The Selfish Nature Of All Actions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Irishcop

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:57 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Yes, I read some of it. And Twain also seems to think he can determine what goes on in the minds of people who do good things for others, and who sacrifice themselves for others, in the absence of any evidence, but on the basis of some vague analogy between human beings and machines, which he has not bothered to substantiate either. Just what makes you think that this analogy (and that is all it is) is correct?

kennethamy,

The analogy at first seems to propose a very unaltruistic few of humanity, and I was in agreement with you. However, if you read on, the analogy suggests that all things ultimately come from The Maker of the machine.
In simplicity, all things come from God.

Selfish in this context, is not the selfish that we look upon as a negative attribute. Rather, here selfish is everything in us as an individual, as a self, that programs how we perceive, process, and feel: and compels us act.

So then, even self-less acts of kindness, and sacrifice, do not find their source in us, it is a resource in us that comes from our Maker. Thus, we are compelled, by the programing in us to throw ourselves on a grenade for our buddies, because that goodness was put into us from the beginning.

But it was the right person, at the right moment who saved those men with his own sacrifice. And, no greater love hath a man than to give his life for his friends. This Petty Officer had that love, but the source of love is his Maker, not the Petty Officer.

That takes nothing away from his heroism, it was a virtue he possessed that saved his squad. Rightfully, he should be honored, he did a very self-less act, that saved those men. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, had that been somebody else they might have pushed somebody on the grenade, or ran screaming, or froze.

boagie

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:01 am
@Irishcop,
Irishcop,kennethamy Smile

Actually the conclusions we draw it would seem depends upon what we bring to the problem,Mark Twain was an atheist,but if in your conclusion about the maker of the machine,the term god can mean simply the source, all is kosher.

Irish,I think the point is here that there is no pure ultralistic motive,and if the source of this goodness is not to be found in the individual then Christianity's concept of freewill is history.I agree the relation Twain is talking about is not looking after number one at the expense of other/s,just that there are criteria of self-interest which must be met if one is to act.

I would like to get into Schopenhaurs perspective on this and what that amounts to is still self-interest,however the self embraces other.The illusion of the separateness created by time and space is broken through and you are the other, rather, other ceases to be other.This sense of identifing with other, as one self, is also the source I believe of compassion.As Schopenhaur stated you can see it in smaller ways in your daily life,with people doing kind things for one another,indeed if there were no ability to identify with, there would be no compassion, thus no heroic actions.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:04 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kennethamy,

You most definitely seem to have your mind made up that there is no need for further discussion.It did not sound like you even finished the piece,the material is in line with the topic as listed.If you find it to disturbing that hero worship might be more complex than surface observations then I guess there is no discussion.Do you have a statement you would like to make about the nature of self-sarifice,something more developed than you admire those who make the sarifice?

The issue is not whether my mind is made up. The issue is what the evidence is for the analogy between machines and people that Twain draws. He simply supposes it is true. And, as I have pointed out, in a number of places Twain ascribes motives to people who have sacrificed themselves about which he could have no way a knowing. It is a farrago of speculation by someone who has no evidence. Fantasy, not philosophy. There is a difference. John Searle has an essay on the implications of neurobiology for free will which draws on neurobiological evidence which Twain could not have been aware of, and examines what neurobiology implies for human freedom, and more importantly, what it does not. Twain was a witty and intelligent man, but he knew nothing about what he was talking about. He couldn't have.

Your criticisms of me are just abusive ad hominems, and are irrelevant to what I wrote.

boagie

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 10:08 am
@kennethamy,
sorry you feel that way.Smile

Actually Twains work here follows a logical progression,you are the first one I know to read it not to have found it so.Perhaps you could point out when you finish the article,where Mark Twains logic fails,that might be a considerable contribution.Wink

Irishcop

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 02:03 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Irishcop,kennethamy Smile

Actually the conclusions we draw it would seem depends upon what we bring to the problem,Mark Twain was an atheist,but if in your conclusion about the maker of the machine,the term god can mean simply the source, all is kosher.

Irish,I think the point is here that there is no pure ultralistic motive,and if the source of this goodness is not to be found in the individual then Christianity's concept of freewill is history.I agree the relation Twain is talking about is not looking after number one at the expense of other/s,just that there are criteria of self-interest which must be met if one is to act.

I would like to get into Schopenhaurs perspective on this and what that amounts to is still self-interest,however the self embraces other.The illusion of the separateness created by time and space is broken through and you are the other, rather, other ceases to be other.This sense of identifing with other, as one self, is also the source I believe of compassion.As Schopenhaur stated you can see it in smaller ways in your daily life,with people doing kind things for one another,indeed if there were no ability to identify with, there would be no compassion, thus no heroic actions.

Yes, I know he was an Atheist, however that did not seem to detract him from a profound observance. It is inescapably God that he alludes to. He even mentions Adam and ascribes to the maker as God.
For whatever reason, Twain simply didn't ascribe to his own philosophy. Whether cognative of it or not, Twain paralleled the Bible, where it states all things were made by God, and nothing was made by anyone other than God.
Even Jesus said that He recieved nothing except by the Father. This a deep and still body of water, bigger than both of us, and apparently bigger than Twain. You wanted wonder, there it is.
As to the free will we've bantered about, that has been pondered by Saints and Sages too, with no clear resolution.
Is foreknowledge predestination? By Biblical canon, in some capacity free will must be totally within us, as the Bible says that the borders of Hell has had to be expanded.
Yet, the Bible says that from the beginning, God as known each individual.
Insomuch as I accept the fundamental principle, of Twain's analogy, I hold some reservation on the issue of freewill.

boagie

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 02:47 pm
@Irishcop,
Irishcop,Smile

Mark Twain wasn't stupid:p ,he knew he could not afford to speak freely in his own time.As a matter of fact there was a book released I think in the sixties,that had been withheld from the public and from publication by his family,in keeping with his wishes.He wrote it would never have been accepted in his own time.It was called,"Letters From The Earth",the devil writing letters to the angels that have not fallen,about humanity and what they believe--perphaps the devoted would have difficulty enjoying it.At the time this book came out or shortly there after, Mark Twain's works like Tom Sawyer ect.., were taken out of the public libraries,seems he had not waited long enough,in a year or so they decided to return them to the library.Google it, I am sure it is still floating around out there!! Very Happy

kennethamy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 03:55 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
sorry you feel that way.Smile

Actually Twains work here follows a logical progression,you are the first one I know to read it not to have found it so.Perhaps you could point out when you finish the article,where Mark Twains logic fails,that might be a considerable contribution.Wink

I am not sure what a "logical progression" is. But, in any case, Twain simply assumes an analogy between Man and machine, but giving no evidence for such an analogy. So the "logical progression", as you call it, is based on an analogy for which Twain provides no evidence. Does that bother you?

boagie

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 04:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I am not sure what a "logical progression" is. But, in any case, Twain simply assumes an analogy between Man and machine, but giving no evidence for such an analogy. So the "logical progression", as you call it, is based on an analogy for which Twain provides no evidence. Does that bother you?

In the dialogue between the old man and the young man there is a logical development through question and answer which is logical,that might be termed a logical progression.If you find the logic faulty then address that aspect you find faulty. If it cannot found where Twain's logic is faulty then that pretty much serves as proof to most people,does it not? Why do I supspect you have not read it in its entirety even at this point? Again if you do not wish to discuss this in relation to the said materal that is just fine with me.As I asked you earlier,make a statement about the nature of self-sacarifice and we will try to deal with it on your terms,if not, I am personally through here.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:45 am
@Irishcop,
Irishcop wrote:
kennethamy,

The analogy at first seems to propose a very unaltruistic few of humanity, and I was in agreement with you. However, if you read on, the analogy suggests that all things ultimately come from The Maker of the machine.
In simplicity, all things come from God.

Selfish in this context, is not the selfish that we look upon as a negative attribute. Rather, here selfish is everything in us as an individual, as a self, that programs how we perceive, process, and feel: and compels us act.

So then, even self-less acts of kindness, and sacrifice, do not find their source in us, it is a resource in us that comes from our Maker. Thus, we are compelled, by the programing in us to throw ourselves on a grenade for our buddies, because that goodness was put into us from the beginning.

But it was the right person, at the right moment who saved those men with his own sacrifice. And, no greater love hath a man than to give his life for his friends. This Petty Officer had that love, but the source of love is his Maker, not the Petty Officer.

That takes nothing away from his heroism, it was a virtue he possessed that saved his squad. Rightfully, he should be honored, he did a very self-less act, that saved those men. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, had that been somebody else they might have pushed somebody on the grenade, or ran screaming, or froze.

To be selfish is, to attempt to act as the expense of others so as to get things one is not entitled to. Wherever that motive comes from, it makes no difference. But it is false that just because I do what I desire to do, I am , therefore, acting selfishly. For I may desire to do things which are not at the expense of others, nor to get something to which I am not entitled. For instance, I may simply go to sleep because I am tired. That is not a selfish action in any sense of that term. Although it is a self-interested action. Or, if I buy a piece of cheese and eat it, that is not a selfish action. And even if I give charity to a beggar, if I do that at no one's expense, or take something to which I am not entitled, that is not a selfish action. It is not a selfish action even if it makes me feel good to give alms to a beggar. For I may not give alms to the beggar in order to feel good about it. And even if I do give alms to the beggar in order to feel good about it, why is that selfish? I have affected no one adversely, or taken anything I am not entitled to.

The view depends on the assumption that whenever a person does something because he wants to do it, such an action is selfish. But there is nothing, so far as I can tell, to be said for that assumption. And what any of this has to do with the view that man is a "machine" (whatever that means) is more than I can see either. Twain is writing literature, not philosophy, and his argument (or rather, poetic analogy) such as it is, cannot stand up to any critical scrutiny.

And calling an act of heroism "selfish" takes everything away from that act, and denigrates it. Words have meanings, and "selfish" has a negative force. It makes no sense to say that X's was acting selfishly, but that doesn't mean he was not acting properly.

Irishcop

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 08:03 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
To be selfish is, to attempt to act as the expense of others so as to get things one is not entitled to. Wherever that motive comes from, it makes no difference. But it is false that just because I do what I desire to do, I am , therefore, acting selfishly. For I may desire to do things which are not at the expense of others, nor to get something to which I am not entitled. For instance, I may simply go to sleep because I am tired. That is not a selfish action in any sense of that term. Although it is a self-interested action. Or, if I buy a piece of cheese and eat it, that is not a selfish action. And even if I give charity to a beggar, if I do that at no one's expense, or take something to which I am not entitled, that is not a selfish action. It is not a selfish action even if it makes me feel good to give alms to a beggar. For I may not give alms to the beggar in order to feel good about it. And even if I do give alms to the beggar in order to feel good about it, why is that selfish? I have affected no one adversely, or taken anything I am not entitled to.

The view depends on the assumption that whenever a person does something because he wants to do it, such an action is selfish. But there is nothing, so far as I can tell, to be said for that assumption. And what any of this has to do with the view that man is a "machine" (whatever that means) is more than I can see either. Twain is writing literature, not philosophy, and his argument (or rather, poetic analogy) such as it is, cannot stand up to any critical scrutiny.

And calling an act of heroism "selfish" takes everything away from that act, and denigrates it. Words have meanings, and "selfish" has a negative force. It makes no sense to say that X's was acting selfishly, but that doesn't mean he was not acting properly.

You are disagreeing on the basis of semantics, or the analogy's ultimate conclusion?
My knee-jerk reaction was repulsion to the postulate of Boagie's (and Twain's) post. However, when I read the analogy to it's conclusion, I comprehended what the analogy taught, which I have already posted.

Believing scripture that backs the analogy I was forced to accept the postulate. By force, I don't imply that the fiber of my opinion on the subject changed, merely my opinion of the postulate. "Selfish" is a confusing term in this context, I believe "Selfness" would have been better for the palate.
That notwithstanding self-ish is applicable-ish too.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:32 am
@Bii,
Bii wrote:
Perhaps the use of the term 'selfishness' is what causes people to have a problem with the premise as selfishness is something people are generally taught is a negative trait. However, I entirely agree that all action is motivated by self interest, whether it is because the action makes you feel good, or because the choice you make is a 'lesser of two evils' choice. I think the only addition I would make to this premise is that people will generally put survival first, and 'happiness' next.

I guess this then leaves the question, 'what is altruism' and 'does altruism exist'? I think it still does but perhaps the goalposts should be moved and altruism relates to the individual's ability to gain pleasure (and therefore generate self interest) in doing good deeds for other people. Accepting that the motive is still self interest, there are people who enjoy doing good deeds for others, and those that don't (and a whole range in between!). Those who can gain pleasure from helping others are altrustic.

Even if, in fact, there were no altruistic behavior, it would not mean that all behavior was selfish behavior. For altruism and selfishness are not the only two alternatives. When I go to sleep at night because I am tired, that is neither altruistic nor is it selfish. I am not trying to benefit others, nor am I affecting any other person adversely by doing something at his expense.

And, even if altruistic behavior is accompanied by the pleasure of helping others, it is not self-interested behavior unless it is done in order, and with the purpose, of achieving pleasure by helping others. And, I may very well want to help someone simply because I pity him, and not in order to gain pleasure by helping him, even if when I help him I do gain pleasure.

In fact, if I help a person in order to gain pleasure by doing so that may prevent me from gaining pleasure from doing so, because it will mean that my helping him was done from self-interest, and thus I would be deprived of the pleasure of helping him. That is the paradox of trying to gain pleasure from acting from a selfish motive. If I succeed, then I will fail. It is a little bit like being good so that Santa will bring you presents. If that is why you are good, Santa will know, and not bring you presents.

boagie

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 02:38 pm
@kennethamy,
A case for altrusim:)

http://blindedscience.blogspot.com:80/2007/06/family-ties.html

It would seem Schopenhaur's theory might hold even for the plant world.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 01:57 pm
@Dexter78,
Dexter78 wrote:
I tend to agree that there is a selfish component in all human action, but I wonder if it is always to root cause. With charity, people may give $5 or $10, which is likely very little expense to themselves, and in return they get to feel good, and I would say that this is a fairly shallow, selfish act.

You make it sound as if before a person gives charity, he says to himself something like, "This is a pain, but I am going to do it, since I know after I do it, I will feel a rush. So, I'll do it for that feeling, although I really don't want to hand that beggar my 5 dollars. Why doesn't he go to work?" It may be that a person does feel good after he gives the charity, but do you think that people who give charity do so just because they expect to feel good after they do it? It seems to me that if someone was motivated in such a way, that it would be hard for him to feel good about giving charity, because he would know he did it only in order to feel good about it. Maybe some people operate that way, but I doubt very much that most people who give charity do. It sounds to me a little self-defeating. I know that if I did something for someone just in order for me to feel good, and not caring about the person I helped, I would not feel good about helping him, since I would then know I did it for self-interested reasons. (I think, by the way, that you are confusing self-interest with selfishness. Even if I do give money to a beggar in order to feel good about it, that is not being selfish, since I am not doing anything at the expense of another person. Certainly not the beggar).

boagie

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 04:46 pm
@kennethamy,
Smile This might help clear some confusion, although Twains little story is very good.Actually this fellow is not the most articulate but the link on psychological egoism should straighten out any problems of understanding,if not, Elvis has done left the building!

This is a continuation of an atheistic ethic that I'm arguing for.:eek:

I think there is an element of self-interest in almost every act we do, which is the position of modified psychological egoism, and might be better called "predominant egotism." I view altruistic acts and self-interested acts on a continuum,with one side representing acts that are almost completely self-interested ones, and the other side representing those acts we would call altruistic but which nearly all contain some self-interest in them. Let me present my case.

To show this let me take some of the toughest scenarios, then in a later post I'll deal with some objections to what I'm saying.

1) How do you deal with the obvious counterevidence against psychological egoism provided by, say, the firefighters on 9/11. What does it mean to say that their actions, which apparently resulted in their risking their lives for others, were really selfish?

In the first place I'm not saying their actions were selfish. As I argued earlier, I made a distinction between selfish acts and rational self-interested acts. Selfish acts do not gain a person happiness in the long run.

These firefighters have been trained to do a job. Their reputation is on the line. They have accepted the challenge of seeing how many people they can save. They did not think they would die in the process. Besides, people do risky behavior all of the time, most of it for fun. People enjoy taking risks and accepting challenges, especially if they can get paid for it. They also love the mutual respect from other firefighters (and policemen) for being a part of an organization that saves lifes.

Of course, some of them may have been operating from the delusion that God will reward them in heaven. But if this life is all there is, and we will die one way or another, then why not be remembered for doing great deeds? For the egoist that might be the only way for your life to count. If however, someone shirks in the face of responsibility, and saves his life while letting others die, he is known as a coward from that day onward. Sometimes in such a situation as this, it's better to die and be remembered as a great person than to live with the social shame and loss of employment in the only job said person ever wanted to do.

2) The "Freedom Rider" who went south to work for civil rights at the potential -- and actual -- risk of his life to benefit people he did not know, and in so doing expanding their own political power and rights, lessening his own or those of his family and friends.

What must be understood is that human beings enjoy a challenge. They enjoy fighting a good fight and winning, like any contest. They also have a need to belong. So they join causes to belong. Life would be boring if they didn't. Those who fought and won can say they accomplished something great in this life. Why was this considered a good fight? Because whenever the rights of some people can be denied in a democracy then the rights of all people are at risk. Many of them did so because they had friends who were black, so it was personal with them. Many of them did so because they couldn't stomach their own country. They might've thought, "If this was my country, and I am a part-owner of its policies, then I object to what I am allowing to happen, since I value freedom for all. I don't like who I am for allowing it." To deny anyone rights is to deny everyone's rights to some degree. It's about the kind of country they wanted to live in, and they valued the rights of everyone, because everyone includes themselves and their kin.

Why should they care about anyone else? Largely because they care for themselves. How many times have you heard that in order to love others you must first love yourself? Once people do care for themselves, in the rational self-interested sense I've previously argued for, they will quite naturally love others.

3) The soldier who sees the war he is fighting is lost, but who continues to fight on and even go on a 'suicide mission' out of a sense of honor or duty.

Once a soldier is in an army he gives up his rights to his own life. At that point he's already committed to the possibility he might die. He was either forced into the army (in other countries) or he volunteered. If he volunteered he didn't volunteer to die, although some volunteers are not acting rationally in that they just may want to die. He volunteered for the challenge. Some of these volunteers saw no better option, given the fact that they needed structure in their life and couldn't do well out in a free society. Some wanted the hope of an education. Some are raised in military families who highly prize their service in defense of their country, so they might not know anything different. Seeing how his family highly values military service, he will probably do so as well. As a soldier he is also trained to follow orders and it's terribly difficult to disobey such a command, since his mission may help save other soldiers in the field, and since being a deserter brings shame upon him and his family as a punishable crime. No one knows for sure it's a suicide mission, either. And no one knows for sure the war is lost, since a soldier on the field doesn't have all of the information needed to make that judgment. He's defending his homeland, his family and his friends, even if the war is in fact "lost." And since we are all going to die anyway, what better way to die than to be a hero, since being remembered well is the only thing a man has to live on after he dies.

4) The soldier who falls on a grenade to save his fox hole buddies.

Once the grenade hits the dirt this soldier is dead anyway, one way or another. If he chooses to run away, his life will never be the same, even if he does get lucky to save his own skin, and that's not sure. The guilt will be unbearable if he lives. Like Sophia in the movie "Sophia's Choice," she died the day she chose to save one of her children while letting the Nazi take the other one away. So why not do what the soldier was trained to do and save others by falling on the grenade? In the process he will be remembered as a hero, and by saving others who will continue to fight he will help protect those who will remember him back home.

5) Why should we care for pets? Because they give us pleasure. It makes us feel loved. They make us laugh. To hurt them is not acting rational. It would betray a hatred for oneself, and that's not acting out of rational self-interest.

read more...:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_egoism Wink

kennethamy

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 09:03 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Smile This might help clear some confusion, although Twains little story is very good.Actually this fellow is not the most articulate but the link on psychological egoism should straighten out any problems of understanding,if not, Elvis has done left the building!

This is a continuation of an atheistic ethic that I'm arguing for.:eek:

I think there is an element of self-interest in almost every act we do, which is the position of modified psychological egoism, and might be better called "predominant egotism." I view altruistic acts and self-interested acts on a continuum,with one side representing acts that are almost completely self-interested ones, and the other side representing those acts we would call altruistic but which nearly all contain some self-interest in them. Let me present my case.

To show this let me take some of the toughest scenarios, then in a later post I'll deal with some objections to what I'm saying.

1) How do you deal with the obvious counterevidence against psychological egoism provided by, say, the firefighters on 9/11. What does it mean to say that their actions, which apparently resulted in their risking their lives for others, were really selfish?

In the first place I'm not saying their actions were selfish. As I argued earlier, I made a distinction between selfish acts and rational self-interested acts. Selfish acts do not gain a person happiness in the long run.

These firefighters have been trained to do a job. Their reputation is on the line. They have accepted the challenge of seeing how many people they can save. They did not think they would die in the process. Besides, people do risky behavior all of the time, most of it for fun. People enjoy taking risks and accepting challenges, especially if they can get paid for it. They also love the mutual respect from other firefighters (and policemen) for being a part of an organization that saves lifes.

Of course, some of them may have been operating from the delusion that God will reward them in heaven. But if this life is all there is, and we will die one way or another, then why not be remembered for doing great deeds? For the egoist that might be the only way for your life to count. If however, someone shirks in the face of responsibility, and saves his life while letting others die, he is known as a coward from that day onward. Sometimes in such a situation as this, it's better to die and be remembered as a great person than to live with the social shame and loss of employment in the only job said person ever wanted to do.

2) The "Freedom Rider" who went south to work for civil rights at the potential -- and actual -- risk of his life to benefit people he did not know, and in so doing expanding their own political power and rights, lessening his own or those of his family and friends.

What must be understood is that human beings enjoy a challenge. They enjoy fighting a good fight and winning, like any contest. They also have a need to belong. So they join causes to belong. Life would be boring if they didn't. Those who fought and won can say they accomplished something great in this life. Why was this considered a good fight? Because whenever the rights of some people can be denied in a democracy then the rights of all people are at risk. Many of them did so because they had friends who were black, so it was personal with them. Many of them did so because they couldn't stomach their own country. They might've thought, "If this was my country, and I am a part-owner of its policies, then I object to what I am allowing to happen, since I value freedom for all. I don't like who I am for allowing it." To deny anyone rights is to deny everyone's rights to some degree. It's about the kind of country they wanted to live in, and they valued the rights of everyone, because everyone includes themselves and their kin.

Why should they care about anyone else? Largely because they care for themselves. How many times have you heard that in order to love others you must first love yourself? Once people do care for themselves, in the rational self-interested sense I've previously argued for, they will quite naturally love others.

3) The soldier who sees the war he is fighting is lost, but who continues to fight on and even go on a 'suicide mission' out of a sense of honor or duty.

Once a soldier is in an army he gives up his rights to his own life. At that point he's already committed to the possibility he might die. He was either forced into the army (in other countries) or he volunteered. If he volunteered he didn't volunteer to die, although some volunteers are not acting rationally in that they just may want to die. He volunteered for the challenge. Some of these volunteers saw no better option, given the fact that they needed structure in their life and couldn't do well out in a free society. Some wanted the hope of an education. Some are raised in military families who highly prize their service in defense of their country, so they might not know anything different. Seeing how his family highly values military service, he will probably do so as well. As a soldier he is also trained to follow orders and it's terribly difficult to disobey such a command, since his mission may help save other soldiers in the field, and since being a deserter brings shame upon him and his family as a punishable crime. No one knows for sure it's a suicide mission, either. And no one knows for sure the war is lost, since a soldier on the field doesn't have all of the information needed to make that judgment. He's defending his homeland, his family and his friends, even if the war is in fact "lost." And since we are all going to die anyway, what better way to die than to be a hero, since being remembered well is the only thing a man has to live on after he dies.

4) The soldier who falls on a grenade to save his fox hole buddies.

Once the grenade hits the dirt this soldier is dead anyway, one way or another. If he chooses to run away, his life will never be the same, even if he does get lucky to save his own skin, and that's not sure. The guilt will be unbearable if he lives. Like Sophia in the movie "Sophia's Choice," she died the day she chose to save one of her children while letting the Nazi take the other one away. So why not do what the soldier was trained to do and save others by falling on the grenade? In the process he will be remembered as a hero, and by saving others who will continue to fight he will help protect those who will remember him back home.

5) Why should we care for pets? Because they give us pleasure. It makes us feel loved. They make us laugh. To hurt them is not acting rational. It would betray a hatred for oneself, and that's not acting out of rational self-interest.

read more...:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_egoism Wink

It may be true that when people do good things for others that they feel good about it. But that does not mean that they do good things for other because they expect to feel good about it. If they did good things in order to feel good about it, then they might be justly excused of acting selfishly But I think it is important to distinguish carefully between doing good things for others and feeling good as a consequence, and doing good things for others, and doing them so as to feel good as the result of doing good for others. But, anyway, why is it selfish to do good for others even in order to feel good about it? How can a person act selfishly when what he does does not affect others adversely, nor done at the expense of others? And, after all, isn't that what the word "selfish" means?

You seem to think that it is part of the definition of the word "selfish" that unless it brings happiness to the agent, the action is not selfish. But I wonder why you think that? Don't you think that there can be stupidly selfish actions which are done at the expense of others, which are miscalculated, and boomerang on the agent? Suppose, to take a trivial example, I try to get in front of a person who is standing on a line. Isn't that a selfish action. And if I am caught doing it, and I am, as a punishment, not permitted to stand on that line, does that make the action of trying to get in front of the person any the less selfish?

boagie

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:22 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy,
You seem to not want to let go of this problem in semantics,it has been beaten to death,if you still don't get it, let it go! I still get the feeling you have not read what the thread was based upon.I must admit I get the same feeling about your previous responses to my posts,you do have to read a fellow associate's posts in order to understand. If you do not read and do not understand,do not respond.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:48 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kennethamy,
You seem to not want to let go of this problem in semantics,it has been beaten to death,if you still don't get it, let it go! I still get the feeling you have not read what the thread was based upon.I must admit I get the same feeling about your previous responses to my posts,you do have to read a fellow associate's posts in order to understand. If you do not read and do not understand,do not respond.

Well, you use the word "selfish" in a way it is not used in English. So I have to point that out. You are not empowered to use words as you please. Words have meanings. Your defenses of psychological egoism are poor because they confuse several different things. You confuse doing something and deriving satisfaction from it with doing something so as to derive satisfaction from it. And only the latter makes an action self-interested. And then, you confuse selfishness with self-interest. In English, someone is selfish only if he does something at the expense of others. Something he is not entitled to do. You do not seem to realize this. And even if you don't understand this, others, who may be reading this thread, should be reminded of that.

Apparently, you do not tolerated criticism very well. But, in that case, I suggest that you initiate a site of your own where you can simply spout you view without fear of criticism. Since Socrates philosophers have been talking about the meanings of words. Why do you think they should stop now?

boagie

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 04:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy,

Let it go!! Everyone understands the semantic problem.Do you wish to make this semantic problem the topic from here on out.If so,start another thread and list it as your topic.It has been beaten sorely to death,take the time and a shovel,and bury it.If you must kick it some more,open another thread.:eek:

kennethamy

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 06:26 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
kennethamy,

Let it go!! Everyone understands the semantic problem.Do you wish to make this semantic problem the topic from here on out.If so,start another thread and list it as your topic.It has been beaten sorely to death,take the time and a shovel,and bury it.If you must kick it some more,open another thread.:eek:

The problem is whether all action is selfish. And that is about whether the term "selfish" ought to be applied to all actions. The answer is clearly, no. One reason is that although people may gain satisfaction from their actions, some people do not do that action in order to gain satisfaction. And for the action to be selfish, the person has to do that action in order to gain satisfaction. And, a second reason is that a selfish action must be done at the expense of other people affecting them adversely. But many actions, even if they gain satisfaction for the agent, and even if they are done in order to gain satisfaction for the agent, do not affect any other person adversely, nor are they done at the expense of any other person. Therefore, those actions are not selfish actions.

I do believe you confused "semantics" with logic. Is it that you do not like logic? Then you ought to get out of philosophy and do something else. Maybe you would be happier being a juggler. I would let it go. But I think you may persuade people, and since you are clearly mistaken, you should not be able to do so. Now, calling arguments "semantics" may persuade those who are not very sharp, but will not, I hope persuade those who are clear-headed. Sematics, you know, is only about the meaning of words. And since you insist on using words, I have no choice but to talk about their meanings. I am sure you will understand-eventually.

By the way, I note that you receive very few (if any) replies except for mine. Would you prefer to talk to yourself?

boagie

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 06:51 pm
@kennethamy,
You truely are a thread killer--------stay away from me --clear enough?:mad:

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:49:38