent persons. I have an interest (a moral one) in not harming the innocent. If you meant something else, I don't know what you meant.

---------- Post added 04-14-2010 at 01:17 PM ----------

xris;151741 wrote:
I dont recall insulting you, if I did I apologize. Its your list, its quite extensive and those you list in my opinion are never insulting, well not to me. Its what you call insulting,that might be the problem. If I recall you were defensive and very dogmatic but it never occurred for me to ignore you. My last post, if you think the post refers to you then it would appear offensive

I think it does (calling a person childish is an insult in many cultures, though not in others, depends on context too), but you probably did not want to write my name as that would be against forum rules. But insulting people in the way you did (if I'm right), is harder for the moderators to spot (still arguably against the rules) and so less risky for you.

Amperage

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 09:56 am
@Emil,
Emil;151742 wrote:
You may continue with your subtle insults (last sentence) but if you do, you will also be put on the ignore list, depending on the frequency, of course, and the otherwise quality of your posts. If you post many interesting things or just a good deal of them but sometimes insult me, I may not find it enough to put you on the ignore list. This is the case with U. (A poster whose name I don't recall the spelling of.) He is a hot-head and not a good debater but he occasionally writes some very interesting things that I would not like to miss. So he is not on the ignore list.
for the record, I was not referring to you. And I apologize because I didn't intend it as a slant per say. I don't think that sentence necessarily has a negative connotation by the way and I often have a tendency to try and be OVERLY cordial to everyone; to a fault. I think there is a respectable quality in having either the "know how", the wisdom, the gumption, or the confidence to ignore something.

I feel I've benefited from reading your posts on more than one occasion and I would hope you wouldn't put me on your ignore list as I think it would be ME who would be missing out on your insight.

I enjoy being here because ideas that I take for granted are challenged. I am forced to understand the deeper reason for why I think a certain way or hold a certain belief, and, thanks to this fact, I've certainty changed my thinking on a lot of things and also gotten a deeper understanding of others.

There are many issues which, in my opinion, are quite important to my life on earth, maybe not in a day to day sense, but in the sense of living out my existence to the fullest. Some say ignorance is bliss and from a certain perspective they are correct, but my personality type has always been one of wanting to know more, wanting to go deeper. The point being that many of these type issues I really don't get the opportunity to cultivate amongst a group of people in my daily life. It's only in places like this that such things are meaningfully and respectfully discussed. And without as many people as possible contributing to my own thoughts, I may never know that I never knew something.......and to me that is a scary thought.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 10:37 am
@Amperage,
I really do not see why the ignore function is an issue. It is a common function in most forums and chat rooms. I often use it in chat rooms simply to clear my screen. I don't use it here because I can scroll over posts more easily. I would find it interesting to make a couple of graphs. One with the ages of the people on the forum another with the number of years they have habitually used chat room or forum sites then compare it with how rude they think the ignore function is. I bet we would find a correlation between these things.

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 10:57 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;151845 wrote:
I really do not see why the ignore function is an issue.

It is because people get upset over practically everything. No matter what you say or do, there is probably someone who isn't going to like it, and online, people generally have no qualms about expressing their dislike of whatever it is that one has said or done.

GoshisDead;151845 wrote:
It is a common function in most forums and chat rooms. I often use it in chat rooms simply to clear my screen. I don't use it here because I can scroll over posts more easily. I would find it interesting to make a couple of graphs. One with the ages of the people on the forum another with the number of years they have habitually used chat room or forum sites then compare it with how rude they think the ignore function is. I bet we would find a correlation between these things.

It is funny that people think using the ignore function is rude, when, as has been pointed out already in this thread, it is often used in order to avoid rude people.

If someone does not want to be on other people's ignore lists, my advice is to refrain from being rude, and you will probably be on very few such lists.

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:03 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;151849 wrote:
It is because people get upset over practically everything. No matter what you say or do, there is probably someone who isn't going to like it, and online, people generally have no qualms about expressing their dislike of whatever it is that one has said or done.

It is funny that people think using the ignore function is rude, when, as has been pointed out already in this thread, it is often used in order to avoid rude people.

If someone does not want to be on other people's ignore lists, my advice is to refrain from being rude, and you will probably be on very few such lists.

Pyrrho:
You don't think it would be interesting to do a little sociological research about this? It would shed some light on several interesting things. Generation gap, internet culture, internet communication pragmatics, internet usage ideaologies etc... maybe it wouldn't be seriously helpful information in the grand scheme of things but I've known people who have defended PhD's successfully for more inane research.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:06 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;151849 wrote:

It can be both rude and used to avoid rude people. Anonymity allows people to say things on this forum they would not even think of saying personally, or if they were know. Why not make it a rule never to say on the forum what you would not say face to face?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:31:45