Defense of Freewill Against Determinism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:54 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152509 wrote:
we have presupposed that Zoltar knows all....Therefore since a truth value exists for the proposition prior to the actual event(according to proposition bivalence), he knows what the value is(true or false, 1 or the other absolutely, not both and not neither, according proposition bivalence)

I thought my last post pretty much spelled it out. "Apparently you are going to choose to die." I see that as a problem....maybe you don't.

This is the problem with espousing proposition bivalence....I am left to wonder why I am going to choose to die....when I know ahead of time.

I suppose that is because you are not depressed or very ill. There is a large clinic in Switzerland which is dedicated to people who have chosen to die, and die by advanced medical means. It is legal in Switzerland. There is nothing impossible in people choosing to die if that is your problem.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152513 wrote:
I suppose that is because you are not depressed or very ill. There is a large clinic in Switzerland which is dedicated to people who have chosen to die, and die by advanced medical means. It is legal in Switzerland. There is nothing impossible in people choosing to die if that is your problem.
you are attempting to twist the issue to try and escape it.

choosing X may mean choosing to take a taxi instead of taking the subway.

if zoltar tells me that tomorrow choosing the taxi in lieu of the subway will lead to my death and zoltar is always right...

well then for some reason I'm still going to choose to take the taxi. The doesn't negate anything(like free will), but it leaves one to wonder about the validity of proposition bivalence(or the validity of free will).

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 07:12 PM ----------

Emil was asking for an article which discussed the side of the issue I've been arguing and here is one that I found....I have not read it myself so I can't say how good it is or not but...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=10&ved=0CCcQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fciteseerx.ist.psu.edu%2Fviewdoc%2Fdownload%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.110.3388%26rep%3Drep1%26type%3Dpdf&rct=j&q=bivalence+is+false&ei=v6fHS93gC5X68wTvyO3kCg&usg=AFQjCNGRCIJGi1HYP5uzoa6WGhmgN8li0Q

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Rosser: Review: Charles A. Baylis, Are Some Propositions Neither True nor False?

SpringerLink - Journal Article

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:14 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152519 wrote:
you are attempting to twist the issue to try and escape it.

choosing X may mean choosing to take a taxi instead of taking the subway.

if zoltar tells me that tomorrow choosing the taxi in lieu of the subway will lead to my death and zoltar is always right...

well then for some reason I'm still going to choose to take the taxi. The doesn't negate anything(like free will), but it leaves one to wonder about the validity of proposition bivalence(or the validity of free will).

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 07:12 PM ----------

Emil was asking for an article which discussed the side of the issue I've been arguing and here is one that I found....I have not read it myself so I can't say how good it is or not but...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=10&ved=0CCcQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fciteseerx.ist.psu.edu%2Fviewdoc%2Fdownload%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.110.3388%26rep%3Drep1%26type%3Dpdf&rct=j&q=bivalence+is+false&ei=v6fHS93gC5X68wTvyO3kCg&usg=AFQjCNGRCIJGi1HYP5uzoa6WGhmgN8li0Q

well then for some reason I'm still going to choose to take the taxi. The doesn't negate anything(like free will), but it leaves one to wonder about the validity of proposition bivalence(or the validity of free will)

Wonder what? And why?.........

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152523 wrote:
Wonder what? And why?.........
why the heck I would take the taxi knowing it would lead to my death.....why? because I don't want to die tomorrow!!! why else?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:26 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152524 wrote:
why the heck I would take the taxi knowing it would lead to my death.....why? because I don't want to die tomorrow!!! why else?

Because you wanted to die, I suppose. Why else? As I already told you, some people want to die. You might find that mysterious and bothersome, but people have their reasons. They have different reasons, of course.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152530 wrote:
Because you wanted to die, I suppose. Why else? As I already told you, some people want to die. You might find that mysterious and bothersome, but people have their reasons. They have different reasons, of course.
yes, that can be the only explanation if one wishes to espouse both free will and bivalence.

while before hand it would have been an ''accident'', after zoltar tells me it will be of my own free choice.....but one thing is for certain it will happen....thus why I think bivalence implies fatalism....nothing can change what will happen

some people may not accept that reasoning though....and IMO they'd have reason not to. As I've said....the simple way to avoid such a "freely choosing" to die problem is to assert that propositions are not bivalent...at least not all of them

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:43 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152531 wrote:
yes, that can be the only explanation if one wishes to espouse both free will and bivalence.

while before hand it would have been an ''accident'', after zoltar tells me it will be of my own free choice.....but one thing is for certain it will happen....thus why I think bivalence implies fatalism....nothing can change what will happen

some people may not accept that reasoning though....and IMO they'd have reason not to. As I've said....the simple way to avoid such a "freely choosing" to die problem is to assert that propositions are not bivalent...at least not all of them

So what is wrong with that explanation? It is hard to see where you are going with all this. As I told you, a number of people go to this clinic or hotel in Switzerland in order to be put to death. Couples go too. They do choose to die. Why should we avoid this fact? I simply don't understand what you are arguing anymore.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152536 wrote:
So what is wrong with that explanation? It is hard to see where you are going with all this. As I told you, a number of people go to this clinic or hotel in Switzerland in order to be put to death. Couples go too. They do choose to die. Why should we avoid this fact? I simply don't understand what you are arguing anymore.
I'm not arguing.....if you don't have a problem with being told, doing X will kill you, by zoltar, and understanding that, for whatever reason, you are still going to freely choose X, then there is no problem.

I don't have a problem with this....apparently you don't either....therefore there is no argument.

I then simply stated in passing that there are those who would not accept this fact. It may seem to them to be more likely that propositions are not bivalent than to think they would freely choose X knowing full well in advance X will be their death.

As a believer in God and a believer in God's foreknowledge and things like prophecy, I feel obligated to espouse bivalence, but those who either don't believe in God or don't think God knows the future, would be under no such obligation.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 06:56 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152539 wrote:
I'm not arguing.....if you don't have a problem with being told doing X will kill you by zoltar and understanding that for whatever reason you are still going to freely choose X then there is no problem.

I don't have a problem with this....apparently you don't either....therefore there is no argument.

I then simply stated in passing that there are those who would not accept this fact. It may seem to them to be more likely that propositions are not bivalent than to think they would freely choose X knowing full well in advance X will be their death.

But it is a fact that people do exactly that. So what does it mean to have a problem with accepting that fact. The nuclear bomb is difficult to accept to. But it is a fact that there is a nuclear bomb. Should we give up on bi-valence so that we needn't accept the existence of the nuclear bomb? I am baffled.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:01 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152542 wrote:
But it is a fact that people do exactly that. So what does it mean to have a problem with accepting that fact. The nuclear bomb is difficult to accept to. But it is a fact that there is a nuclear bomb. Should we give up on bi-valence so that we needn't accept the existence of the nuclear bomb? I am baffled.
I'm not even sure how that relates.

for someone who thinks we should give up on bivalence what more justification do they need than recognizing the problem with espousing it?

that being....someone(knowing the future) could hypothetically tell me that tomorrow I will find myself in a room with 2 doors....marked door 1 and door 2....with one leading to safety and the other my death......and I will choose door 1 and die..........

well for some crazy reason you WILL STILL choose door 1 knowing what's going to happen in advance, whereas before you chose door 1 merely by accident because you had no way of knowing in advance which door would lead to your death.

some people may take issue with that....and figure, well it seems more likely to me that propositions aren't bivalent

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:04 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152539 wrote:
I'm not arguing.....if you don't have a problem with being told, doing X will kill you, by zoltar, and understanding that, for whatever reason, you are still going to freely choose X, then there is no problem.

As a believer in God and a believer in God's foreknowledge and things like prophecy, I feel obligated to espouse bivalence, but those who either don't believe in God or don't think God knows the future would not be obligated to espouse bivalence.

What has God's foreknowledge to do with it? God knows what I will do, but that doesn't force me to do what I do, does it? God knew that Judas would sin, and God knew that Judas would choose to sin as well. So Judas sinned of his own free will, and God's foreknowledge was not inconsistent with that. I brush my teeth religiously every morning. And my wife knows I do that. So, she knows I will brush my teeth tomorrow morning. Does that mean I will not brush my teeth of my own free will? Of course not. So why does God's knowing I will brush tomorrow morning mean that I will not brush of my own free will? Answer, it doesn't. No more than that my wife's knowing it means that I won't brush of my own free will.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152546 wrote:
What has God's foreknowledge to do with it?
God's foreknowledge proves to me why bivalence is true...

kennethamy;152546 wrote:
God knows what I will do, but that doesn't force me to do what I do, does it?
No, it doesn't force you to do anything.....I didn't say it did.

kennethamy;152546 wrote:
So why does God's knowing I will brush tomorrow morning mean that I will not brush of my own free will? Answer, it doesn't. No more than that my wife's knowing it means that I won't brush of my own free will.
It doesn't and I never said it did....I don't know how you got that I thought this from what I wrote, but you certainty thrashed a strawman.....and I'm in total agreement with everything you said

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:12 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152548 wrote:

No, it doesn't force you to do anything.....I didn't say it did.

It doesn't and I never said it did....I don't know how you got that I thought this from what I wrote, but you certainty thrashed a strawman.....and I'm in total agreement with everything you said

Could you explain that? But could you leave off the "to me" bit? Suppose that God perfectly knows that you are going to brush your teeth tomorrow. How does that prove that bivalence is true?

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:17 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152551 wrote:
Could you explain that? But could you leave off the "to me" bit?

the reason I say that is because I think God REALLY does know the future.

Therefore for me to say that bivalence is false would be to say that, no one, not even God could know or tell me the outcome of a future choice before the choice actually happens because if propositions are NOT bivalent then no truth-value exists before the fact to be known or told.

so clearly since I think God knows the future, proposition's must have a known truth value even before the fact.

Thus what proves to me why the law of bivalence is true........and if not for the above facts, I would remain unconvinced.

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 08:26 PM ----------

kennethamy;152551 wrote:
Suppose that God perfectly knows that you are going to brush your teeth tomorrow. How does that prove that bivalence is true?
because if that proposition did not contain a truth-value one way or the other prior to you actually brushing your teeth, He couldn't know it since there would be nothing to know...

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:27 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152555 wrote:
the reason I say that is because I think God REALLY does know the future.

Therefore for me to say that bivalence is false would be to say that, no one, not even God could know or tell me the outcome of a future choice before the choice actually happens because if propositions are NOT bivalent then no truth-value exists before the fact to be known.

But what is supposed to be the relation between God's foreknowledge and free will, then? I don't see how all this is supposed to connect up with the op.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:29 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152559 wrote:
But what is supposed to be the relation between God's foreknowledge and free will, then? I don't see how all this is supposed to connect up with the op.
It doesn't connect to the OP but you asked me to clarify how my belief in God proves to me that propositions are bivalent so I did.

the law of bivalence does not prove free will nor does it prove determinism.

and not espousing proposition bivalence doesn't prove free will nor does it prove determinism as well.

rejecting bivalence does imply a rejection of fatalism though whereas acceptance of bivalence does not....

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:37 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152560 wrote:
It doesn't connect to the OP but you asked me to clarify how my belief in God proves to me that propositions are bivalent so I did.

But the fact that there is human knowledge proves that there are true and false propositions, since no one could know anything unless what was known is true. So why is God's knowledge special? But God's knowledge does not prove bi-valence since if there are any statements that are neither true nor false, then God cannot know them either. Take, for instance the statement that Hamlet sneezed before he murdered Polonius (in Shakepeare's play). No one, not even God, could know whether or not that statement is true or false. God, doubtless, knows whatever there is that can be known, but even God cannot know what cannot be known.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152568 wrote:
But the fact that there is human knowledge proves that there are true and false propositions, since no one could know anything unless what was known is true. So why is God's knowledge special? But God's knowledge does not prove bi-valence since if there are any statements that are neither true nor false, then God cannot know them either. Take, for instance the statement that Hamlet sneezed before he murdered Polonius (in Shakepeare's play). No one, not even God, could know whether or not that statement is true or false. God, doubtless, knows whatever there is that can be known, but even God cannot know what cannot be known.
sure it proves it...and I just explained why....

So do you want to argue that propositions can be neither true nor false now....the very thing you've been debating about with me for so many pages now???? because LEM, noncontradition, and bivalence would all beg to differ

certainly there are neutral statements, but I thought we were talking about propositions

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:43 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152570 wrote:
sure it proves it...and I just explained why....

So do you want to argue that propositions can be neither true nor false now????

Some propositions, like the one about Hamlet, sure. That one is neither true nor false. I never said that all statements are either true or false. That isn't true.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 07:44 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152571 wrote:
Some propositions, like the one about Hamlet, sure. That one is neither true nor false. I never said that all statements are either true or false. That isn't true.
lol. well then you obviously think the principle of bivalence is either false or has exceptions

the very thing you've been arguing against...and that I was arguing for

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 03:12:06