What creates wisdom?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

north

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:11 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;146543 wrote:
Scientific research is a valuable tool in the discovery of the Natural World. Some fields of research evolved into Sciencias which in Holland we split up in groups called alfa, beta and gamma sciences. They all use scientific methodes. Science is an abstration; it are the scientist who should understand.

Hence Knowledge, Not Wisdom

Pepijn Sweep,
Magister Ox:)

knowledge leads to wisdom

pondfish

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:18 am
@Karpowich,
There is no wisdom in Humans.

Humans and wisdom can not co exist!. Smile

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:43 am
@north,
north;146545 wrote:

Not necessarily so. Read an interesting article about the amount of knowledge gathered to prevent terrorism. First the sorting is faulthy, the amount is incomprehensable and not once was a new method of terrorism discovered before an (failed) attack. All measures taken are to prevent repetition of succesfull terror attacks.

Wisdom demands more, imagination, curiosity and inspiration. Au contraire with knowledge, true wisdom is irrational in the way it changes the concepts.

Sincerely yours,

Pepijn Sweep
Magister Ox:sarcastic:

north

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 10:57 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;146561 wrote:
Not necessarily so. Read an interesting article about the amount of knowledge gathered to prevent terrorism. First the sorting is faulthy, the amount is incomprehensable and not once was a new method of terrorism discovered before an (failed) attack. All measures taken are to prevent repetition of succesfull terror attacks.

agreed

Quote:
Wisdom demands more, imagination, curiosity and inspiration.

agreed

Quote:
Au contraire with knowledge, true wisdom is irrational in the way it changes the concepts.

true wisdom is only irrational to those who don't use reason

and reason , to define it , brings in knowledge naturally

it is the nature of reason , really

Theaetetus

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 11:01 pm
@Karpowich,
Many, many, many mistakes. By making mistakes and acknowledging them, humans are able turn their experience to wisdom. But of course, most humans are too stupid to admit they make mistakes, and as a result, can never become wise.

north

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 11:14 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;147408 wrote:
Many, many, many mistakes. By making mistakes and acknowledging them, humans are able turn their experience to wisdom. But of course, most humans are too stupid to admit they make mistakes, and as a result, can never become wise.

why I'll agree

and the same time the less mistakes the wiser one is

admittence of mistakes could be looked as stupid , I look at it as ego

we have become so deffencive , so as not to look stupid , that to admit so plays on the ego , self esteem , perhaps

trismegisto

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 11:27 pm
@Karpowich,
Karpowich;122677 wrote:
Wisdom is quite different from knowledge. Wisdom is defined as "the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise." You could know all the useless facts in the world, but if you don't know how to manipulate those facts into something that's beneficial to the situations you are thrust into in life, then you are most definitely lacking wisdom. My question is this:[INDENT]
  • If knowledge is attainable through study and academia, then how is wisdom attained?

[/LIST]
[/INDENT]
Wisdom is attained through conscious contemplation. By actively making time every day to contemplate your place in the universe and the actions that brought you to that moment. That is the point where wisdom begins.

north

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 11:43 pm
@trismegisto,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karpowich http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
Wisdom is quite different from knowledge. Wisdom is defined as "the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise." You could know all the useless facts in the world, but if you don't know how to manipulate those facts into something that's beneficial to the situations you are thrust into in life, then you are most definitely lacking wisdom. My question is this:
[INDENT]
[LIST]
[*]If knowledge is attainable through study and academia, then how is wisdom attained?

[/LIST]through wisdom.....[/I] [/INDENT]

---------- Post added 04-02-2010 at 01:49 AM ----------

you don't create wisdom

you discover wisdom

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:20 am
@north,
north;147417 wrote:

[/LIST]
through wisdom.....[/I] [/INDENT]

you don't create wisdom

you discover wisdom

you could listen to Elderly

Oral history to start with, Lores of the World

Old written History

Common sense

Openly discus

Open Forum; let Philosophers their Stoa (shelter sun)

Yoy create Your Wisdom Yourself, with a spark of Spirit
or just spirits

Pepijn the Whaler
:detective:

Fido

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:42 pm
@north,
north;146545 wrote:

Sha... As if anyone would follow...

---------- Post added 04-02-2010 at 03:47 PM ----------

trismegisto;147414 wrote:

[/LIST][/INDENT]Wisdom is attained through conscious contemplation. By actively making time every day to contemplate your place in the universe and the actions that brought you to that moment. That is the point where wisdom begins.

How would anyone go about finding their place in the universe in order to contemplate it??? What if your place in the universe is so distant you have to catch a ride on a comet's tail to get there in a million years??? People have to have understanding to seek knowledge, and knowledge to recognize wisdom, and can anyone believe that people are born with understanding??? Perhaps some people are, alive from their first moments and able to discern as others may not...Or they may be fortunate...

trismegisto

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 02:42 am
@Fido,
Fido;147593 wrote:

How would anyone go about finding their place in the universe in order to contemplate it??? What if your place in the universe is so distant you have to catch a ride on a comet's tail to get there in a million years???

Our place in the universe is a physical location, it's where we are at, individually. It rarely requires finding. Most people are pretty much aware of their place in the universe, but if you happen to find yourself on a comet, I would suggest avoiding the kool-aid.

Fido;147593 wrote:
People have to have understanding to seek knowledge, and knowledge to recognize wisdom, and can anyone believe that people are born with understanding???

I would argue that:

1. we experience.
2. through memory the experience is turned into knowledge.
3. by contemplating knowledge we gain understanding.
4. by acting with understanding we attain wisdom.

All knowledge is remembered. The moment our brain goes online we are gaining understanding.

Fido;147593 wrote:
Perhaps some people are, alive from their first moments and able to discern as others may not...Or they may be fortunate...

I would hope that everyone is alive from their first moments. its hard for dead cells to grow.

Fido

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 05:45 am
@trismegisto,
trismegisto;147767 wrote:
Our place in the universe is a physical location, it's where we are at, individually. It rarely requires finding. Most people are pretty much aware of their place in the universe, but if you happen to find yourself on a comet, I would suggest avoiding the kool-aid.

I would argue that:

1. we experience.
2. through memory the experience is turned into knowledge.
3. by contemplating knowledge we gain understanding.
4. by acting with understanding we attain wisdom.

All knowledge is remembered. The moment our brain goes online we are gaining understanding.

I would hope that everyone is alive from their first moments. its hard for dead cells to grow.

After all my years of searching I have finally found one with the temerity to talk of "Most People". How many most people do you actually know???

If you scratch the cant, and the metaphores we might be able to converse.

trismegisto

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 12:26 pm
@Fido,
Fido;147793 wrote:
After all my years of searching I have finally found one with the temerity to talk of "Most People". How many most people do you actually know???

If you scratch the cant, and the metaphores we might be able to converse.

I see you have no interest in any type of philosophical conversation. You are clearly an idiot who just likes to enflame people. thats fine. MOST PEOPLE get upset with folks like you but i don't mind, I find it boorish but I am used to simple minded people such as yourself.

You go ahead and write your retort, Im sure it sounds much more daring and poetic in your head, but you are going to post your drivel anyways just because you need to have the last word. See you are easy to figure out. Just try and be a bit more creative this time though will you, you last couple of sparks barely caught fire.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 02:48 pm
@trismegisto,
trismegisto;147905 wrote:
I see you have no interest in any type of philosophical conversation. You are clearly an idiot who just likes to enflame people. thats fine. MOST PEOPLE get upset with folks like you but i don't mind, I find it boorish but I am used to simple minded people such as yourself.

You go ahead and write your retort, Im sure it sounds much more daring and poetic in your head, but you are going to post your drivel anyways just because you need to have the last word. See you are easy to figure out. Just try and be a bit more creative this time though will you, you last couple of sparks barely caught fire.

Fido is Right.

Most people is a fine excuse in a democratic organisation. Wisdom is absolute.

Most people are wrong.

Science is more democratic/organised but takes its Time to progress.

Wisdom can by like the Lightning of Zeus or Son.

Wisdom is a Gift of the Gods, not ratio. Ratio enebles Humans to Survive in a Strange World of Complexes of Ideas.

Why was He called thrice elevated ? Are you That ? Would be Fun...:lol:Magister & Mnme Law:brickwall:

trismegisto

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 03:09 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;147941 wrote:
Fido is Right.

Most people is a fine excuse in a democratic organisation. Wisdom is absolute.
Most people are wrong.
Science is more democratic/organised but takes its Time to progress.
Wisdom can by like the Lightning of Zeus or Son.
Wisdom is a Gift of the Gods, not ratio. Ratio enebles Humans to Survive in a Strange World of Complexes of Ideas.
Why was He called thrice elevated ? Are you That ? Would be Fun...Magister & Mnme Law:brickwall:

You are clearly confused. You should go back and actually read the thread before you get sucked into Fido's straw man argument.

Its okay, I won't hold it against it and once you go back and read the post I will gladly accept your apology. I am sure you will concur that MOST PEOPLE know exactly where they are at. Perhaps you and Fido are a bit confused but just ask the next person you come across, I am sure they will be more than happy to tell you where you are at.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 04:04 pm
@trismegisto,
trismegisto;147948 wrote:
You are clearly confused. You should go back and actually read the thread before you get sucked into Fido's straw man argument.

Its okay, I won't hold it against it and once you go back and read the post I will gladly accept your apology. I am sure you will concur that MOST PEOPLE know exactly where they are at. Perhaps you and Fido are a bit confused but just ask the next person you come across, I am sure they will be more than happy to tell you where you are at.

north

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:09 pm
@Fido,
Fido;147593 wrote:

How would anyone go about finding their place in the universe in order to contemplate it??? What if your place in the universe is so distant you have to catch a ride on a comet's tail to get there in a million years??? People have to have understanding to seek knowledge, and knowledge to recognize wisdom, and can anyone believe that people are born with understanding??? Perhaps some people are, alive from their first moments and able to discern as others may not...Or they may be fortunate...

alive and fortunate for themselves

but usally very much alone and misunderstood

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 01:05 am
@north,
north;148069 wrote:
alive and fortunate for themselves

but usally very much alone and misunderstood

I meditate wainting for my mininHP to react

North would be called Septimus something
It's on Olde 1600 maps

trismegisto

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 01:44 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;147966 wrote:

Please stop trying to pretend that you have any notion of Thoth (by the way, if you want to spell it in English, Thoth, is the correct spelling)

You are just rambling here. I am sure you find it amusing to wax with the Lord of Hmnw but its tiresome.

As above - so below.

Now is there anything more about wisdom you wish to discuss?

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 01:55 am
@trismegisto,
trismegisto;148118 wrote:
Please stop trying to pretend that you have any notion of Thoth (by the way, if you want to spell it in English, Thoth, is the correct spelling)

You are just rambling here. I am sure you find it amusing to wax with the Lord of Hmnw but its tiresome.

As above - so below.

Now is there anything more about wisdom you wish to discuss?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 07:36:39