Ways of existing?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jeeprs

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 10:12 pm
@kennethamy,
there are true contradictions because of the limitations of thought itself. Our view of reality is necessarily extremely limited. We can usually keep ourselves within a circle of definitions and conventions, but at the edges, paradox is bound to appear.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 10:21 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;150151 wrote:
there are true contradictions because of the limitations of thought itself. Our view of reality is necessarily extremely limited. We can usually keep ourselves within a circle of definitions and conventions, but at the edges, paradox is bound to appear.

As I said, I think that the resort to the notion of true contradictions (which is, to say the least, controversial at best) is not much of a straw to grasp. I know of no true contradictions, and neither, I think, does anyone else, since the notion of a true contradiction is, itself, a contradiction.

longknowledge

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 12:18 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;150138 wrote:
I am sorry you are confused, Longknowledge. If you have any specific questions about what you have quoted, please let me know, and I will try and assist.

When I said "So much confusion" I meant on your part not mine!
The distinctions that you make on your so-called "hierarchy" betrays a prejudiced view of differences that reflect an anthropocentric view that I thought was beyond you.

Quote:
I don't know if 'being, object, thing' are used that precisely, (although I thought it was just these kinds of terms that Aristotle set out to classify in his Categories. But as I am not a scholar I had better not comment on it, at least until I have read it:bigsmile:.)

"Clarity is the courtesy of the Philosopher" - Ortega

Quote:
I can say that 'being' possesses a dimension of 'knowing' as part of its actual nature. Of myself I can say that my knowing is part of my being. I am a knowing-being. It is not as if being is one thing, and knowing another. Whereas an inanimate object is insentient and unknowing, so this is why it is called 'an object or thing' rather than 'a being'.

Then are animals, or plants for that matter, objects or things, according to your scheme?

Quote:
When you think about it, only humans are called 'beings', are they not? I mean, we don't refer to dogs and horses as 'beings' do we? I suppose 'celestial beings' and 'angels' and the like could be referred to as beings.

Where is Dasein when you need him? All these Categories are part of BEING!!!!!

Quote:
Thoughts are the activity of neurons. According to Indian philosophy 'vritti' (vibrations, thought-forms) in the citta (mind-stuff).

So which of your four "ways of being" do thouhts fall under?

Quote:
Questions - interrogative statements intended to elicit information from another person or a situation.

Hope that helps.

Nope.

:flowers:

jeeprs

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 01:43 am
@kennethamy,
What the discussion is about is whether different kinds of things exist in different ways or modes. Humans are not at the centre of this scheme, they are however distinguished from animals by being self-aware. I believe the capacity of humans for self-awareness is unique and philosophically significant, and mostly overlooked.

Animals are living beings and certainly fear death. Some animals are obviously more intelligent than others, but I don't think any are as intelligent as humans. Various people on the forum have suggested that dolphins or octopus are as intelligent as humans, but I see no reason to think that is true. This is, of course, no reason to denigrate animals or to treat them inhumanely.

The hierarchy I am referring to is represented in many traditional philosophical cosmologies. It may, for example, distinguish intelligible objects from material objects, or recognize different realms, such as the formal and the causal realms, as per this diagram. I have no particular concern whether you take it of leave it, but I don't think anything you have said is an argument against it. Of course, many people don't like such an idea. They feel we live in a material universe in which things either exist or they don't. That is their prerogative, of course. But I think materialism is hardly supported by science any more, so see no reason to adopt it as a philosophy.

wayne

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:13 am
@kennethamy,
I once lived closely with a dog for several years, he went with me most every where I went. I watched him dream, ponder a decision over whether he was capable of physicaly performing some feat. I've seen his expression when he realized he had over reached and was doomed to crash. Many, many times was I amazed at his cognizance of the world around him.

I have serious questions today about the idea that animals have no conciousness, thier concious may not be as intelligent as ours, but I feel that they do have conciousness just the same.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 03:27 am
@kennethamy,
I never said that they don't have consciousness. I have a dog too, and treat him far too much like a person. But humans are different to animals. I am just amazed by how controversial that statement seems to many people.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 03:50 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;150178 wrote:
I never said that they don't have consciousness. I have a dog too, and treat him far too much like a person. But humans are different to animals. I am just amazed by how controversial that statement seems to many people.

Dogs are aware, but whether they are self-aware is controversial. I have read a little about various experiments and studies like how dogs act when confronted with a reflection of themselves in a mirror. They seem not to understand that it is they, they are seeing, and not just another dog. It is very different with apes.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 04:10 am
@kennethamy,
There is a mirror test whereby they attach a sticky note or something to an animal and put it in front of a mirror. From memory, dogs pass the test (i.e. scratch off the sticky note.) Most of the apes do, crows do, pigeons don't.

But I am certain as I can be that none of them lie awake at night, wondering who they really are, or whether there is a life beyond this one.

---------- Post added 04-10-2010 at 08:11 PM ----------

Here is an article on it.

Cute dog.

Mirror test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wayne

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 04:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150180 wrote:
Dogs are aware, but whether they are self-aware is controversial. I have read a little about various experiments and studies like how dogs act when confronted with a reflection of themselves in a mirror. They seem not to understand that it is they, they are seeing, and not just another dog. It is very different with apes.

The reflection seems to be beyond a dog's intelligence, but I've seen the dog contemplate whether or not it felt capable of doing something requiring a certain level of physical skill, before attempting it.
Does this seem like some form of self awareness?

jeeprs

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 04:16 am
@kennethamy,
I am sure it is. I think the higher animals (dogs, elephants, cats, several others) have some self awareness in that sense. I have read that elephant tribes seem very affected by the deaths of any of their members. My personal feeling is that consciousness or awareness is kind of a continuum through the higher animals, to H Sapiens, who does, however, have that magnificent forebrain, which is definitely in a class of its own on this planet.

wayne

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 04:34 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;150185 wrote:
I am sure it is. I think the higher animals (dogs, elephants, cats, several others) have some self awareness in that sense. I have read that elephant tribes seem very affected by the deaths of any of their members. My personal feeling is that consciousness or awareness is kind of a continuum through the higher animals, to H Sapiens, who does, however, have that magnificent forebrain, which is definitely in a class of its own on this planet.

I have kept a green sunfish in a tank for several years, he knows which doorway the night crawlers come out of but doesn't discern between people. I enjoy observing on this subject, and I will always have fond memories of that big dum dog.

I think animals operate on a level of assumption ,more so than humans, whenever I come out of the kitchen the fish assumes a night crawler.

longknowledge

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 01:44 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;150171 wrote:
What the discussion is about is whether different kinds of things exist in different ways or modes. Humans are not at the centre of this scheme, they are however distinguished from animals by being self-aware. I believe the capacity of humans for self-awareness is unique and philosophically significant, and mostly overlooked.

The scheme is athropocentric in the sense that it is created by humans as a hierarchy. Radiant energy is different from plasmas, which is different from atoms, which are different from molecules, which are different from solids, liquids or gases, which are different from one-celled organisms, which are different from plants and animals. This is a sequence of different ways of existing, but the so-called "hierarchy" implies that some things are "higher" or have increasing value attached to them.

Quote:
Animals are living beings and certainly fear death. Some animals are obviously more intelligent than others, but I don't think any are as intelligent as humans. Various people on the forum have suggested that dolphins or octopus are as intelligent as humans, but I see no reason to think that is true. This is, of course, no reason to denigrate animals or to treat them inhumanely.

I thought you said that only humans are "beings."

Work with dolphins indicates that they have the capacity to reason and some have the capacity to communicate intelligently with humans and even indicate to us where we have gone astray. (See "The Porpoise Driven Life"Very Happy)

Quote:
The hierarchy I am referring to is represented in many traditional philosophical cosmologies. It may, for example, distinguish intelligible objects from material objects, or recognize different realms, such as the formal and the causal realms, as per this diagram. I have no particular concern whether you take it of leave it, but I don't think anything you have said is an argument against it. Of course, many people don't like such an idea. They feel we live in a material universe in which things either exist or they don't. That is their prerogative, of course. But I think materialism is hardly supported by science any more, so see no reason to adopt it as a philosophy.

Just because something is "tradtional" doesn't make it true, as you well know. The diagram that you referred me to is simplistic and leaves out, among other things the most important realm, philosophy, which lies, if you must, "outside," or rather "beyond" all of it.

The word "matter" has become too ambiguous to be used for anything that matters, but I do think we need to clarify and distinguish the meaning of the words "being", "existing", "object" and "thing".

In the Orteguian scheme, I "am" and my circumstance "is." These are two ways of "being". Together they form the way of "being" called "my life" or "living."

"Existing" is the form of "being" of my circumstance with respect to me, but also the form of "being" of "I" or me with respect to it. My circumstance "exists" for me and I "exist" for my circumstance. (The word exist comes from the Latin roots ex- out and sistere , a form of stare- to stand, hence to "stand out." This makes it equivalent to Ortega's word "circum-stance" which is derived from the Latin circum around and stare to stand, hence "stand around.")

"Object" is what "exists" for my consciousness when I focus on it. (The word "object" comes from the Latin roots ob- "towards" and jectare "to throw," i.e., that which is "thrown toward" us.)

"Thing" is an interpretation that I make of the "objects" of my consciousness or what is "thrown towards" me. For instance, I may have a visual experience of seeing, but I may focus my attention on different "objects" in my visual circumstance that are thrown towards me.

I may then interpret the "objects" as "things" that are separate from the rest of my visual circumstance in which they "exist."

In summary:

1. Both I and my circumstance "are" or have "being".

2. I and my circumstance "exist" with respect to each other.

3. Different parts of my circumstance may become "objects" of my consciousness by focusing my attention on them.

4. I may intrepret these objects as separate "things", but they still remain parts of my circumstance.

I hope that this clarifies our discusion so that we can proceed with determining if there are different ways of "ex-ist-ing," i.e., "standing out."

By the way, in Ortega's scheme both "being" and "existing" are gerunds.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 06:13 pm
@kennethamy,
In order to respond, I am going to have to go pretty far afield (and into the arcana of hippie metaphysics....)

Going back to the OP, Kennethamy is basically questioning the tendency of some contributors, myself amongst them, to say that things exist in different ways, or that there are different kinds of existence. He claims that a thing, number, fictional character, real character, etc, either exists or it doesn't. They are different kinds of things, but they don't exist in different ways. Either a thing exists or it doesn't exist.

So why am I saying that there are different kinds of existence, or that existence is modal? It is because I have to account for 'higher truths'. Now I don't think either modern analytical philosophy or popular opinion generally recognizes the idea of 'higher truths', and I have often quoted a Bertrand Russell passage on exactly this point ('we refuse to admit there are hidden or higher truths not available to the intellect or to science' or something similar). It is in fact an uncomfortable topic to discuss; there is a taboo on the idea in our culture. We don't have an interpretive framework within which to discuss it. Science certainly doesn't, analytic philosophy doesn't, and it is not really in the public domain (which is the subject of Alan Watts' The Book on the Taboo against Knowing Who You Are.)

Ortega, from the little I know, was working on a different area of philosophy. From my little knowledge of him, I think he is re-framing the whole subject matter of 'being in the world' in the aftermath of a deliberate and radical break from the historical or accepted manner in which this was previously understood (namely traditional metaphysics.) So he is Post-Kant and, broadly speaking, working in a similar vein to Heidegger. I don't think he would directly address the topic. If he did say anything, I think he would take a skeptical view, as you are, because 'modes of being' really is very much associated with the outmoded metaphysic which was already dismantled by modern philosophy.

I suppose, then, that in some ways I am harking back to a pre-modern metaphysic by the appeal to modes and/or levels of being. This is why I have invoked 'the Great Chain of Being'. The thing is that this idea is actually still around, in various guises. When I talk about 'traditional cosmologies' I am referring to the various forms of 'the great chain' or 'celestial hierarchy' which existed throughout pre-modern civilization. In European civilization, however, this model became completely identified with the Aristotlean and Ptolmaic cosmology, which was demolished by the Scientific Revolution. (But this maybe in large part is because the Western churches were managed by dogmatic literalists who were incapable of understanding the symbolic nature of their own tradition and who thus cemented it into a doomed cosmological model.... the great misunderstood tragedy of Western culture.....)

So I (and others) am interested in a model which accommodates other modes of existence, other levels of being, and spiritual experience. Those have had such experiences are in no doubt as to their reality. But I don't think there is much recognition of such things in science or mainstream society. At least in the remnants of Platonism and its offshoots in traditional Western philosophy, there is a discussion and awareness of modes of existence and levels of being (even in Descartes).

An abstract of Huston Smith's 'Forgotten Truth' will indicate the kind of understanding I have in mind
Quote:
There are "levels of being" such that the more real is also the more valuable; these levels appear in both the "external" and the "internal" worlds, "higher" levels of reality without corresponding to "deeper" levels of reality within. On the very lowest level is the material/physical world, which depends for its existence on the higher levels. On the very highest/deepest level is the Infinite or Absolute - that is, God.

Basically this volume is an attempt to recover this view of reality from materialism, scientism, and "postmodernism." It does not attempt to adjudicate among religions (or philosophies); it does not spell out any of the important differences between world faiths, and it is not intended to substitute a "new" religion for the specific faiths which already exist. Nor should any such project be expected from a work that expressly focuses on what religions have in common. Far from showing that all religions are somehow "the same," Smith in fact shows that religions have a "common" core only at a sufficiently general level. What he shows, therefore, is not that there is really just one religion, but that the various religions of the world are actually agreeing and disagreeing about something real, something about which there is an objective matter of fact, on the fundamentals of which most religions tend to concur while differing in numerous points of detail (including practice).

Of course any two religions therefore have much more in common than any single religion has with "materialism". In fact one way to state the "common core" of the world's religions is simply to say that they agree about the falsehood of "materialism."

kennethamy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 08:59 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;150390 wrote:
In order to respond, I am going to have to go pretty far afield (and into the arcana of hippie metaphysics....)

Going back to the OP, Kennethamy is basically questioning the tendency of some contributors, myself amongst them, to say that things exist in different ways, or that there are different kinds of existence. He claims that a thing, number, fictional character, real character, etc, either exists or it doesn't. They are different kinds of things, but they don't exist in different ways. Either a thing exists or it doesn't exist.

So why am I saying that there are different kinds of existence, or that existence is modal? It is because I have to account for 'higher truths'. Now I don't think either modern analytical philosophy or popular opinion generally recognizes the idea of 'higher truths', and I have often quoted a Bertrand Russell passage on exactly this point ('we refuse to admit there are hidden or higher truths not available to the intellect or to science' or something similar). It is in fact an uncomfortable topic to discuss; there is a taboo on the idea in our culture. We don't have an interpretive framework within which to discuss it. Science certainly doesn't, analytic philosophy doesn't, and it is not really in the public domain (which is the subject of Alan Watts' The Book on the Taboo against Knowing Who You Are.)

What reason would anyone have to believe that there are such higher truths? If it were true that there are higher truths, would that be a higher truth itself? And how could anyone know that it was true? And, finally, how would the idea that there are different kinds of existence account for higher truths, if there were any? If higher truths do exist, why would they not exist exactly as ordinary truths exist? Why would you need the notion of higher truths to account for for their existence?

It seems to me that Aquinas was right when he tells us that as soon as we say of something that is exists, but it exists in a different sense than the sense in which ordinary things exist, it immediately raises the question, "Well then, in what sense does it exist?", and when, as inevitably is the case, no clear answer is given, a doubt is raised whether it exists at all. If, for instance, unicorns exist, but exist in a different sense from the way elephants exist, then in what sense of exist do unicorns exist? The usual answer given is something like, "unicorns exist in the sense that they are ideas". But, as I have pointed out, all that means is that ideas of unicorns exist, and exist in the ordinary sense of "exist" and not that unicorns exist in a different sense from which elephants. exist. So if you tell me that higher truths exist, but exist in a different sense than ordinary truths exist, I will challenge you to tell me, "in what sense is that?" And unless you can really specify that sense, I will wonder whether higher truths exist in any sense.

longknowledge

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 09:26 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150420 wrote:
What reason would anyone have to believe that there are such higher truths? If it were true that there are higher truths, would that be a higher truth itself? And how could anyone know that it was true? And, finally, how would the idea that there are different kinds of existence account for higher truths, if there were any? If higher truths do exist, why would they not exist exactly as ordinary truths exist? Why would you need the notion of higher truths to account for for their existence?

It seems to me that Aquinas was right when he tells us that as soon as we say of something that is exists, but it exists in a different sense than the sense in which ordinary things exist, it immediately raises the question, "Well then, in what sense does it exist?", and when, as inevitably is the case, no clear answer is given, a doubt is raised whether it exists at all. If, for instance, unicorns exist, but exist in a different sense from the way elephants exist, then in what sense of exist do unicorns exist? The usual answer given is something like, "unicorns exist in the sense that they are ideas". But, as I have pointed out, all that means is that ideas of unicorns exist, and exist in the ordinary sense of "exist" and not that unicorns exist in a different sense from which elephants. exist. So if you tell me that higher truths exist, but exist in a different sense than ordinary truths exist, I will challenge you to tell me, "in what sense is that?" And unless you can really specify that sense, I will wonder whether higher truths exist in any sense.

"Higher truths" are truths that come to me when I'm "high."Laughing

Extrain

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 10:19 pm
@kennethamy,
jeeprs;150390 wrote:

Yes, that's it. All this sounds like Pirsig, Watts, or Campbell when we read your posts...But no one is required to agree with what these individuals said.

jeeprs;150390 wrote:

Ortega, from the little I know, was working on a different area of philosophy. From my little knowledge of him, I think he is re-framing the whole subject matter of 'being in the world' in the aftermath of a deliberate and radical break from the historical or accepted manner in which this was previously understood (namely traditional metaphysics.) So he is Post-Kant and, broadly speaking, working in a similar vein to Heidegger. I don't think he would directly address the topic. If he did say anything, I think he would take a skeptical view, as you are, because 'modes of being' really is very much associated with the outmoded metaphysic which was already dismantled by modern philosophy.

I suppose, then, that in some ways I am harking back to a pre-modern metaphysic by the appeal to modes and/or levels of being. This is why I have invoked 'the Great Chain of Being'. The thing is that this idea is actually still around, in various guises. When I talk about 'traditional cosmologies' I am referring to the various forms of 'the great chain' or 'celestial hierarchy' which existed throughout pre-modern civilization. In European civilization, however, this model became completely identified with the Aristotlean and Ptolmaic cosmology, which was demolished by the Scientific Revolution.

So I (and others) am interested in a model which accommodates other modes of existence, other levels of being, and spiritual experience. Those have had such experiences are in no doubt as to their reality. But I don't think there is much recognition of such things in science or mainstream society. At least in the remnants of Platonism and its offshoots in traditional Western philosophy, there is a discussion and awareness of modes of existence and levels of being (even in Descartes).

An abstract of Huston Smith's 'Forgotten Truth' will indicate the kind of understanding I have in mind

Jeeprs, again, quite honestly, this recurring distaste for Western contemporary philosophy I constantly observe in your posts is just a faulty generalization you've constructed from the books you've selectively read and the few isolated passages you've picked up from the logical positivists; and then you condemn all Contemporary Western Philosophy for fundamentally taking a wrong turn somewhere. But you know so little. I wish you would stop passing such generalizations about the entire Western Philosophical Landscape as it exists today. It's grossly illogical, uncharitable, and misinformed.

Plato, Aristotle, the Great Chain of Being, etc., etc., etc., are still all very much alive and well today in contemporary philosophy. You just can't see past analytic methodology simply because you don't understand that methodology. Plato and Aristotle haven't been abandoned; their philosophies have been expanded, articulated, developed, and enhanced. As Whitehead said, "all philosophy hitherto is just a footnote to the ancients." And that's exactly how I see it. The same debates between Platonism/Nominalism rages on today in academic circles just as they always did in the past. I don't see anything as having fundamentally changed whatsoever. The only difference is that everyone is now in the scientific age where alot of discourse in any discipline centers around the implications of scientific discovery. But we still have the exact same schools of thought of old in academia everywhere, still thriving alive and well.

As a practicing philosopher myself, it is plainly obvious to me that you simply want all philosophers to agree with the relativism and Idealism implicit in your Eastern Ideological world-view. But no one is required to agree with you! That's not a burden any practicing philosopher possesses!!

jeeprs;150390 wrote:
(But this maybe in large part is because the Western churches were managed by dogmatic literalists who were incapable of understanding the symbolic nature of their own tradition and who thus cemented it into a doomed cosmological model.... the great misunderstood tragedy of Western culture.....)

And what does this even mean?? "Western churches as dogmatic literalists"?? huh?? Which "churches?" To which of the thousands of organized religions are you referring? And in what respect are any of the generalized accusations you placed on the table true? Can you give explicit examples, or do you just prefer to stick with faulty generalizations about all thoughts and philosophies that come out of Western Culture?

---------- Post added 04-10-2010 at 10:42 PM ----------

kennethamy;150420 wrote:

It seems to me that Aquinas was right when he tells us that as soon as we say of something that is exists, but it exists in a different sense than the sense in which ordinary things exist, it immediately raises the question, "Well then, in what sense does it exist?", and when, as inevitably is the case, no clear answer is given, a doubt is raised whether it exists at all.

...and if "higher truths" really exist, it also immediately raises the question, "Well then, so which higher truths do we accept out of the myriad of "higher truths" proposed on the table"?

Jeeprs'? The Dalai Lama's? Pat Robertson's? Alan Watts'? Ghandi's? Pirsig's? Willim Burroughs'? Oprah's? Neal Donald Walsh's? Campbell's?

longknowledge

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 11:22 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;150445 wrote:
Jeeprs'? The Dalai Lama's? Pat Robertson's? Alan Watts'? Ghandi's? Pirsig's? Willim Burroughs'? Oprah's? Neal Donald Walsh's? Campbell's?

Gee. You've got everything from nuts to soup in there.

Extrain

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 11:51 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;150472 wrote:
Gee. You've got everything from nuts to soup in there.

Laughing

I guess so! But it's a pressing question, is it not? Which one? If there is some "higher truth" transcendent above how we normally grasp truth, what becomes of "truth" at all? And what does that say about how we should go about accessing it? I think Ken aptly set the stage for this dilemma.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 11:57 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;150445 wrote:
Yes, that's it. All this sounds like Pirsig, Watts, or Campbell when we read your posts...But no one is required to agree with what these individuals said

Nobody is required to agree with what I say, either. I just put my perspective. I am still at a loss to know why you find it quite so exasperating but I guess that is your problem.

Extrain;150445 wrote:
Jeeprs, again, quite honestly, this recurring distaste for Western contemporary philosophy I constantly observe in your posts is just a faulty generalization you've constructed from the books you've selectively read and the few isolated passages you've picked up from the logical positivists

Not at all. It is a distaste for the prevailing culture generally, which is consumerist, scientistic, materialistic and generally anti-spiritual. As you acknowledged in one of our previous dialogues, the overwhelming majority of academics in all kinds of disciplines are generally atheists. I am not opposed to atheism from the viewpoint of Christian evangelism. I am opposed to it because it is based on a general outlook which I regard as materialist. I know there are many individual philosophers who don't subscribe to those views, but I think that the majority do.

Extrain;150445 wrote:
Plato, Aristotle, the Great Chain of Being, etc., etc., etc., are still all very much alive and well today in contemporary philosophy.

Indeed they are, in the halls of academia and the hands of specialists who understand and expound them. But in general culture, they are entirely extinct. Modern culture, so-called, is, as Elliott observed, a wasteland.

Extrain;150445 wrote:
As a practicing philosopher myself, it is plainly obvious to me that you simply want all philosophers to agree with the relativism and Idealism implicit in your Eastern Ideological world-view. But no one is required to agree with you! That's not a burden any practicing philosopher possesses!!

Not at all. I perfectly understand and frequently acknowledge that mine is a minority viewpoint with which few persons will agree. I nevertheless try and put it forward as clearly as I can, with arguments and references, where possible.

Extrain;150445 wrote:
And what does this even mean?? "Western churches as dogmatic literalists"?? huh?? Which "churches?" To which of the thousands of organized religions are you referring? And in what respect are any of the generalized accusations you placed on the table true? Can you give explicit examples, or do you just prefer to stick with faulty generalizations about all thoughts and philosophies that come out of Western Culture?

Actually, I was thinking of Trial of Galileo for heresy, and his subsequent house arrest and forced recantation of those elements of his discoveries that were thought to be in contradiction of Holy Writ. It is a fact that an apology of sorts was only offered for this by Pope John Paul II in the early 80's (I think it was). I do understand that the circumstances surrounding the issue are considerably more nuanced than many will allow. But I believe that at the time of the original Council of Nicea and the formation of the early Church, many 'sapiential' elements in early Christianity were suppressed along with Gnosticism, and a literalist interpretation of Scripture adopted, among many other things which has had disastrous consequences for the development of religious doctrine in the West. (See, e.g., When Jesus became God, Richard E Rubinstein.) In any case, it is indisputable that the construction of religion in the western world has led to a divorce of science and religion, whether you like it or not. This is not my invention. Something is seriously amiss in Western culture in this whole area. In fact I don't understand what you are defending, and what you think I am criticizing.

Extrain;150445 wrote:
and if "higher truths" really exist, it also immediately raises the question, "Well then, so which higher truths do we accept out of the myriad of "higher truths" proposed on the table"?

That is a good question.It is a question that should be asked, and all I am really doing is encouraging people to ask that question. There is not a myriad. There are many schools, and nowadays quite a few people trying to develop businesses in the area, but if you study the field, there are some standouts and well established traditions, across a wide range of cultures. I am not pushing any particular school, but have already declared my allegiance with Mahayana Buddhism.

As for which ones....

Jeeprs'? I am just a student but am always happy to discuss

The Dalai Lama's? He is a good starting point, and has written many interesting books. I think that he is probably the most credible public religious figure on the world stage today and the kind of teaching he represents has the most potential for reconciliation with the scientific outlook on life.

Pat Robertson's? He is a christian conservative, isn't he? Dangerous guy, I think. I don't generally like any of the evengelicals or protestant intellectuals. They all claim to have a monopoly on truth.

Alan Watts'? One of my favorites, but he never practiced what he preached, which always disappointed me. But he was a great writer in this field. I still think Beyond Theology, The Supreme Identity, Behold the Spirit, and the Way of Zen haven't been bettered.

I know there are various pop philosophers who mine all of this for money, there are crooked gurus who exploit for all kinds of reasons and ample scope for delusion. But there would be no fools gold, were there not real gold.

---------- Post added 04-11-2010 at 04:13 PM ----------

kennethamy;150420 wrote:
It seems to me that Aquinas was right when he tells us that as soon as we say of something that is exists, but it exists in a different sense than the sense in which ordinary things exist, it immediately raises the question, "Well then, in what sense does it exist?"

I would be most obliged if you could supply a reference for that. I have been looking at the online version of Summae, although I will freely admit I am not qualified to even comment on it, never having been instructed in it. But I am on safe ground saying that Thomas certainly believed in 'incorporeal beings' such as God, and angels.

Tell me how 'the existence of God' could be regarded as the same kind of thing as 'the existence of creatures', if God exists everywhere, at all times, and is not embodied? The same can be said for angels. Their 'manner of existence' surely must be radically different from that which Thomas would call 'corporeal entities', would it not?

Now analytic and modern philosophy will not try and address this question, as far as I know. Many modern philosophers will assert that God does not exist or will say that whether God exists or not is a matter of faith, not of philosophy. But if there is a modern philosophical consideration of the nature of the existence of deity or angels I would be interested to read it.

longknowledge

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 12:49 am
@jeeprs,
How many ways can fit on the head of existence?

Sorry, I should have said "dance" instead of "fit"!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:35:20