Debunking the literal truth of Noah and the great flood

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 11:23 am
@TheLonelyPuritan,
Those scholars who deny that there was a man called Jesus who preached sometime around the 30's AD are few and far between. There is almost universal agreement that such a man existed; what is unknown, historically, is exactly what he taught.

As for the rest of the debate, I was primarily coming from an historical perspective. Tossing around Bible verses does not make the cut regarding all of my arguments: there have been Christians, and still are a few, who do not refer to the "Scripture" of the Bible. I appreciate Jerome's detailed responses, but an overarching point I tried to make was that a Christian might very well reject all that is contained in any Bible compilation - I gave an example of one such early Christian, Marcion. To say that a Christian must accept any given book or list of books is to demand that mortal men have the final say as to what is and what is not the teachings of Christ - when in reality, it is up to the individual to decide which teachings attributed to Jesus are relevant. Christians may disagree with one another and still be Christians.

xris

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 12:43 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;78998 wrote:
While I don't agree with JEROME's every doctrine, I fail to see how he hasn't argued his points well. Jesus Himself testified for the Scriptures (and that includes the book of Numbers), by saying "The Scripture cannot be broken". Furthermore, whenever Jesus refers to Scripture, He always refers to it as if it were absolute fact. We conclude, then, that Jesus Himself approved of the Israel's siege of the Midianites.
As for your statement that not one considered it a universal faith until Paul, let us look at Matthew.

Also, as for your denial of the existence of Jesus Christ, I doubt any modern scholar denies that Jesus walked the earth in His day. Even the secular ones.
Peter on more than one occasion disagreed with Paul on the matter of the Jewishness of christianity and on such subjects as circumcision.Paul did a good job of editing the scriptures and making them more acceptable.
Tell me one credible secular historian who can prove jesus existance,just one.I will give you a chance, one religious historian who can prove his existance.
As for your support of Jerome's view that the god of moses is the same as christs..what does it say about the speeches of Christ? it makes them out as even more fictitious than before.If you or Jerome cant see the completely different expressions of mercy and revenge expressed by the two testaments,then your faith is blinding you to the blatantly bleeding obvious.

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 01:34 pm
@xris,
xris;79034 wrote:
Peter on more than one occasion disagreed with Paul on the matter of the Jewishness of christianity and on such subjects as circumcision.Paul did a good job of editing the scriptures and making them more acceptable.

Paul edited which Scriptures, exactly? As for the disagreements with Peter, that doesn't really matter. Many Christians have disagreed before.
Quote:
Tell me one credible secular historian who can prove jesus existance,just one.I will give you a chance, one religious historian who can prove his existance.
It actually amazes me how anyone can even doubt Jesus' existence. I can't prove it, no, but even so, it's fairly obvious that Jesus existed.
Quote:
As for your support of Jerome's view that the god of moses is the same as christs..what does it say about the speeches of Christ? it makes them out as even more fictitious than before.If you or Jerome cant see the completely different expressions of mercy and revenge expressed by the two testaments,then your faith is blinding you to the blatantly bleeding obvious.
The speeches of Christ contradict nothing in the Old Testament, so I don't see any problems here. The God of the Old Testament showed mercy and wrath, while Jesus, in the New Testament, showed both mercy and wrath. Tell me Jesus was just this kind jolly fellow all the time after reading His rebukes and anger toward the Pharisees of the day, and His sermon in Matthew 7, where He claims that men would come and plead their case before Him on judgment day, and His words to them are "I never knew you, depart from me you workers of iniquity". The only real difference here is that while God, in the OT, carries through and pours His wrath on nations, while Jesus only warns of it.
Your only real argument here is "They act kind of different so there's a contradiction!", and to that, I tell you, that God works in a series of Covenants. The Covenant between God and man has changed. However, God does not change.

xris

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 01:46 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;79055 wrote:
Paul edited which Scriptures, exactly? As for the disagreements with Peter, that doesn't really matter. Many Christians have disagreed before.
It actually amazes me how anyone can even doubt Jesus' existence. I can't prove it, no, but even so, it's fairly obvious that Jesus existed.
The speeches of Christ contradict nothing in the Old Testament, so I don't see any problems here. The God of the Old Testament showed mercy and wrath, while Jesus, in the New Testament, showed both mercy and wrath. Tell me Jesus was just this kind jolly fellow all the time after reading His rebukes and anger toward the Pharisees of the day, and His sermon in Matthew 7, where He claims that men would come and plead their case before Him on judgment day, and His words to them are "I never knew you, depart from me you workers of iniquity". The only real difference here is that while God, in the OT, carries through and pours His wrath on nations, while Jesus only warns of it.
Your only real argument here is "They act kind of different so there's a contradiction!", and to that, I tell you, that God works in a series of Covenants. The Covenant between God and man has changed. However, God does not change.
As Peter was supposed to be the rock of faith then opposing him should indicate something to you.
Tell me why do you state he was a historical figure then say you cant prove it but wonder why i should doubt his existance? He is a mythical figure,woven into an elaborate story to convince the masses that they should observe certain ethics on the pain of everlasting punishment.
I asked you if you see the same god who permitted bears to eat a group of children because they cheeked his prophet and jesus who condemned any who harmed a child.Now dont be shy, is he the same god?

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 02:57 pm
@xris,
xris;79059 wrote:
As Peter was supposed to be the rock of faith then opposing him should indicate something to you.

Where Jesus calls Peter the rock of the church, the language is very ambiguous. He calls peter A rock, yes, but when He says "...upon THIS rock...", it's more likely (in the context of the entire bible) that He referred to Himself. See the OT passages that state that God is the "rock of our salvation", etc.
Quote:
Tell me why do you state he was a historical figure then say you cant prove it but wonder why i should doubt his existance? He is a mythical figure,woven into an elaborate story to convince the masses that they should observe certain ethics on the pain of everlasting punishment.
First, may I ask you a question? Did the writers of the New Testament really believe what they were writing?
Quote:
I asked you if you see the same god who permitted bears to eat a group of children because they cheeked his prophet and jesus who condemned any who harmed a child.Now dont be shy, is he the same god?
Well, yes. He even claimed to be the same God. Jesus saying "he who hurts one of these children should be cast into the deepest well" does not mean God Himself can not do it. It's just saying man has no right to do it.

xris

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 03:34 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;79079 wrote:
Where Jesus calls Peter the rock of the church, the language is very ambiguous. He calls peter A rock, yes, but when He says "...upon THIS rock...", it's more likely (in the context of the entire bible) that He referred to Himself. See the OT passages that state that God is the "rock of our salvation", etc.
First, may I ask you a question? Did the writers of the New Testament really believe what they were writing?
Well, yes. He even claimed to be the same God. Jesus saying "he who hurts one of these children should be cast into the deepest well" does not mean God Himself can not do it. It's just saying man has no right to do it.
Ah so you are distorting the scriptures to fit your view,Peter the rock,he did not really mean rock then?how convenient.
Those who wrote the testament where party to the myth making,its them who i am accusing of making the myth,so why ask me if they believed their own imaginations.
So your god would send bears to eat children if they cheeked his prophet and you think jesus would have done the same? how strange and you wonder why i would not believe in Jesus.

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 05:29 pm
@xris,
xris;79092 wrote:
Ah so you are distorting the scriptures to fit your view,Peter the rock,he did not really mean rock then?how convenient.
Those who wrote the testament where party to the myth making,its them who i am accusing of making the myth,so why ask me if they believed their own imaginations.
So your god would send bears to eat children if they cheeked his prophet and you think jesus would have done the same? how strange and you wonder why i would not believe in Jesus.

No, Peter is a rock, not The rock. Simon is named Peter (Petros, in Greek) while the next time rock is used in the sentence, the Greek term is "Petra". Different words.

Okay, so they've made it up. It's all some big lie. Why on earth would these apostles preach this myth, though? There seems to be no actual benefit to doing something like that. Also, even if they had a motive, I would think they'd come up with something a little more believable than Christianity. It's a rational faith, sure, but going around expecting people to believe that God became a man, who was born of a version, and was killed, and was resurrected, and now sits at the right hand of the Father, and one day all mankind, including Caesar, will bow their knee to Him. To believe a message like this in the time of the Apostles is absurd.

Also, your last comment is a total appeal to emotion. "Jesus wouldn't want children to die! He's too loving!" Though God does love children, in the general sense that he loves every human being, He can justly kill whoever He so desires, as their lives belong to Him.

And just for the record, it's not at all a wonder why you don't believe in Jesus. Man is born in total enmity with God, after all.

ACB

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 06:28 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;79131 wrote:
No, Peter is a rock, not The rock. Simon is named Peter (Petros, in Greek) while the next time rock is used in the sentence, the Greek term is "Petra". Different words.

Can you clarify this point, please. Are you saying that 'Petros' means 'a rock' but that 'Petra' means 'the rock'?

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 06:33 pm
@ACB,
ACB;79147 wrote:
Can you clarify this point, please. Are you saying that 'Petros' means 'a rock' but that 'Petra' means 'the rock'?

Sorry, let me clear this up.

No. The 'a' rock, and the 'the' rock thing is what I think is most likely the correct interpretation of that particular text, when looked at in light of the rest of the Bible. Petros and Petra are essentially the same word; Petros being the masculine term and Petra being the feminine one. However, the fact that two different words are used here indicates that both the 'Petra' and the 'Petros' is not the same thing being referred to.

ACB

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 06:59 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;79149 wrote:
However, the fact that two different words are used here indicates that both the 'Petra' and the 'Petros' is not the same thing being referred to.

Possibly. But the difference could merely be due to the fact that 'Petros' is being used adjectivally ("rock-like") in agreement with a masculine noun (you/Simon), whereas 'Petra' is the noun form of "rock", which is feminine in gender. In that case, the two words need not refer to different people.

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:06 pm
@ACB,
ACB;79157 wrote:
Possibly. But the difference could merely be due to the fact that 'Petros' is being used adjectivally ("rock-like") in agreement with a masculine noun (you/Simon), whereas 'Petra' is the noun form of "rock", which is feminine in gender. In that case, the two words need not refer to different people.

I suppose that's another possibility. I do think that there is a way to take Peter as the "rock" of the Church without making him infallible about any doctrine. That is, Peter, in a sense, started the Church. He laid the foundation for the building of the Church. He did do most of the evangelism in the early part of the book of Acts, after all.

JEROME phil

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 08:24 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas writes:
Quote:
As for the rest of the debate, I was primarily coming from an historical perspective. Tossing around Bible verses does not make the cut regarding all of my arguments: there have been Christians, and still are a few, who do not refer to the "Scripture" of the Bible.

Is this all I have done, Didymos Thomas? Have I merely "tossed about the Scriptures" as you say? Do the verses I cited not "make the cut"?

This was your argument, Didymos:
Quote:
By my line of argument, even Peter cannot be taken to be authoritative - authority is in the hands of Jesus alone. A person might reject the notion that Peter properly understood the message of Jesus, and therefore reject his commentary on Jesus' teaching.

And this was the argument that I, with the clear and revealed Scriptures, refuted, invalidated, and disproved.

What do you now mean by: "I was primarily coming from an historical perspective?"

Is Scripture not historical?
Did Christ not affirm Peter's authority?
Did Christ not affirm Paul's authority?
Did Christ not promise the Apostles the gift of the Holy Spirit, and that He would lead them into all truth?
Are the writings of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter, et al. the confirmation of this promise?
Does not Scripture speak with full assurance on this matter?

It seems that you have now shifted the burden of proof.

First you argue, "How do we know that Christ's Word affirms the writings of the Apostles?" And then, once this your argument has been sufficiently trampled and beaten, you argue, "Yes...[cough]...that may well be...[clearing of throat]...[awkward silence]...but how do we know that Christ said any of these things? How can we rely upon Scripture as an historical document? I must...[volume of voice increasing]...therefore...[tone of voice decreasing]...in the name of scientific virtue...[puffing out chest]...be convinced by a purely secular historical account that these words are, in fact, Christ's...[nervous twitch]...[sigh of relief]...[wiping away sweat from brow]..."

Despite your cunning evasions, Didymos, the principle still stands:
it is not a debatable point what Scripture's clear statements on these matters are, but rather, all rests on whether one either believes or denies them.

You write:
Quote:
I appreciate Jerome's detailed responses, but an overarching point I tried to make was that a Christian might very well reject all that is contained in any Bible compilation - I gave an example of one such early Christian, Marcion.

Here is your problem: your peculiar theology is always and only interpreted, construed, and sifted through your peculiar anthropology, thereby placing man at the center of all of your thoughts concerning God, faith, and religion. Therefore, according to your view, whatever dreams and delusions arise from the minds of men becomes a validated form of Christian faith by virtue of their believing it [very strange indeed].

Contrariwise, according to my view, the Scriptures are precisely what they say they are: the sole norm, rule, and authority of all and every true and faithful Christian, thereby excluding all claims to private knowledge of God through the "theological ego" and/or "pious self-consciousness" as no more than vain gusts of wind, carrying with them an odor so pungently foul that even the hot breeze of a donkey's backside is as the sweetest of perfumes by comparison.

Considering this seemingly infinite chasm that separates our arguments, then, any further discussion will, more likely than not, be the bearer of very little fruit, yea, of no fruit at all. Thus, unless we are to debate the texts of Scripture upon the basis of their authority, efficacy, perspicuity, and sufficiency, then I am afraid our discussion is finished.

You write:
Quote:
To say that a Christian must accept any given book or list of books is to demand that mortal men have the final say as to what is and what is not the teachings of Christ

Mortal men had as much of a "final say" regarding the New Testament as they did the Old, dear Didymos. Have you not read Christ's words confirming the inspiration of the Old Testament? Have I not cited many of them? Have you not read Christ's words confirming the words of the Apostles? Have I not cited many of them? What exactly, then, is your point?

You continue:
Quote:
- when in reality, it is up to the individual to decide which teachings attributed to Jesus are relevant. Christians may disagree with one another and still be Christians.

Is this truly the case, Didymos? Are you not merely attempting to vainly wrestle your way out of a sure, certain, and accomplished defeat and trouncing? Of what, then, will the "individual" make of these words:

Quote:
So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." [John 8:31-32]

Is Christ not asserting that subjective faith is conditional upon abiding in His objective Word ["If you abide in my word..."]?

Does Christ not promise and assure that subjective knowledge, faith, and freedom will result from this abiding in His objective Word ["...and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free"]?

Therefore, what is your "individual" left to decide upon?

Has Christ not stated His Word as being non-identical to the "individual's" preference, fancy, desire, satisfaction, want, etc.?

Why, then, do you argue to the contrary?

Furthermore, upon the matter of how one decides whether one of Christ's words is "relevant" or "irrelevant", I would be interested in the precise methodology you employ in exercising this "spiritual gift".

How does one conclude, upon the basis of their own naked theological ambition, that, let us say, John 8:31-32 is not truly Christ's Word, while John 3:16 is most assuredly Christ's Word?

Is every man allowed to ignore, deny, or refuse all of those texts that dissatisfy, vex, or exasperate their "spirtual Self"?

Likewise, is every man then able to keep, adopt, and promote only those passages which (though they have already lost their proper context, meaning, and intent) they find desirable, gratifying, and pleasant?

Tell me, then, most venerable, most merciful Didymos, why you may charge me as being a "dogmatician" (as if this were a bad thing), and yet, upon matters of religion, it seems you cannot help but speak ex cathedra?

JEROME

xris

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 03:10 am
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;79131 wrote:

Okay, so they've made it up. It's all some big lie. Why on earth would these apostles preach this myth, though? There seems to be no actual benefit to doing something like that. Also, even if they had a motive, I would think they'd come up with something a little more believable than Christianity. It's a rational faith, sure, but going around expecting people to believe that God became a man, who was born of a version, and was killed, and was resurrected, and now sits at the right hand of the Father, and one day all mankind, including Caesar, will bow their knee to Him. To believe a message like this in the time of the Apostles is absurd.

Also, your last comment is a total appeal to emotion. "Jesus wouldn't want children to die! He's too loving!" Though God does love children, in the general sense that he loves every human being, He can justly kill whoever He so desires, as their lives belong to Him.

And just for the record, it's not at all a wonder why you don't believe in Jesus. Man is born in total enmity with God, after all.
So you think your god is the same god who killed children for calling his prophet baldy...My mind boggles that anyone could imagine their god so evil.
The whole story is a myth,invent the apostles, invent the story, how can you claim one story is true because of another invented story.The story is virtually identical to the Mythras myth and when you have no historical reference anyone with an ounce of common sense can see it as enormous hoax.

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 09:27 am
@xris,
xris;79202 wrote:
So you think your god is the same god who killed children for calling his prophet baldy...My mind boggles that anyone could imagine their god so evil.
The whole story is a myth,invent the apostles, invent the story, how can you claim one story is true because of another invented story.The story is virtually identical to the Mythras myth and when you have no historical reference anyone with an ounce of common sense can see it as enormous hoax.

1) Is that God evil? Really? Does God not define evil, though? By what standard do you measure evil?

2) Mithras, really? From Roman Mithraism? You must, as any older Mithraism contains little to no existent manuscripts. So, let's talk about Roman Mithraism. Before I can adress this, though, I'd like to ask which similarities you're talking about? I ask because most, if not all, similarities people usually talk about don't even exist in any Mithraist texts; such as, the virgin birth, the atonement of sin, crucifixion, etc.

Not only that, but you must remember to take into account the Messianic prophecies about Jesus from OT, which existed before Mithraism, and not make stupid claims like "the Christians copied the story", when, in fact, they could not have.

xris

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 10:35 am
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;79307 wrote:
1) Is that God evil? Really? Does God not define evil, though? By what standard do you measure evil?

2) Mithras, really? From Roman Mithraism? You must, as any older Mithraism contains little to no existent manuscripts. So, let's talk about Roman Mithraism. Before I can adress this, though, I'd like to ask which similarities you're talking about? I ask because most, if not all, similarities people usually talk about don't even exist in any Mithraist texts; such as, the virgin birth, the atonement of sin, crucifixion, etc.

Not only that, but you must remember to take into account the Messianic prophecies about Jesus from OT, which existed before Mithraism, and not make stupid claims like "the Christians copied the story", when, in fact, they could not have.
I dont need a god to describe evil,getting bears to eat children alive is evil for most reasonable humans.
Mythras the roman pagan god was like most pagan gods, born from gods carried out miracles, was betrayed ,sacrificed and rose from the dead,sound familiar?The pagan lucky thirteen at the last supper,i could go on but it would take too long.
If your writing a myth you take into account prophecies and insert them into the script.So why could they have not copied the script?
As a side note guess where their head quarters where in Rome?Guess who Paul was working for when he came across christianity?

JEROME phil

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:05 pm
@xris,
In response to the matter of Peter's confession concerning the person of Christ, though it should not be necessary for me to bring this to attention (as I have had to do repeatedly): there can be no proper interpretation of the text apart from the proper context of the text.

Therefore, let us read the surrounding verses:

Quote:
"Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, 'Who do people say that the Son of Man is?' And they said, 'Some say John the Baptist, other say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.' He said to them, 'But who do you say that I am?'"

Notice that Christ here addresses all of the disciples. He is not speaking exclusively to Peter, but to all of the twelve, as is demonstrated by the words, "he asked his disciples", "they said", and

Thus the question Christ poses ["But who do you say that I am?"] is, along with the rest of the passage, not addressed solely to the person of Peter, but to all of the twelve, as the Apostle recounts,

Quote:
"Simon Peter replied, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.' And Jesus answered him, 'Blessed are you Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven."

Note well that Simon Peter's reply [You are the Christ, etc.] is praised by Christ, and yet, Christ states plainly:

That is as if to say, "You yourself, Simon Bar-Jonah, are not the cause of this your faith, but it is the gracious working of the Father who is in heaven. For you, being a mere man, utterly fallen in the sin of Adam, have no ability or will to do, accept, or believe the things of God; but while it may be impossible with men, it is not so with God."

The text continues:
Quote:
"And I tell you, you are Peter [Petros], and on this rock [Petra] I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

Therefore, these words: You are Peter [Petros], and on this rock [Petra] I will build my church, etc. speak, not of Peter's preeminence or supremacy as disciple, Apostle, or Pope, but rather of Peter's confession of Christ, namely, that the He is the true Son of God, the promised Messiah spoken of by the prophets of old.

To conclude that Christ identifies St. Peter [Petros-masculine] with the rock upon which the Church is built [Petra-feminine] is to contradict both the context and the wording itself. There is a clear distinction between both as per the words of Christ, "You are [Petros], and on this [Petra] [that is, your confession that I am the Christ] I will build my church."

If Christ had identified Petros with Petra the text would read instead, "You are Petros, and upon you I build my church." Christ's use of Petra, then, even if we were to isolate this section of the text from its surrounding verses, manifestly distinguishes between it and St. Peter.

And, as if this were not enough to silence those who quarrel over words, let us read a parallel passage wherein St. Paul identifies the true rock of the Church:

Quote:
"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit." [Ephesians 2:19-22]

Thus, taken in its proper context, the verses tell us that the Christian has been built on nothing other than the ministry Christ ordained, namely, the preaching and teaching of the Gospel in its truth and purity, and the right and proper administration of the Sacraments. Scripture testifies to this truth repeatedly [I Cor. 3:23; II Cor. 4:5; Eph. 2:20; Isa. 40:6,8; Isa. 28:16; Ps. 118:22; etc.]

Yet many object that the following verses refer directly to the lordship and superiority of St. Peter:

Quote:
"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.' Then he strictly charged the disciples to tell no one that he was the Christ." [Matthew 16:13-20]

However, this claim is easily refuted, seeing that later, in chapter 18, verse 18, Christ speaks to all of the disciples:

Quote:
"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven. Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them." [Matthew 18:18]

And again Christ speaks to all of the disciples as regarding the Keys of the Kingdom in the Gospel of St. John:

Quote:
"On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, 'Peace be with you.' When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, 'Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.' And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.'" [John 20:23]

Therefore, the Keys of the Kingdom have been given, not to the individual St. Peter or to any one particular man, but to the whole and entire Christian Church on earth; that is, all who make common confession with the Apostles.

In addition, it is proper to consider the testimonies of the ancients on this matter, seeing that it is frequently argued that the early Church fathers agreed with the interpretation of modern Rome.

It is of significance that ancients such as Origen, Cyprian, Augustine, Hilary, Bede, Chrysostom, et al. understood these verses to pertain to the confession of Peter rather than to his direct person:

For instance, Chrysostom writes:
Quote:
"Upon this rock," not upon Peter. For He built His Church not upon man, but upon the faith of Peter. But what was his faith? "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." [Power and Primacy of the Pope, Section 28, p. 298]

And Hilary too affirms:
Quote:
"The Father revealed to Peter that he should say, "You are the Son of the living God" [Matthew 16:17]. Therefore, the building of the Church is upon this rock of confession. This faith is the foundation of the Church. [Power and Primacy of the Pope, Section 29, p. 298]

For Christ is the chief cornerstone, the only rock, ground, and foundation upon which the Church stands securely in God's grace and purpose. As St. Peter himself writes:

Quote:
"As you come to him [Christ], a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in Scripture:
'Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone,
a cornerstone chosen and precious,
and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.'"

Amen.

JEROME

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:45 pm
@xris,
xris;79324 wrote:
I dont need a god to describe evil,getting bears to eat children alive is evil for most reasonable humans.

First, "youths" does not necessarily mean "little children". Your obvious appeal to emotion by calling them "children" is noted.
Now, unfortunately for you, most reasonable human beings are not the standard of morality. God is the standard. God's nature is good, because good is dependent on God's nature. There isn't some other standard above God that He must conform to in order to be rightly called good, if He is to truly be God.
1 Corinthians 1:20 wrote:
Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?

xris wrote:
Mythras the roman pagan god was like most pagan gods, born from gods carried out miracles, was betrayed ,sacrificed and rose from the dead,sound familiar?The pagan lucky thirteen at the last supper,i could go on but it would take too long.

Born from gods is not the same as having existed forever as the Son of God (see the doctrine of the Trinity) and then taking on flesh. The miracles are irrelevant, as it's expected that any 'son of gods' would be able to do it. Miracles aren't even what make Jesus unique; Satan has his miracles too.
The pagan 'lucky thirteen at the last supper' is nonexistent. There are accounts of Mithras being at a banquet of some sort with the sun got Helios, and another with him dining with the other gods before ascending to heaven, but there's really no similarity to Jesus' story of the last supper here.
As for your claims on him being sacrificed and raised from the grave, I'd like to know where you got this information because there's no real historical document that talks about his death.

Quote:
If your writing a myth you take into account prophecies and insert them into the script.So why could they have not copied the script?
Yes but this is not what I was arguing. I was telling you that the so called 'similarities' between Jesus Christ and Mithras were attributes written about long before any myth about Mithras. Did they copy the Mithras story or the Old Testament prophecies?

Quote:
As a side note guess where their head quarters where in Rome?Guess who Paul was working for when he came across christianity?
Where do you get this stuff? In what way was their headquarters in Rome. I wasn't even aware the Apostles had a headquarters. The whole deal about the Bishop of Rome being some sort of "leader" happened over a century later, and was criticized much by many early church writers, such as Tertullian.
Furthermore, Paul wasn't some kind of man working for Rome trying to manipulate the people. Paul was a Pharisee and persecutor of the Christians before he became one.
Also, if you're trying to insinuate that Rome wanted to control the people through Christianity, why then were the Roman Emperors persecuting Christians up until Emperor Constantine in the third century?

On a side note, thank you JEROME for clearing up the passage about Peter and the Keys to the Kingdom.

xris

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 03:51 am
@TheLonelyPuritan,
I accept your god has the power and the will to kill children, in your belief system and if thats ok with you then others will judge that admission, not just me.
Paul worked for the Romans and he did have a revelation.He realised if he could amalgamate mythras and christianity he had a powerful weapon of control over the masses.The common overwhelming desire for christianity and the Roman pagan god would make good partners.Against Peters wishes Rome became the centre for christianity and securing peters death by encouraging him to enter Rome, he took control of the church.
Mythras and his story was like all pagan gods and the jesus story was then altered to fit the same pagan necessities.
If you cant see the similarities between mythras and the jesus story you are in the minority.As for jesus ticking all the boxes of prophecy,do you think the authors of his story would not have known about the prophecies?

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 11:30 am
@xris,
xris;79435 wrote:
I accept your god has the power and the will to kill children, in your belief system and if thats ok with you then others will judge that admission, not just me.

Yes, but even their flawed judgment is irrelevant when it comes to God's truth. God not only has the power and the will, but also the right to take the life of whoever He wishes, as He is the owner of all life.
Quote:
Paul worked for the Romans and he did have a revelation.He realised if he could amalgamate mythras and christianity he had a powerful weapon of control over the masses.The common overwhelming desire for christianity and the Roman pagan god would make good partners.Against Peters wishes Rome became the centre for christianity and securing peters death by encouraging him to enter Rome, he took control of the church.
Mythras and his story was like all pagan gods and the jesus story was then altered to fit the same pagan necessities.
I'd really like to hear some sources for this entire assertion. And that still doesn't explain why Rome would persecute the Christians it tried so hard assemble.
And I'm still waiting for some quotations from the Mithraist texts that claim Mithras was sacrificed, and resurrected, etc.
Quote:
As for jesus ticking all the boxes of prophecy,do you think the authors of his story would not have known about the prophecies?
Well, sure, but I wasn't arguing that His fulfilling the prophecies is necessarily an evidence for His deity. I was saying that many things about Jesus' character (such as the virgin birth, His sacrifice for the sins of mankind, etc.) were written long before Roman Mithraism, and therefore could not then have been copied from Roman Mithraism. Sorry for any clarity issues.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 03:10 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
JEROME;79164 wrote:

Is this all I have done, Didymos Thomas?

Calm down, buddy. I never said that's all you did, although, that's the greater part of it.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Do the verses I cited not "make the cut"?

Depends on the particular argument: we have had more than one line of discussion going on. With respect to whether or not a particular piece of scripture must be accepted in order to be a Christian, no those verses do not make the cut.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
This was your argument, Didymos:

That was one of them, yes. But there was also the larger concern: that a Christian need not accept any particular scripture in order to be a Christian. Sighting scripture cannot eliminate this concern.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
What do you now mean by: "I was primarily coming from an historical perspective?"

In that I am looking through history and seeing Christians who did not, and who do not, read the works of any modern Bible as their scripture.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Did Christ not affirm Peter's authority?
Did Christ not affirm Paul's authority?

In some accounts, yes: but it is possible for a Christian to reject those accounts, be unaware of those accounts, or simply prefer other accounts.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Did Christ not promise the Apostles the gift of the Holy Spirit, and that He would lead them into all truth?

Depends on which book you read. In some, yes, in others, no.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Are the writings of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter, et al. the confirmation of this promise?

One of my concerns is that one can be a Christian without referring to either listed writer's supposed works. I gave at least one example, Marcion.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Despite your cunning evasions, Didymos, the principle still stands:
it is not a debatable point what Scripture's clear statements on these matters are, but rather, all rests on whether one either believes or denies them.

Despite your negative portrayal of my involvement in this discussion, i actually agree with the above. That's precisely my point: all rests on whether one either believes or does not believe. And, as I have shown, Christians can have a great many different sets of scripture.

One need not accept everything, or anything, in any modern New Testament or Old Testament in order to be a Christian.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Here is your problem: your peculiar theology is always and only interpreted, construed, and sifted through your peculiar anthropology, thereby placing man at the center of all of your thoughts concerning God, faith, and religion. Therefore, according to your view, whatever dreams and delusions arise from the minds of men becomes a validated form of Christian faith by virtue of their believing it [very strange indeed].

Is it so strange to think that Christianity is a religion to which humans adhere. I'm not sure what other creature could be a Christian but a human being.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Contrariwise, according to my view, the Scriptures are precisely what they say they are: the sole norm, rule, and authority of all and every true and faithful Christian, thereby excluding all claims to private knowledge of God through the "theological ego" and/or "pious self-consciousness" as no more than vain gusts of wind, carrying with them an odor so pungently foul that even the hot breeze of a donkey's backside is as the sweetest of perfumes by comparison.

Which is your prerogative. However, your personal theology (as you have detailed) is not the only way to be a Christian.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Considering this seemingly infinite chasm that separates our arguments, then, any further discussion will, more likely than not, be the bearer of very little fruit, yea, of no fruit at all. Thus, unless we are to debate the texts of Scripture upon the basis of their authority, efficacy, perspicuity, and sufficiency, then I am afraid our discussion is finished.

I am not interested in debating any particular text at this point - maybe another time. Instead, I am interested in this matter of what one must accept as scripture in order to be a Christian.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Mortal men had as much of a "final say" regarding the New Testament as they did the Old, dear Didymos.

Yeah, no joke. Gnostic Christians, as an example, looked to the God of the Old Testament as the demiurge, an imperfect emanation of the true God. Yet, these people were and are still Christians.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Have you not read Christ's words confirming the inspiration of the Old Testament? Have I not cited many of them? Have you not read Christ's words confirming the words of the Apostles? Have I not cited many of them? What exactly, then, is your point?

My point is that a Christian can reject the words you sight.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Is this truly the case, Didymos? Are you not merely attempting to vainly wrestle your way out of a sure, certain, and accomplished defeat and trouncing? Of what, then, will the "individual" make of these words:

For someone who bemoans "theological ego" you seem remarkably concerned with winning, whatever that could possibly mean in a discussion. This is not a wrestling match, and it is impossible to trounce anyone - it is a discussion. For the mutual benefit of all involved. I learn from hearing your take, you learn from hearing mine, even if we still disagree at the end of the day.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Is Christ not asserting that subjective faith is conditional upon abiding in His objective Word ["If you abide in my word..."]?

Sure, in this passage he most certainly is saying that: but whether or not those are actually his words is debatable. And Christians are capable of engaging in this debate, and they are capable of having different opinions on the matter.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Therefore, what is your "individual" left to decide upon?

Which book to read.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Has Christ not stated His Word as being non-identical to the "individual's" preference, fancy, desire, satisfaction, want, etc.?

Again, this depends upon the book you pick up. Unless a person has personally spoken to Jesus, a person must face the question: which of these assorted and sometimes contradictory teachings make sense to me? And they have to answer that question. Apparently, you have answered that question for yourself (unless you accept every shred of apocrypha in addition to canon), but not every must come to the same conclusion you found in order to be a Christian.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Furthermore, upon the matter of how one decides whether one of Christ's words is "relevant" or "irrelevant", I would be interested in the precise methodology you employ in exercising this "spiritual gift".

This is no spiritual gift. You exercise the same judgment when you chose not to read certain apocrypha.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
How does one conclude, upon the basis of their own naked theological ambition, that, let us say, John 8:31-32 is not truly Christ's Word, while John 3:16 is most assuredly Christ's Word?

I have never made that decision, so I don't have a clue.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Is every man allowed to ignore, deny, or refuse all of those texts that dissatisfy, vex, or exasperate their "spirtual Self"?

Allowed to? Yeah. Should they? No.

People should carefully consider the scripture before them, and only accept it if, after observation and analysis, the scripture is found to agree with reason and work for the good of everyone. People should think for themselves and be concerned with how the message of the scripture works in practice, rejecting anything that does not work for the good of mankind.

JEROME;79164 wrote:
Tell me, then, most venerable, most merciful Didymos, why you may charge me as being a "dogmatician" (as if this were a bad thing), and yet, upon matters of religion, it seems you cannot help but speak ex cathedra?

Are you capable of having a discussion about religion without being sarcastic, abbraisive and condescending? How about having the conversation without using strawmen?

I make no claims of infalibility: if I did I would demand that everyone accept the same theology that I accept.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 04:19:15