Debunking the literal truth of Noah and the great flood

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Justin

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 10:31 am
@Alan McDougall,
Jerome has been banned so he will not be able to respond to this post and some or most of his post will be removed!

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 10:45 pm
@xris,
My internet's been down for a few days. Best days of all your lives, I'm sure!
Also, I regret Jerome's unfortunate end on these forums, and would even hope he's unbanned, as he is my brother in Christ. Still, if he's broken a rule, there's not much I can do about it.

xris;82259 wrote:
What is there in the bible that gives you authority to claim it is true?How do you prove that it is written by god?Not one of its scriptures can be historicaly proven.With this tremendous truth how can it be trusted?
If it is by faith alone, then no dogma can be attached to it.

I believe it takes God Himself to testify to His own Word, as it is, while not unreasonable, above reason. So no, I can't historically prove the truth of the Bible, only declare it's truth by God's authority, as I've been commanded.

Alan McDougall;82264 wrote:
According to fundamentalists, although we are all filthy sinners in the eyes of God, he welcomes into heaven some filthy human sinners and bans other equally filthy sinners from heaven for all eternity.

Don't get me wrong. I plead with you to come to Christ and have faith, that you may be saved.

Quote:
In fact this selective judgement gets worse, now you have sinners eating at Gods table and sinners who are no less bad burning in torment in a lake of fire forever and ever, day and night without ceasing there screams reaching up to heaven in their everlasting torment

We have to be found written into the Book of Life if not bad luck!

Let me give you a little example here: If the governor of a state visits the victims on death row, and uses his given right as governor to pardon one, he is not then obligated to pardon everyone from death row.
Quote:
Revelations chapter 2 verse 23 And "I will kill her children with death"; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts;and "I will give unto everyone of you according to your works"

The problem with the above verse is that according to literal fundamentalst we are all haters of God all filthy sinners. This leads me to this question "I will give unto everyone of you according to your works But our "WORKS ARE ALL THE SAME, THEY END UP IN HEAVEN AND WE END UP IN HELL."

The only real problem here is that you're ignoring the systematic interpretation of the text by ignoring the context. Believers will have a greater work depending on their works, for example, is a viable interpretation of the above scripture, similar to when Christ tells His people to "build up your treasure in heaven".

Quote:
This is not fair judgement this is favourism at its worst

'Fair' would be to have us all burn in hell forever. What do you think is better? Punish all, or save some and punish the rest?

Alan McDougall;82307 wrote:
I see God as just and his mercy will go to those who deserve it, maybe God has a limit to his mercy in one scripture he says "I will not always strive with man", is an example

But doesn't God Himself define what is just? Or can mankind invent it's own system of justice and then demand that God follow it or be called unjust?

Quote:
But I will never accept that God is going to eliminate or annihilate most of his created human beings or burn them in eternal torment

Oh, I'm aware. Until God supernaturally converts a man, he'll never accept it.

Alan McDougall;82320 wrote:
Sadly even the sweet agnostic old lady backing apple pie for here beloved grandchildren. Bad luck granny you did not accept the gospel so you are going to be thrown into the lake of fire to be tormented day and night forever.

You fail to realize that her act of not accepting the Gospel is incredibly evil. Evil enough to deserve the wrath of God.

Quote:
This is the screwed logic I am trying to get any literal believing fundamentalist to rationalise to me and to themselves

I've failed to see any logical attack besides 'how could God punish X human being. X human being is a good person!'

xris

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:51 am
@TheLonelyPuritan,
By your words we shall know you and your words we surely know you brother.
You have not one itsy bit of evidence to prove god is in the bible but because someone told you its true you accept it.
Imagine you have never read the bible, your the only surviving human,you pick it up and read it.What authority has it got? If it has no historical proof its fiction, nothing more nothing less.
Do you honestly believe these scriptures worry me?If they have been written by any ethereal hand its the devils.A god who created us would or could understand, it is he who made us imperfect, so why in heavens name should he punish faulty goods of his own making?What madness is there in this book that consumes rational humans and turns them into blinkered bigots.

Justin

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:11 am
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;82898 wrote:

Also, I regret Jerome's unfortunate end on these forums, and would even hope he's unbanned, as he is my brother in Christ. Still, if he's broken a rule, there's not much I can do about it.

It is unfortunate that a supposed follower of Christ who be an example of Christianity would act in such a way... but, we're sorta used to that kind of thing. This is one reason I myself stay clear of that label of Christiantiy. Too many of them are running around the world angry and upset, trying the shove the same pill they swallowed down anothers' throat.

I believe it takes God Himself to testify to His own Word, as it is, while not unreasonable, above reason. So no, I can't historically prove the truth of the Bible, only declare it's truth by God's authority, as I've been commanded.

You've been commanded?.. By whom? If it takes God, show us God so that he may testify to the truth of the bible. This may be difficult considering man wrote that Bible and man described and created that God. Likewise, there are many men that are followers of other men.

Don't get me wrong. I plead with you to come to Christ and have faith, that you may be saved.

Save yourself friend. If being saved means having to be ignorant or acting our like many of these good Christian examples, please take your Christ, your saviors, your Gods... 'Behind me Satan!'.

Let me give you a little example here: If the governor of a state visits the victims on death row, and uses his given right as governor to pardon one, he is not then obligated to pardon everyone from death row.

The only real problem here is that you're ignoring the systematic interpretation of the text by ignoring the context. Believers will have a greater work depending on their works, for example, is a viable interpretation of the above scripture, similar to when Christ tells His people to "build up your treasure in heaven".

Did Christ tell them that? Where did Christ say heaven was? You do realize that all that Christ told the people were written decades after Christ died. There were no journals or notes take while Christ was here, the story was told long after Christ would have died. Those are all stories. Not to mention, if someone follows Christ and the ways of Christ in the bible, they do not go around condemning others or angry because others will not follow the myth as they follow. Some of us actually think, consider, ponder and investigate and desire to understand the truth of it all. Those of you with faith are faith alone because evidence is not there.

'Fair' would be to have us all burn in hell forever. What do you think is better? Punish all, or save some and punish the rest?

Oh, the fictitious hell with the mighty ruler Satan as our guide. Are you sure your not interpreting this too literally? Hell and heaven as I understand it is right here on earth and we create it daily.

But doesn't God Himself define what is just? Or can mankind invent it's own system of justice and then demand that God follow it or be called unjust?

It depends on if you believe in fairy tales and pink elephants. Man has already invented a justice system and it's used every day. I don't see the demands saying God must follow the justice system of man so not sure I understand what you are getting at. The justice system in place in this world was created by men, just as God was created by men and that's why we have so many varieties of both.

Oh, I'm aware. Until God supernaturally converts a man, he'll never accept it.

Is this a joke? Usually, when things are so bad and a person is experience his low, he or she will go to the Church and convert. This has everything to do with not wanting to be alone and needing the help of a church or the group of people in that church for support. It's about being a part of something greater. God doesn't convert man, man converts himself just as he types these words in the computer or gets in his car and goes to the store. God doesn't control these things, man does and man converts by his own decision. Problem in, many of them convert and then become soldiers or warriors for Christ when I don't remember that as a characteristic of Christ in the bible.

You fail to realize that her act of not accepting the Gospel is incredibly evil. Evil enough to deserve the wrath of God.

Says who, MAN? Wrath of God... OMG.

Listen, this is about the great flood and debunking it. You're in here trying to save people with your ever so wise words of BS. You've brought to the table not an understanding but an installation of fear based on how you interpret this bible so literally. You think you are commanded to do so and to preach the word of God and gain followers of Christ is the impression I get.

Here's the scoop, this is a philosophy forum, not a preaching BS forum. This forum is here for understanding and discussing things in greater detail among a group that desires to understand more and to discuss it peacefully without bashing each other over the heads or trying to convert people to 'our' way of thinking or our religion... whatever that may be.

So up front, in the past 4 years, fanatical born again Christians that come in here trying to preach the word are some of the angriest and hostile and unforgiving people in this forum. They bring hell in to this forum on their heels and try to spread it around to the rest of us. Sorry, but if you are going to come in here preaching or acting like a good Christian like we've seen displayed in Jerome and many others, I have to think that most of us want to part of that BS. If you want to talk nuts and bolts and believe what you will, fine but please refrain from preaching or saying that people are evil because they don't accept your way of thinking.

For once, can a Christian step up to the plate here and show us an example of Christianity by their actions and words? I've yet to see it in someone who calls themselves a Christian but I see a great many Atheists that are more Christ like than many of the Christians I've met.

In summary, you believe what you believe because you choose to believe it and don't try to force that silly little blue pill on anyone else.

The bible in NO WAY can be considered literal truth, unless you choose to believe it is. If you do, it's belief alone and there are other forums for this type of thing.

Please understand I'm not trying to be mean or judgmental but there a good many Christians out there that I wouldn't want to have on this forum because they talk the talk without walking the walk and in many ways are an embarrassment to the life of Christ.

jgweed

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 09:38 am
@Alan McDougall,
Even if it be assumed that the Bible is to be taken literally, this in itself is an interpretation. Even the literalists often disagree about the meanings and importance of many passages, so a literal interpretation seems an impossibility and does not get the Christian very far. Moreover, if scholars cannot agree on the meaning of the original languages, still less can any case be made for one translation or the other.

Is there a strictly religious or intellectual need for literalism? Given the different interpretations about the literalist dogma itself amongst the many hallowed traditions represented by the various Christian sects on the one hand, and the preposterous demands a literal interpretation put on human intellect to disavow both science and common sense, it would seem not.

On the other hand, if one takes the Bible as a human text, it is possible to understand the religious significance of its contents without committing oneself to irrationality and indulging in credulity about many passages aimed at a different audience and for a less-than-religious purpose. This may put one into a state of "fear and trembling" and demand the highest responsibility in interpreting the text, but it avoids the pitfalls of dogmatism and a certain amount of surrendering of freedom of thought.

We must ask ourselves, I think, an important question: why did Jesus himself not consider it necessary to write down rules for life and share with us divine truth? Why did He (so it seems from the secondary accounts in the New Testament) choose to teach mankind in parables?

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 09:49 am
@xris,
xris;82944 wrote:
By your words we shall know you and your words we surely know you brother.
You have not one itsy bit of evidence to prove god is in the bible but because someone told you its true you accept it.
Imagine you have never read the bible, your the only surviving human,you pick it up and read it.What authority has it got? If it has no historical proof its fiction, nothing more nothing less.
Do you honestly believe these scriptures worry me?If they have been written by any ethereal hand its the devils.A god who created us would or could understand, it is he who made us imperfect, so why in heavens name should he punish faulty goods of his own making?What madness is there in this book that consumes rational humans and turns them into blinkered bigots.

If I was the only human being on some island, and I found a bible, whether or not I would believe in it depends solely on:

1)If it's not true, chances are, no.
2)If it is true, chances are, no.
3)If it is true, and the God it talks of has elected me unto salvation, then yes.

Also, let it be known that God did not make you imperfect. Your imperfection is inherited from Adam, because Adam sinned.

Justin;82966 wrote:
It is unfortunate that a supposed follower of Christ who be an example of Christianity would act in such a way... but, we're sorta used to that kind of thing. This is one reason I myself stay clear of that label of Christiantiy. Too many of them are running around the world angry and upset, trying the shove the same pill they swallowed down anothers' throat.

Well, I agree that most people who proclaim themselves to be Christian are unloving, but even so.

Quote:
You've been commanded?.. By whom? If it takes God, show us God so that he may testify to the truth of the bible. This may be difficult considering man wrote that Bible and man described and created that God. Likewise, there are many men that are followers of other men.

By God, yes. It's commanded of us in His word. Also, I won't deny that Christianity is prepositional, and even unbelievable, but in it's unbelievability lies the glory. How can it be that the most attacked religion of the time can have even started, let alone thrive for thousands of years?

Quote:
Save yourself friend. If being saved means having to be ignorant or acting our like many of these good Christian examples, please take your Christ, your saviors, your Gods... 'Behind me Satan!'.

But it doesn't, by any means, mean you'll be ignorant! There are some very well educated Christians out there. May I direct you to John Owen, John Calvin, Martin Luther, Gordon H. Clark, James White, St. Augustine, Paul Washer, Jonathan Edwards, John Wesley, George Whitefield, Isaac Newton, and many more. Pretty much every great Christian writer was very knowledgeable in history and not at all ignorant.

Quote:
Did Christ tell them that? Where did Christ say heaven was? You do realize that all that Christ told the people were written decades after Christ died. There were no journals or notes take while Christ was here, the story was told long after Christ would have died. Those are all stories. Not to mention, if someone follows Christ and the ways of Christ in the bible, they do not go around condemning others or angry because others will not follow the myth as they follow. Some of us actually think, consider, ponder and investigate and desire to understand the truth of it all. Those of you with faith are faith alone because evidence is not there.

The accounts of Christ's life were written by people who knew Him, or people who knew people who knew Him who based their gospel on ones already written. It doesn't have to have been written when He was alive to be a viable account of His life.

Quote:
Oh, the fictitious hell with the mighty ruler Satan as our guide. Are you sure your not interpreting this too literally? Hell and heaven as I understand it is right here on earth and we create it daily.

Well I would partially agree that there is a sense of heaven here in the life of the believer, because they can truly be in the presence of God and truly walk with God through prayer and such. Still, Jesus taught a real heaven and a real hell. Also, Satan isn't the ruler of hell, really. I don't know where that idea came from. The biblical description of hell would be the eternal wrath of God upon you.

Don't be confused, by friend. Hell is not hell because God's not there. Hell is hell because God is there, in the presence of those who deserve His wrath.

Quote:
It depends on if you believe in fairy tales and pink elephants. Man has already invented a justice system and it's used every day. I don't see the demands saying God must follow the justice system of man so not sure I understand what you are getting at. The justice system in place in this world was created by men, just as God was created by men and that's why we have so many varieties of both.

I'm not saying there's no justice system. I'm actually going to try and be a lawyer after my pre-university studies. My point was that we can't, as humans, construct a moral or justice system and then demand God follow it, as Mr. McDougall seems to be talking.

Quote:
Is this a joke? Usually, when things are so bad and a person is experience his low, he or she will go to the Church and convert. This has everything to do with not wanting to be alone and needing the help of a church or the group of people in that church for support. It's about being a part of something greater. God doesn't convert man, man converts himself just as he types these words in the computer or gets in his car and goes to the store. God doesn't control these things, man does and man converts by his own decision. Problem in, many of them convert and then become soldiers or warriors for Christ when I don't remember that as a characteristic of Christ in the bible.

Biblically, God predestined which men would be converted and which would not from the beginning of the world. If you choose to deny this, then that's your decision. Many good and loving Christians reject this Calvinist doctrine.

Still, however, I must ask: You agree that many of the sins listed in the bible are human nature? (lust, etc.) And if so, how is it that man can ever fight this human nature, and even hate it as much as he does?

Quote:
Says who, MAN? Wrath of God... OMG.

Listen, this is about the great flood and debunking it. You're in here trying to save people with your ever so wise words of BS. You've brought to the table not an understanding but an installation of fear based on how you interpret this bible so literally. You think you are commanded to do so and to preach the word of God and gain followers of Christ is the impression I get.

Actually, I was in here defending criticisms against the Bible. I've not pushed anyone to believe what I believe. I've pleaded them to, yes, but that's not in any way pushing them to.

Quote:
Here's the scoop, this is a philosophy forum, not a preaching BS forum. This forum is here for understanding and discussing things in greater detail among a group that desires to understand more and to discuss it peacefully without bashing each other over the heads or trying to convert people to 'our' way of thinking or our religion... whatever that may be.

Theology is, in fact, a branch of philosophy, and so I'm defending my theological beliefs. Is that not something a philosopher would do?

Quote:
So up front, in the past 4 years, fanatical born again Christians that come in here trying to preach the word are some of the angriest and hostile and unforgiving people in this forum. They bring hell in to this forum on their heels and try to spread it around to the rest of us. Sorry, but if you are going to come in here preaching or acting like a good Christian like we've seen displayed in Jerome and many others, I have to think that most of us want to part of that BS. If you want to talk nuts and bolts and believe what you will, fine but please refrain from preaching or saying that people are evil because they don't accept your way of thinking.

Well, I'd take the position that people are evil whether they accept my way of thinking or not. I've not once called myself better than any other member of this forum. I've not thrown insults at people, or attacked them personally (though I do remember a case where my language may have hinted otherwise, and I apologize for that). If I've broken a single rule, I'd ask that it be made known to me and I'll quickly correct it.

Quote:
For once, can a Christian step up to the plate here and show us an example of Christianity by their actions and words? I've yet to see it in someone who calls themselves a Christian but I see a great many Atheists that are more Christ like than many of the Christians I've met.

Please understand that all I'm doing here is explaining my beliefs. I understand that my beliefs can be somewhat harsh, but that neither makes them any less true, or makes me any more unloving. In fact, most of my closest friends aren't even Christian.

Quote:
The bible in NO WAY can be considered literal truth, unless you choose to believe it is. If you do, it's belief alone and there are other forums for this type of thing.

No offense, but I found it kind of funny how you basically just said 'the bible can't be considered truth unless it's considered truth'. Smile

Quote:
Please understand I'm not trying to be mean or judgmental but there a good many Christians out there that I wouldn't want to have on this forum because they talk the talk without walking the walk and in many ways are an embarrassment to the life of Christ.

I understand. You're a forum admin and you must keep order in your forum. Also, I'd be the first to admit that I'm an embarrassment to the life of Christ, for different reasons.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 12:19 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
Until God supernaturally converts a man, he'll never accept it.

Wait a second, friend: what is unnatural about belief in God?

Maybe I'm just highlighting a poor choice of words, but if belief in God must be the result of supernatural conversion, then we are talking about an unnatural conversion and, thus, an unnatural belief.

Further, this whole notion that God preordains who is and who is not saved means that God pre-condemns people. I am one who disputes the supposed "Problem of Evil", but in this case you have created a very real and serious theological problem of evil - you have set up the theology of an deity who has no concern for the masses of people in his creation, the furthest thing from the loving God of whom Christ spoke.

xris

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 12:19 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
So did god create Adam perfect or imperfect?

TheLonelyPuritan

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 03:10 pm
@xris,
xris;83028 wrote:

Perfect.

Didymos Thomas;83027 wrote:
Wait a second, friend: what is unnatural about belief in God?

Nothing is unnatural about man believing in God. I was referring to a more personal relationship with God than just mental assent of His existence. It is unnatural for man to repent, though.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just highlighting a poor choice of words, but if belief in God must be the result of supernatural conversion, then we are talking about an unnatural conversion and, thus, an unnatural belief.
Well, a true faith in Jesus is unnatural belief, in that it defies human nature. That's why you need to be born again, remember?

Quote:
Further, this whole notion that God preordains who is and who is not saved means that God pre-condemns people. I am one who disputes the supposed "Problem of Evil", but in this case you have created a very real and serious theological problem of evil - you have set up the theology of an deity who has no concern for the masses of people in his creation, the furthest thing from the loving God of whom Christ spoke.
God does pre-condemn people, I never denied that. That's not to say, however, that they don't deserve it. They do reject Him of their own will, after all.

Also, this God is the exact God that Christ spoke of:

John 6:37-40 wrote:
"All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him, may have eternal life; and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.

John 6:44 wrote:
No one can come to Me, unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day. . .

John 6:65 wrote:
For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me, unless it has been granted him from the Father.'

I really doubt that this doctrine of predestination is new to you, Didymos Thomas. You seem to know quite a lot about the history of the Church.

I guess it can be argued that the Father draws everyone to Jesus, and they can choose to accept it or not, but there are more verses which we must consider. For example:

John 17:9 wrote:
I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.

Jesus is not praying for those not given to Him, so how can it be said that everyone is given to Him from the Father? Who then is Christ not praying for, if not those who are not elect?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 05:01 pm
@TheLonelyPuritan,
TheLonelyPuritan;83057 wrote:

Nothing is unnatural about man believing in God. I was referring to a more personal relationship with God than just mental assent of His existence. It is unnatural for man to repent, though.

If there is nothing unnatural about belief in God, then it is not accurate to say that God must "supernaturally convert" a person before that person will believe in God. Supernatural means beyond or above what is natural - which makes anything supernatural necessarily unnatural.

Well, a true faith in Jesus is unnatural belief, in that it defies human nature. That's why you need to be born again, remember?

Wait a second - is the belief natural or unnatural? First you say that belief in God is natural, but now you call that same belief unnatural.

Faith in Jesus does not defy human nature - it is demonstrably false to claim otherwise. The simple fact that people do have faith in Jesus, absence of anything supernatural, is irrefutable evidence that such belief is quite natural to humans.

As for being born again, I am not sure my understanding of the concept and your own are quite the same. I am not a fan of John's Gospel, from which the concept originates.

In any case, being "born again" may not be unnatural, even in the context of the third chapter of John. Jesus is disputing the Jewish concept of salvation, and instead claiming that, for salvation, one must be "born again" which is the process of recognizing the Holy Spirit within one's self. Jesus goes on to say that he is simply "testify[ing] to what [He] has seen" - that he knows this all to be true by his own experience. But I leave it here as there are more important matters:

God does pre-condemn people, I never denied that. That's not to say, however, that they don't deserve it. They do reject Him of their own will, after all.

Yeah - my point is that because you say that God pre-condemns people, that you invite a very serious problem, and that is to reconcile a loving God with a God who creates men, living men who suffer, who have absolutely no chance of reaching the Kingdom of God: you are asserting a God who creates men who can do nothing but suffer.

If such a God is indeed God, then it is wrong to say "For Jesus so loved the world..." because Jesus, God, would not love the world, but only a select few who happen to live in that world.

Also, this God is the exact God that Christ spoke of:

I am not convinced that any of these passages teach that God pre-ordains that particular people cannot be saved.

Who has God not sent to this world? Who does God not draw to himself?

Some highly suggested reading:
SUMMA THEOLOGICA: Predestination (Prima Pars, Q. 23)

"But nothing is directed towards an end unless the will for that end already exists."

It is a long and complex treatise on predestination, and not easily grasped. I struggle with Aquinas. But as far as I understand him, God knows the end, but the end, salvation or otherwise, is still left to the choice, the will, of the individual man. According to Aquinas, in God, love comes before election, and election before predestination. That God loves first means that salvation is open to everyone who seeks God - thus, whosoever seeks God will be elected, and therefore predestined, for salvation.

As he says later in the piece:
"Predestination most certainly and infallibly takes effect; yet it does not impose any necessity, so that, namely, its effect should take place from necessity."

This Catholic view is so complex because Aquinas has to reconcile all of the Gospels. To do this requires a complicated arithmetic. But if you take the time to wade through it, you will see that he manages to define predestination in such a way that man is not predestined in any way other than to be saved.

For Aquinas, God only reprobates, refuses salvation, to those who willfully fall into sin and that God willfully permits them to do so, but does not willfully condemn them to do so.

I really doubt that this doctrine of predestination is new to you, Didymos Thomas. You seem to know quite a lot about the history of the Church.

No, it is not new to me. Only I think that without extensive qualification the teaching becomes terribly dangerous. One example would be Calvin's Unconditional Election which essentially eradicates any relation of a person's action to their being saved.

Worth looking up is Matthew 7:7-12.

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:01 pm
@xris,
xris;83028 wrote:

I would say xris, if we accept that Adam was a historical person, that no God did not create Adam perfect God created Adam innocent!

Pathfinder

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:26 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Whether atheistic or theistic in ideology an individual must willingly choose to accept what he believes is more than hypothesis in order to settle on an ultimatum.

For one to say it is 'either/or' and than actually believe what he says is factual, without the ability to prove it, is pure and blind faith arrived at by choice.

However, personal choice will never create an innocent Adam or a Big Bang. The atheist can no more prove that God does not exist than the theist can prove that one does. Both are hypotheticals of personal opinion and as such equal to each other in merit.

xris

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 06:58 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Puritan, if god made Adam perfect why did he fail,perfection never fails,if it does, its not perfect....

ACB

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:09 am
@xris,
xris;83225 wrote:
Puritan, if god made Adam perfect why did he fail,perfection never fails,if it does, its not perfect....

Correct. If Adam had been perfect, he would always have chosen to do the right thing. He would have been free to do wrong, but would never have chosen to do so.

Justin

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:43 am
@xris,
TheLonelyPuritan - Thank you for responding in a way that can be seen as more Christ-like than many of your Christian brothers. Your response is appreciated.

TheLonelyPuritan;82994 wrote:
Also, let it be known that God did not make you imperfect. Your imperfection is inherited from Adam, because Adam sinned.

This is wrong. There is no imperfection in God and Adam and Eve were stories.

We have to step back. God or the idea of God is both omnipresent and omnipotent making God Absolute, correct? So if there is only God then how can there be any imperfection? The imperfection we inherit is due to our separation with the One God. Separation I speak of in the spiritual, material sense of it. The breath of life and God are within each of us yet our unawareness of it takes the illusion and twists it into perfection or imperfection. Good or Evil. God or Satan.

You see, this, in and of itself is hypocrisy. Where there is God or perfection, there can be no imperfection. Where this is joy and love there can be no evil and hate. Mankind in his separation with the Oneness of God and creation developed the ideas of a dual force, one being God, one being Satan when there is only God. Our perception of the world being a material world clothed with imperfection causes us to place blame or create another force driving us away from God. This force we call evil yet there is no evil because there is only God. One thing divided in sexed opposites of One Light of God experiencing the physical world. The good and evil are forces created in the minds of man separate from the unity and divinity of the one, seemingly supernatural force we label God.

Therefore, God is all there is and imperfection is not. The only imperfection is the imperfection we perceive which is an illusion. Satan or evil has no place unless we perceive it and then reflect it in our separation from God.

Well, I agree that most people who proclaim themselves to be Christian are unloving, but even so.

That's because of the confusion of two forces. Confusion, disunity and imbalance is presence where we believe there to be two forces in the world or two people whispering in our ear... One being Good or God the other being Satan or Evil. We worship two sides of the coin because if we believe in the evil, we technically worship it in some sense of the word because of fear.

Fear is the predominant force of today, not God. Because we fear we must worship a God or we go to hell. FEAR is the God of today and many of us live in fear due to our misguided and ill informed intelligence.

How can it be that the most attacked religion of the time can have even started, let alone thrive for thousands of years?

Every dragon or beast has a head. There will always be a leading religion out there. Actually, it's the masses following only a few, not the love of God. It's going to thrive naturally and as it thrives, we will continue to destroy the world around us and each other because of this illusion of separation from God. It doesn't matter which religion or which book, mankind will always fall for something and where there's a beast, there's always a leader or a head.

But it doesn't, by any means, mean you'll be ignorant! There are some very well educated Christians out there. May I direct you to John Owen, John Calvin, Martin Luther, Gordon H. Clark, James White, St. Augustine, Paul Washer, Jonathan Edwards, John Wesley, George Whitefield, Isaac Newton, and many more. Pretty much every great Christian writer was very knowledgeable in history and not at all ignorant.

Yeah,... So. Education is remembering and repeating the words and works of a man separated from creation. Education or remembering things is not universal knowledge because God is all there is and anyone who seeks and desires enough to tap into the universal knowledge that needs no remembering and repeating can when they understand that 'I and the father are One'. It's one, it's not 3.

An educated Christian is a misguided and misinformed human being separated from the omnipresent universal knowledge of the light of God which is within each an everyone of yet we try to educate ourselves with the myth of man. Personally, I think it's quite silly.

The accounts of Christ's life were written by people who knew Him, or people who knew people who knew Him who based their gospel on ones already written. It doesn't have to have been written when He was alive to be a viable account of His life.

This is important because it could very well be a 'big fish' story. We all know too well how things get twisted with time, even the first time. Men exaggerate and tell stories. So the words written in red as direct quotes of Jesus, could very well not be direct quotes if in fact they were verbally passed on decades after the death of Christ.

Well I would partially agree that there is a sense of heaven here in the life of the believer, because they can truly be in the presence of God and truly walk with God through prayer and such. Still, Jesus taught a real heaven and a real hell. Also, Satan isn't the ruler of hell, really. I don't know where that idea came from. The biblical description of hell would be the eternal wrath of God upon you.

Yes, the God that is to be feared. Let's not forget that at the Ecumenical Council under Emperor Justinian, the fathers of the Catholic Church removed all the teachings of the scriptures of reincarnation so that the fear of hell could remain. This God is to be feared and with those teachings foundation of the Church would have crumbled because the foundation is FEAR. There is no eternal wrath, there is no hell and there is no heaven there is only God. God is love, God is Balance, God is omnipotent and God is all there is. Giving weight to wrath or hell is in and of itself, hypocrisy in it's greatest grandeur. This illusion is meant to instill fear therefore giving foundation to the Church.

Don't be confused, by friend. Hell is not hell because God's not there. Hell is hell because God is there, in the presence of those who deserve His wrath.

This again, Hell is a man-made creation due to fear. Why is it that this world is so detached from reality that if truth were a 2x4 and it hit them squarely in the forehead, the would still not recognize it? They would just see the bruise and experience the pain of it and out of fear it becomes the cause. So the illusion that we have embraced all these years is that the effects are the causes and we have no awareness of the cause because our eyes see an upside down world of illusion based solely on fear.

I'm not saying there's no justice system. I'm actually going to try and be a lawyer after my pre-university studies. My point was that we can't, as humans, construct a moral or justice system and then demand God follow it, as Mr. McDougall seems to be talking.

Again, we're going back to a God that demands in a bible written and altered by men proclaiming to have had the words of God.

100 years ago, the idea of this forum and the internet and the communication we are having today across oceans of space would have been considered and impossibility. Likewise, before we understood the law of attraction and aerodynamics it was impossible to fly. Now take yourself back to the ancient times of writing the scriptures, back then the printing machine and the binding of a thing called the bible was an impossibility as well. Think about that for a moment.

Biblically, God predestined which men would be converted and which would not from the beginning of the world. If you choose to deny this, then that's your decision. Many good and loving Christians reject this Calvinist doctrine.

That is if we choose that biblical separation and installation of fear written by men who had no imagining of today's world. Reject this Calvinistic doctrine, reject them all because they are based on fear and fear has no place in Gods world.

This is the very reason why we fight and argue. Most of us come from a position of fear rather than a position of love giving the reasons for war and destruction. Our separation from love into a duality of Good and Evil, separate ourselves from that which we try to worship and adore. So long as we have all these doctrines and man is still in his cave, we will continue to disagree, go to war, destroy the earth.

Humankind will always and has always tried to fill the void within himself by following the creations of other men, yet the emptiness is still there and the questions still remain. When is it that humankind will awaken from the dream or illusion and awaken to the light of God?

Still, however, I must ask: You agree that many of the sins listed in the bible are human nature? (lust, etc.) And if so, how is it that man can ever fight this human nature, and even hate it as much as he does?

Human nature gives all his credit to the material world. Our perception is distorted in the sense that we perceive a material existence and out of fear think this is it. We live and die and then go to heaven or hell based on our actions in this life. We fight and hate human nature because we are still asleep in the womb not understanding the great gift of love that surrounds us. God is one but we have divided him. In this division, separation and perception, we live not for God but for things and treasures and embrace the illusion of lack and fear. This is why.

Actually, I was in here defending criticisms against the Bible. I've not pushed anyone to believe what I believe. I've pleaded them to, yes, but that's not in any way pushing them to.

If I understood it wrong, please forgive me.

Theology is, in fact, a branch of philosophy, and so I'm defending my theological beliefs. Is that not something a philosopher would do?

Sure I guess. If it's something think you should defend then go right ahead. I'm not defending anything here at all, I just wish people would wake up.

Well, I'd take the position that people are evil whether they accept my way of thinking or not. I've not once called myself better than any other member of this forum. I've not thrown insults at people, or attacked them personally (though I do remember a case where my language may have hinted otherwise, and I apologize for that). If I've broken a single rule, I'd ask that it be made known to me and I'll quickly correct it.

They are not evil. How is it there is only One God who is absolute, yet we call our brothers evil? How is it we worship two sides of one coin? Of course, this leads to confusion, hence the state of the world today and the obvious insecurities and fear within the world. The need to protect and fight for what we believe it... it's all BS. An illusion of distorted perception of man in his separation from divinity, if that's what you want to call it.

Please understand that all I'm doing here is explaining my beliefs. I understand that my beliefs can be somewhat harsh, but that neither makes them any less true, or makes me any more unloving. In fact, most of my closest friends aren't even Christian.

You can explain your beliefs which is fine. But your beliefs are limited to social conditioning and perception. What you've experienced in your world has brought you to this point in your life and it's all based primarily on your view of the world or your perception of things that have been socially conditioned in your mind and recorded in your soul. The key is to step away, awaken, and understand that Humankind's illusion of this man made God is based on fear. Fear being the driving force not love. This is why Christians are some of the meanest folks we've had in this forum. They are so set in their thinking that their minds are closed and in the illusion they remain. It's lonely there and there's a lot of fear and in a place where there is fear there can be no God. So it's God or it's not. Either there is God and God is all there is or there's the Devil or satan or whatever our twisted minds want to call the SOB we've created. Wake up Humans! LOL

No offense, but I found it kind of funny how you basically just said 'the bible can't be considered truth unless it's considered truth'. Smile

That's called perception. If I perceive something to be truth that perception will control my reflection. The reflection is the physical counterpart or the illusion of a material world. So if I believe a myth based on my perception which has been conditioned socially not spiritually, then it becomes my truth or my reality. My perception controls the reflection and the reflection controls the attraction which is the illusion of humankind's separation which is the cause of all disease, anxiety, hatred etc. etc.

I understand. You're a forum admin and you must keep order in your forum. Also, I'd be the first to admit that I'm an embarrassment to the life of Christ, for different reasons.

First of all, Christ spoke in a language of science. Much of what is written of Christ was verbally passed on. There is a very important message though. The message that Christ will come again and the coming again is in the resurrection of the Christ Consciousness within the soul of man. The transformation from a material existence to a knowing of the spiritual existence of love without fear. The message is strong and the message is good and however valid or invalid the stories may be, there is an underlying message that I perceive as the coming of a day where the separated man will become one in the spirit of the Christ-self. There are many passages in the bible I could go on and on and interpret in light but our difficulty is our interpretation in fear and darkness and that's why this world is in such disarray.

Didymos Thomas;83085 wrote:
Faith in Jesus does not defy human nature - it is demonstrably false to claim otherwise. The simple fact that people do have faith in Jesus, absence of anything supernatural, is irrefutable evidence that such belief is quite natural to humans.

Faith in Jesus under the interpretation of the Church who's foundation is fear. That's our human nature.

Didymos Thomas;83085 wrote:
Yeah - my point is that because you say that God pre-condemns people, that you invite a very serious problem, and that is to reconcile a loving God with a God who creates men, living men who suffer, who have absolutely no chance of reaching the Kingdom of God: you are asserting a God who creates men who can do nothing but suffer.

This idea is based again on fear. Nothing more. Our lives are controlled by this fear.

In ending this rant... LOL. I believe and always have that humans are followers and rather ignorant when it comes to realizing their true nature and purpose and realizing the divine inspiration we all seek is our entire being and therefore is only harmed by our illusion of separation from not only each other, but from what we consider to be God.

The second coming of Christ is not going to be a deity floating in from above, it's going to be a shift in conscious awareness and a birth of the Christ consciousness within humankind. A caterpillar becoming a butterfly, if you will. A complete transformation from a seed in a womb of a woman to a birthing of a new reality and a new understanding that we are ALL saved and we are all connected and we are all living in a dream of illusion based on fear.

As for Noah and much of the bible, it can almost all be debunked as we get closer to knowing ourselves, our spiritual selves and our oneness within this world we perceive to be separate. We are the script writers and we are the play.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 10:33 am
@Justin,
Justin;83239 wrote:

Faith in Jesus under the interpretation of the Church who's foundation is fear. That's our human nature.

Although fear is natural to humans, and it is not unnatural for humans to submit to fearful coercion by joining an organized religious group, we must also remember that faith in Jesus, even within the Church, is not necessarily fear based - Catholic theology and Eastern Orthodox theology are not fear based. At their worst they can be fear based, but generally, and most certainly at their best, they are based on the experience of life.

Justin;83239 wrote:
This idea is based again on fear. Nothing more. Our lives are controlled by this fear.

I'm not so sure that we can accurately generalize in the way you do here. Sure, some examples of predestination are fear driven - Calvin's account comes to mind (and for the Calvinists, if I am incorrect please explain as I would be quite excited to hear your view). But Aquinas' theology does not seem to be fear based.

Justin;83239 wrote:
therefore is only harmed by our illusion of separation from not only each other, but from what we consider to be God.

Which is exactly why Jesus taught that we are our brother's keeper and that the Kingdom of God is not in the clouds, but within each of us - that we are separated from each other and God only by our own delusion, and that we must overcome those delusions.

Justin;83239 wrote:
The second coming of Christ is not going to be a deity floating in from above, it's going to be a shift in conscious awareness and a birth of the Christ consciousness within humankind. A caterpillar becoming a butterfly, if you will. A complete transformation from a seed in a womb of a woman to a birthing of a new reality and a new understanding that we are ALL saved and we are all connected and we are all living in a dream of illusion based on fear.

And there exists a long tradition in Christian thought that would agree with you on this point, Justin.

Justin;83239 wrote:
As for Noah and much of the bible, it can almost all be debunked as we get closer to knowing ourselves, our spiritual selves and our oneness within this world we perceive to be separate. We are the script writers and we are the play.

Again, Justin, you cannot "debunk" Genesis or the rest of the Bible any more than you can "debunk" the works of Homer or Dante or Milton or Wu Cheng'en. To approach them with such a possibility in mind is to misunderstand the nature of the texts. The whole purpose of those texts is to "get closer to knowing ourselves" and this is done through contemplative study and open discussion of the works in question.

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 10:46 am
@Justin,
Quote:
Justin you posted
You see, this, in and of itself is hypocrisy. Where there is God or perfection, there can be no imperfection. Where this is joy and love there can be no evil and hate. Mankind in his separation with the Oneness of God and creation developed the ideas of a dual force, one being God, one being Satan when there is only God. Our perception of the world being a material world clothed with imperfection causes us to place blame or create another force driving us away from God. This force we call evil yet there is no evil because there is only God. One thing divided in sexed opposites of One Light of God experiencing the physical world. The good and evil are forces created in the minds of man separate from the unity and divinity of the one, seemingly supernatural force we label God.

Justin even if one accepts the Biblical view relating to God the "God of the scriptures is not perfect:, he changes his mind and makes numerous mistakes as was the case when he said it pained him in his heart that he had made man and decided to eliminate humanity with the flood with the exception of Noah and his family. God created both "good and evil" as is written in Isaiah 45 verse 7 "I form the light and create darkness I make peace and create evil I the Lord do all these things"

Perfection is a subjective term a being can be perfectly evil or perfectly good but not both, I see god as an evolving element driving the universe toward some as yet unknown goal

I have always believed in a duality of existence, good and evil, light and dark life and death

To me there is some battle of good and evil light and dark raging in the universe!

ACB

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 01:36 pm
@Justin,
Justin;83239 wrote:
God or the idea of God is both omnipresent and omnipotent making God Absolute, correct? So if there is only God then how can there be any imperfection? The imperfection we inherit is due to our separation with the One God.

Justin;83239 wrote:
Therefore, God is all there is and imperfection is not. The only imperfection is the imperfection we perceive which is an illusion.

I am confused. Is there imperfection or is there not? An illusion of imperfection is itself an imperfection, it seems to me. Separation from God is an imperfection. If there is only God and perfection, nothing bad can arise; yet it has arisen. Calling badness an illusion does not solve the problem, since an illusion of badness is a bad thing.

Goodness can only reinforce itself; it cannot produce evil (just as in mathematics the use of only plus signs cannot produce a negative quantity). Evil things, on the other hand, can either reinforce or conflict with one another, producing either good or evil (minus signs can produce either positive or negative quantities).

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:01 pm
@ACB,
ACB;83288 wrote:
I am confused. Is there imperfection or is there not? An illusion of imperfection is itself an imperfection, it seems to me. Separation from God is an imperfection. If there is only God and perfection, nothing bad can arise; yet it has arisen. Calling badness an illusion does not solve the problem, since an illusion of badness is a bad thing.

Goodness can only reinforce itself; it cannot produce evil (just as in mathematics the use of only plus signs cannot produce a negative quantity). Evil things, on the other hand, can either reinforce or conflict with one another, producing either good or evil (minus signs can produce either positive or negative quantities).

Can you apply human attributes to an infinite entity like God? In my opinion God is neither Good or Bad God is that which

"IS"

Maybe there is no known adjective for God!

Justin

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 02:03 pm
@ACB,
ACB;83288 wrote:

No, an illusion is an illusion not an imperfection. Our illusion can be the presence of imperfection but it's still an illusion. The bad that has arisen is the bad we reflect into it. The bad comes from our dividing God or the whole into two parts, one being good and one being bad. We create the bad not Satan or an evil force.

Solving the problem. Well in the mind of man, the effect becomes the cause therefore man, in his divided nature from self and God and divine inspiration, treats effects as if they were the cause. So the illusion becomes the reality to us and the reality is 'Bad'. So how do we fix the bad? How do we solve the problem? Well, currently and in history, man's solution has been to focus on the outer effects being the 'Bad' and attempt to fix each of these effects as the cause. So in a literal sense, we take an effect of a much greater cause and convert it into the cause and then try work on it and solve the problem. This is why we are here today discussing it. Look outside at the world of effect and all those who roam around diagnosing and treating causes.

The solution is for man to discover God within both himself and his neighbor and everyone else. To awaken to knowing thyself and the presence of divine inspiration and shedding the fears of lack or evil. This changes our perception which changes our reflection which changes what we attract. When the collective consciousness level in humankind rises to the level of knowing that we are not separate from God and that we are not separate from each other, only then will we be able to solve the problem... actually, the problem would be non-existent.

You see, all the problems in the world can be solved unconditional love and a true knowing of the spiritual self, rather than making effects the cause and trying to put out fires. The cause roots deep inside the heart and soul of man which is socially conditioned to focus his or her life as a span of time where they live, die and then go to heaven or hell. The seed of fear lies within most everyone of us and likewise we've allowed these seeds to take root and grow and as they continue to grow we'll continue to destroy each other and our planet. The fruit of mankind in unmistakable. All we need to do is turn on the news. These are the fruits of falsity and mythology which cause confusion.

ACB;83288 wrote:

I believe goodness is all there is. While realizing we can certainly take goodness and see the bad side of it as we usually do. I'm not into much math so I couldn't answer much there but I do know of 1 and One and it's division creating two of the one yet given different characteristics. We produce the evil in a good world. The production is ours alone.

ADDED:

Alan McDougall;83295 wrote:
Can you apply human attributes to an infinite entity like God? In my opinion God is neither Good or Bad God is that which

"IS"

Maybe there is no known adjective for God!

Yes, is. God is One, neither good or bad... that makes sense. When we divide the "IS" or duplicate it into two parts, we have a label, good and bad. We have made the Good and the Bad. That's my point. However, creation expresses both love and balance in nature, something we see ourselves as separate from. Our person is our body and someday our person will die. This body is merely a vessel and is not who we are.

OK, here's a way to look at it. When a drop of water goes into the ocean, the ocean in it's entirety is raised to the level of that drop. Meaning the drop adds volume to the entire ocean. Likewise that drop is not autonomous, it is part of the ocean. We see ourselves as many drops, separate from that of the ocean... even though we are in fact part of the ocean.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 10:56:06