Defense of Freewill Against Determinism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 06:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;145340 wrote:
Yes, and that logical impossibility implies a physical impossibility, namely that it is physically impossible for males to become pregnant, since for males to become pregnant is logically incompatible with their anatomy which does not permit them to become pregnant. If p and q are logically impossible, then p and q are physically impossible. What is logically impossible cannot be physically possible.

You didn't respond to this by the way:

Quote:
What evidence? That you observe it never happens? You're making the same mistake again. You think that since X never happens therefore X is physically impossible. At least, for some things anyways. You're not very consistent.

ACB

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;145332 wrote:
In other words, the proposition that males can become pregnant, and the proposition that males lack the physical equipment to become pregnant are logically incompatible.

Logical incompatibility is obviously a sufficient condition of physical impossibility. But is it a necessary condition?

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:19 am
@ACB,
ACB;145367 wrote:
Logical incompatibility is obviously a sufficient condition of physical impossibility. But is it a necessary condition?

Of course not and kennethamy knows this but he dishonestly retreats to arguments of logical impossibility instead of physical impossibility.

Emil

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:24 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;145633 wrote:
Of course not and kennethamy knows this but he dishonestly retreats to arguments of logical impossibility instead of physical impossibility.

I think you should give him more leeway and stop being too aggressive in discussions in general. This aggression does not help anything. Kennethamy is a very knowledgeable person on the topic of philosophy though a bit odd to communicate with (he blames the computer and his age).

Besides that, where did you learn about regularity theory? Did you read online articles like the ones at SEP and IEP, or did you read Swartz's book or something else?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:36 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;145346 wrote:
So a four-sided triangle is physically impossible?

It seems that for you "physically impossible" is simply another way of saying "logically impossible". I will remember to translate your statements in the future.

Not at all. You would be mistaken to do so. It is physically impossible for a human being to jump 100 feet into the air. But it is not logically impossible for a human being to do so. So, if I say that it is physically impossible for a human being to jump 100 feet into the air, you would be mistaken to believe that I was saying that is was logically impossible for a human being to jump 100 feet into the air. However, certainly, if it logically impossible to do something, then it is also physically impossible. But, not conversely. Of course, a four-sided triangle is physically impossible, since it is logically impossible. But it does not follow that it is logically impossible because it is physically impossible. To make it absolutely clear to you:

If X is logically impossible, then it is physically impossible. But it is false that if X is physically impossible, then it is logically impossible. There is only a one-way implication, not a two-way implication.

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:42 am
@Emil,
Emil;145638 wrote:
I think you should give him more leeway and stop being too aggressive in discussions in general. This aggression does not help anything. Kennethamy is a very knowledgeable person on the topic of philosophy though a bit odd to communicate with (he blames the computer and his age).

Besides that, where did you learn about regularity theory? Did you read online articles like the ones at SEP and IEP, or did you read Swartz's book or something else?

What does that matter? Can we stick to the discussion?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:42 am
@Emil,
Emil;145638 wrote:

Since I don't think I am hard to communicate with, I don't blame anything for it. What have I said in this thread that was unclear? Have you any example? I have said that logical impossibility implies physical impossibility, but that physical impossibility does not imply logical impossibility. Do you find that unclear? (Of course, iff they implied each other they would be equivalent. But since they don't imply each other, they are not equivalent). I am sure you don't find that hard to understand, do you?

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:43 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;145641 wrote:
If X is logically impossible, then it is physically impossible. But it is false that if X is physically impossible, then it is logically impossible. There is only a one-way implication, not a two-way implication.

You still haven't shown anything that is physically impossible in and of itself. You've shown something that's logically impossible and then claim "oh look, it's also physically impossible".

That doesn't support your argument and you know it.

Show me something physically impossible that isn't also logically impossible.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:46 am
@ACB,
ACB;145367 wrote:

No. What would make you think it was? (I am supposing you meant by "logical incompatibility", "logical impossibility". Why did you suddenly change terms? It is confusing).

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:48 am
@Night Ripper,

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:50 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;145649 wrote:

I did. A human being jumping 100 feet into the air is physically impossible, but since it does not entail a contradiction, it is logically possible (or not logically impossible).

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;145651 wrote:
I did. A human being jumping 100 feet into the air is physically impossible, but since it does not entail a contradiction, it is logically possible (or not logically impossible).

A human being will never jump 100 feet in the air but that doesn't mean a human being can't jump 100 feet in the air. Therefore it's not physically impossible.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:11 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;145655 wrote:
A human being will never jump 100 feet in the air but that doesn't mean a human being can't jump 100 feet in the air. Therefore it's not physically impossible.

I agree that it does not follow that because he doesn't he can't. But, then again, neither does it follow that because he doesn't, can. So whether or not he does has nothing to do with whether he can. So, the question of whether or not a human being can (or cannot) jump 100 feet into the air has to be settled on other than whether he does or does not do so. Now, there are excellent (and indeed decisive) reasons to think that he cannot. The physiologist can, I am sure, furnish you with those reasons. Look it up.

In any case, I hope you now see how logical and physical possibility are logically related.

Amperage

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:11 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;145655 wrote:
it's more than just they will never, it's that they can never. Humans heck the strongest animals lack the strength necessary to do such a thing.

Humans cannot breathe underwater. It's not that they won't its that they can't. They lack the necessary lung structure to do so.

physical impossibilities occur when one attempts to do something beyond ones own nature. vegetable oil cannot break out into song and dance. Not because it just won't but because it can't. It is not within the nature of what we call vegetable oil to do so.

everything has a nature which that thing is limited by. Nothing can do something outside or beyond its own nature. To do so would be both physically and logically impossible.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:20 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;145667 wrote:
it's more than just they will never, it's that they can never. Humans heck the strongest animals lack the strength necessary to do such a thing.

Humans cannot breathe underwater. It's not that they won't its that they can't. They lack the necessary lung structure to do so.

physical impossibilities occur when one attempts to do something beyond ones own nature. vegetable oil cannot break out into song and dance. Not because it just won't but because it can't. It is not within the nature of what we call vegetable oil to do so.

everything has a nature which that thing is limited by. Nothing can do something outside or beyond its own nature. To do so would be both physically and logically impossible.

Yes, I agree. But then, he thinks that it is physically possible for a male to become pregnant, and that we think it isn't possible just because no male has ever got pregnant. It is pretty weird.

As Wittgenstein would have said, he is "in the grip of a theory".

ACB

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 02:58 pm
@kennethamy,
With regard to post #149:
kennethamy;145648 wrote:
No. What would make you think it was? (I am supposing you meant by "logical incompatibility", "logical impossibility". Why did you suddenly change terms? It is confusing).

I chose my wording carefully. I was responding to your post #136, in which you argued that a male could not become pregnant because this would involve two propositions that were logically incompatible. In other words, you used a logical impossibility to prove a physical impossibility.

I fully agree with you that some things physically cannot happen (not just "will not" happen). But, since you mentioned a logical incompatibility in the male pregnancy example, I wondered whether you meant to imply that all physical impossibilities involved some kind of contradiction. Take the example of a person jumping 100 feet into the air: does that likewise imply two contradictory propositions?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 03:08 pm
@ACB,
ACB;145767 wrote:
With regard to post #149:

I chose my wording carefully. I was responding to your post #136, in which you argued that a male could not become pregnant because this would involve two propositions that were logically incompatible. In other words, you used a logical impossibility to prove a physical impossibility.

I fully agree with you that some things physically cannot happen (not just "will not" happen). But, since you mentioned a logical incompatibility in the male pregnancy example, I wondered whether you meant to imply that all physical impossibilities involved some kind of contradiction. Take the example of a person jumping 100 feet into the air: does that likewise imply two contradictory propositions?

Yes, if something is logically impossible, then it is also physically impossible. How could what is contradictory be physically possible? It can't. Jumping 100 feet into the air does not imply a contradiction. But it is a contradiction for something to be physically possible that is incompatible with a law of nature. For that is what it means for something to be physically impossible. It means that it is incompatible with a law of nature. Thus, it is physically impossible for a human to jump 100 feet because for him to do such a thing would be incompatible with the laws of physiology. It is not contradictory for a human to jump 100 feet. But is a contradiction for a human to jump 100 feet, and for the laws of physiology to be as they are. (It is not contradictory for a figure to be a square, but it is contradictory for a figure to be both a square and a circle).

Emil

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 04:06 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;145772 wrote:
Yes, if something is logically impossible, then it is also physically impossible. How could what is contradictory be physically possible? It can't. Jumping 100 feet into the air does not imply a contradiction. But it is a contradiction for something to be physically possible that is incompatible with a law of nature. For that is what it means for something to be physically impossible. It means that it is incompatible with a law of nature. Thus, it is physically impossible for a human to jump 100 feet because for him to do such a thing would be incompatible with the laws of physiology. It is not contradictory for a human to jump 100 feet. But is a contradiction for a human to jump 100 feet, and for the laws of physiology to be as they are. (It is not contradictory for a figure to be a square, but it is contradictory for a figure to be both a square and a circle).

Inconsistent with which law of physiology?

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 04:21 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;145667 wrote:
Nothing can do something outside or beyond its own nature. To do so would be both physically and logically impossible.

The problem is, we decide what the nature of a thing is by observing what it does. In this case, we have observed that nothing without gills ever breaths underwater. The problem is, you are again appealing only to what doesn't happen, not what can't happen. Even though it's true that:

1. Nothing without gills ever breaths underwater.

(1) doesn't imply that it can't happen, only that it doesn't happen. Just because something never happens doesn't mean it can't happen. Yet that's the exact same fallacy that's being used over and over again.

Amperage

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 04:25 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;145812 wrote:
The problem is, we decide what the nature of a thing is by observing what it does. In this case, we have observed that nothing without gills ever breaths underwater. The problem is, you are again appealing only to what doesn't happen, not what can't happen. Even though it's true that:

1. Nothing without gills ever breaths underwater.

(1) doesn't imply that it can't happen. Only that it doesn't happen. Just because something never happens doesn't mean it can't happen. Yet that's the exact same fallacy that's being used over and over again.
see it goes beyond simply "deciding what the nature of a thing is by observing what it is". We actually do experiments to figure out positively(as in we pinpoint) what aspects of a thing lends itself to being able to do a certain thing. We postulate what it might be and then run countless controlled experiments to figure out if our hypothesis was correct or not.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/18/2024 at 05:22:08