The problem with perspectivism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Satan phil

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 02:21 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;72161 wrote:
And we can relate your "dark" analogy. Say I said, "Dark has no reference to color". Certainly you could say that I was wrong, as it appears the statement is overarching (In other words, it appears I'm speaking about all things dark). And, as you mentioned, dark can be in reference to color and emotion, among other things.

I never said anything about references. He's a correct analogy:

Me: "Things can be dark in full light"
You: "No, if there is light then it can't be dark"

We're using two different definitions so you haven't proven me wrong.

Me: "Opinions (subjective values) are not based on fact"
You: "Opinions (beliefs) can be based on fact"

Again, you haven't proven me wrong. It's a fallacy of ambiguity to claim otherwise.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 02:38 pm
@Satan phil,
I felt you were being misleading, that's all. And clearly I'm not the only one that felt this way, as I believe kennethamy was also noting how opinions can be based on fact.

It was a misunderstanding, and it's not a big deal - I understand what you meant now. Thanks for the clarification.

Satan phil

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 02:49 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;72173 wrote:
I felt you were being misleading, that's all.

Well I'm sorry you felt that way but that was your mistake. All you had to do was read my previous posts.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 04:30 pm
@nameless,
nameless;72091 wrote:
Really? Are people/humans the only Conscious Perspectives in the Universe?

Who else did you have in mind?

nameless

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72191 wrote:
Who else did you have in mind?

I think it a rather vain conceit to assume that humans are the only Conscious Perspectives.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:18 pm
@nameless,
nameless;72278 wrote:
I think it a rather vain conceit to assume that humans are the only Conscious Perspectives.

Fine. But, let's suppose that we let the evidence we have guide what we think we know, shall we? It may be there is other life, but so far as we know, there is none. Now, starting from there, is it not true that there was the Sun, Moon, and stars, before there was consciousness. (Of course, even if there is other consciousness, that is no reason to believe that objects did not exist before they existed too. Isn't that right. So the issue does not even depend on whether there is other consciousness beside human consciousness).

richrf

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:42 pm
@kennethamy,
This is an interesting article on chimpanzees and consciousness. There are others.

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Zoo chimp 'planned' stone attacks

Rich

nameless

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 08:50 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72288 wrote:
Fine. But, let's suppose that we let the evidence we have guide what we think we know, shall we?

Isn't that what we already do? I do.

Quote:
It may be there is other life, but so far as we know, there is none.

What sort of measuring device of what is and is not 'life' do you employ, that you would exclude, for example, every species other than the human? Is a horse not 'life' according to your method of discrimination/determination? A fish? A tree? Nothing but homo sapiens, according to your discriminations are 'living'?
I don't know about you (and the 'we' to whom you refer), but I and most of the other human inhabitants of this planet accept that there is other 'life' besides 'us people'.

Quote:
Now, starting from there, is it not true that there was the Sun, Moon, and stars, before there was consciousness.

There is absolutely no evidence in support your implied assumption. It would be, at best, a 'belief'.
First, there is no 'before' Consciousness.
'Time' (linearity/sequence) is a concept within the 'ground' of Consciousness, as is also the concept of wholism.
And no, there is not anything that exists that is not perceived.
Perceiver and perceived are one and the same; without the one there is no other.

Quote:
(Of course, even if there is other consciousness, that is no reason to believe that objects did not exist before they existed too. Isn't that right. So the issue does not even depend on whether there is other consciousness beside human consciousness).

I'm having difficulty deciphering your intent here.
Not anything exists that is not perceived by Conscious Perspective. ('One' Consciousness, a multitude of unique Perspectives (us)!) Such a 'perception' is it's existence!
There is no plurality of Consciousness/Mind. It is monism, not a dualism, not contextual.
What you refer to as 'objects', I would refer to as 'perceived/conceived objects', as there is no evidence of the existence of anything commonly called 'objects' outside the mind, and quantum theory and millennial mysticism and philosophy (critical thought) come to the same 'converging' understanding.
There is no evidence, even, of an 'out there' out there!
You seem to be giving 'independent life' to what you perceive as 'autonomously existing' rocks and water, 'non-life'!

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 09:47 pm
@nameless,
nameless;72310 wrote:
Isn't that what we already do? I do.

What sort of measuring device of what is and is not 'life' do you employ, that you would exclude, for example, every species other than the human? Is a horse not 'life' according to your method of discrimination/determination? A fish? A tree? Nothing but homo sapiens, according to your discriminations are 'living'?
I don't know about you (and the 'we' to whom you refer), but I and most of the other human inhabitants of this planet accept that there is other 'life' besides 'us people'.

There is absolutely no evidence in support your implied assumption. It would be, at best, a 'belief'.
First, there is no 'before' Consciousness.
'Time' (linearity/sequence) is a concept within the 'ground' of Consciousness, as is also the concept of wholism.
And no, there is not anything that exists that is not perceived.
Perceiver and perceived are one and the same; without the one there is no other.

I'm having difficulty deciphering your intent here.
Not anything exists that is not perceived by Conscious Perspective. ('One' Consciousness, a multitude of unique Perspectives (us)!) Such a 'perception' is it's existence!
There is no plurality of Consciousness/Mind. It is monism, not a dualism, not contextual.
What you refer to as 'objects', I would refer to as 'perceived/conceived objects', as there is no evidence of the existence of anything commonly called 'objects' outside the mind, and quantum theory and millennial mysticism and philosophy (critical thought) come to the same 'converging' understanding.
There is no evidence, even, of an 'out there' out there!
You seem to be giving 'independent life' to what you perceive as 'autonomously existing' rocks and water, 'non-life'!

I am afraid that what you and scientists believe is not the same. Scientists believe that the Earth, the Moon, the Sun, and the stars, considerably predate the existence of human beings, and therefore (as far as we know) consciousness. So, if you don't mind, I am going along with science, and not you. I hope that does not offend you, but, there it is. Besides, if Earth did not predate people, how come that people began to exist on Earth? Hard to figure that one out. I suppose you think that Earth and people came into existence at the very same time. What a fortunate coincidence that was!

nameless

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:53 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72331 wrote:
I am afraid that what you and scientists believe is not the same.

Neither I nor any good scientist has beliefs on the examined subject. We have thoughts, interpretations, Perspectives.
When you say "and scientists", are you referring to all scientists as implied? Are you refering to all but one? 40? 28? 13? And how many Perspectival variations within the 'inner sanctum of similar Perspective'?
Nah, I just dont think that you can support that statement as is. I'm happy to 'concede' that there are all sorts of Perspectives and that is one. Linear is difficult thing to transcend, but quantum says that we must.

Quote:
Scientists believe that the Earth, the Moon, the Sun, and the stars, considerably predate the existence of human beings, and therefore (as far as we know) consciousness.

Really?
Again you imply that humans are the only Conscious life in the universe. Again I ask, do you really think so?

Sorry, you are pulling this out of your... 'bag of trix'. It is not a verifiable or even supportable 'fact'. Maybe 150 years ago you statement about 'scientists' might be a bit truer...

There is no evidence of any 'causal' connection between humans and Consciousness.

And SOME scientists BELIEVE that there was a Jesus who walked on water. Belief is the stuff of religion, not science. Don't confuse them. Science is about evidence, experiment and 'thought', not 'belief'.

Quote:
So, if you don't mind, I am going along with science, and not you.

Go for it, catch up to cutting edge scientific and philosophical though and see what you find. The 'science' that you reference sounds like something from some backwater high school science class 40 years ago. Go for it! Do the work, ride the wave and apply your own critical thought to the up to date evidence. Enjoy!

Quote:
I hope that does not offend you, but, there it is.

I'm not looking for converts or to convince. If you have to go study and learn and use your critical thought to refute everything that i say, I sat, hot damn, go for it! Come to your own 'educated and informed and critically examined' understanding!
Why would I ever be offended that you would think for yourself! Or not?

Quote:
Besides, if Earth did not predate people, how come that people began to exist on Earth?

The question is answerable. But I really don't think that this is the thread.

Quote:
Hard to figure that one out.

Nah, it fits cleanly in my model.

Quote:
I suppose you think that Earth and people came into existence at the very same time.

Is that a question, or a statement of the state of your suppositions.

Quote:
What a fortunate coincidence that was!

Ah, a sarcastic dismissal, often a place where respectful and thoughtful discussions head 'south'.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 02:34 am
@nameless,
nameless;72390 wrote:
Neither I nor any good scientist has beliefs on the examined subject. We have thoughts, interpretations, Perspectives.
When you say "and scientists", are you referring to all scientists as implied? Are you refering to all but one? 40? 28? 13? And how many Perspectival variations within the 'inner sanctum of similar Perspective'?
Nah, I just dont think that you can support that statement as is. I'm happy to 'concede' that there are all sorts of Perspectives and that is one. Linear is difficult thing to transcend, but quantum says that we must.

Really?
Again you imply that humans are the only Conscious life in the universe. Again I ask, do you really think so?

Sorry, you are pulling this out of your... 'bag of trix'. It is not a verifiable or even supportable 'fact'. Maybe 150 years ago you statement about 'scientists' might be a bit truer...

There is no evidence of any 'causal' connection between humans and Consciousness.

And SOME scientists BELIEVE that there was a Jesus who walked on water. Belief is the stuff of religion, not science. Don't confuse them. Science is about evidence, experiment and 'thought', not 'belief'.

Go for it, catch up to cutting edge scientific and philosophical though and see what you find. The 'science' that you reference sounds like something from some backwater high school science class 40 years ago. Go for it! Do the work, ride the wave and apply your own critical thought to the up to date evidence. Enjoy!

I'm not looking for converts or to convince. If you have to go study and learn and use your critical thought to refute everything that i say, I sat, hot damn, go for it! Come to your own 'educated and informed and critically examined' understanding!
Why would I ever be offended that you would think for yourself! Or not?

The question is answerable. But I really don't think that this is the thread.

Nah, it fits cleanly in my model.

Is that a question, or a statement of the state of your suppositions.

Ah, a sarcastic dismissal, often a place where respectful and thoughtful discussions head 'south'.

So far as I know, the only conscious beings are people and (some) animals. If you have any further information, please let me hear of it.

Best estimate of the age of Earth is 4.5 billion years.
Best estimate for Genus Homo. 2.5 million years.
Best estimate for humans as we now know them is, 25,000 years.

You do the math.

nameless

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 02:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72398 wrote:
So far as I know, the only conscious beings are people and (some) animals. If you have any further information, please let me hear of it.

What we cannot know, not being in the heads of other species (we are all animalia) can well be infered from the evidence. A certain Consciousness can be infered when a horse walks 'around' a tree rather than into it. It seems more prudent to assume that all that we consider 'alive' is a Conscious Perspective, such as we. We have no evidence to refute that and it seems that science is finding 'life' everywhere they look, these days.

Quote:
Best estimate of the age of Earth is 4.5 billion years.
Best estimate for Genus Homo. 2.5 million years.
Best estimate for humans as we now know them is, 25,000 years.

You do the math.

Your 'guestimates' are just that, an interpretation of some evidence from only one Perspective, a 'linear one'. There is no reason that an instantly created billion year old chunk of monkey butt cannot be, depending on Perspective, 'timeless' (no age at all) and a billion years old (in the concepts of the linear Perspectives who are interpreting it that way.
This complete Universe is made of timeless synchronously existing moments/percepts. Time and linearity are merely one Perspective. Science even dismisses 'time' (as no more than a 'local' attraction in the mind of the Perspective) and thus the 'actual antiquity' of anything. Everything exists in a timeless Now! Even billion year old monkey butts...

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:42 am
@nameless,
nameless;72400 wrote:
What we cannot know, not being in the heads of other species (we are all animalia) can well be infered from the evidence. A certain Consciousness can be infered when a horse walks 'around' a tree rather than into it. It seems more prudent to assume that all that we consider 'alive' is a Conscious Perspective, such as we. We have no evidence to refute that and it seems that science is finding 'life' everywhere they look, these days.

Your 'guestimates' are just that, an interpretation of some evidence from only one Perspective, a 'linear one'. There is no reason that an instantly created billion year old chunk of monkey butt cannot be, depending on Perspective, 'timeless' (no age at all) and a billion years old (in the concepts of the linear Perspectives who are interpreting it that way.
This complete Universe is made of timeless synchronously existing moments/percepts. Time and linearity are merely one Perspective. Science even dismisses 'time' (as no more than a 'local' attraction in the mind of the Perspective) and thus the 'actual antiquity' of anything. Everything exists in a timeless Now! Even billion year old monkey butts...

As I said, it is what scientists say, so I am going along with that. From the perspective of an earthworm it may be different. But, then, earthworms are not scientists, last I heard. I am afraid that my perspective is irrevocably linear and scientific. For that is the perspective that gives us knowledge, and I am rather in favor of knowledge.

nameless

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 03:51 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72433 wrote:
As I said, it is what scientists say, so I am going along with that.

I guess that if you need to follow the thoughts of someone else, one can always find someone (one 'scientist' or another; for every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert!) that will qualify as a 'leader'.
It takes less energy to simply accept the thoughts of supposed authorities than to think for oneself. There is nothing 'wrong' with that, we do as we can.

Quote:
From the perspective of an earthworm it may be different.

Well! (waves a paper flag) Finally, an admission that perhaps something besides humans can be (alive!, much less) a Conscious Perspective also. Progress!!
The only 'problem' with Perspective, is thinking that there is one. (a bone for the OP)

Now, if it is true (and it can well be argued) that the entire definition of who we are is the sum-total of every perception of everyone that has ever perceived us, how impossible to fully know 'self' without including whatever/however we are perceived by the lowly earthworm.
This reality insures that we can never 'know' more than the tiniest fraction of who we are 'in toto', in direct violation of the dictates (believed whispers) of the ego.

Quote:
But, then, earthworms are not scientists, last I heard.

Perhaps there are 'scientists' among earthworms. If there is something like a brain, perhaps there is something like thought, and hence, perhaps earthworm scientists and philosophers...

Quote:
I am afraid that my perspective is irrevocably linear and scientific.

If you insist. You can bit and piece together theories and Perspectives from the world of science to support any particular linear Perspective; just like piecing bits, here and there, from the bible to support anything one desires, from love to genocide... Don't tell me, though, that the entire bible, in context, can only be interpreted in one way, 'your' way.
No one can argue youPerspective, as it, as are all others, is a feature of the complete Reality/Universe!

Quote:
For that is the perspective that gives us knowledge, and I am rather in favor of knowledge.

Okay, I understand that in order to gain (a specifically desired) 'knowledge' (justification/rationalization for what we 'already (feel that we) know', rather than an open ended desire for 'truth' wherever it might lead..., for instance), a sigular source Perspective might well suffice. I find that the more Perspectives experienced/understood, the greater the understanding (as opposed to 'knowledge'), the 'wider' the Perspective.
Personally, I value 'understanding' rather then 'knowledge'. I find my truth in "the more I understand, the less I know".
Zhnort!

And before hauling out the old "scientists say this or that in support of 'me'!, if there is a 'scientist' that you can actually name and present his thoughts that speak well your thoughts as well, feel free to present it. We can then, if you like, critically examine your 'evidence' together.
But, ultimately, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' Perspective. All are features of Reality/the Universe!

Zetherin

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 04:19 pm
@hue-man,
nameless wrote:
Okay, I understand that in order to gain (a specifically desired) 'knowledge' (justification/rationalization for what we 'already (feel that we) know', rather than an open ended desire for 'truth' wherever it might lead..., for instance), a sigular source Perspective might well suffice. I find that the more Perspectives experienced/understood, the greater the understanding (as opposed to 'knowledge'), the 'wider' the Perspective.

The way you use language is odd. You consistently use apostrophes before and after those words you feel aren't descriptive or clear enough on their own. The apostrophes appear to be a buffer of sorts, allowing you some kind of leeway while you articulate your thoughts. You capitalize certain words, such as "Reality", "Perspective" and "Universe", without really explaining why, and you indent certain phrases or notions for seemingly greater pronouncement. Unfortunately, I rarely quite understand why you choose those things to be pronounced. In the end, I find the majority of what you type vague and very hard to understand. I think I'd need some kind of handbook in order to decipher your writings.

I'm not attacking you by any means, it just fascinates me. Please don't take offense to this. I have some conceptualization of the notions you speak of, and most of it appears interesting.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:38 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;72543 wrote:
The way you use language is odd. You consistently use apostrophes before and after those words you feel aren't descriptive or clear enough on their own. The apostrophes appear to be a buffer of sorts, allowing you some kind of leeway while you articulate your thoughts. You capitalize certain words, such as "Reality", "Perspective" and "Universe", without really explaining why, and you indent certain phrases or notions for seemingly greater pronouncement. Unfortunately, I rarely quite understand why you choose those things to be pronounced. In the end, I find the majority of what you type vague and very hard to understand. I think I'd need some kind of handbook in order to decipher your writings.

I'm not attacking you by any means, it just fascinates me. Please don't take offense to this. I have some conceptualization of the notions you speak of, and most of it appears interesting.

A lot of people put words into what are called, "scarequotes". Scarequotes" are supposed to indicate that the word between them is being used in some unusual way. For example, I might write that Joe thinks he is very "intelligent" to indicate that I am being sarcastic, and that I really mean the opposite of what I said. In fact, scarequotes in writing, are a kind of surrogate for a tone of voice in speaking, which we would all recognize. For example, in speaking we might use "intelligent" in a sarcastic tone of voice.

But sometimes people use scarequotes to indicate that they are not using the word in the usual sense, but they leave people to wonder in what sense they are using the word. So all the reader knows is that the writer does not mean what the word means in its usual sense. So he is left in the dark. It is not very good communication. And, worse, sometimes the writer himself is not clear in his own mind what he wants ot indicate by the scarequotes. He feels (and that's the operative word, "feels") that he is indicating some not quite usual meaning, but he, himself, does not know what it is he is indicating. So, in fact, nothing is really going on except a vague feeling on the part of the writer, and puzzlement on the part of the reader. And, this often takes place on forums like this when rather vague terms are use (as they are often used in philosophy) and a person may want to convey a feeling, rather than a thought.

Capital letters when there is no grammatical need for them (as at the beginning of a sentence) also are a puzzle to decode, as you note. Sometimes they are used to mock the concept the word means. So, some people may write the word, "truth" with a capital 'T' (Truth) to indicate that they think the the idea or concept of truth is defective or silly in some way or other. Or even that there is no such thing as truth. And, again, as with scarequotes, people use capitals where they do not belong to indicate some kind of feeling rather than any clear thought.

Both the practices you mention are, I think, bad practices, since they hinder communication rather than facilitate it. But, there it is, anyway.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:03 pm
@hue-man,
I never heard of the term "scarequotes", but I've been looking for a term that can be used to explain exactly what you stated. Thanks - added to vocabulary!

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:29 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;72570 wrote:
I never heard of the term "scarequotes", but I've been looking for a term that can be used to explain exactly what you stated. Thanks - added to vocabulary!

Yes. I once was in a restaurant and wanted to go to the toilet, but I found one door marked, with scarequotes, "Men", and the other, marked with scarequotes, "Ladies", so I didn't know what the hell to do, and I waited until I got home.

nameless

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 01:26 am
@Zetherin,
Hello Zetherin, I'd be happy to elucidate some possible 'reasons to this madness';

Zetherin;72543 wrote:
The way you use language is odd. You consistently use apostrophes before and after those words you feel aren't descriptive or clear enough on their own.

Yes. If I were using a word that is right from the dictionary, I wouldn't use the semi-quotes. You seem, so far, to understand the reasoning for their use.

Quote:
The apostrophes appear to be a buffer of sorts, allowing you some kind of leeway while you articulate your thoughts.

I like that, can I use it? *__-
In a way, you are very insightfully correct as to my usage. They give the word some 'wiggle room' (I also seem to use em to identify 'semi-quotes', hence the name) that many Perspectives that perceive differently can still translate into their 'world-view' (don't know why I used em there, but it must be ok... no 'why' (used for accent, another reason) just is.
Perhaps my usage of those words will become clearer on the thoughtful reading of my posts. Sometimes a 'word' just isn't large enough to contain a particular concept.
Also, there is a new world, we are on the cusp of a Golden Age of Consciousness, a whole new 'common' (like the hump of a bell curve) world view of 'reality' (wiggle room). New world views require attendant new language to describe it. Not 'cause and effect' but mutual arising features of the same event.

Quote:
You capitalize certain words, such as "Reality"
I use that when intending an 'ultimate', as opposed to the near infinite 'realities' of unique individual Conscious Perspectives, us, that are features of 'Reality'. (semis for emphasis)

Quote:
"Perspective"

If ever there is an appropriate word/definition/description that cuts right to the essence of

who we are, it is 'Perspective' ('Conscious Perspective' aka 'Soul').

It is by Conscious Perspective of Mind that 'existence' is.
Conscious Perspective is non-different then that which is perceived. Observer and observed

are a 'monism'.
So, out of respect and in reference to this 'position' and understanding, I capitalize the 'P'.

We name our illusory and fleeting bodies, we name or cars and toys and everything under

the sun, but without Perspective, there would be no existence to 'name', just

undifferentiated potential, chaos, Mind/Consciousness (all there ever is or can be anyway!).

It is by us 'Perspectives' that Consciousness can 'know' Mind.
In a sense, 'we' Perspectives are [god's or whatever you like] 'enlightenment', where

Consciousness (as discovered by QM) can be aware of Mind.
In that context, I find it worthy of a capital 'P', no?

"The complete universe, at any moment, is fully defined/described as the sum-total of all

Perspectives." -Book of Fudd (4:20)
That in itself deserves a capital 'P'!

There is method to the madness. Maybe.

Quote:
and "Universe",

Because it is 'One' (wiggle room and emphasis)! The sum-total of all of us!
I find that this unique critter also deserves a respectful capital 'P'.

Quote:
without really explaining why,

I do when respectfully asked, as you have.

Quote:
and you indent certain phrases or notions for seemingly greater pronouncement. Unfortunately, I rarely quite understand why you choose those things to be pronounced.

You need only ask. How sweet to the ego to find that someone reads one's writings sufficiently thoughtfully to even ask for such elucidation. My pleasure.

Quote:
In the end, I find the majority of what you type vague and very hard to understand.

It has to be, some of it, as I am pointing to something, quite often, that must be experienced to be understood at all. Definitions of 'red' do not convey what we are looking at to one who has been blind from birth. All the words are clumsy pointing fingers to where the 'red' (of 'this' experience) is happening... And I must use new language to do much of it. For instance, I use youPerspective because there is no 'you' that owns a Perspective, you are a Perspective. So the old 'you're perspective' becomes obsolete and youPerspective defines both the Perspective to which I refer, without the inherent linguistic and egoic fallacy of a something possessing something, and points to the fact that we are Perspectives, our 'original face'.

Quote:
I think I'd need some kind of handbook in order to decipher your writings.

I hope that this helps a bit. No "scare" semi-quotes here! *__-
Please, inquire anythime you feel a bit .. frustrated... with my honest attempts.

Quote:

No offence taken!
Quite the opposite, thanx for the interest and the respect.
Peace

kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 02:34 am
@nameless,
nameless;72647 wrote:

Yes. If I were using a word that is right from the dictionary, I wouldn't use the semi-quotes.

Semi-quotes and scarequotes are very different. Semi-quotes are just what the word says. A full quote is " , and a semi-quote is, '. See, a full quote consists of two inverted commas, and a semi-quote consists of just one inverted comma. The distinction is only typographical. But in the case of scarequotes, The distinction is both stylistic and semantic. Scarequotes indicate that the word is being used in some unusual way (or the writer thinks it is, or has a feeling it is, or something or other). The writer can use semi-quotes or full quotes to indicate that. It depend on the circumstance. I would say that any writer who really has no idea why he is using the typographical device, also would not understand the difference either.

What does it mean to "use a word right from the dictionary"? Maybe you just mean, use the word with the meaning that it has, instead of indicating a meaning it does not have, but you don't know what that meaning is? It is just a kind of feeling.

semi

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 06:18:47