Defense of Freewill Against Determinism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:23 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;152393 wrote:
well that's my point......there is NO knowable outcome.....the outcome cannot be known in advance

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:27 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152394 wrote:
well that's my point......there is NO knowable outcome.....the outcome cannot be known in advance

Check again my last post...because that brings a problem with non-Being.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:31 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;152396 wrote:
Check again my last post...because that brings a problem with non-Being.
Fil. Albuquerque;152393 wrote:
I'm not sure I follow.

The future is not coming from total emptiness it just doesn't come before itself.

it would be like a gopher digging a tunnel. He cannot be digging ahead of the furthest point he is currently digging. "Now" is the leading edge of the tunnel that is being dug in time. The tunnel cannot be beyond its leading edge because the tunnel is free to go where it wants.....if the tunnel had been beyond the current leading edge it would imply the tunnel is not free to go elsewhere since it's already been where it's going to eventually go.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:35 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152398 wrote:
I'm not sure I follow.

The future is not coming from total emptiness it just doesn't come before itself.

it would be like a gopher digging a tunnel. He cannot be digging ahead of the furthest point he is currently digging. "Now" is the leading edge of the tunnel that is being dug in time.

Dug towards in what ???
you obviously know this is unacceptable !
Whatever is the passage of Time points to determinism...the meeting of what is already there. No need for exterior, beyond Universe, or Multiverse Space...

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 01:36 PM ----------

That would be what ? the meeting of Being with Nothingness which may not even be nothingness ?

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:39 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;152400 wrote:
Dug towards in what ???
you obviously know this is unacceptable !
Whatever is the passage of Time points to determinism...the meting of what is already there. No need for exterior, beyond Universe, or Multiverse Space...
well even if that was the case it doesn't necessarily imply determinism.....at least not for you or I.

obviously if proposition bivalence is true then you are correct in terms what of you're saying in terms of the passage of time being the meeting of what is already there and I don't deny proposition bivalence and I don't deny free will

but from the side of the argument I've been debating(not the side I hold mind you), what you say cannot be.

There could be nothing beyond this point in time.

Time would be like I'm saying, a tunnel that is being built 'now' moment by 'now' moment that has nothing beyond the leading edge.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:40 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Actually this was my first argument for Determinism when I was around 15...

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:41 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;152403 wrote:
Actually this was my first argument for Determinism when I was around 15...
proposition bivalence is a good argument for determinism IMO though it does not exclude free will obviously.....but it certainty creates problems for those who believe in free will

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:44 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152402 wrote:
well even if that was the case it doesn't necessarily imply determinism.....at least not for you or I.

obviously if proposition bivalence is true then you are correct in terms what of you're saying in terms of the passage of time being the meeting of what is already there and I don't deny proposition bivalence and I don't deny free will

but from the side of the argument I've been debating(not the side I hold mind you), what you say cannot be.

There could be nothing beyond this point in time.

Time would be like I'm saying a tunnel that is being built that had nothing at the leading edge before it was reached.

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 01:48 PM ----------

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:48 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;152405 wrote:
Worse you would still have to explain how space grows bigger then himself without a final cause and determinism !!!
isn't that what science currently says though? That the universe is literally expanding into nothing?

Obviously I see what you're getting at and I agree it's a problem for anyone who would agree with the argument I've made(not the one I hold).

With regards not to the position I've been arguing for but to the one who espouses free will AND proposition bivalence(such as myself) I'm saying that just because the future has already happened so to speak does not imply that I did not freely choose what will be chosen. It just means that what I freely chose I would always freely choose and would never freely choose the opposite.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:54 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152407 wrote:
isn't that what science currently says thought? That the universe is literally expanding into nothing?

Obviously I see what you're getting at and I agree it's a problem for anyone who would agree with the argument I've made(not the one I hold).

I'm saying that just because the future has already happened so to speak does not imply that I did not freely choose what I chose. It just means that what I freely chose I would always freely choose and would never freely choose the opposite.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:57 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152389 wrote:
you are saying well he can't tell me....I"m saying well suppose he does.....and you're saying, no, because he can't...

he can't tell me or he won't tell me?

if he can't tell me then why can't he? .

As I said, he cannot tell you because it would be false, and he cannot tell you what is false. Isn't that so? You yourself laid down that condition. So, he can tell you what you are going to do only if you are going to do it. But, since you are not going to do it, he cannot tell you that you will do it. What could be more obvious?

Of course, if you were going to do it, then he would tell you that you were going to do it. But I am supposing you will not do it. Of course, if I am wrong about that, and you do it, then he will tell you you are going to do it. And what can be more obvious than that?

I don't see the problem except that you are some how supposing that you will not do it, and he tells you that you will do it. But, according to you, that is impossible. Isn't it? Therefore the possibilities are that he does not tell you that you will do it, or else he tells you you will do it, and lies. But the second is impossible, so the first must be true.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 01:00 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;152411 wrote:
by the definition of being my desires, it's free. Regardless of what causes my desires....right?

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 02:02 PM ----------

kennethamy;152413 wrote:
As I said, he cannot tell you because it would be false, and he cannot tell you what is false. Isn't that so? You yourself laid down that condition. So, he can tell you what you are going to do only if you are going to do it. But, since you are not going to do it, he cannot tell you that you will do it. What could be more obvious?

Of course, if you were going to do it, then he would tell you that you were going to do it. But I am supposing you will not do it. Of course, if I am wrong about that, and you do it, then he will tell you you are going to do it. And what can be more obvious than that?

I don't see the problem except that you are some how supposing that you will not do it, and he tells you that you will do it. But, according to you, that is impossible. Isn't it? Therefore the possibilities are that he does not tell you that you will do it, or else he tells you you will do it, and lies. But the second is impossible, so the first must be true.
OK, so you said he can't tell me.

the only reason he CAN'T tell me is because a value does not exist absolutely prior to the happening....

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 02:03 PM ----------

gotta get ready for class I'll check back in this evening

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 01:07 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152415 wrote:
by the definition of being my desires it's free. Regardless of what causes my desires....right?

It depends on your reference for freedom value...can you, be you, without the rest of the Universe to shape you ?

In your own theistic terms, can you, be you, without God ???

God/Nature/One is free because he is all there is and ever will be...he is its own cause and oddly that freedom equals non-freedom...

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 01:11 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152415 wrote:
by the definition of being my desires, it's free. Regardless of what causes my desires....right?

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 02:02 PM ----------

OK, so you said he can't tell me.

the only reason he CAN'T tell me is because a value does not exist absolutely prior to the happening....

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 02:03 PM ----------

No, that's not the reason at all. I already gave you the reason. The reason he cannot tell you is that if you chose not to do it, then if he told you it would happen, he would be telling you what was false, and you said he cannot do that, didn't you? So, since he cannot tell you what is false, and you will not die, then how can he tell you that you will die? Answer, he cannot tell you that you will die. Because, to repeat it would be false, and he cannot tell you what is false. Nothing whatever to do with bi-valence.

I see what is the matter. When I said that he cannot tell you, I did not mean he would remain silent. I meant he could not say that you were going to die if you were not going to die. Are you asking what he would say? He would say that you were not going to die, since you would not choose to die. (I am assuming that you will not die for any other cause, of course). If you are not going to die, Z will not say that you are going to die. He will say the truth. For those are the rules, aren't they? And since I suppose you will not choose to die, and you will die only if you choose to die, he cannot say you will die. Isn't that obvious?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 01:14 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152424 wrote:
No, that's not the reason at all. I already gave you the reason. The reason he cannot tell you is that if you chose not to do it, then if he told you it would happen, he would be telling you what was false, and you said he cannot do that, didn't you? So, since he cannot tell you what is false, and you will not die, then how can he tell you that you will die? Answer, he cannot tell you that you will die. Because, to repeat it would be false, and he cannot tell you what is false. Nothing whatever to do with bi-valence.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 01:37 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;152425 wrote:
ok checking in one more time before I leave.....exactly what he's not getting.

the ONLY way a value could exists absolutely before the fact is if telling me will not make a difference

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 01:58 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152435 wrote:
ok checking in one more time before I leave.....exactly what he's not getting.

the ONLY way a value could exists absolutely before the fact is if telling me will not make a difference

Not at all. For, since you will not die because you will not choose to die, Z. will not tell you that you will die. Why would he if you are not going to die? I still don't understand the problem Maybe we are on different pages here. Tell me, exactly what does he say to you?

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 02:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152441 wrote:
Not at all. For, since you will not die because you will not choose to die, Z. will not tell you that you will die. Why would he if you are not going to die? I still don't understand the problem Maybe we are on different pages here. Tell me, exactly what does he say to you?
typing from class...lol....

there exists a proposition, A, which states, "You will die tomorrow because you choose X".

Everything Zoltar says is true. Zoltar knows ALL.

proposition bivalence states that proposition A is either true right now......or proposition A is false right now.

Zoltar knows which it is.

Let us suppose proposition A is true just for the sake...

unless you think that propositions can change from true to false then Zoltar CAN tell you and have no worry that what he says can be false...

do you see what I'm saying?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 02:59 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;152449 wrote:
typing from class...lol....

there exists a proposition, A, which states, "You will die tomorrow because you choose X".

Everything Zoltar says is true. Zoltar knows ALL.

proposition bivalence states that proposition A is either true right now......or proposition A is false right now.

Zoltar knows which it is.

Let us suppose proposition A is true just for the sake...

unless you think that propositions can change from true to false then Zoltar CAN tell you and have no worry that what he says can be false...

do you see what I'm saying?

Well, you can try to avoid it by not choosing to do it. What do you mean Zoltar knows what it it. If Zoltar speaks only the truth, and he states that, then it must be the truth. Apparently you are going to choose to die. Have you been feeling depressed lately? But I still don't see the problem.

Amperage

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;152475 wrote:
What do you mean Zoltar knows what it it.
we have presupposed that Zoltar knows all....Therefore since a truth value exists for the proposition prior to the actual event(according to proposition bivalence), he knows what the value is(true or false, 1 or the other absolutely, not both and not neither, according proposition bivalence)

kennethamy;152475 wrote:
Apparently you are going to choose to die. But I still don't see the problem.
I thought my last post pretty much spelled it out. "Apparently you are going to choose to die." I see that as a problem....maybe you don't.

This is the problem with espousing proposition bivalence....I am left to wonder why I am going to choose to die....when I know ahead of time.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 12:05:00