The Fatal Paradox

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Extrain

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:25 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;160540 wrote:
I'm just telling you what hard determinism says

given the world we live in
If I chop your head off you will necessarily die.

This is just a sloppy way of talking that confuses matters rather quickly. Take what the more lucid and venerable SEP says with respect to free will and hard determinism:
Arguments for Incompatibilism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Compatibilism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Fatalism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Quote:
Determinism is a claim about the laws of nature: very roughly, it is the claim that everything that happens is determined by antecedent conditions together with the natural laws. Determinism is a thesis about the laws, but it should not be confused with [what]...has been called..."the necessitarian view". It's easy to get confused because determinism is often formulated in a loose and misleading way, e.g. as the thesis that facts about the past metaphysically determine or necessitate or "fix" all future facts.

So you are wrong, the future "being fixed or necessitated by the past" is not determinism.

Amperage;160540 wrote:
you seem to be more concerned with debating the modal fallacy.

...because what you are saying just IS a modal fallacy.

Amperage;160540 wrote:
I'm talking about the definitions.

So am I.

Amperage;160540 wrote:
Here are 2 definitions:

Definitions (1): Given the world, If P then necessarily Q.

This is not determinism as can be seen from the SEP. This is fatalism.

Amperage;160540 wrote:
Definition (2): Q will happen

This is determinism, not fatalism.

Amperage;160540 wrote:
It is my understanding that Definition (1) -->hard determinism
and Definition (2)-->fatalism

what say you?

You have them backwards. That's what I say.

Amperage

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:29 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;160547 wrote:
So am I.

This is not determinism as can be seen from the SEP. This is fatalism.

This is determinism, not fatalism.

You have them backwards. That's what I say.
Though I completely disagree, If that is actually the case and not just your opinion, and I have them backwards, then why are we even debating this issue? I espouse free will so, given your claim on the definition of fatalism, I see no reason to think fatalism is real or even could be.

I suppose I will then espouse that the future is "determined" instead.

Emil

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:38 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;160523 wrote:
Not if hard-determinism is true. That IS hard determinism!

Kenneth please weigh in on this since you always seem to know the official meaning of the terms

---------- Post added 05-05-2010 at 01:48 PM ----------

hard determinism says things could NOT be otherwise. No free will no nothing. Just causal inevitability

I see that you have not studied logic since last time you discussed this. You ought to. This is a complete waste of time for you and them too. My offer to send a logic textbook still stands. The textbook is Paul Tomassi - Logic. Just send me a pm with your email.

Amperage

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:42 pm
@Emil,
Emil;160555 wrote:
I see that you have not studied logic since last time you discussed this. You ought to. This is a complete waste of time for you and them too. My offer to send a logic textbook still stands. The textbook is Paul Tomassi - Logic. Just send me a pm with your email.
no I have not. I've been busy with my own classes. I have never had a problem with the logic.....but the definitions themselves.

nevertheless my email is [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]

I do think the modal fallacy is a fallacy itself though and presupposes a position it cannot verify

Extrain

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:43 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;160551 wrote:
Though I completely disagree, If that is actually the case and not just your opinion, and I have them backwards, then why are we even debating this issue? I espouse free will so, given your claim on the definition of fatalism, I so no reason to think fatalism is real.

You're still confused. "X will happen" is just the future tense of "X happened." There is no necessity about saying "X will happen" as if you mean to say "X will necessarily happen," or "because it is a fact that X will happen, X must happen necessarily." This is groundless fatalism, and the view that your words continue to espouse. If you don't believe this, then stop espousing "X will happen" as if it were an expression of fatalism, because it is not. Though compatible with it, "X will happen" is not a particularly "fatalist" claim.

Amperage;160551 wrote:
I suppose I will then espouse that the future is "determined" instead.

If you mean the future is "necessitated" be antecedent states of affairs, then this is not determinism. If you mean antecedent states of affairs are sufficient for their effects, then this is determinism.

Amperage

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:44 pm
@Extrain,
I mean, Q will happen. No if statement. Just the statement by itself. Nothing deeper than that. It can be by necessity, by free will choice, or by randomness, or any other reason.

whatever term you think that falls under, put it there

Extrain

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:47 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;160560 wrote:
I mean, Q will happen. Be it by necessity, be it by free will choice, be it by randomness

whatever term you think that falls under, put it there

I have no problem with that. Saying "X will happen" and '"X will happen' is true" is compatible with a myriad of philosophical positions--fatalistic, deterministic, or probabilistic (non-deterministic).

Amperage

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:50 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;160561 wrote:
I have no problem with that. Saying "X will happen" and '"X will happen' is true" is compatible with a myriad of philosophical positions--fatalistic, deterministic, or probabilistic (non-deterministic).

that is my understanding of fate. Apparently I was wrong.

If God or a prophet says X will happen, then X will happen.

this doesn't negate free will nor does it negate determinism nor randomness nor anything else

kennethamy

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:52 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;160540 wrote:
I'm just telling you what hard determinism says

given the world we live in
If I chop your head off you will necessarily die.

---------- Post added 05-05-2010 at 02:09 PM ----------

False, even given the world we live it: Since it is still not logically impossible a person will die if decapitated. That is to say, the propositions that X is decapitated and lives, does not imply a contradiction, although, if X is decapitated, then if is physically impossible that X does not die. Which is to say that X is decapitated, but X does not die is incompatible with the law of nature the event is subsumable under. Now, to infer from the fact that X is decapitated, but does not die is inconsistent with a law of nature, to the proposition that it is logically impossible that X does not die if decapitated, is to commit the modal fallacy. And violate the eleventh commandment. So the issues are logically connected. What is physically impossible can be logically possible (although not conversely). And if it is logically possible for a decapitated person to live (which it is) then a person whose head is chopped off will not necessarily die. I think you are confusing logical necessity with physical necessity. That's the twelfth commandment. Thou shalt not confuse logical with physical necessity.

Remember the saying: Thou canst no more philosophize without logic, than thou canst row thy boat without oars. And the admonition: Prophecy without logic, maybe; but philosophy without logic, never!

Amperage

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 01:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;160563 wrote:
False, even given the world we live it: Since it is still not logically impossible a person will die if decapitated. That is to say, the propositions that X is decapitated and lives, does not imply a contradiction, although, if X is decapitated, then if is physically impossible that X does not die. Which is to say that X is decapitated, but X does not die is incompatible with the law of nature the event is subsumable under. Now, to infer from the fact that X is decapitated, but does not die is inconsistent with a law of nature, to the proposition that it is logically impossible that X does not die if decapitated, is to commit the modal fallacy. And violate the eleventh commandment. So the issues are logically connected. What is physically impossible can be logically possible (although not conversely). And if it is logically possible for a decapitated person to live (which it is) then a person whose head is chopped off will not necessarily die. I think you are confusing logical necessity with physical necessity. That's the twelfth commandment. Thou shalt not confuse logical with physical necessity.

Remember the saying: Thou canst no more philosophize without logic, than thou canst row thy boat without oars. And the admonition: Prophecy without logic, maybe; but philosophy without logic, never!
remember the saying: use a little bit of discernment and realize that I am not talking about logically possibility but physical possibility, thus the statement, given the world we live in.

but thank you anyway. I will try and be more careful in the future about what I say.

Extrain

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:03 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;160562 wrote:
that is my understanding of fate. Apparently I was wrong.

Well....introducing "God's impeccable foreknowledge" of future contingent events DOES bring in the problem of fatalism. So that is problematic for philosophy of religion folks. But not for us.

But if we say "X will, in fact, happen" or "'X will happen' is true" that's no different than saying, "X happened" or "that X occured" is true. There is no suggestion of that claim being necessarily true.

Amperage;160562 wrote:
this doesn't negate free will nor does it negate determinism nor randomness nor anything else

I agree....

Kennethamy is doing a fine job of articulating the problems concerning this topic--better than me, anyway.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:13 pm
@Amperage,
Up until the time in which a headless body or a bodiless head is sustained artificially be possible physically, it is logically impossible for it to be true at that given moment be considered possible, thus regarding that logical possibility should account for valid reasons to what is possible at one point in time given the present conditions and not to the possible speculation about future conditions...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:16 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;160562 wrote:
y understanding of fate. Apparently I was wrong.

If the prophet is right, then it will happen (and it is assumed that God is right). But, that does not mean it will happen just because God or the prophet says it will happen. Saying that it will happen does not make it happen. The prophet (supposing he is an infallible prophet, and is always on the money) says X will happen because X will happen. But that does not mean that X will happen because the prophet says it will happen. Not unless the prophet has extra powers so that he can not merely prophecy infallibly, but he can make happen what he prophecies. I know of no prophets like that: have you? So what is true is that if X happens, then the infallible prophet will say it happens. But it is false that if the prophet says it will happen, then it will happen, unless (as I pointed out) the prophet can make X happen. After all, Pete, the infallible prophet, must know X will happen, otherwise he is not infallible. But Pete knows that X will happen because X will happen (and neither he, nor anyone, can know what is not true) but that does not mean that X will happen because Pete knows it will happen. Mere knowing that X will happen does not make X happen. X's happening will cause Pete to know X will happen (for unless X happens, Pete cannot know it will happen). But that is a far cry from the proposition that Pete's knowing X will happen can cause X to happen. How could mere knowing that X will happen cause X to happen?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:16 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Logic is an exercise of thought dependent on people who think and in their physical actual circumstances...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:18 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;160572 wrote:
Logic is an exercise of thought dependent on people who think and in their physical actual circumstances...

Ta-Da!

So? ..................

fast

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:19 pm
@kennethamy,
If I must do something, then I will do something, for I will do everything I must do, but just because I will do something, that's no good reason for thinking that I must do what I will do, for it's not the case that I must do everything I will do. So, "must" impies "will," but "will" doesn't imply "must."

God knows what I will do, and He is never mistaken, but that does not imply that I must do what I will do. It's not the case that I will do what I will do because God knows and cannot be mistaken. It's the case that I will do what I will do because I will make the choices to do what I will.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:22 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;160571 wrote:
If the prophet is right, then it will happen (and it is assumed that God is right). But, that does not mean it will happen just because God or the prophet says it will happen. Saying that it will happen does not make it happen. The prophet (supposing he is an infallible prophet, and is always on the money) says X will happen because X will happen. But that does not mean that X will happen because the prophet says it will happen. Not unless the prophet has extra powers so that he can not merely prophecy infallibly, but he can make happen what he prophecies. I know of no prophets like that: have you? So what is true is that if X happens, then the infallible prophet will say it happens. But it is false that if the prophet says it will happen, then it will happen, unless (as I pointed out) the prophet can make X happen. After all, Pete, the infallible prophet, must know X will happen, otherwise he is not infallible. But Pete knows that X will happen because X will happen (and neither he, nor anyone, can know what is not true) but that does not mean that X will happen because Pete knows it will happen. Mere knowing that X will happen does not make X happen. X's happening will cause Pete to know X will happen (for unless X happens, Pete cannot know it will happen). But that is a far cry from the proposition that Pete's knowing X will happen can cause X to happen. How could mere knowing that X will happen cause X to happen?

I do not need to know or to foresee what will happen to what will happen to happen...what will happen will happen for a reason, that reason is in the present and in the past...given that past and the present what will happen is fixed to what has happened before it...that much I know, once that is the precise and only meaning of cause.

---------- Post added 05-05-2010 at 03:28 PM ----------

kennethamy;160574 wrote:
Ta-Da!

So? ..................

So ??? well I repeat myself if I must :

Up until the time in which a headless body or a bodiless head is sustained artificially be possible physically, it is logically impossible for it to be true at that given moment be considered possible, thus regarding that logical possibility should account for valid reasons to what is possible at one point in time given the present conditions and not to the possible speculation about future conditions...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:41 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;160577 wrote:

Up until the time in which a headless body or a bodiless head is sustained artificially be possible physically, it is logically impossible for it to be true .

You just don't know what "logical impossible" means. P is logically impossible means, P implies a contradiction. But the proposition that a decapitated man can survive does not imply a contradiction. Therefore, it is logically possible for a decapitated man to survive. Case closed. Next. (You confuse logical possibility with physical possibility. Look those terms up). This is not a matter for debate. This is a matter of discovering what the terms mean.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:50 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;160580 wrote:
You just don't know what "logical impossible" means. P is logically impossible means, P implies a contradiction. But the proposition that a decapitated man can survive does not imply a contradiction. Therefore, it is logically possible for a decapitated man to survive. Case closed. Next. (You confuse logical possibility with physical possibility. Look those terms up). This is not a matter for debate. This is a matter of discovering what the terms mean.

But I do grasp and understand the classical conception on both and I still have good reason to disagree...

First the contradiction does not need to be explicit but implicit once is not excluded that some hidden variables are accounted in P as part of P which does not need to be true...

P has to be described completely to the full to extrapolate what is and what is not logically possible from P on...

Logic is produced in physical entities, so far that we know of, humans, so what is aimed by it cannot transcend it base scope, or origin...and that, to think otherwise, is what is not logical at all...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 02:55 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;160589 wrote:
But I do grasp and understand the classical conception on both and I still have good reason to disagree...

First the contradiction does not need to be explicit but implicit once is not excluded that some hidden variables are accounted in P as part of P which does not need to be true...

P has to be described completely to the full to extrapolate what is and what is not logically possible from P on...

Logic is produced in physical entities, so far that we know of, humans, so what is aimed by it cannot transcend it base scope, or origin...and that, to think otherwise, is what is not logical at all...

Nope. You do not understand. All those little curlicues are irrelevant. The only answer is that it is not logically impossible for a decapitated man to live. It is physically impossible for a decapitated man to live. All those little niggles just avoid the point. P does not imply a contradiction. That is all you need to know.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 09:58:34