Ways of existing?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:17 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;145547 wrote:
I don't know, but it is one of the things that brought me to the Philosophy Forum. For some reason, I noticed that the lawful manner in which things exist, is something separate from the multitude of existing things. Then it occurred to me, that this is something very much like Pythagorism.

I think Aristotle made a mistake with his notion of 'substance'. What you are saying about something either existing, or not existing, is quite true of any thing. A thing either exists, or it doesn't. But the nature of relationships between things is a different matter again. You can say a relationship exists, but really 'the relationship' is not an existing thing. It is not so much a thing, as the way in which things are related to each other. The way in which they are related has to do with ratio, and hence 'rationality'. This is what the Pythagorean insight was all about. It wasn't to do with 'stuff' or 'substance' or 'things', but the way in which everything was related through patterns and ratios.

Now this is another way of looking at the relationship between 'reality and appearance'. Of course, to the untutored eye, we see a vast array of things. But Pythagoras saw a vast set of numerical relations, which he called Kosmos. When seen this way, a lot of the mystification of metaphysics is due to the fact that Aristotle reified these relationships into the idea of 'substance'. I don't think either Pythagoras or Plato would have agreed with the idea of substance.

I was only making the point that just as when we talk about different kinds of animals we are supposing that the term "animal" means something unitary so, if we talk of different ways of existing we must be supposing that "existence" means something unitary. Otherwise, how could the different ways of existing be different ways of existing, and not something else?

jack phil

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 01:33 pm
@kennethamy,
Kennethamy,

But has not the assumption that the 'beautiful' was something unitary a great cause of confusion among early philosophers? How can we be sure that a term like 'existence' is not another word in which philosophers find themselves in a muddle?

See my thread: "on the beautiful and meaningless" (I think that is its title)

But you said 'chairs exist and unicorns do not' means something. But I cannot see how it means anything other than a tautology. If I say 'Socratussels do not exist' you would probably agree with me, even without the help of a dictionary. If I say 'Socratussels do exist' you might look at me funny, possible check that encyclopedia or whatnot, and be positively certain that I was a loony.

I only brought up this example (the Socratussel) to show that the characteristics of the supposed variable (a unicorn or Socratussel) are irrelevant to decoding the truth or falsity in the statement.

The interplay of empiricism, of checking the dictionary or whatnot, while arguably fruitful in the case of the unicorn is unnecessary in the case of the Socratussel. It seems that these propositions are not experiential but mathematical. Calling them tautological or contradictory requires no expertise in the field of anthropology.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 01:49 pm
@jack phil,
jack;145712 wrote:
Kennethamy,

But has not the assumption that the 'beautiful' was something unitary a great cause of confusion among early philosophers? How can we be sure that a term like 'existence' is not another word in which philosophers find themselves in a muddle?

But you said 'chairs exist and unicorns do not' means something. But I cannot see how it means anything other than a tautology. If I say 'Socratussels do not exist' you would probably agree with me, even without the help of a dictionary. If I say 'Socratussels do exist' you might look at me funny, possible check that encyclopedia or whatnot, and be positively certain that I was a loony.

I only brought up this example (the Socratussel) to show that the characteristics of the supposed variable (a unicorn or Socratussel) are irrelevant to decoding the truth or falsity in the statement.

The interplay of empiricism, of checking the dictionary or whatnot, while arguably fruitful in the case of the unicorn is unnecessary in the case of the Socratussel. It seems that these propositions are not experiential but mathematical. Calling them tautological or contradictory requires no expertise in the field of anthropology.

I don't know that the meaning of "beautiful" is not unitary, but supposing it is not, that doesn't mean that the the meaning of existence is not unitary, does it. That an error was make in one case (it it was) does not mean that it was made in the other case. Each case has to be taken separately.

It certainly is not a tautology that chairs exist, but unicorns do not. If it were a tautology then its negation would be a contradiction, but its negation is not a contradiction. Both chairs and unicorn might exist. They don't.

longknowledge

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 10:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;145720 wrote:
I don't know that the meaning of "beautiful" is not unitary, but supposing it is not, that doesn't mean that the the meaning of existence is not unitary, does it. That an error was make in one case (it it was) does not mean that it was made in the other case. Each case has to be taken separately.

It certainly is not a tautology that chairs exist, but unicorns do not. If it were a tautology then its negation would be a contradiction, but its negation is not a contradiction. Both chairs and unicorn might exist. They don't.

One "way" that unicorns "exist" is as ideas. They can also "exist" as images in paintings. (My daughter used to have a whole slew of them.)

These are many different ways of "existing," including: sensations, feelings, illusions, mirages, hallucinations, dreams, sculptures, fictional characters, poetical allusions, mathematical equations, physical models, and even propositions (e.g., "Unicorns exist").

"Let me count the ways . . ." indeed!

:flowers:

north

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:09 pm
@longknowledge,
the ways of existing , in the end is two ways

physically and spritually

longknowledge

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:40 pm
@jack phil,
jack;145712 wrote:
Kennethamy,

[CENTER]Tussel [/CENTER]

The term "tussel" was introduced in D. Clark, J. Wroclawski, K. Sollins, B. Braden: "Tussle in Cyberspace: Defining Tomorrow's Internet", in IEEE/ACM TRANSACTIONS ON NETWORKING, VOL. 13, NO. 3, JUNE 2005

Different stakeholders that are part of the Internet milieu have interests that may be adverse to each other, and these parties each vie to favor their particular interests.

These tussels are reflected during the design, re-design, configuration and also during run-time.

Protocol design gets more complicated since tussels are not resolved during design time in standards organizations alone anymore.

We are currently seeing these ongoing tussels causing protocol re-design, both for mobility protocols as well as in security.

[CENTER]Socratussel - The Classical Tussel[/CENTER]

Existence typically denied (at least initially). Clean architecture vs. nasty reality.

Middlebox traversal got considered to some extent.

Triangular routing requires packets sent to the CN to use a source address that is not topologically correct.

See also "Defeating Denial of Service Attacks which employ IP Source Address Spoofing"

jeeprs

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:46 pm
@jack phil,
jack;145712 wrote:
But has not the assumption that the 'beautiful' was something unitary a great cause of confusion among early philosophers?

Are you referring to the existence (which is disputed) of universals?

north

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;140746 wrote:
How do you exist? Let me count the ways. (Apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning).

Many posters tell us that this or that exists in a different way from something else. Thoughts exists in a different way from material objects; unicorns exist in a different way from horses, and so on. Sometimes they explain this by using the locution, "exist as". For example, they say that unicorns "exist as" ideas, or "exist as" concepts. The question about this particular locution is whether it means anything more that that, for instance, that the concept or the idea of the unicorn exists (but that unicorns do not exist)? In other words, "X exists as a Y" just means that the Y of X exists.

The question I want to ask is whether it makes sense to talk of "ways of existing", and, if it does, what does it mean to talk that way. What I think is that there is only one way to exist, namely, to exist, so that it makes no sense to talk of different ways of existing. I also think that when someone says that this or that exists in this or that way, what he is really saying is that this or that does not exist, but maybe that something else does exist, usually the idea, or the concept, of this or that. It is a way of saying both that something does not exist, but that it does exist (but in a funny way). Which is, nonsense.

the only thing that has true existence to it , is an object that has a three dimensional existence to it

longknowledge

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:03 pm
@north,
north;146518 wrote:
the only thing that has true existence to it , is an object that has a three dimensional existence to it

That wouldn't be "true" even if you were talking only about so-called "physical" objects. You forgot about the fourth dimension: Time, or more precisely, Duration.

And what about light and other radiation phenomena? How many dimensions do they have, since they "exist" as both particles and waves?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:08 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;146499 wrote:
One "way" that unicorns "exist" is as ideas. They can also "exist" as images in paintings. (My daughter used to have a whole slew of them.)

These are many different ways of "existing," including: sensations, feelings, illusions, mirages, hallucinations, dreams, sculptures, fictional characters, poetical allusions, mathematical equations, physical models, and even propositions (e.g., "Unicorns exist").

"Let me count the ways . . ." indeed!

Unicorn cannot exist as paintings. Painting of unicorns exist. But let me remind you that paintings of unicorns are not unicorns. If unicorns existed, then they would be a sort of animal. But paintings of unicorns are not (let me remind you) animals. When I point to a painting of a unicorn and I say, "that is a unicorn", I am saying, "that is a painting of a unicorn", not there is a mythical animal.

longknowledge

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 07:22 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;146881 wrote:
Unicorn [SIC] cannot exist as paintings.

I said "as images in paintings"! The painting could be about more than unicorns.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 02:28 am
@longknowledge,
Well, we managed to grow hybrid corns; would that qualify as uni-corn?

Pepijn Sweep
Sailor & Whaler

jeeprs

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 04:47 pm
@kennethamy,
OK I think I have worked out a meaningful distinction between ways of existing.

First, I will suggest that 'ways of existing' and 'ways of being' are synonymous for the purposes of this discussion. Each of the four following groups are layers in a hierarchy, that is, the higher level includes all the attributes of the lower one, but has additional attributes the lower does not have.

1. Matter is passive and does not change except as a result of impact or chemical reaction.
  2. Vegetables or plants are passive, but they grow, heal and breed.
  3. Animals (insects, amoeba, mammals, etc) grow, heal, breed, and are capable of action.
  4. Humans grow, heal, breed, act, are capable of abstract reasoning and are capable of self-analysis.

Conversely, no animal is capable of abstract reasoning; no plant is capable of independent action; no matter is capable of growth and reproduction.

So in each of these types of beings, attributes of existence become manifest which are previously undisclosed. Material objects don't display any of the unique characteristics of human beings, including ability to breed, grow, learn, act, think, and so on. So the type of existence or type of being which they exemplify is completely different to that of a human being. A thing is not the same as a being. Surely this is a fundamental distinction.

On a related note, many people seem to believe that animals and humans are mechanical devices or that nature is mechanistic. However machines and organisms are fundamentally different. Machines do not grow, heal, or reproduce. They are not agents. This too seems a fundamental distinction to me.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:18 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;146945 wrote:
I said "as images in paintings"! The painting could be about more than unicorns.

Yes, indeed. However, images in painting are not what the images are images of. And paintings of uniicorns are not unicorns.

---------- Post added 04-09-2010 at 07:21 PM ----------

jeeprs;150064 wrote:

First, I will suggest that 'ways of existing' and 'ways of being' are synonymous for the purposes of this discussion. Each of the four following groups are layers in a hierarchy, that is, the higher level includes all the attributes of the lower one, but has additional attributes the lower does not have.

1. Matter is passive and does not change except as a result of impact or chemical reaction.
  3. Animals (insects, amoeba, mammals, etc) grow, heal, breed, and are capable of action.
  4. Humans grow, heal, breed, act, are capable of abstract reasoning and are capable of self-analysis.

Conversely, no animal is capable of abstract reasoning; no plant is capable of independent action; no matter is capable of growth and reproduction.

So in each of these types of beings, attributes of existence become manifest which are previously undisclosed. Material objects don't display any of the unique characteristics of human beings, including ability to breed, grow, learn, act, think, and so on. So the type of existence or type of being which they exemplify is completely different to that of a human being. A thing is not the same as a being. Surely this is a fundamental distinction.

On a related note, many people seem to believe that animals and humans are mechanical devices or that nature is mechanistic. However machines and organisms are fundamentally different. Machines do not grow, heal, or reproduce. They are not agents. This too seems a fundamental distinction to me.

But why are these different ways of existing rather than different kinds of things all of which exist in the same way?

jeeprs

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:13 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;150074 wrote:
But why are these different ways of existing rather than different kinds of things all of which exist in the same way?
Because the nature of human existence and the nature of the existence of material objects are clearly distinguishable as classes. The former 'type of being' has self-awareness, rationality, is an agent. The latter has none of these things which, again, is why a being is different to a thing.

Every particular thing, concept, number, and so on, is distinguishable from every other thing. The fact that they are all distinguishable is not philosophically significant, is it? What is significant is the different ways in which things can exist, and what that discloses about the 'nature of being'. It seems to me a completely monochromatic analysis, to say that something either exists, or it does not exist. There are so many shades of meaning in the verb 'to be' that to say it has a kind of binary, yes/no seems to have very little value in the context of philosophy. In fact you could argue that just as possession is 9/10ths of the law, 'the nature of being' is 9/10s of philosophy.

Looking back on this thread, though, this has already been discussed and the reply already given that 'a thing either exists or it doesn't'. I don't think this is strictly true, because the existence of anything is not absolute. Any object you care to indicate, is reducible to some aggregate of components, and then particles, and ultimately to energy (so we are told). A table exists in a conventional sense, but it is not really a table, any more than it is really a collection of 5 pieces of material conjoined in a specific way. It exists in a common-sense way, it is not simply an illusion but its existence is not absolute.

So far as I am concerned, there is a real distinction between the modes of existence of objects, plants, animals and humans, (to mention only a few classes) and simply to dismiss these differences does not constitute an argument, as far as I can see.

What is the point of this argument, anyway? From the viewpoint of the perennial philosophy, which is the school that interests me, insofar as we conceive of ourselves as, and exist as, material beings, we misconstrue the nature of our existence and mistake ourselves for something we are not.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:25 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;150108 wrote:
Because the nature of human existence and the nature of the existence of material objects are clearly distinguishable as classes. The former 'type of being' has self-awareness, rationality, is an agent. The latter has none of these things which, again, is why a being is different to a thing.

Every particular thing, concept, number, and so on, is distinguishable from every other thing. The fact that they are all distinguishable is not philosophically significant, is it? What is significant is the different ways in which things can exist, and what that discloses about the 'nature of being'. It seems to me a completely monochromatic analysis, to say that something either exists, or it does not exist. There are so many shades of meaning in the verb 'to be' that to say it has a kind of binary, yes/no seems to have very little value in the context of philosophy. In fact you could argue that just as possession is 9/10ths of the law, 'the nature of being' is 9/10s of philosophy.

Looking back on this thread, though, this has already been discussed and the reply already given that 'a thing either exists or it doesn't'. I don't think this is strictly true, because the existence of anything is not absolute. Any object you care to indicate, is reducible to some aggregate of components, and then particles, and ultimately to energy (so we are told). A table exists in a conventional sense, but it is not really a table, any more than it is really a collection of 5 pieces of material conjoined in a specific way. It exists in a common-sense way, it is not simply an illusion but its existence is not absolute.

So far as I am concerned, there is a real distinction between the modes of existence of objects, plants, animals and humans, (to mention only a few classes) and simply to dismiss these differences does not constitute an argument, as far as I can see.

What is the point of this argument, anyway? From the viewpoint of the perennial philosophy, which is the school that interests me, insofar as we conceive of ourselves as, and exist as, material beings, we misconstrue the nature of our existence and mistake ourselves for something we are not.

The point of the argument is to get things right (straight). I am not dismissing the differences you cite. I am saying only that there is no reason to think that these are differences in modes of existing rather than differences among things that all exist in the same mode. What does it mean to say that something's existence is not absolute? That it is not true that it either exists or does not exist? But, in that case, it would be true either that: 1. it both exists and does not exist, or, 2. it neither exists, nor does not exist. I don't think that either 1 nor 2 makes any sense. But perhaps you do. Which of them makes sense, do you think? (You have to consider what it is you are saying when you say that something does not exist nor does not exist).

jeeprs

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:07 pm
@kennethamy,
I believe that there is a type of logic called dialetheism, which asserts that there are true contradictions. I have not studied it yet. However I think there is a sense in which things both do and do not exist. But I don't want to argue that case because I need to do more study.

I do feel confident however that starting with the distinction between various types of being from material up to human, there is no reason to think that the heirarchy stops at that point. After all, every civilization apart from modern secular culture recognizes transcendent or non-material realities of various types. Modern secular culture has a religious commitment to naturalism, which rules that out. Hence the flatland of secularism and the view that things either exist or they don't. But don't take it personally, I am not arguing with you, I am arguing with modernity itself.

longknowledge

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:21 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;150064 wrote:

So much confusion here!

What about light and other forms of radiant energy?

What about volcanos and sliding tectonic plates?

What about tree roots that cause breaks in sidewalks?

What about monkeys who use rocks to open coconuts?

What is the difference between beings, objects and things?

Are thoughts beings? objects? things?

And, what about questions?

jeeprs

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:58 pm
@kennethamy,
I am sorry you are confused, Longknowledge. If you have any specific questions about what you have quoted, please let me know, and I will try and assist.

---------- Post added 04-10-2010 at 01:25 PM ----------

longknowledge;150135 wrote:
What about light and other forms of radiant energy?

Haven't got anything to say about these here.

What about volcanos and sliding tectonic plates?

What about them?

What about tree roots that cause breaks in sidewalks?

What about monkeys who use rocks to open coconuts?

What is the difference between beings, objects and things?

Odd collection of images. I don't know if 'being, object, thing' are used that precisely, (although I thought it was just these kinds of terms that Aristotle set out to classify in his Categories. But as I am not a scholar I had better not comment on it, at least until I have read it:bigsmile:.)

I can say that 'being' possesses a dimension of 'knowing' as part of its actual nature. Of myself I can say that my knowing is part of my being. I am a knowing-being. It is not as if being is one thing, and knowing another. Whereas an inanimate object is insentient and unknowing, so this is why it is called 'an object or thing' rather than 'a being'.

When you think about it, only humans are called 'beings', are they not? I mean, we don't refer to dogs and horses as 'beings' do we? I suppose 'celestial beings' and 'angels' and the like could be referred to as beings.

Are thoughts beings? objects? things?

And, what about questions?

Thoughts are the activity of neurons. According to Indian philosophy 'vritti' (vibrations, thought-forms) in the citta (mind-stuff).

Questions - interrogative statements intended to elicit information from another person or a situation.

Hope that helps.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 09:50 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;150133 wrote:
I believe that there is a type of logic called dialetheism, which asserts that there are true contradictions. I have not studied it yet. However I think there is a sense in which things both do and do not exist. But I don't want to argue that case because I need to do more study.

I do feel confident however that starting with the distinction between various types of being from material up to human, there is no reason to think that the heirarchy stops at that point. After all, every civilization apart from modern secular culture recognizes transcendent or non-material realities of various types. Modern secular culture has a religious commitment to naturalism, which rules that out. Hence the flatland of secularism and the view that things either exist or they don't. But don't take it personally, I am not arguing with you, I am arguing with modernity itself.

I think that if in order to maintain your view you have to hold that there are true contradictions, you ought to think about your position again. Like the little Dutch boy and the dike, there will be soon too many holes for your fingers to plug up.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:42:20