The Selfish Nature Of All Actions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 07:16 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Didymos Thomas,Smile

Please by all means put it in your own terms, as long as it expresses the fact that the first interest served is that of the will of the subject which preforms the action,

Could you tell me what that means except that all subjects do what they want to do? And, if that is what it means, it is obviously false. I often don't do what I want to do, either because it would be wrong for me to do it, or because, for some reason I cannot. So, what do you understand by "the first interest served is the will of the subject etc.? Or what does Boagie mean by it. And, perhaps, after you tell me what it means, you can tell be why it means that all actions are selfish.

Thank you in advance for the clarification.

P.S. Could you give me an example or two. That would be helpful.

Elmud

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 11:17 am
@Elmud,
Elmud wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I think it is an instinctual thing. But that is a story in itself. thanks for the reply though.

Words. Can't live with them, can't live without them.:perplexed:Smile

ACB

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 02:21 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Please by all means put it in your own terms, as long as it expresses the fact that the first interest served is that of the will of the subject which preforms the action, and that this is all encompassing of all actions.

But does this statement have any real content? Isn't it just a tautology? 'If I decide to do something, then it is I who decide to do it.' Or: 'All my voluntary actions are actions that I myself want to do.' This is just saying that x = x.

boagie

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 02:54 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
But does this statement have any real content? Isn't it just a tautology? 'If I decide to do something, then it is I who decide to do it.' Or: 'All my voluntary actions are actions that I myself want to do.' This is just saying that x = x.

ACB,Smile

Excellent, so, the question then arises, if of necessity, every action that I preform is the fulfilment of my will, can it be said that there is any such thing as pure altruism. Actually as hard as it might be to believe looking at the length of this thread, the moral question was never the issue. Every action is self motivated, the fulfilment of ones will, it then could be judged selfless or selfish after the fact, but the issue is,"All my voluntary actions are actions that I myself want to do." very nicely capped.

ACB

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:11 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Excellent, so, the question then arises, if of necessity, every action that I preform is the fulfilment of my will, can it be said that there is any such thing as pure altruism. Actually as hard as it might be to believe looking at the length of this thread, the moral question was never the issue. Every action is self motivated, the fulfilment of ones will, it then could be judged selfless or selfish after the fact, but the issue is,"All my voluntary actions are actions that I myself want to do." very nicely capped.

I understand your point, but how then would you define 'altruism'? Surely the word should refer to something, even if that thing does not actually exist. (Compare 'unicorn', which refers to a horse-like creature with one horn.) But according to your argument, 'altruism' does not refer to anything at all, since it implies a logical impossibility. Thus it has no meaning; and consequently any sentence in which it appears (e.g. 'No action involves altruism') has no meaning either.

Clearly, if altruism cannot (by definition) exist, then it does not exist. And if all actions must (by definition) be selfish, then they are all selfish. But such self-proving definitions seem pointless. Surely the length of this thread is due to the fact that 'altruism' and 'selfishness' are normally defined in a less all-embracing way. And standard definitions are a matter of social consensus - they cannot be 'wrong'.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 06:52 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
ACB,Smile

"All my voluntary actions are actions that I myself want to do." very nicely capped.

It should be. It is an empty tautology, true by definition. What else could a voluntary action be? How would that empty tautology show that all actions are selfish?

All carnivorous animals eat meat is an empty tautology. True by definition. It gives no more information than does your empty tautology that all actions are actions I want to do.

boagie

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:04 pm
@ACB,
ACB wrote:
I understand your point, but how then would you define 'altruism'? Surely the word should refer to something, even if that thing does not actually exist. (Compare 'unicorn', which refers to a horse-like creature with one horn.) But according to your argument, 'altruism' does not refer to anything at all, since it implies a logical impossibility. Thus it has no meaning; and consequently any sentence in which it appears (e.g. 'No action involves altruism') has no meaning either.

Clearly, if altruism cannot (by definition) exist, then it does not exist. And if all actions must (by definition) be selfish, then they are all selfish. But such self-proving definitions seem pointless. Surely the length of this thread is due to the fact that 'altruism' and 'selfishness' are normally defined in a less all-embracing way. And standard definitions are a matter of social consensus - they cannot be 'wrong'.

ACB,Smile

I suppose you are right, but I was not the one to introduce moral judgement in the mix, the function which allows for the formation of intent, the will to do/act is itself without moral judement, moral judgement can only come after the event/action, as value judgement. The point always was that any action is self-fulfilling, the will is fulfilled through action, all actions have this characteristic, and are personal. However I raise the white flag, all action are self-fulfilling first, and they can be both selfish and selfless, as a value judgement after the fact.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:08 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
ACB,Smile

I suppose you are right, but I was not the one to introduce moral judgement in the mix, the function which allows for the formation of intent, the will to do/act is itself without moral judement, moral judgement can only come after the event/action, as value judgement. The point always was that any action is self-fulfilling, the will is fulfilled through action, all actions have this characteristic, and are personal. However I raise the white flag, all action are self-fulfilling first, and they can be both selfish and selfless, as a value judgement after the fact.

I tried to clarify boagie earlier, on page 55:

Zetherin wrote:
Firstly, I don't think "selfish" was the best word to use in distinguishing the actions that are being discussed here. Selfish implies concern of oneself, a conscious disregard of others. This is not what was intended. I believe Selfish should have been clarified from the beginning, and the thread appropriately named "The Self-Intent Of All Actions", or something less abrasive.

I'm not sure if you've read a lot of what boagie has written, but I believe he's tried to clarify: Self-Intent ≠ Selfishness. Even if we deduce that every single action involves Self-Intent on some cognitive level, it doesn't mean that every action is Selfish. The reason being that Selfish and Selfless are part of a dichotomy. If, ultimately, every action is Selfish, then it really isn't Selfish after all. Why? Because the dichotomy then doesn't exist anymore. The actions would just be, without moral judgment.

Is this a tautology? Well, I'm not quite so sure. Neither am I sure that every action is led by self-intent. What if one is forced/compelled to do something, where one really has no other choice? Or, if a choice is not even presented? There's no self-intent in having the back of your knees taken out and gravity slamming your face into the pavement by someone else. Those things forced upon us could still be considered actions, in addition to those things where a choice just isn't presented. A choice may be purely instinctual, without any reason, and I don't see this having anything to do with intent. If we are to say every conscious rationalization is self-inclined, then sure, I'd buy that. But certainly not every action -- there's no room for intent, conscious or otherwise, in some actions.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:16 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Is this a tautology? Well, I'm not quite so sure. Neither am I sure that every action is led by self-intent. What if one is forced/compelled to do something, where one really has no other choice? Or, if a choice is not even presented? There's no self-intent in having the back of your knees taken out and gravity slamming your face into the pavement by someone else. Those things forced upon us could still be considered actions, in addition to those things where a choice just isn't presented. A choice may be purely instinctual, without any reason, and I don't see this having anything to do with intent. If we are to say every conscious rationalization is self-inclined, then sure, I'd buy that. But certainly not every action.

Actually, the attack against you would be the action. What happens to you afterward, is the consequence of the action.

An action with no self-intent would be tripping on the sidewalk while walking. Unless someone purposely trips, the agent had no intention to do so.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:23 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
Actually, the attack against you would be the action. What happens to you afterward, is the consequence of the action.

An action with no self-intent would be tripping on the sidewalk while walking. Unless someone purposely trips, the agent had no intention to do so.

Well, it made sense in my mind: I thought of getting my knees buckled and falling in a certain direction -- with no time to choose a direction -- but falling in a certain direction based on instinct (or, something that didn't involve conscious rationalization). But, yes, this wasn't a good example, I admit. I think your sidewalk one is a bit better, but we could still say the action was to walk and you tripping was the consequence of that action.

So, if the agent had no conscious intention, I don't see how every action can be of one with self-intent. Can you?

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:34 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
I think your sidewalk one is a bit better, but we could still say the action was to walk and you tripping was the consequence of that action.

So, if the agent had no conscious intention, I don't see how every action can be of one with self-intent. Can you?

The intended action would be walking. Tripping would be an action the individual did not intend to do. Thus, tripping would be a consequence of walking, you are correct on that, but the consequence is another action. I guess your example is fits as well. After an individual is attacked, the consequence is an unintended action--most likely buckling in pain or falling to the ground.

If any action at all can be done without self-intent (tripping on the sidewalk or a branch in the woods) then all actions cannot be said to be done with self-intent. Thus, every action cannot be done with self-intent.

Boagie would have to do a lot of arguing to convince me that all actions are done with self-intent.

boagie

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:35 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

"Is this a tautology? Well, I'm not quite so sure. Neither am I sure that every action is led by self-intent. What if one is forced/compelled to do something, where one really has no other choice? Or, if a choice is not even presented? There's no self-intent in having the back of your knees taken out and gravity slamming your face into the pavement by someone else. Those things forced upon us could still be considered actions, in addition to those things where a choice just isn't presented. A choice may be purely instinctual, without any reason, and I don't see this having anything to do with intent. If we are to say every conscious rationalization is self-inclined, then sure, I'd buy that. But certainly not every action.

Zetherin;Smile

That it was an unfortunate choice of words is an understatement, but, one would think in a philosophy site that that unfortunate confusion dealing with semantics could be clarified, but apparently not. That it may be a tautology is probably true, though one apparently not obvious to most as true. As far as being threatend with say a gun or some other form of intimidation, that is just factored into the mix, your will then becomes to do as your told in order not to get hurt, still your will in action, and a moral judgement can certainly be applied after the fact. As to being struck to the ground that is not a volentary action, so, not applicable. Even with instinctual action, where there is a desire to preform said action, the reasoning may be faulty or it may not be faulty or non-existent, but where there is desire to act, there is a will in action, or perhaps there are instinctual involentary actions, not real sure on the count, but if so, it would be involentary thus not applicable.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:48 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Zetherin;Smile

That it was an unfortunate choice of words is an understatement, but, one would think in a philosophy site that that unfortunate confusion dealing with semantics could be clarified, but apparently not. That it may be a tautology is probably true, though one apparently not obvious to most as true. As far as being threatend with say a gun or some other form of intimidation, that is just factored into the mix, your will then becomes to do as your told in order not to get hurt, still your will in action, and a moral judgement can certainly be applied after the fact. As to being struck to the ground that is not a volentary action, so, not applicable. Even with instinctual action, there is a desire to preform said action, the reasoning may be faulty or it may not be faulty or non-existent, but where there is desire to act, there is a will in action, or perhaps there are instinctual involentary action, not real sure on the count, but if so, it would be involentary thus not applicable.

You would have to account for cases such as tripping on the sidewalk while walking. While walking demonstrates self-intent, tripping while doing so does not, unless the individual wanted to trip. Many actions that are consequences of other actions are not selfish or done with self-intent as motivation.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:49 pm
@boagie,
Quote:
Even with instinctual action, there is a desire to preform said action, the reasoning may be faulty or it may not be faulty or non-existent, but where there is desire to act, there is a will in action, or perhaps there are instinctual involentary action, not real sure on the count, but if so, it would be involentary thus not applicable.
I don't believe every voluntary action breathes desire. Again, with the example I noted, the buckling of the kneecaps may be involuntary, however, for that moment whilst falling, a choice is made -- in which direction to fall (at least in the example I'm giving; I can understand if maybe someone was slammed or something). I don't think this choice has anything to do with desire, as it was not reasoned, nor was there any emotional attachment. How can we say we desired falling in that certain direction when we didn't even have enough time to rationalize?

Using the definition of desire:

To wish or long for; want.

boagie

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:52 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus wrote:
You would have to account for cases such as tripping on the sidewalk while walking. While walking demonstrates self-intent, tripping while doing so does not, unless the individual wanted to trip. Many actions that are consequences of other actions are not selfish or done with self-intent as motivation.

Theaetetus,

An error is not a volentary action. The intent is to walk not tripp.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:53 pm
@boagie,
But all actions imply all actions, not just voluntary actions.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:54 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Theaetetus,

An error is not a volentary action. The intent is to walk not tripp.

But where you place your other foot as to not fall down can be argued to be voluntary. And, I don't feel this action, while voluntary, has anything to do with desire.

boagie

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:58 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
I don't believe every voluntary action breathes desire. Again, with the example I noted, the buckling of the kneecaps may be involuntary, however, for that moment whilst falling, a choice is made -- in which direction to fall (at least in the example I'm giving; I can understand if maybe someone was slammed or something). I don't think this choice has anything to do with desire, as it was not reasoned, nor was there any emotional attachment. How can we say we desired falling in that certain direction when we didn't even have enough time to rationalize?

Using the definition of desire:

Zetherin;Smile

How can one have a volentary action without intent, intent infers a desire to do. After you have lost your balance, if you can decide in which direction you are going to fall, that would infer an intent, and again, intent infers a desire to do. If you cannot decide for yourself the direction of your fall, then it is not intentional.

Theaetetus wrote:
But all actions imply all actions, not just voluntary actions.

Theaetetus:)

All intentional actions, a covulsion is not a volentary action. Consciousness deals with volentary actions, not involentary actions.

Zetherin wrote:
But where you place your other foot as to not fall down can be argued to be voluntary. And, I don't feel this action, while voluntary, has anything to do with desire.

Zetherin,Smile

Do you doubt that it is your desire to walk, if you error in some way as to the firmness of the ground upon which you place your foot, the error is not intentional. If you place your foot in a position to keep yourself from falling, and you fall, it is obviously an error, the error is not intentional.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:05 pm
@boagie,
But a convulsion is a totally different thing than tripping, slipping on ice, or falling down the stairs. A convulsion is a subconscious action like breathing. The other are involuntary, but still happen at the conscious level.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:07 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Zetherin;Smile

How can one have a volentary action without intent, intent infers a desire to do. After you have lost your balance, if you can decide in which direction you are going to fall, that would infer an intent, and again, intent infers a desire to do. If you cannot decide for yourself the direction of your fall, then it is not intentional.

Voluntary:
done or undertaken by free choice

Desire:

Every action intended (voluntary) isn't necessarily desired. Desired implies the action was considered, and emotional connection made -- wanting. Every step walking down the street is voluntary, but each step doesn't involve the subject consciously *wanting* the next step to take place. It's something not even thought or considered about, usually.

Not all actions are voluntary, and in these cases there would be no intent at all. Therefore, we cannot say all actions are of self-intent. And, from what I've noted above, we cannot say that even all voluntary actions breathe desire, as desire is a product of consideration, and consideration is not present during every voluntary action.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:20:53