The Fatal Paradox

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 03:08 pm
@fast,
fast;163981 wrote:
and making the assumption that such things said is true isn't all that bad of an idea, especially when there are no known countervailing reasons to think what is said is not true.

Assumptions aren't always as bad as some may make them out to be.

Depends on the assumptions, and who is making them. Making assumptions may be all right, but insisting on them, come hell or high water, really won't do. Assumptions are made to be examined.

Marat phil

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 03:33 pm
@kennethamy,
The destiny is way of sin.

Freedom is way just.

God knows all history of mankind. He knows the future of the people and the states. It is not necessary to be god to understand that the person is captive of circumstances. People are predicted because are weak and lazy. Therefore angels know the future. People can't change world history. Ha Ha!. They can't change own destiny. They are cowardly and lazy and weak. Therefore are predicted. God sees all. But it is free world. The future can be changed. The sin does us by slaves. The sin (laziness, passivity, cowardice) kills Freedom.

Emil

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:40 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble;163880 wrote:
Hi Emil,

I would never refer to anyone as a moron.

excuse my post, Apparently I'm a bit odd, anyway.

E=mcsquared (can't find little 2 on keyboard, so use (squared) in its' place)
That's written, and quite a few people believe it.

Anyway, sorry to cause a problem.

Thank you, and journey well.

Mark...

Your writing style is very odd.

Yes, many people believe that the energy of an object is equal (mathematically equal) to the mass of the object multiplied by the speed of light in vacuum squared. It is common to use ^2 to mean squared. The administration of this forum does not want to add sub- or supscript. I tried once to get them to add it obviously without luck.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:55 pm
@Emil,
Emil;164034 wrote:
Your writing style is very odd.

Yes, it seems intentionally designed to avoid saying anything clear. Maybe that is stylish these days. Or maybe only in Wales. A land of poets.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 07:16 pm
@kennethamy,
Marat wrote:
People are predicted because are weak and lazy. Therefore angels know the future

Well, that's certainly a strong argument.

fast

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 07:27 am
@mark noble,
[QUOTE=mark noble;163928]"Indisputably" = My way of stressing the degree of my definition of "certainty". Which I have now changed to "Indisputably definite". As in - "Are you indisputably definite the sun is yellow"? Rather than "Are you certain the sun is yellow?"[/quote]

What you seem to be asking is, "Are you so certain that the sun is yellow that it's impossible for you to be mistaken (?)". The answer is no. If someone says "yes," then they're probably confusing psychological certainty (which isn't what you're talking about) with epistemic certainty (which is what you're trying to get at).

Here's another way (but not necessarily the best way) to ask the very question that you are asking: Are you epistemically certain that the sun is yellow?

I don't think you should say, "Indisputably definite." One might ask me, "Are you definitely sure [that the sun is yellow]?" Because that speaks to psychological certainty (and thus not what you want to ask), I'd think it best if you didn't use the word "definite."

However, you seem to be trying to counteract the confusion that the word "definite" brings by qualifying the word with the word "Indisputably." Nice try!

But Houston, we still have a problem because of what "indisputable" actually means, and remember, it's gonna mean what it means no matter how much you want it to mean what you have in mind. Of course I can dispute that you have confidence anyway, so what "indisputably definite" means (if it means anything--which I'm doubtful that it does) doesn't stand in to ask what you want to ask. I think it's best (in my opinion) to just scrap that little phrase (which I don't think you're all that keen on anyway) and just adopt a term that is actually already being used by others to ask just what you want to ask.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 07:55 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;164041 wrote:

Yes, it bowels me over.

mark noble

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 08:15 am
@Marat phil,
Marat;163993 wrote:
The destiny is way of sin.

Freedom is way just.

God knows all history of mankind. He knows the future of the people and the states. It is not necessary to be god to understand that the person is captive of circumstances. People are predicted because are weak and lazy. Therefore angels know the future. People can't change world history. Ha Ha!. They can't change own destiny. They are cowardly and lazy and weak. Therefore are predicted. God sees all. But it is free world. The future can be changed. The sin does us by slaves. The sin (laziness, passivity, cowardice) kills Freedom.

Hello Marat,

Nice to meet you.

Does God know the outcome of the seed He planted? Yes. for He is at the end (everlasting to everlasting) And can a mortal intervene with the will of God, therefore, overpowering His will? No. Is the Book of the Lamb variable? No. So how can mortal man alter, what has already been set in stone, by God (Biblical God)? He can't!
If God Exists , my friend, then destiny (fate) is an absolute.

I'll happily discuss this with you, but, I don't want to corrupt this thread.

Thank you, and stay faithful.

Mark...

---------- Post added 05-14-2010 at 03:28 PM ----------

kennethamy;164037 wrote:
Yes, it seems intentionally designed to avoid saying anything clear. Maybe that is stylish these days. Or maybe only in Wales. A land of poets.

Hiya Ken,

It's not a welsh thing. It's a me thing.
I am a poet, neverthelesss, and my works inspire, more than I dare mention, or care to.
My publishers must be rubbing theri hands together, because what I write, sells, and sells well.

Thank you Ken, you are a good, witty and intelligent fella.
And I like you for that.

Mark...

fast

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 08:29 am
@mark noble,
[QUOTE=mark noble;164239]Hello Marat,[/QUOTE]
mark noble;164239 wrote:

Nice to meet you.

Does God know the outcome of the seed He planted? Yes. for He is at the end (everlasting to everlasting) And can a mortal intervene with the will of God, therefore, overpowering His will? No. Is the Book of the Lamb variable? No. So how can mortal man alter, what has already been set in stone, by God (Biblical God)? He can't!
If God Exists , my friend, then destiny (fate) is an absolute.

I'm sitting at the edge of the ramp with my motorcycle contemplating making the jump. I don't know if I'm going to attempt it or not, but whatever the case may be, it's my choice. I will decide whether or not I make that jump, for God has given me the ability to make choices of my own free will. Yes, God knows what choice I will make, for He knows everything, but I will not make the choice I will BECAUSE God knows what choice I will make. I will make the choice I will because, well, I'm an idiot that doesn't always think ... Yee Haw!

Emil

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:02 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;164041 wrote:

The principle of charity is your friend!

Natural language:
Quote:
People are predicted because are weak and lazy. Therefore angels know the future
Refined language interpretation:

1. If people are predicted because are weak and lazy, then angels know the future.
2. People are predicted because are weak and lazy.
Thus, 3. Angels know the future.

Voila! A valid argument for you. The premises are of course .....

mark noble

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:11 am
@fast,
fast;164243 wrote:

I'm sitting at the edge of the ramp with my motorcycle contemplating making the jump. I don't know if I'm going to attempt it or not, but whatever the case may be, it's my choice. I will decide whether or not I make that jump, for God has given me the ability to make choices of my own free will. Yes, God knows what choice I will make, for He knows everything, but I will not make the choice I will BECAUSE God knows what choice I will make. I will make the choice I will because, well, I'm an idiot that doesn't always think ... Yee Haw!

Hiya Fast,

I commend you for your usage of correct capitals... Noted!

Can we supercede the innevitable? ie; If God's outcome is unchangeable, are we not pawns to the player?

Thank you Fast, and fruit fully.

Mark...

fast

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 11:38 am
@mark noble,
[QUOTE=mark noble;164279]If God's outcome is unchangeable, are we not pawns to the player?[/QUOTE]God's knowledge of what we will do has no causal effect on the choices we make.

Yes, things will happen just as He knows they will; moreover, we will do exactly what He knows we will, but notice that I didn't say we must do as He knows we will. That's counterintuitive to you isn't it! It used to be to me as well.

Funny thing is, even after understanding the relationship between "will" and "must," that still didn't alleviate the original intuition.

Here's a summary of the relationship: "must" implies "will", but "will" doesn't imply "must," so "must" is stronger than "will." Henceforth, if I must do X, then I will do X, but if it's only the case that I will do X, that's not to say I must do X.

But, the question still grips you doesn't it! How can it be (I hear you scream!)? How can it be that it's not the case we mustn't do what we will when God knows what we will do?

I opened up my mail, and in one of the envelopes was my registration for my vehicle, and on the back of the registration, it reads something to the effect that people convicted of a sex offence must register with the Sheriff's office. It's apparently a standard note printed on all registrations in South Carolina now. What's interesting about this is that it says what a person must do. "Must" they say.

Language. Isn't it just wonderful? Words! They have meaning-all of them, so far as I can tell. But, I have this strange feeling that the word "must" is ambiguous and that our use of "must" on this forum doesn't always equate with how it was used on my vehicle registration.

There is a difference (a difference, I tell you) between a necessary truth and a contingent truth. Not every proposition is true, but every proposition that is true is either necessarily true or contingently true. So, what has this to do with anything? A lot. The word "must" is being used as is the word "necessary."

Consequently, when I use the word "must" and compare it to "will," you just might not quite grasp just what it is I'm saying exactly, so let's go over it again.

The implications of what you hold to be true is that all true propositions are necessary truths, but that's just simply not the case. You do have a choice whether or not you put on a seatbelt, and although God already knows what choice YOU WILL MAKE, the choice is still yours; thus, if you choose to put on a seatbelt, then it's true (contingently true) that you put on a seat belt, and if you choose to not put on a seatbelt, then it's still true (and still contingently true) that you put on a seat belt; furthermore, so long as it's contingently true (and thus not necessarily true), then it's not the case (hear me now) not the case (I say) that it was something you had to do. It was never a must. You made the choice. God simply knew what choice you would make.

I hope you made the right one.

If everything we did was something we had to do, then I do say that you aren't going to have much explaining to do when it comes time to explain your sin-since, if everything you will do is something you must do, then you have no moral responsibility for your actions.

xris

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 11:59 am
@fast,
I apologize for not reading the complete thread and if this point has already been made I beg your forgiveness.

I do not believe in god but do believe the future is known and if god existed his knowledge of my choices would not in any way make his possibility impossible.

I see life a bit like a film, a book, a story ...one that I write, I act out. It is my story, I write it with other stories interacting with mine. If you could record it and then make that available to view before my life story began...would it change my story, my ability ? I dont think so.

mark noble

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 01:41 pm
@xris,
xris;164308 wrote:
I apologize for not reading the complete thread and if this point has already been made I beg your forgiveness.

I do not believe in god but do believe the future is known and if god existed his knowledge of my choices would not in any way make his possibility impossible.

I see life a bit like a film, a book, a story ...one that I write, I act out. It is my story, I write it with other stories interacting with mine. If you could record it and then make that available to view before my life story began...would it change my story, my ability ? I dont think so.

Hi Xris,

I also believe my fate unavoidable. And believe in no God that is already fixed by mankind.
I'll keep this short, because my connection is sure to disconnect.

Thank you Xris, and fare well.

Mark.

---------- Post added 05-14-2010 at 08:44 PM ----------

fast;164306 wrote:
God's knowledge of what we will do has no causal effect on the choices we make.

Yes, things will happen just as He knows they will; moreover, we will do exactly what He knows we will, but notice that I didn't say we must do as He knows we will. That's counterintuitive to you isn't it! It used to be to me as well.

Funny thing is, even after understanding the relationship between "will" and "must," that still didn't alleviate the original intuition.

Here's a summary of the relationship: "must" implies "will", but "will" doesn't imply "must," so "must" is stronger than "will." Henceforth, if I must do X, then I will do X, but if it's only the case that I will do X, that's not to say I must do X.

But, the question still grips you doesn't it! How can it be (I hear you scream!)? How can it be that it's not the case we mustn't do what we will when God knows what we will do?

I opened up my mail, and in one of the envelopes was my registration for my vehicle, and on the back of the registration, it reads something to the effect that people convicted of a sex offence must register with the Sheriff's office. It's apparently a standard note printed on all registrations in South Carolina now. What's interesting about this is that it says what a person must do. "Must" they say.

Language. Isn't it just wonderful? Words! They have meaning-all of them, so far as I can tell. But, I have this strange feeling that the word "must" is ambiguous and that our use of "must" on this forum doesn't always equate with how it was used on my vehicle registration.

There is a difference (a difference, I tell you) between a necessary truth and a contingent truth. Not every proposition is true, but every proposition that is true is either necessarily true or contingently true. So, what has this to do with anything? A lot. The word "must" is being used as is the word "necessary."

Consequently, when I use the word "must" and compare it to "will," you just might not quite grasp just what it is I'm saying exactly, so let's go over it again.

The implications of what you hold to be true is that all true propositions are necessary truths, but that's just simply not the case. You do have a choice whether or not you put on a seatbelt, and although God already knows what choice YOU WILL MAKE, the choice is still yours; thus, if you choose to put on a seatbelt, then it's true (contingently true) that you put on a seat belt, and if you choose to not put on a seatbelt, then it's still true (and still contingently true) that you put on a seat belt; furthermore, so long as it's contingently true (and thus not necessarily true), then it's not the case (hear me now) not the case (I say) that it was something you had to do. It was never a must. You made the choice. God simply knew what choice you would make.

I hope you made the right one.

If everything we did was something we had to do, then I do say that you aren't going to have much explaining to do when it comes time to explain your sin-since, if everything you will do is something you must do, then you have no moral responsibility for your actions.

Hi Fast,

Your literal explanations are truly fascinating, but if I get overly tied down in perfect diction, I feel I'll have no brain capacity left to think with.

Thank you, and be merry.

Mark...

xris

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 01:57 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble;164319 wrote:
Hi Xris,

I also believe my fate unavoidable. And believe in no God that is already fixed by mankind.
I'll keep this short, because my connection is sure to disconnect.

Thank you Xris, and fare well.

Mark.
I Don't think I admitted to it being unavoidable. It is already written , but its written by me. A difficult concept to understand. Say you have written a book, you wrote it. Now imagine you could read that book before you had written it? Does it indicate you did not write it? or that its just a matter of perspective on time and its value. A third party with no ability to interfere, would know of your choices and even know your choices before you made them. Its still down to you, what you choose to do.

fast

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:26 pm
@kennethamy,

[QUOTE=xris;164308]I do not believe in god but do believe the future is known and if god existed his knowledge of my choices would not in any way make his possibility impossible.[/QUOTE]

From what you have said, I understand that you have a belief, and I understand that the belief you have is that the future is known, but what I don't understand is who you think has such knowledge. Other than God, I can't imagine whom you might think that is, and since you don't believe in God (and I'll just take that to mean you do not have a belief that He exists), I can only imagine agents (e.g. people) as possible candidates of who can know the future, yet because we (the people) cannot know the future, we don't know the future [for all events].

Even if we could know the future (not that we can-but just sayin' if), that's not to say that the future must be the way it will. It will be the way it will, but it won't be that it must be the way it will; hence, all future events won't thus be necessary events; they will be contingent events-and the recognition of that is (as I like to say) important.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 03:34 pm
@Emil,
Emil;164276 wrote:
The principle of charity if your friend!

Natural language:

1. If people are predicted because are weak and lazy, then angels know the future.

As it is said in Korean, "dunkoo".

Hey, what is this "voila" stuff?

Emil

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 12:16 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;164367 wrote:
As it is said in Korean, "dunkoo".

Hey, what is this "voila" stuff?

I'm thinking "voila" is a pretty common expression in english, unlike, say, ceteris paribus.

xris

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:30 am
@fast,
fast;164361 wrote:

From what you have said, I understand that you have a belief, and I understand that the belief you have is that the future is known, but what I don't understand is who you think has such knowledge. Other than God, I can't imagine whom you might think that is, and since you don't believe in God (and I'll just take that to mean you do not have a belief that He exists), I can only imagine agents (e.g. people) as possible candidates of who can know the future, yet because we (the people) cannot know the future, we don't know the future [for all events].

Even if we could know the future (not that we can-but just sayin' if), that's not to say that the future must be the way it will. It will be the way it will, but it won't be that it must be the way it will; hence, all future events won't thus be necessary events; they will be contingent events-and the recognition of that is (as I like to say) important.
Why should it need the invention of god to propose that time is an illusion. I'm not saying its known ,the future,but the concept should be acceptable. Predetermination or chaos, do they both need to be conclusively proven to stand debate? I don't believe we can know if god exists, its beyond our reasoning. At this moment I cant find evidence of a described god.

My reasoning had to develop through believing I viewed a future event. Till that point I did not believe the future was or could be known. It was a paradox for me, believing one thing and experiencing another.

Zetherin

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 03:42 am
@Emil,
Emil;164276 wrote:
The principle of charity is your friend!

Natural language:

Thank you, Emil. I'm really going to have to take this one under great consideration.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:03:25