The Fatal Paradox

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

fast

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:53 am
@mark noble,
[QUOTE=mark noble;163406]Why does this gesture of well-being draw so much attention?[/QUOTE]Because its repeated use is odd.

[QUOTE]Thank you fast, and fare well,[/QUOTE]Just so you know, I am not interpretting that as an ominous threat on my life. Very Happy

Emil

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 10:58 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;163291 wrote:
Compare, the fatalistic slogan "whatever will happen will happen" with the two slogans, "business is business", and "war is war" (we might call them "the cynical slogans"). And just as the cynical slogans taken in one way are trivially true, and taken in a different (non-trivial) way are, to say the least, morally controversial, so the fatalistic slogan, taken in one way, is trivially true, but taken in another way, is, to say the least, empirically controversial.

Are there more of these kinds of sentences? Trivially true on one interpretation, controversial on the other, and ambiguous? I asked you somewhere else too but I didn't see any reply. Maybe I forgot to look in the thread again.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:02 am
@fast,
fast;163491 wrote:
Because its repeated use is odd.

Just so you know, I am not interpretting that as an ominous threat on my life. Very Happy

...If you care and dare, then the welfare in the fare well...
...much obliged ! :a-ok:

mark noble

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 11:27 am
@fast,
fast;163491 wrote:
Because its repeated use is odd.

Just so you know, I am not interpretting that as an ominous threat on my life. Very Happy

Hi fast,

Where I come from, people like each other, and express that openly, with a variety of pleasant gestures.
I understand this is perceived to be odd. but pleasant people aren't suspicious as to how they are perceived.

Maybe this species NEEDS this oddity to catch-on to make it through the next decade or so? I don't know.

Anyway I'm remaining polite.

And no intelligent person would perceive it as ominous - Which I can see that you are. (intelligent, NOT ominous)

I should start a thread on this, the backlash is phenomenal.

Thank you Fast, and have a great everything, always.

Mark...

fast

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 02:27 pm
@mark noble,
Part 1:

John has the mistaken (and unfortunate) belief that whatever happens must happen. Based on that, and that alone, I'm inclined to think that John is a Fatalist, but strangely enough, John wears a seatbelt in a state where no one is required to, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why until I began to engage in the act of philosophizing and started to think. I called on my newfound friend Logic and his trusty sidekick Argument and dove into the depths of John's confusion to take a peek.

He confidently says that his fate cannot be avoided, and I believed him to be correct, for necessarily, fate is unavoidable, but my belief was short-lived once I uncovered that when he says "his fate," he assumes that his actions are fated events, and it is that very assumption that underlies his confusion.

He most certainly can avoid putting on his seatbelt. He can choose to put it on, or he can choose not to. He can choose to do either. So, how can his belief that whatever happens must happen be true? It can't. Yes, there is a cause for why he put it on, but he wasn't compelled to put it on, so he put it on of his own free will-not because of fate.

mark noble

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 02:59 pm
@fast,
Hi,

An event that has expired can be labelled, with the gift of hindsight, as "fated". because it cannot be subject to change.

Before I can accuratly continue, could someone answer me this, please? Am I correct in my belief that "There is only ONE event, at any level, at any given location within this universe alone, that is the foremost and sole, actual, present event, that will, indeed, draw the next, as yet having not occured-event (future), into the present, and ultimately, become the ONE event that draws on the next?

Do events take place one at a time - frame by infinitesimally-immeasurable frame? That ultimately give time its foundation?

Thank you and, good tidings.

Mark...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:14 pm
@Emil,
Emil;163492 wrote:
Are there more of these kinds of sentences? Trivially true on one interpretation, controversial on the other, and ambiguous? I asked you somewhere else too but I didn't see any reply. Maybe I forgot to look in the thread again.

I suppose there are a lot of them, since philosophers live off them. What about psychological egoism, "Everyone acts from selfish motives"?

fast

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:22 pm
@mark noble,
[QUOTE=mark noble;163558]An event that has expired can be labelled, with the gift of hindsight, as "fated". because it cannot be subject to change.[/QUOTE]I suppose by "an event that has expired" you mean "an event that has already occurred," and yes, you can call such an event fated, but I can also call a tail a leg, but no tail is a leg, so we can call things one thing even though they are not that thing. Yes, a past event cannot change since it has already happened, but that it has already happened isn't to say it was a fated event, as saying it was a fated event is to say it was an event that was unavoidable, but why think that because an event has passed that it was therefore unavoidable? You shouldn't.

---------- Post added 05-12-2010 at 05:28 PM ----------

mark noble;163558 wrote:
Thank you and, good tidings.
You're killin' me!

mark noble

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:32 pm
@kennethamy,
Hi Ken,

I've run this one by many a fair mind, and know not of any selfless action.
Can you supply one for me to analyse, or an argument that seems to?

Thank you Ken, journey well.

Mark...

---------- Post added 05-12-2010 at 10:46 PM ----------

fast;163567 wrote:
but why think that because an event has passed that it was therefore unavoidable? You shouldn't.
---------- Post added 05-12-2010 at 05:28 PM ----------

You're killin' me!

Hi fast,

Do excuse my messy reconstruction of other's quotes. I haven't begun to master the multiquote function, as of yet.

I don't know whether a past event is avoidable, or not, but, I can't prove that it was (the avoidability, that is) (or the knowing (indisputable knowing) that is). That's why I asked.

I have NO intention of killing you (FOR THE RECORD). I quite like you actually (In a non-weird way) of course.

Anyway, thank you for responding. and be merry.

Mark...

P.S. If you have time, could you answer the other parts of the question, please?
Thank you. bye.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:49 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble;163576 wrote:
Hi Ken,

I've run this one by many a fair mind, and know not of any selfless action.
Can you supply one for me to analyse, or an argument that seems to?

Thank you Ken, journey well.

Mark...

I mentioned the view that all actions are selfish. That is not equivalent to no actions are selfless. It is not true that all actions must be either selfish, or if not selfish, selfless. My taking a nap when tired is neither selfish nor selfless. I, along with a number of 18th century moralists, are happy to say that most actions are self-interested. But that does not mean that all actions are selfish. I can act self-interestedly, without acting selfishly.

So, taking a nap in the afternoon when I am tired is not selfless. But it is not selfish either. It is morally neutral.

mark noble

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:58 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;163586 wrote:
I mentioned the view that all actions are selfish. That is not equivalent to some actions are selfless. It is not true that all actions must be either selfish, or if not selfish, selfless. My taking a nap when tired is neither selfish nor selfless.

So, taking a nap in the afternoon when I am tired is not selfless. But it is not selfish either. It is morally neutral.

Hi Ken,

Do you achieve, post-nap, a sense of refreshment? because,if so, you have affected yourself positively. and through your own selfish act, have enhanced your spirit> causing comfort and a degree of self-satisfaction.

I really have paid a lot of attention to this, Ken.

Thank you, and be merry.

Mark...

P.S. That russian doll query? time permitting, of course.

Emil

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 03:58 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;163564 wrote:
I suppose there are a lot of them, since philosophers live off them. What about psychological egoism, "Everyone acts from selfish motives"?

Oh yeah, that's a good one. Used to fool me when I was younger, I'd say about 17. I dropped the idea completely after reading this.

Egoism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

mark noble

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 04:10 pm
@Emil,
Emil;163593 wrote:
Oh yeah, that's a good one. Used to fool me when I was younger, I'd say about 17. I dropped the idea completely after reading this.

Egoism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Hello Emil,

Don't assume that because it is written - That it is truth.

I'll start a thread on this soon, to prove psychological egoism to be integrally flawed.

Nice to meet you, by the way.

Thankyou and be merry.

Mark...

fast

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 05:00 pm
@mark noble,
[QUOTE=mark noble;163576]Do excuse my messy reconstruction of other's quotes. I haven't begun to master the multiquote function, as of yet.[/QUOTE]Awe shucks. That's no problem--no problem at all.

[QUOTE]I don't know whether a past event is avoidable, or not,[/QUOTE]
Sometimes, I don't know if it's the not thinking that gets us into trouble or the thinking that messes us up. When I was younger, I recall being told that I could easily avoid putting my foot in my mouth if only I'd think before I speak, but I've found that people who are essentially beginners at philosophizing get themselves into more trouble with their thinking than they would if they'd just stick with what they thought before they began thinking so intensely on a philosophical problem. Wild thinking left unchecked can lead to some rather bizarre beliefs.

I suppose doing philosophy right (analytical philosophy, that is--I can't speak for them continental's ya know) is a learned skill. Before we can get really good at philosophizing, we first need to learn how to think with a bit of structure, or logically as it were. Doing philosophy without a minimal understanding of logic is like walking on quicksand. An understanding of logic and argumentation will provide a swell foundation for our philosophical journey.

I wonder why. I wonder why you don't know past events were avoidable. Have you worn a seatbelt lately? Could you not have avoided the consequences of your choice by making an alternative choice? You say you have no intentions of killing me, but surely you think you'd be morally responsible if you did, right? Yet, if it wasn't avoidable, then who would lock you away? If it's unavoidable, then what could you have done to prevent it from happening? If it's unavoidable, then there's nothing you could have done. Surely you know better than that.

Or, maybe the issue you're having has to do with knowledge. After all you say you don't know. Well, I think you do know. The widely recognized necessary conditions of knowledge are 1) you believe what you do, 2) what you believe is true, and 3) the belief is justified. You do believe that you can avoid putting on your seatbelt, and you believe you can avoid killing me don't you? It's true that you can avoid putting on your seatbelt, and it's true that you can avoid killing me, right? Don't you have justification for thinking you can indeed avoid putting on a seatbelt ... and killing me? Yes, yes, and yes, so yes, events are avoidable. You do know.

Are you so certain that it's impossible that you could be mistaken? No, but talk about raising the bar!!! No one can be that certain, so does that mean we don't really know while we think we do? That's silly. Of course we know things. To think we don't know anything is absurd. You'd have to be committed to saying you believe you don't know 2+2= four; imagine how silly that would be. See how thinking gets people in trouble? Left unchecked, people who try to critically think without some understanding of logic is bound to make some mistakes along the way, and the more that's made, the more other mistakes that build upon those mistakes are made, and the longer people go on with those beliefs, the greater the possibility they have of becoming a famous philosopher.

Oh yes, the greatest philosophers are the one's who have made the greatest mistakes. But, don't aspire to make mistakes, for I assure you, the one's you (and I) make along the way have been done a thousand fold.

[QUOTE]but, I can't prove that it was (the avoidability, that is) (or the knowing (indisputable knowing) that is). That's why I asked. [/QUOTE]
Truth is independent of your ability to prove anything, so even if you can't prove it (which I don't know why you couldn't), it's still the case that events that have already taken place could have been avoided.

I didn't quite understand that last part about indisputable

[QUOTE]Anyway, thank you for responding. and be merry. [/QUOTE]
You continue to be nice. I don't know where you're from, but around these parts, we do not say be merry. Well, during Christmas, we say merry Christmas--well, some of us do anyway.

PS: there's nothing wrong with being nice.

Stay out of Hallmark. Smile

Oh, and before I forget: be merry

Emil

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 05:10 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble;163602 wrote:
Hello Emil,

Don't assume that because it is written - That it is truth.

I'll start a thread on this soon, to prove psychological egoism to be integrally flawed.

Nice to meet you, by the way.

Thankyou and be merry.

Mark...

Ok .... Did you think that I thought that if it were written, then it is true? What kind of moron would believe that anyway?

mark noble

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 09:25 am
@Emil,
Emil;163617 wrote:
Ok .... Did you think that I thought that if it were written, then it is true? What kind of moron would believe that anyway?

Hi Emil,

I would never refer to anyone as a moron.

excuse my post, Apparently I'm a bit odd, anyway.

E=mcsquared (can't find little 2 on keyboard, so use (squared) in its' place)
That's written, and quite a few people believe it.

Anyway, sorry to cause a problem.

Thank you, and journey well.

Mark...

---------- Post added 05-13-2010 at 04:29 PM ----------

Hi Fast,
I've written four rather long replies to this, but my connection keeps crashing on long submissions, so if you don't get it soon - you will get it eventually.

You've great communicational skills, by the way.

Thank you Fast, and prosper fantastically, with a degree of moderation, of course.

Mark...

fast

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 09:58 am
@kennethamy,
That something is written may not imply that what is written is true, but it does suggest that what is written is true. Some say that we shouldn't assume that "if something is written, then it is therefore true," and perhaps they are correct, yet we shouldn't question every claim made by the authors that have written what they have if we are only beginning to understand what we're being told.

For example, if you are reading a logic textbook for the first time, it's okay to question certain things that stand out as you go along, but unless there is a substantially good reason not to believe what is being said, then we should not let that "imply" "suggest" distinction escape us and impede our progress; after all, because what is being said suggests that what is written is true, it indeed stands as a reason for believing that it MAY be true; of course, it doesn't imply that what is written is true, but because it's suggested that it may be true, there's nothing wrong with temporarily assuming that it is true-- so long as there's no countervailing reasons for thinking otherwise.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 10:48 am
@fast,
fast;163887 wrote:
That something is written may not imply that what is written is true, but it does suggest that what is written is true. Some say that we shouldn't assume that "if something is written, then it is therefore true," and perhaps they are correct, yet we shouldn't question every claim made by the authors that have written what they have if we are only beginning to understand what we're being told.

For example, if you are reading a logic textbook for the first time, it's okay to question certain things that stand out as you go along, but unless there is a substantially good reason not to believe what is being said, then we should not let that "imply" "suggest" distinction escape us and impede our progress; after all, because what is being said suggests that what is written is true, it indeed stands as a reason for believing that it MAY be true; of course, it doesn't imply that what is written is true, but because it's suggested that it may be true, there's nothing wrong with temporarily assuming that it is true-- so long as there's no countervailing reasons for thinking otherwise.

"Suggest it is true" is not the same as "imply that it is true". That is if what I say suggests that p is true, but if p is false, that does not mean I was wrong. However, if what I say implies that p is true, but if p is not true, I was wrong.

mark noble

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 01:14 pm
@fast,
fast;163616 wrote:
Awe shucks. That's no problem--no problem at all.

Sometimes, I don't know if it's the not thinking that gets us into trouble or the thinking that messes us up. When I was younger, I recall being told that I could easily avoid putting my foot in my mouth if only I'd think before I speak, but I've found that people who are essentially beginners at philosophizing get themselves into more trouble with their thinking than they would if they'd just stick with what they thought before they began thinking so intensely on a philosophical problem. Wild thinking left unchecked can lead to some rather bizarre beliefs.

I suppose doing philosophy right (analytical philosophy, that is--I can't speak for them continental's ya know) is a learned skill. Before we can get really good at philosophizing, we first need to learn how to think with a bit of structure, or logically as it were. Doing philosophy without a minimal understanding of logic is like walking on quicksand. An understanding of logic and argumentation will provide a swell foundation for our philosophical journey.

I wonder why. I wonder why you don't know past events were avoidable. Have you worn a seatbelt lately? Could you not have avoided the consequences of your choice by making an alternative choice? You say you have no intentions of killing me, but surely you think you'd be morally responsible if you did, right? Yet, if it wasn't avoidable, then who would lock you away? If it's unavoidable, then what could you have done to prevent it from happening? If it's unavoidable, then there's nothing you could have done. Surely you know better than that.

Or, maybe the issue you're having has to do with knowledge. After all you say you don't know. Well, I think you do know. The widely recognized necessary conditions of knowledge are 1) you believe what you do, 2) what you believe is true, and 3) the belief is justified. You do believe that you can avoid putting on your seatbelt, and you believe you can avoid killing me don't you? It's true that you can avoid putting on your seatbelt, and it's true that you can avoid killing me, right? Don't you have justification for thinking you can indeed avoid putting on a seatbelt ... and killing me? Yes, yes, and yes, so yes, events are avoidable. You do know.

Are you so certain that it's impossible that you could be mistaken? No, but talk about raising the bar!!! No one can be that certain, so does that mean we don't really know while we think we do? That's silly. Of course we know things. To think we don't know anything is absurd. You'd have to be committed to saying you believe you don't know 2+2= four; imagine how silly that would be. See how thinking gets people in trouble? Left unchecked, people who try to critically think without some understanding of logic is bound to make some mistakes along the way, and the more that's made, the more other mistakes that build upon those mistakes are made, and the longer people go on with those beliefs, the greater the possibility they have of becoming a famous philosopher.

Oh yes, the greatest philosophers are the one's who have made the greatest mistakes. But, don't aspire to make mistakes, for I assure you, the one's you (and I) make along the way have been done a thousand fold.

Truth is independent of your ability to prove anything, so even if you can't prove it (which I don't know why you couldn't), it's still the case that events that have already taken place could have been avoided.

I didn't quite understand that last part about indisputable

You continue to be nice. I don't know where you're from, but around these parts, we do not say be merry. Well, during Christmas, we say merry Christmas--well, some of us do anyway.

PS: there's nothing wrong with being nice.

Stay out of Hallmark. Smile

Oh, and before I forget: be merry

Hi Fast,

I'm not suggesting that, prior to an event ocurring, I didn't have the ability to avoid it, but, until the event had occured, I wouldn't have known of it, to avoid it.

If I turned left at a junction and crashed into a tree, I wouldn't have foreseen it coming so as to have turned right, to avoid it. If I had turned right, it wouldn't have happened, so I wouldn't know What it was I'd avoided. (for it never occured).

I can say, after the event, "If this or if that, then .....?" But hindsight of the event doesn't aid me, because I can't return to the event, in order to change it. And "If" is always used as a hypothetical supposition.

If I choose not to swim the Atlantic tomorrow - I am not avoiding the swimming of it - I just don't want to.
But, whatever I am recorded, to have done, in its absence - I would not have been able to avoid.

If I was a crook with loot in tow, and the police were chasing me - I swim a river to escape. I avoid the police, but not swimming the river - therefore, cannot avoid what actually occurs.
I can avoid what doesn't occur, but, if it doesn't occur, it's not been avoided. It just didn't occur.

If I cannot avoid what occurs? It stands to reason (mine, unfortunately) I couldn't have avoided what did occur.

I can avoid falling out of a plane, by not getting on a plane, but that's like saying "I can avoid waking up on Mars by not becomming an astronaut.

Ultimately, everything I don't do, can be classed as "being avoided", but nothing that I do, can be classed as "being avoidable".

Anyway - I agree "I know things", but not having the sum knowledge of everything, can never be indisputably definite that what knowledge I do posess is infallible.

"A man, wise in his own eyes, is a greater fool than, a man who isn't" (wise in his own eyes, that is)

"Indisputably" = My way of stressing the degree of my definition of "certainty". Which I have now changed to "Indisputably definite". As in - "Are you indisputably definite the sun is yellow"? Rather than "Are you certain the sun is yellow?"

I don't celebrate christmas, birthdays or any state-fixed holidays. I feel that to be merry when expected to be merry, is to be falsely merry. The celebration of given (future dates), simply makes the days preceding, less merry than the expected merriment of said fixed-merry expectant dates.
Rather, I celebrate every moment of every day, and every breath therein. I may be dead tomorrow, after all. Hopefully not though.

I live near the s.western coastline of Wales. It is a beautiful country of fertile mountain-fringed countryside, breathtaking coastal strolls and nice, welcoming people. It's at the s.western edge of the UK. (Near Ireland).

Thank you fast. This was brilliant!
I do enjoy our conversations...
Shine On sir!

Mark

fast

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 03:03 pm
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;163900]"Suggest it is true" is not the same as "imply that it is true". [/QUOTE]That's right, and that's what I said.

We are told by many that it can be unwise to assume that something is true just because something is written, and what we are told makes sense, for something being written doesn't imply that something is true.

However, we shouldn't necessarily take that truth and think it always unwise to make temporary assumptions that what is written is true. That is was even written is at least some reason to think it may be true, and if there is no presently known countervailing reasons for why it may not be true, it wouldn't necessarily be all that unwise to make some assumptions (at least temporary assumptions) that what is said is true.

Not doing so (not making any assumptions) could seriously impede one's progress in the learning process. If I were taking a beginners class (say, in Logic), I would give the instructor the benefit of the doubt (and assume that what I'm being told is true), and I will do that even though I may have questions or concerns. Later, and once my understanding of logic has moderately to substantially improved, I then would be in a better position to go back and question the assumptions that I have made along the way.

[QUOTE]That is if what I say suggests that p is true, but if p is false, that does not mean I was wrong. However, if what I say implies that p is true, but if p is not true, I was wrong.[/QUOTE]That's a bit different than what I was talking about. Consider the author of a logic book. It's usually the case that such person would be espousing the views expressed. That the author says what he says isn't to say that what he says is true, but the very fact it's been written (and the claims thus espoused) does suggest that it may be true, and making the assumption that such things said is true isn't all that bad of an idea, especially when there are no known countervailing reasons to think what is said is not true.

Assumptions aren't always as bad as some may make them out to be.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 05:11:50