The Selfish Nature Of All Actions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:50 pm
@kennethamy,
"All other actions fulfill the conscious intent/modivation of a subject."

And how do you determine, for example, my motivation or intent?

NeitherExtreme

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 12:45 pm
@boagie,
Just wondering boagie, if you would say that there are better/nicer selfish actions? Or all they all equal?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 05:31 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
Just wondering boagie, if you would say that there are better/nicer selfish actions? Or all they all equal?

Well I think that my selfish action the other day of stopping and helping another motorist to get his car going, even when it made me late for a very important appointment was a very nice selfish action on my part. But I am still ashamed that I was so selfish.

But I know I was very selfish because I wanted to help this stranger. And the more I wanted to help him, the more selfish I was to help him.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:10 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
But I know I was very selfish because I wanted to help this stranger. And the more I wanted to help him, the more selfish I was to help him.

What is necessarily selfish about wanting to help a stranger?

kennethamy

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:38 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
What is necessarily selfish about wanting to help a stranger?

But how could it not be selfish, since I wanted to help him. Isn't that the argument which is given to show that all action is selfish? Namely that the fact the action is voluntary makes the action selfish. So that even if I decide to go to bed because I am sleepy, since that was a voluntary action on my part, that was a selfish action. The argument is, of course, absurd.

Harby phil

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:08 pm
@boagie,
The logic used here is the following:
Any observable voluntary action somehow benefits the agent. Therefore all actions are self-beneficial, therefore for an action to be done it must atleast benefit the agent, if not others as well.

Again I reiterate that you are taking the word "selfish" to the extremes.
This theory simply states that any living organism cannot create intention without any benefit to itself, as no willing action (unless you can provide a definite example) does not benefit the agent somehow.

EDIT: As for what is "selfish", or better put self-beneficial, in the above mentioned example: you acted upon your moral code, therefore you helped your self-esteem. Its even apparent that it did, cause if it did not you would not have come here and used it as an example, explicitly stating that it did occur in real life instead of providing another example (i.e. someone else doing something else).

kennethamy

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:56 pm
@Harby phil,
Harby wrote:
Any observable voluntary action somehow benefits the agent. Therefore all actions are self-beneficial, therefore for an action to be done it must atleast benefit the agent, if not others as well.

Again I reiterate that you are taking the word "selfish" to the extremes.
This theory simply states that any living organism cannot create intention without any benefit to itself, as no willing action (unless you can provide a definite example) does not benefit the agent somehow.

EDIT: As for what is "selfish", or better put self-beneficial, in the above mentioned example: you acted upon your moral code, therefore you helped your self-esteem. Its even apparent that it did, cause if it did not you would not have come here and used it as an example, explicitly stating that it did occur in real life instead of providing another example (i.e. someone else doing something else).

Any observable voluntary action somehow benefits the agent.

But that is false. The soldier who sacrifices himself and dies to save his men is not benefiting himself. And he does it voluntarily. If I stop on the road to help a motorist in distress, at cost to myself, I am not benefiting myself. On the contrary, in both cases, I am harming myself.

Then again, you seem to be confusing two different things. It may be that when I do an action, I will derive benefit from doing that action, and also know that I will derive benefit from doing that action. But that need not mean that I am doing that action with the motive of gaining benefit from doing that action. That is to say that even if it turns out that I get some satisfaction from doing that action, it need not follow that I did that action in order to gain that benefit.

So, 1. the idea that any sane person would give up his life in order to contemplate any satisfaction (which, since he is dead, he is unlikely to get) is ludicrous. On a cost-benefit scale of evaluation (which seems the one being used) the idea is preposterous. And, 2, the motive seems to be mixed up. What is being confused is the difference between getting some satisfaction from doing an unselfish action, and doing that action in order to get that satisfaction. My motive may just be to help a person who needs help, and not to gain any satisfaction from doing so.

NeitherExtreme

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 04:22 pm
@Harby phil,
Harby wrote:

Ok, I think I understand where you're coming from. But even from that standpoint I think that while some decisions are %100 self-beneficial, some are more beneficial to others than to myself. Again I'll use the common example of someone dying to save someone else. Yes, there was a piece of that decision that was self-beneficial (doing what I thought was right, thereby saving conscience), but I think there was a much bigger piece that was others-beneficial. So I think that, in a way, all decisions could be weighed on a scale (not scientifically of course), with self-benefit on one side, and others-benefit on the other. And you would say (and I think I'd tend to agree) that there would always be at least something on the self-benefit side of the scale, but do you agree that the others-benefit side could at times "out-weigh" the the self-benefit side? And I'm talking about motivation behind making the decision, not necessarily outcomes... I guess the short version is this: I think that some decisions are made for the benefit of others more so than for the benefit of self.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 11:34 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Dexter,

Some very interesting points you make here,if self-interest was not thought of as a negative,would there be as much guilt in the world.The Flip side though is perhaps the psychopath,who has no problem with self-interest,and sees compassion for others as simple weakness,his lack of human emotions tells him of his superiority.

I believe you are right,the model of humanity is just fine the way it is.Perhaps in the interest of a greater humanity and social cohesion in the future,people will choose to tweak what is there.This looks like it is going to become entirely possiable in the not to distant future with the advancement of neurology.There will be a new dawn for humanity when we have the keys to a greater compassion and who knows what else!Which reminds me, pychopaths represent around 2% of the population-----of course not all psychopaths are violent---psychopaths can be detected in our midst but I don't think they can be legally tracked,at anyrate neurology just may provide the means of cureing the psychopath.

You brought up another point which stirs the interest,instinct,is there any reason to believe that on some level instinctive behaviour is not in a creatures best interest,surely its origins are just that,behaviours which best serve ones survival would perhaps be the purest form of self-interest,ingrained tried and true.

The dog you said did not desire,well here we are going to argue over the thoughts of a dog.He is a pack animal and his best interest is in serveing the pack.A human family fills the ticket when the animal does not have his own kind as a pack.This principle of self-interest is quite likely true across the board,for all living forms.Though denied for eons compassion seems to be a common property in animals as well.Glad they decided not to use us for lab experiments to make better cosmetics.

Self-interest is one thing, and selfishness is a quite different thing. No one blames me for deciding to go to bed early because I am tired, as long as I have not harmed anyone, nor neglected any duties, although by going to bed early, I am undeniably doing something that is self-interested. But, if on the other hand, I decide to go to bed early when my children still need to be fed, and, themselves, put to bed, and need care, then my action would be rightly called "selfish" and not merely self-interested. And I should be blamed for being a neglectful parent. As Adam Smith and others pointed out, it is self-interest that makes the world go round, and is a generally good thing. The baker and the butcher provide us with food, not out of altruism, but out of self-interest. But selfishness is quite another thing, and is, in general a negative force in the world. That is why self-interest is not blamed, except, of course, when it is confused with selfishness, whichmunfortunately, some people do.

Harby phil

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 12:50 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
I guess the short version is this: I think that some decisions are made for the benefit of others more so than for the benefit of self.

Well possibly, but as you yourself stated we have no way of measuring it. Something might be done at a greater cost than benefit (and provide more benefit to someone other than ourselves), I'm not at all rejecting this possibility, I am merely stating that in order for something to be voluntarily done at all there must be atleast a bit of self-interest involved.

justinupitt

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 01:07 pm
@Harby phil,
Hmm. It would seem that this idea rises out of a misunderstanding about the definition of selfish. I agree that all action is done vis-a-vis a person having a motivation to do that action (as that is kind of the definition of action).

I think to say action is selfish is to ask what exactly selfish means, and this is were the discussion comes in I think. For me, to say that action itself is selfish is pointless, as it defeats the purpose of the word selfish. I tend to view selfish in contrast to selfless, and I tend to see those two words interacting between the action of one person to another. That is to say, someone may act selfishly to someone else, but their action itself is not selfish. These cases are generally more obviously selfish, as the action will cause the other party to lose out in order to compensate a personal gain.

It is a difficult concept none-the-less Smile

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:26 pm
@justinupitt,
justinupitt wrote:
Hmm. It would seem that this idea rises out of a misunderstanding about the definition of selfish. I agree that all action is done vis-a-vis a person having a motivation to do that action (as that is kind of the definition of action).

I think to say action is selfish is to ask what exactly selfish means, and this is were the discussion comes in I think. For me, to say that action itself is selfish is pointless, as it defeats the purpose of the word selfish. I tend to view selfish in contrast to selfless, and I tend to see those two words interacting between the action of one person to another. That is to say, someone may act selfishly to someone else, but their action itself is not selfish. These cases are generally more obviously selfish, as the action will cause the other party to lose out in order to compensate a personal gain.

It is a difficult concept none-the-less Smile

Can't an action be neither selfish nor selfless? Suppose I go to bed because I feel tired, and I expect to have a long day tomorrow. Is that a selfish action? Why. Did I deprive someone of something to which he was entitled? Did my action even affect another? How then could it be selfish? Was it, on the other hand, a selfless action? Not that I can see. I did not do it in order to deprive myself of anything (on the contrary) nor to assist anyone.

Most of our actions are neither selfish, nor selfless. They are just (voluntary) actions.

NeitherExtreme

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 04:33 pm
@Harby phil,
Harby wrote:
Well possibly, but as you yourself stated we have no way of measuring it. Something might be done at a greater cost than benefit (and provide more benefit to someone other than ourselves), I'm not at all rejecting this possibility, I am merely stating that in order for something to be voluntarily done at all there must be atleast a bit of self-interest involved.

I can accept that. Smile And from that point I think it's personal opinion as to how much you think a person is capable of (or willing to) consider other's benifit more than their own.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:09 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
I can accept that. Smile And from that point I think it's personal opinion as to how much you think a person is capable of (or willing to) consider other's benifit more than their own.

I am merely stating that in order for something to be voluntarily done at all there must be atleast a bit of self-interest involved.

If "voluntary" means, "self-interested" I suppose that is true. But that is a far cry from saying that if it is voluntary, then it is selfish. "Self-interested" and, "selfish" are two different things. Being self-interested is neutral. Being selfish is not neutral. It is wrong.

NeitherExtreme

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 08:17 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

If "voluntary" means, "self-interested" I suppose that is true. But that is a far cry from saying that if it is voluntary, then it is selfish. "Self-interested" and, "selfish" are two different things. Being self-interested is neutral. Being selfish is not neutral. It is wrong.

I must say that it seems a lot of this discussion could be done just by defining terms... Smile I'm agreeing with the "every action is self-centered" idea just enough to say this: That anyone who chooses to act selflessly (save the other guy at his own expense) makes that choice because he "wants" to do what he considers to be right, as opposed to what he would consider to be wrong. Of course in this scenario the end result is to the other guys favor and not to mine, so it is an overall un-selfish action (and motivation) IMO.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 10:24 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
But even voluntary actions are not necessarily selfish, or self-interested, or self centered (other than, perhaps, in that the individual considered the decision). Simply because an action does benefit the agent, that benefit is not necessarily the motivation for acting. The agent may even be unaware of the potential benefit of an action.

Harby phil

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 07:55 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
But even voluntary actions are not necessarily selfish, or self-interested, or self centered (other than, perhaps, in that the individual considered the decision). Simply because an action does benefit the agent, that benefit is not necessarily the motivation for acting. The agent may even be unaware of the potential benefit of an action.

We were unaware of Gravity for a large portion of our history, did it not motivate everything to fall when dropped both when we knew of it and not?

Oh and by the way, you really should've read "What is Man?". I've found an alternate link and although it proved to be a lenghtier read than I previously thought, its equally interesting. It covers basically every single counter-argument you can concieve against this premise, theory or whatever you'd call it.

Anyway, here's the link: http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/mtwain/bl-mtwain-whatisman.htm

NeitherExtreme

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:27 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Simply because an action does benefit the agent, that benefit is not necessarily the motivation for acting.

That's a good point I think, and IMO the major flaw in the "every action is selfish" argument. The argument then simply hangs on the belief (without any argument other than personal experience or opinion) that all people are always selfish.

I hadn't seen that so concisely before, thanks Didymos Thomas. Smile

justinupitt

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:45 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
The argument then simply hangs on the belief (without any argument other than personal experience or opinion) that all people are always selfish.

I think this interpretation is a misguided one. I do not think that selfishness as people would act selfishly (stealing the last gobstopper) applies any of its meaning to the inherent selfishness of action.

To better illustrate my point, I think of how action itself (not motivation) can be selfless (so as to not be inherently selfish).

For something to be selfless, one would think it would need to be done without knowledge of any positive reprecussions that could come from it, and with probable knowledge that in fact, negative reprecussions will come from it. If I pick up the phone and call my girlfriend, that is an action. I do not see it possible that the action is selfless. This does not mean my motivation for action was selfish, or selfless, in fact I think in this case it is neither. But the action itself accomplishes one main thing, it translates my wish to call my girlfriend (for no reason other than to talk to her) into a self fulfilling action.

This may be a better way to understand "selfish action" as it applies to all action, not that action is selfish, but that it is inherently self fulfilling, because if it weren't then the action would not have occured(unless I was forced or compulsed to, but that is a matter of free will)

kennethamy

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 07:47 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
I must say that it seems a lot of this discussion could be done just by defining terms... Smile I'm agreeing with the "every action is self-centered" idea just enough to say this: That anyone who chooses to act selflessly (save the other guy at his own expense) makes that choice because he "wants" to do what he considers to be right, as opposed to what he would consider to be wrong.

But what I don't understand is why the fact that a person wants to do what he does makes that action "self-centered" or "selfish". How did that happen? Only, I suppose, because that's how you decide to define it. But then, that's your definition. That's not how the words are normally used.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.54 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 11:30:50