The Selfish Nature Of All Actions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

boagie

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:32 am
@kennethamy,
Originally Posted by kennethamy http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
People can, and do, will to sacrifice themselves for others. If they die in the process, they no longer exist to be fulfilled."

Kennethamy,

Smile At least here you are stating that something is occurring within the subject,if the hero wills his said act it must be fulfilling something,is that not logical?

"Perhaps there are some people who are about to die when they sacrifice themselves for others, outweigh the pain and fear they feel as they do so, but I would not bet that there are very many of them."

Smile I don't mean in the case of self-scarifice that there is a conscious evalutation of the circumstance,even the prime directive is over ridden.Self sacrifice as I stated earlier is of special consideration,and that was explain in a previous post.

"Let me mention, once more, another distinction I have made: the distinction between (1) sacrificing yourself and, as a result, being "fulfilled", and (2) sacrificing yourself with the motive of being "fulfilled". Those are two very different things. But only (2) can be said to be "self-serving".

Smile By motive do you mean a need on the part of the said hero to fulfill his will through said action--that there is intention in the action seems really obvious--what then is intended? Again there just is not the thought process, at least on a conscious level. Why can you not acknowlege that something, which is fulfilled through the said action, is the modivating force, it does not make it any less admireable, it is the height of identifying with, altimate compassion.

Smile You wish to ignore my previous statements about self-sacrifice.I outlined how I thought the process worked, falling much in line with Schopenhaur's thoughts on the subject. Most often the hero states there was no time for thinking, indicating perhaps he was just taken with something, perhaps just as Schopenhaur explained it.

Smile I have no idea what it is that you stuggle so against,is it really such a vile thought, that in order to make a self- sacrifice something must be happening within the subject? Your man seems to be a robot, he has this prime directive to ensure the happyness of others and carries out said directive.

I agree that there is virtue only in what is willed. But it doesn't follow that because you will it, it is virtuous.

Smile Interesting: "what is willed", it is a need, an intent which is willed.

Smile You have a talent for stating the obvious, Choice is the operative word, the right choice might be said too be virtue.

Smile Can you give us some examples of ordinary actions which you believe to be selfless. I repeat again that self-sarifice requires a somewhat different understanding, and that has been outline in a past post, possiably more than once.

Smile Arthur Schopenhauer - Essays and Aphorisms" by Penguin classics from Amazon,------You will find here also, "The Foundations Of Morality."

boagie

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 12:22 pm
@boagie,
Smile With the act of self-sacrifice we feel other people's pain and/or other peoples danger, we identify-with them, so we are still acting in aid of ourselves when we're being selfless. The concept of the self is expanded to include other. Identification-with is the bases of all compassion and compassion is the bases of all morality.

NeitherExtreme

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 02:14 pm
@boagie,
Hmm... interesting reading. Just a question for boagie: Are you saying that no one can be more or less selfless, because all is selfish? If so you seem to be saying that no one can be more or less selfish either. Even if that makes some logical sense, how would you reconcile that with the real world, since we see and feel the effects of "more" selfish people?

Sorry if the question doesn't make much sense, I'm just trying to understand. Surprised

boagie

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 08:30 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
Hmm... interesting reading. Just a question for boagie: Are you saying that no one can be more or less selfless, because all is selfish? If so you seem to be saying that no one can be more or less selfish either. Even if that makes some logical sense, how would you reconcile that with the real world, since we see and feel the effects of "more" selfish people?

Sorry if the question doesn't make much sense, I'm just trying to understand. Surprised

NeitherExtreme,Smile

We all wish we had an understanding of how the world works, if you see identification with as the essence of compassion, and that compassion is the essence of all morality, that is a pretty formidable understanding. Much of the behaviours of humanity can be understood with this insight. Along with the insight that the nature of reality is relational itself, perhaps it is already something that one might start to build a spiritual foundation for ones self in relating to the world. Big fish eats little fish, life lives on life, perhaps there really is nothing happening at all, as life is never threatened with utter extinction through this process. Kind of like a self maintenance program. I am not sure I satisfied your curiousity though, at which point of the process does the process not ring true for you? Think about the Yin Yang symbol, the white dot in the black the black dot within the white, nothing is absolute other but two aspects of one process.

NeitherExtreme

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 08:43 pm
@boagie,
Thanks for the response!

Well, I guess on this topic of self-centered motives I just can't buy the idea that all actions are equally self-centered (if by self-centered we mean selfish). But if you said that in every action there is a least a hint of self-centered motive somewhere, I don't think I'd have too much of a problem with that. But I realize that is based on a whole lot of beliefs on which we might not completely agree.

As far as the broader picture goes, I actually started a thread about that as kind of a second introduction to myself. Check it out if you'd like...
http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/epistemology/653-my-perspective-truth.html

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 09:34 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Desire is the cause of action.

Desire cannot be anything but self-involved.

All action is selfish.

Suppose I desire to kill myself. Would my killing myself be a selfish action?
In fact, desire is not always the cause of action. For example, I do not desire to visit my sick aunt in the hospital. I dislike by aunt. I am afraid of hospitals. It nauseates me horribly to go to a hospital. I desire not to go to the hospital. Yet, I am going to the hospital. Therefore, my going to the hospital to visit my aunt is the very last thing I desire to do. So when I go, I will not be going because I desire to go. On the contrary! It will be because I have to go.

boagie

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 09:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy,Smile

If you still do not get it, you never will. Dancing in circles is out of fashion.Wink

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 09:53 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kennethamy,Smile

If you still do not get it, you never will. Dancing in circles is out of fashion.Wink

What a powerful objection! I never thought of that. You mean I really only think I don't want to go to see my sick aunt, and all this nausea I feel is only an illusion? Now, that makes me feel a lot better about the visit. Thanks!

boagie

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
What a powerful objection! I never thought of that. You mean I really only think I don't want to go to see my sick aunt, and all this nausea I feel is only an illusion? Now, that makes me feel a lot better about the visit. Thanks!

kennethamy,Smile

Clear it all up for us kennethamy, tell us how it is! what is your theory seeing as you cannot except this one, how does this thing called compassion and morality work kennethamy, it is time you layed it all out for us kennethamy.Wink

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:14 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kennethamy,Smile

Clear it all up for us kennethamy, tell us how it is! what is your theory seeing as you cannot except this one, how does this thing called compassion and morality work kennethamy, it is time you layed it all out for us kennethamy.Wink

Does that mean that you accept that we do not always desire to do the actions we do? For, I don't have to have a theory of action, or compassion, or morality, in order to point out that obvious fact. I do not desire to visit my aunt, and yet I am going to visit her. What part of that don't you understand?

boagie

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:29 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Does that mean that you accept that we do not always desire to do the actions we do? For, I don't have to have a theory of action, or compassion, or morality, in order to point out that obvious fact. I do not desire to visit my aunt, and yet I am going to visit her. What part of that don't you understand?

kennethamy,Sad

I am saying lets hear your theory, enough of the little abstract negative tangents of yours, give us the goods on this kennethamy! I am all ears how does it work kennethamy, surely after such a journey you are going to fill us in on the big picture?:confused:

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:44 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kennethamy,Sad

I am saying lets hear your theory, enough of the little abstract negative tangents of yours, give us the goods on this kennethamy! I am all ears how does it work kennethamy, surely after such a journey you are going to fill us in on the big picture?:confused:

It's not abstract or a tangent at all. It is quite concrete, and directly to the point. It was claimed that whenever anyone does an action, he always desires to do it. I said that was not true in my case because I was going to visit my sick aunt in the hospital, not because I desired to do it, since I not only did not desire to do it, but I hated to do it, and it made me feel sick to do it. I was going to do it because I had to do it. So what is abstract or tangential about that? Theories are abstract. Facts are not. And the theory that no one does anything except if he desires to do it has to take account of the fact I have just pointed to. So, either the theory has to be given up, or else, somehow, the fact that contradicts it has to be shown not to be a fact. There are no two ways about that. Now, what part of that don't you understand? I have no theory except that people do not always do what they want to do. But I never thought that was a theory, at all! I thought that was just the common experience of us all. If it isn't part of your experience, then I have to tell you that you must be one lucky person, never to have had to do what you did not want to do. However did that happen?

Justin

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 07:00 am
@boagie,
Two post were removed due to personal attacks rather than intelligent conversation. Please refrain from poking each other with personal insults. Thank you!

Harby phil

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 04:34 pm
@Justin,
Wow, you guys certainly didn't make this thread easy to read. If you intended to help other forum users by your posts kennethamy, you failed.

Anyhow, lets first solve the problem of semantics. I don't understand why such a problem was made out of it, words are made by humans and can be twisted by humans, they are, believe it or not, not set in stone.

Now, what I understand boagie was saying is that an action is only taken when it is needed or desired on the primal level, therefore an action translates to a need or desire and fulfilling the need or desire brings a certain "Good" feeling which is, in retrospect, the actual fulfillment of the need or desire which we are not aware of conciously. Sort of like an instinct.
Therefore action, or rather the intention of it (as actions may backfire) exists primarily to help the agent, and only secondly to affect another person or not.

Lets call that "Good" feeling the acquiring of "Psychological/Spiritual Gratification", or in short "PSG". Now, the theory proposed states that each action is subconciously (or unrelated to conciousness at all) motivated by the acquisition of PSG, therefore both "Good", "Bad" and "Neutral" deeds are all performed in the search of PSG. Whether or not PSG is the cause or the effect of the action, it is always the motivator.

There, didn't use the term "Selfish" anywhere, happy?

Furthermore, your argument of boagie not knowing what was in the Fallen SEALS head was ludicrous, you didn't know it either! He might have very well, by your logic atleast, tossed himself on the grenade cause he thought it to be a potato and he was so hungry. Can you prove this is not the case? What is not speculation when regarding that example?

PS: boagie, The 2nd chapter (and more if there are any) of "What is Man?" is missing, may you have another link? I've wholeheartedly agreed with the first one, which seems to focus mostly on Determinism rather than this topic though...

EDIT: Here's an excerpt from one of my posts on a different forum of this subject:
Quote:
Now we get to your altruistic nature, the "most good with least bad" argument.
Here's some news, true altruism does not infact exist, everything is selfish. Here is the proposed situation:
You're sitting in a buss and an elderly woman enters it at the station. There are no seats left, therefore you let her take yours as you can endure standing anyway. Did you do it solely to help her? Did you not feel good when you did that? Yes, you indeed felt quite good, infact you felt more good than if you kept your seat. It may not seem to you like a selfish act at the time, but it really was. Granted, it benefited both but trust me it was selfish. Furthermore, there is a threshold at which you would be so tired as to recieve more gratification from keeping the seat, yet still the more tired you are the more gratification you would feel if you stood up as well.

Everything you do is selfish cause it:
1. Is an action that represents who you are or want to be.
2. Is an action that benefits you in some way.
I challenge you to name one deed that one can do completely selflessly, one. Everything you do can and is selfish, even if you choose not to do something good for you to spite me, you're doing it to emphasize that you are strong of will, another selfish act.
It all stems from nature really, all instincts are selfish. Animals feed to survive. Animals tend to their offsprings to help improve the chances of their genes get passed on. Everything is selfish in one way or another, throught any life forms, sapient or otherwise.

Infact, the reason people demonize selfishness is purely selfish, to help itself grow in a stable manner. Society has created an elaborate lie, called being "Benevolent" or "Good", when infact you have no reason to be or act so other than you were raised to be this way, therefore believing this to be true, and each action of "Good" in return gives you selfish gratification. I don't believe being "Good" is at all bad (put intended), but don't lie to yourself its any less selfish than simply directly helping just yourself. Granted, being "Good" helps other people as well most of the time, but I reiterate that it still stems from the gratification recieved by the act.
Therefore we come to two conclusions:
1. You are not as righteous as you pass the belief you are, as every act of "Good" you do in turn helps you and the image you created of yourself.
2. Smokers find it a "Good" thing to smoke, as there is no apparent way of doing something that is not helpful to the acting person somehow.

Don't think the fact we have concious awareness and are able to think has any influence on the matter, even with the largest degree of thought involved into doing/not doing an action that is selfish, you still act selfish by the very act as you will recieve gratification for being able to do/not do that action. One can f/ex either share a glass of water with a fellow thirsty person or take it whole for himself, in either way he benefits the same. Ah, but what of Regret? What if he chose to take the whole glass and not share, then after regret his decision? Still selfish, he believes he just wasn't selfish enough as he'd recieve more gratification if both of their thirsts have been sated. One could even say that regret is only experienced when someone was not selfish enough, or in other words, recieves less gratification than he believed he could.

Now one might argue that the gratification comes after the act, therefore the motive is infact selfless, but I don't believe that to be the case as I already stated that there is no (known, prove me wrong please) example of a completely non-selfish deed. Furthermore, as I touched the instinct issue already, its probably within us to be selfish from before we're even born, therefore the prerequisite and motive for all actions is already there.

Just imagine every "selfish" is replaced by the appropriate usage of "PSG". And yes, it was somewhat related to smoking and the other party thinking smokers as sub-human... Just skip anything smoking related.

boagie

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 05:19 pm
@Harby phil,
Harby,Smile

Smile Actually Harby you have a full grasp of the topic. To substitute a term or a symbol to avoid the problem would be redudant in most cases. The terms just are not that difficult to understand. It most definately can be made problem as this thread so indicates. If there is any further resistence however I would be most please to see you handle it with your method.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:25 pm
@boagie,
I have a question for those who argue that all actions are selfish. What would a non-selfish action look like, as opposed to a selfish action?

boagie

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 10:04 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Smile An action which might be termed completely selfless might be an epileptic seizure. Perhaps the functions of the brain stem as well, any thing which might fall under involentary function. All other actions fulfill the conscious intent/modivation of a subject.Wink

All truth goes through three stages. First it is ridiculed. Then it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self evident." Schopenhaur

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 05:03 am
@Dexter78,
Dexter78 wrote:
Perhaps what needs to change is the perception that selfishness is an inherently negative trait, which is of course why no one wants to think they are selfish. In the story of the man who saves the other man from falling into a canyon because he would be unable to live with himself, both parties benefited and little if any harm was done to anyone as a result of this action. Based on what was said about mirror neurons, which appear to be the source of empathy, then from this understanding it seems a selfless act is impossible since it would require a lack of wanting any dersire to do anything, such an entity would be a programmed robot, unless someone can think of another example of how a selfless act it possible. A dog protecting it's master is selfless in that it's doesn't desire, but it is instinct-driven, so would it still qualify as selfless. For the religious, this would mean that their God is either a purely apathetic being or the most selfish entity that can possibly exist. Personally, I am not bothered if my actions have a selfish thread to them since it would need to be shown to me why ignoring myself is good.

The question is why you seem to think that because I want to do something that I do, that the action is selfish? The fact that I want to help someone in distress at a cost to myself does not mean that the action is selfish. Why should it? Selfish actions are actions which benefit the doer at the expense of others. The mere fact that an action is voluntary does not make it a selfish action. It is that premise that needs questioning.

Harby phil

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 09:21 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
The question is why you seem to think that because I want to do something that I do, that the action is selfish? The fact that I want to help someone in distress at a cost to myself does not mean that the action is selfish. Why should it? Selfish actions are actions which benefit the doer at the expense of others. The mere fact that an action is voluntary does not make it a selfish action. It is that premise that needs questioning.

The premise that you believe words and languages to be exact and infallible is the questionable thing here.

Why can you not grasp that, atleast in this scenario, selfishness is merely the act of primarily benefiting oneself with possible effects on others which may either be good, bad or neutral.

I'll even reword your post for you with this change:

Quote:
The question is why you seem to think that because I want to do something that I do, that the action is self-benneficient primarily? The fact that I want to help someone in distress at a cost to myself does not mean that the action is primarily done for myself. Why should it? Actions that primarily benefit yourself are actions which benefit the doer at the expense of others*. The mere fact that an action is voluntary does not make it a primarily self-benefiting action. It is that premise that needs questioning

*not true anymore

There.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 05:50 pm
@Bii,
Bii wrote:
Perhaps the use of the term 'selfishness' is what causes people to have a problem with the premise as selfishness is something people are generally taught is a negative trait. However, I entirely agree that all action is motivated by self interest, whether it is because the action makes you feel good, or because the choice you make is a 'lesser of two evils' choice. I think the only addition I would make to this premise is that people will generally put survival first, and 'happiness' next.

I guess this then leaves the question, 'what is altruism' and 'does altruism exist'? I think it still does but perhaps the goalposts should be moved and altruism relates to the individual's ability to gain pleasure (and therefore generate self interest) in doing good deeds for other people. Accepting that the motive is still self interest, there are people who enjoy doing good deeds for others, and those that don't (and a whole range in between!). Those who can gain pleasure from helping others are altrustic.

But no one has to be either an altruist, or selfish. Those are not the only alternatives. Why can't you simply do something neither to benefit someone else, nor to benefit yourself at the expense of someone else. For instance: suppose I just go to sleep because I am tired. That is not altruistic. And that is not selfish. It benefits no one, and it harms no one. Most of our actions are neither altruistic nor are they, selfish. They are neutral.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/11/2024 at 12:11:46