The problem with perspectivism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

nameless

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:41 pm
@Violent Meme,
Violent Meme;71824 wrote:

I do not need to write a dictionary to see that other people, in this thread, seem to agree with me that "perspectives" are just "opinions" and nothing more.

You can form a circle jerk and agree with each other that a cow is a horse. It's fine for you alone, but I'll win the race with my version of a horse.
A group of ignorant people remains a group of ignorant people, perhaps semi-literate and justifying each other's egos in a daisy chain.
I'm unimpressed. It is not 'slander', son, to call ignorance ignorance, which is what I did. No value judgement, just calling a spade a spade. Willful ignorance (which appears to be what you are doing) is called stupidity. If the shoe fits, son, wear it.

Quote:
Is this yet another *PERSONAL INSULT*???

Nope, just an observation. Take it, though, as your juvenile ego must.

Quote:
But seriously, we can discuss 'perspectives' all day long. Tell me when to begin.

It would be fruitless as you are ignorant of the meaning of the word beyond your own imagination, and refuse to learn.

Quote:
Should I reach for a dictionary in order to philosophize with you???

Nah, that would take 'critical thought', but you'd need to be 'literate' to have a meaningful discussion with me.

Quote:
I am not ignorant, nameless, despite your insinuation otherwise.

(The proof is in the pudding...)
My error. I thought that there might be things that you didn't already know. I thought that everyone was ignorant of many things, but I guess that you are the one exception. But I'll let others sit at your feet and feed on all the knowledge and wisdom that (trickles down that) you have accumulated in all your years...

Quote:
Goodbye, come back anytime!

Nah, it would be fruitless, last word is yours.
Back to your ego circle jerk...

Satan phil

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:08 pm
@hue-man,
"The fool shouts loudly, thinking to impress the world." -Marie de France

Violent Meme

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:17 pm
@nameless,
nameless;71780 wrote:
... don't think so.
nameless out

I thought you were leaving...back so soon?

Welcome back! Very Happy

nameless;71863 wrote:
You can form a circle jerk and agree with each other that a cow is a horse.

Is that what people are doing in this thread???

I did not know that an agreement constituted as social masturbation.

You learn something new everyday; I thank you for your wisdom, nameless!

nameless;71863 wrote:
It's fine for you alone, but I'll win the race with my version of a horse.

You mean...like *MY* "version" of a 'perspective'???

That sounds very hypocritical of you; does it not???

What was your point again...that the dictionary is the Authority on the matter?

nameless;71863 wrote:
A group of ignorant people remains a group of ignorant people, perhaps semi-literate and justifying each other's egos in a daisy chain.

I'm unimpressed. It is not 'slander', son, to call ignorance ignorance, which is what I did. No value judgement, just calling a spade a spade. Willful ignorance (which appears to be what you are doing) is called stupidity. If the shoe fits, son, wear it.

More slander, is this not a common argument style for you?

Do you have anything more to add or take away from this discussion, nameless?

nameless;71863 wrote:
Nope, just an observation. Take it, though, as your juvenile ego must.

"juvenile ego"?

More slander.

nameless;71863 wrote:
It would be fruitless as you are ignorant of the meaning of the word beyond your own imagination, and refuse to learn.

"you are ignorant"

More slander.

(Keep it coming!!!) :devilish:

nameless;71863 wrote:
Nah, that would take 'critical thought', but you'd need to be 'literate' to have a meaningful discussion with me.

"illiterate"?

More slander.

nameless;71863 wrote:
(The proof is in the pudding...)
My error. I thought that there might be things that you didn't already know. I thought that everyone was ignorant of many things, but I guess that you are the one exception. But I'll let others sit at your feet and feed on all the knowledge and wisdom that (trickles down that) you have accumulated in all your years...

Nah, it would be fruitless, last word is yours.
Back to your ego circle jerk...

Do not feel bad, nameless, I too have lost several arguments in my lifetime. You live; you learn. Do you understand? You will be okay once you give your precious, hurt feelings a rest. Take a break from "philosophizing" for a bit and come back when you have a clearer head. I hate to drag threads down like this by entertaining your type of mentality, but, I am still learning Patience as a Virtue. Sometimes, it is difficult to be patient with people when all they do is slander you with rhetoric once their point is so-easily-defeated.

If you desire, nameless, then enlighten me to exactly-how a 'perspective' is definitively-different and separated from an "opinion". I will humbly-await your infinite wisdom.

You seem to just be oozing and overflowing with Knowledge! :bigsmile:

hue-man

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:52 pm
@kennethamy,
An opinion is what someone thinks as opposed to what someone knows.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:58 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;71896 wrote:

Well, knowledge and opinion (belief) are not opposed, because if I know some proposition is true, then I also believe it is true. So, rather than belief and knowledge being opposed, knowledge actually implies belief. But, of course, the converse is not true. Belief does not imply knowledge, although as we have seen, neither does belief imply that you do not know, either.

Satan phil

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:47 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;71896 wrote:

That implies that all opinions could become more than opinion by gaining some knowledge. That ignores the cases where there is no knowledge to gain. Such claims will always be opinion and nothing more. Examples included so far are "classical music is awful" and "strawberry ice cream is the best flavor of ice cream". Certainly you don't believe that either of these things could ever be based on facts. That is what distinguishes an opinion from a belief. You can believe both "the Statue of Liberty is 900 feet tall" and "classical music is awful" but only one of them is an opinion.

hue-man

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 06:50 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;71899 wrote:
Well, knowledge and opinion (belief) are not opposed, because if I know some proposition is true, then I also believe it is true. So, rather than belief and knowledge being opposed, knowledge actually implies belief. But, of course, the converse is not true. Belief does not imply knowledge, although as we have seen, neither does belief imply that you do not know, either.

I'm not speaking of opinion in the context of belief as the acceptance of a proposition. I'm speaking of opinion in the context of a belief that stands on insufficient evidence, or the complete lack thereof. Any opinion can also be expressed as a sentiment that does not express an actual fact about reality.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:01 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;71928 wrote:
I'm not speaking of opinion in the context of belief as the acceptance of a proposition. I'm speaking of opinion in the context of a belief that stands on insufficient evidence, or the complete lack thereof. Any opinion can also be expressed as a sentiment that does not express an actual fact about reality.

From what I can tell, that kind of belief is generally called, "faith". I think I mentioned that there are also what are called, "matters of opinion". For example, whether butterscotch tastes better than just vanilla. Those are called, "matters of opinion" because they are cases of, "each one to his taste". There is no right of wrong about them. And, "there is no arguing about taste". But see David Hume's great essay, "On the Standard of Taste". He has very interesting things to say about matters of taste.

hue-man

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:02 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;71926 wrote:
That implies that all opinions could become more than opinion by gaining some knowledge. That ignores the cases where there is no knowledge to gain. Such claims will always be opinion and nothing more. Examples included so far are "classical music is awful" and "strawberry ice cream is the best flavor of ice cream". Certainly you don't believe that either of these things could ever be based on facts. That is what distinguishes an opinion from a belief. You can believe both "the Statue of Liberty is 900 feet tall" and "classical music is awful" but only one of them is an opinion.

I completely agree.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 07:09 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;71936 wrote:
I completely agree.

Why can't I express the opinion that the Statue is 600 feet tall, and then be shown wrong? Or, express the opinion that it is 900 feet tall, and then be shown right? And opinion may be just a guess, and a guess may be lucky or unlucky.

Satan phil

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 08:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;71939 wrote:
Why can't I express the opinion that the Statue is 600 feet tall, and then be shown wrong? Or, express the opinion that it is 900 feet tall, and then be shown right? And opinion may be just a guess, and a guess may be lucky or unlucky.

Replace the word "opinion" with the word "belief" and I agree. I understand "opinion" to mean "a belief not made true or false by any fact". When I ask for someone's opinion, I don't attempt to verify it. I accept that it's just their opinion and that it isn't grounded in fact.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 08:58 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;71961 wrote:
Replace the word "opinion" with the word "belief" and I agree. I understand "opinion" to mean "a belief not made true or false by any fact". When I ask for someone's opinion, I don't attempt to verify it. I accept that it's just their opinion and that it isn't grounded in fact.

But that is not how "opinion" is always used. Physicians give their opinion on what is the matter with you; and lawyers on what the law says; and car mechanics on what is wrong with your car. I agree that "opinion" is often used more subjectively than is, "belief" to mean what a particular person thinks is the true, rather than what is generally thought to be true. And often, "opinion" is used to mean, "just my opinion" but something I haven't really looked into or investigated to any extent. In this sense, "opinion" is a "hedge word", to warn the hearer that the speaker doesn't want to put his reputation behind what he says. So, in case the speaker turns out to be wrong, he can always point out that he said it was his opinion, and not that he had investigated the matter even to the extent that he would use the term, "belief".

Satan phil

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;71964 wrote:
But that is not how "opinion" is always used.

I agree. We say lots of silly things. Did you know that it never really rains cats and dogs?

"Facts are objective expressions about entities, events and their properties. Opinions are subjective expressions that describe people's sentiments or feelings about entities, events and their properties." Handbook of Natural Language Processing, Second Edition

It's pretty simple.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:36 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;71993 wrote:
I agree. We say lots of silly things. Did you know that it never really rains cats and dogs?

"Facts are objective expressions about entities, events and their properties. Opinions are subjective expressions that describe people's sentiments or feelings about entities, events and their properties." Handbook of Natural Language Processing, Second Edition

It's pretty simple.

Why would talking about a physician's or a lawyer's opinion be silly? It would be a different use of the word.

Satan phil

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:41 pm
@kennethamy,
I'm trying to figure out what your point is. You don't seem to be disagreeing with me about facts vs. opinions. You are simply saying the word "opinion" has different meanings. This has already been established. So what?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:47 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;71997 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what your point is. You don't seem to be disagreeing with me about facts vs. opinions. You are simply saying the word "opinion" has different meanings. This has already been established. So what?

But you seem to be saying that an opinion cannot be a fact. And that is not true, since if a physician gives his opinion that the kid has measles, it may very well be a fact that the kid has measles. Particularly since we expect that the physician will have an informed opinion. Therefore, when you say that facts are opposed to opinions, you seem to be wrong (at least in one sense of the word "opinion") isn't that true? Clear now?

Satan phil

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 12:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;71999 wrote:
But you seem to be saying that an opinion cannot be a fact.

If you insist on using opinion as a synonym for belief then obviously, beliefs can be true or false based on facts. I've never argued otherwise and of course, you know this. However, opinion in the sense of the word I've been talking about cannot be based on fact. That is their distinguishing feature that makes them opinions rather than true or false beliefs. Do you have anything to say against what I'm actually claiming here?

Not to be repetitive but let me quote this again for you from this textbook:

kennethamy

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 12:38 am
@Satan phil,
Satan;72012 wrote:
If you insist on using opinion as a synonym for belief then obviously, beliefs can be true or false based on facts. I've never argued otherwise and of course, you know this. However, opinion in the sense of the word I've been talking about cannot be based on fact. That is their distinguishing feature that makes them opinions rather than true or false beliefs. Do you have anything to say against what I'm actually claiming here?

Not to be repetitive but let me quote this again for you from this textbook:

Why can't an opinion be true, and therefore, a fact? I did not say it is based on facts. Suppose it is my opinion that A is stupid. May it not be that A is stupid? And, in that case, isn't my opinion true?

Zetherin

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 12:44 am
@hue-man,
Satan wrote:

This does not state that opinion cannot be fact. Opinions can most definitely be fact.

I'm using "fact" as a synonym for "true", though. Perhaps you're not. Know, though, that rarely does anyone use "opinion" without some correlation to the truth.

Satan phil

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 12:47 am
@kennethamy,
We are getting mired in ambiguity again. When someone says something is a "fact" they often mean that it is a "true proposition" but the word also means a "state of affairs". It's these "state of affairs" that make propositions about the world true. The proposition "the cat is on the mat" is made true by corresponding with the facts or state of affairs between the cat and mat.

So again, if you mean "opinion" as in "belief" and "fact" meaning "true proposition" then certainly beliefs can also be true propositions. We also call that knowledge (if justified).

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:30:12