Berkeley's Treatise and Dialogues As It Is

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Humanity

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:54 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143875 wrote:
haha! What "accuracy"? You're a Berkelian Bible-thumper.
I find this to be very stupid remark.
Hey, we are not doing theology here.
Are you saying, in philosophy we should not make reference to
the direct sources.

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:04 am
@Humanity,
Humanity;143884 wrote:
I am not interested in your strawman and distorted argument at all.

This is the 11th time you have made this false accusation. Just dismissing things you don't want to hear makes you lazy, intellectually dishonest, and completely incompetent.

[QUOTE=Humanity;143884]The question between the Materialists and me is not, whether things have a REAL existence out of the mind of this or that person, but whether they have an ABSOLUTE existence, distinct from being perceived by God, and exterior to all minds.[/quote][QUOTE=Humanity;143884]
Disregarding god, Materialists throughout the ages had claimed that matter exists and that they have an absolute existence distinct from being perceived and exterior to all minds. Do you agree to the above contention? QED [/QUOTE]

Just so you know, "Q.E.D" is an acronym for the latin "quod erat demonstrandum," which means "that which was intended to be demonstrated".

And you haven't demonstrated anything.

Wait a minute: According to this passage you can't disregard what Berkeley says,

He says that matter doesn't have any Absolute existence independent of God. And I agree with that. But I don't think God sustains the existence Matter because Matter is an Idea in the mind of God. I think matter is material, not immaterial. God's own being sustains the existence of all things, material and immaterial alike, but not because all things are ideas. Some things are ideas, some things are material entities.

You and Berkeley's formulation of "Matter" is incredibly simple minded. But ignoring God, yes, Material rocks exist independently of all minds because material rocks are not Ideas.

However, I don't really know what "absolute existence" means at all with respect to God. So you will have to qualify that.

Now that you asked me, what's your point and where's your argument?

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 04:21 AM ----------

[QUOTE=Humanity;143899] I find this to be very stupid remark.[/QUOTE]

It's a stupid remark because it's true. You're the only unthinking Berkelian fanatic here unwilling to step outside doctrines you are all-too-happy to take at face-value without question.

[QUOTE=Humanity;143899] Are you saying, in philosophy we should not make reference to the direct sources.[/QUOTE]

No, I am saying you need to interact with those sources you quote like everyone else has been doing instead of just assuming everything Berkeley says is infallibly correct.

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 04:52 AM ----------

[QUOTE=jeeprs;143886]Yes I am. What you said was something different to that. It was not about sensations. It was that objects are directly given to us together with the spontaneous activity of mind. I would be be obliged if you could provide a reference for that, in particular. You know Kant a lot better than I do, and I can't recall a statement like that from what I know. It doesn't strike me as anything that Kant would say, but I am willing to stand corrected.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that it's just not that easy to give a simple and straight answer partially due to the fact that Kant's own complex writings can be difficult to articulate to untrained ears, and also because of the nature of the Transcendental subject which no philosophers before him had dealt with.

Put it this way, roughly. Kant would say something like, Empirical content must come directly from the outside world because the formal a priori cognitive structure of the mind can only give to experience form and function, but it is completely incapable of offering any content of its own. So no actual a priori mental content mediates between the information that comes directly from the senses and the spontaneous activity of the mind which then articulates and structures that empirical content in order to make it available to the understanding for the faculty of judgment.
So direct realism with respect to empirical content right away just falls right out of Kant's account.

So one might say that the emprical content is temporally and spatially prior to the faculties of judgment and understanding. But the a priori formal intuitions of space and time, along with the a priori logical contributions provided by the understanding is logically prior to the empirical content that gets structured and articulated.

All this happens "automatically," one might say. So it is not always a deliberate process, and most often it is not. But there are gaps in Kant's already thorough account of how all this happens. For instance, Kant has a problem with what is called "rogue objects"--that part of empirical content that doesn't seem to be structured by the faculty of understanding, but is merely conditioned by the intutions of space and time. An example of this would be like when you lay on your back in the park and stare off into the deep blue sky without any clouds or frame of reference to make any judgments. All you see is unarticulated blueness. But there are no visible "things," no properties to predicate of things, no relations, no contingency, no necessity, no ability to pass any judgments other than perhaps a self-introspective judgment such as,

"I see blue."

But barring literary references to any imaginary creations, in the ideal case that I am talking about here, no one would be capable of making any intelligible judgments at all about the blueness that one sees. One can't even point and say, "that is blue" because there is no "that" that is presented in your visual field.

But that's a very simple way of putting it in a nutshell.

Here's part of the Intro Kant's Transcendental Aesthetic.

"In whatsoever mode, or by whatsoever means, our knowledge may relate to objects, it is a least quite clear, that the only manner in which it immediately relates to them, is by means of intution [sensation]. To this as the indispensable groundwork, all thought points. But an intution can take place only in so far as the object is given to us. This, again, is only possible, to man at least, on condition that the object affect the mind in a certain manner. The capacity for reciving representations (receptivity) athough the mode in which we are affected by objects, is called sensibility. By means of sensibility, therefore, objects are given to us, and it alone furnishes us with intutiions; by the understanding they are thought, and from it arise conceptions. But all this must directly, or indirectly, by means of certain signs, relate ultimately to intiutions; consequently, with us, to ability, because in no other way can an object be given to us.

The undertermined object of an emperical intution, is called phenomenon. That which in the phenomenon corresponds to the sensation I term its matter; but that which affects that the content of the phenomenon can be arranged under certain relations I call its form. But that in which our sensations are merely arranged, and by which they are susceptible of assuming a certain form, cannot be itself sensation. It is, then, the matter of all phenomena that is given to us a posteriori; the form must lie ready a priori for them in the mind and consequently can be regarded separately from all sensation."

jeeprs

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:44 am
@Humanity,
Thanks very much, very well put. I am going through Paul Guyer's Kant at the moment, and might actually try and tackle the great work itself soon.

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 10:54 PM ----------

I think there is plenty of scope in Kant's philosophy for many different interpretations, but it gives pretty short shrift to naive realism, in my view.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:56 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143821 wrote:
Berkeley's contention against the primary and secondary qualities distinction and Lockean Substance as "an object existing distinct from these perceptible qualities but I know not what" is just ONE of Berkeley's problem with materialism in his texts.

Berkeley considers a long series of arguments concerning different sensible qualities, including the so-called "primary" ones. In each case, Hylas is forced to admit that no object existing outside the mind could have both a pair of seemingly incompatible properties (hot and cold, sweet and sour, large and small, swift and slowly). The conclusion is that sensible qualities exist only as ideas in the mind of the perceiver.

From this, Berkeley thinks it follows that there is no material substance outside one's perception of it--or rather that we have no intelligible concept of any material substance existing outside the mind. The reason is that if we abstract from all the sensible qualities, there is nothing left to discuss or consider. So there is no positive Idea of Material Substance.

But wait a minute:

How does Berkeley go from:

(a) We have no intelligible concept of any material substance existing outside the mind.

to

(b) Therefore, No Material Substance can exist outside the mind?

Even if (a) were true (which I don't think it is), and precisely BECAUSE (a) were true, Berkeley CANNOT infer that Material Substance existing independently of the mind doesn't exist. After all, Berkeley doesn't even have the concept of Material Substance, right? So He is inferring from an epistemological premise to a metaphysical conclusion about which Berkeley knows nothing of.

To be consistent with what (a) actually says, how do we even know that (b) is true? We can't know (b) is true, precisely BECAUSE (a) is true. So the inference from (a) to (b) is Berkeley's own way of being totally inconsistent with his very own view. Bad news for Berkeley! He is doing the exact same thing he is accusing his interlocutors of doing, namely, going beyond the bounds of possible experience and asserting a metaphysical thesis about metaphysical states of affairs. It simply doesn't matter what you assert if (a) is true--that Material Substance Exists, or that Material Substance does not Exist: either way, you are going to be caught being inconsistent with Berkeley's own premise (a) since then one would be using the complete linguistically meaningless concept "Material Substance" in one's talk in order to draw a conclusion about the ontological status of all Material Substance. Nice try, no cigar, Berkeley.

I've always found this blatantly and obviously inconsistent for Berkeley to be drawing metaphysical conclusions like these altogether. No wonder Kant thought Berkeley's Idealism is absurd--Berkeley is committing what Kant called the Dialectical Error for which Kant devotes the Latter Half of the Critique in discussing.

So Berkeley's contention, here, is just part of his CORE and CENTRAL argument--what I consider Berkeley's MASTER ARGUMENT--that crops up everywhere in his Dialogues. It looks exactly like this:

(1) You can't perceive any sensible thing without perceiving it.

Berkeley repeatedly says that to suppose otherwise is to be involved in a contradiction. And Berkeley is correct because (1) is necessarily true. But then Berkeley invalidly infers,

(2) Therefore, sensible things cannot exist unperceived.

He constantly goes from,

(A) I cannot perceive that object X exists without at the same time being in a position to perceive that it does,

to

(B) Object X exists only insofar as I perceive that it does.

This inference is INVALID.

Berkeley's arguments work if and only if

(I) the act of perceiving an object just is the object of perception,

in other words,

(I) act of perceiving X=X that is perceived.

But this alleged idenity statement is dubious, not to mention completely unargued for in Berkeley's Dialogues. Philonous agrees with Hylas throughout that it is "common sense" to think that sensible things really exist and are immediately perceived. But then he draws the conclusion from several very poor arguments that sensible things are wholly mind-dependent since, according to Berkeley's implausible view, the sensation of an object just is the object sensed.

But this just amounts to wholescale rejection of the sensation/object distinction without offering any arguments for telling us why collapsing this distinction is plausible in the first place. And each of his arguments relies on doing just this.

So all we have to do is disagree with Berkeley, and the argument is OVER.

You might not know about David Stove's prize-winner for, The Worst Argument in the World (which, of course, stems from Berkeley, and is germane here). In case you don't, though:

Stove's discovery of the worst argument in the world

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:56 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;143914 wrote:
Thanks very much, very well put. I am going through Paul Guyer's Kant at the moment, and might actually try and tackle the great work itself soon.

You are welcome.

whew! It's definitely a project.Very Happy

I will get lost sometimes even though I've been studying it for years.

It has to be one of the greatest philosophical classics, for sure.

If you're reading Paul Guyer, definitely check out Robert Hanna, who is also a well-known Kant scholar--he's also my professor. Hanna has an entry titled "Kant's Theory of Judgment" in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy Online which deals with this central core aspect of the Critique. I think it provides a thoroughly in depth introduction to this part of Kant's work which is so essential for understanding anything else about Kant.

Kant's Theory of Judgment (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 06:05 AM ----------

kennethamy;143919 wrote:
You might not know about David Stove's prize-winner for, The Worst Argument in the World (which, of course, stems from Berkeley, and is germane here). In case you don't, though:

haha! No, I didn't know about that at all. Thank You. Truly, you just made my day. Very Happy

Now if only Humanity would take the time to read it.

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 06:16 AM ----------

jeeprs;143914 wrote:
I think there is plenty of scope in Kant's philosophy for many different interpretations, but it gives pretty short shrift to naive realism, in my view.

But I wouldn't be so quick to say Kantian realism is a kind of "naive realism" anyway. Attributing this view to Kant might very well be naive in itself.Smile

Humanity

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:23 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;143919 wrote:

I have gone through this many times.
It is just another strawman

jeeprs

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:29 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143921 wrote:
]
But I wouldn't be so quick to say Kantian realism is a kind of "naive realism" anyway. Attributing this view to Kant is naive in itself.

What I meant, he is NOT a naive realist (i.e. 'gives it short shrift'). In fact, it would be a big mistake to regard Kant as naive in any respect.

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:31 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;143929 wrote:
What I meant, he is NOT a naive realist (i.e. 'gives it short shrift'). In fact, it would be a big mistake to regard Kant as naive in any respect.

oops. My apologies.Smile

Humanity

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:32 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143900 wrote:
However, I don't really know what "absolute existence" means at all with respect to God. So you will have to qualify that.
It is explained in Dialogue a few times.
Perhaps you should read it again.
If you had not understood such a term, what sort of credibility
do you have to critique Berkerley.
Most of your points are a distortion of Berkeley's view.
If you paraphrase or summarise Berkeley's ideas you should at least provide a reference to the original para.

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 07:39 AM ----------

Extrain;143921 wrote:
haha! No, I didn't know about that at all. Thank You. Truly, you just made my day. Very Happy
Now if only Humanity would take the time to read it.
Hahaha! Stove viewed Kant like sh_t.
He's one sick and psycho guy.

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 06:40 am
@Humanity,
Humanity;143928 wrote:
I have gone through this many times.
It is just another strawman

haha! you accuse the everyone of misunderstanding Berkeley, inluding David Stove--everyone except yourself. But you won't tell us why you think this as if you possess some secret mystical knowledge you can't convey to us simple-minded folk.

So let's all just resign because you're a genius, Berkeley is infallible, and his Idealism unfalsfiable.:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 07:00 AM ----------

Humanity;143931 wrote:
It is explained in Dialogue a few times.
Perhaps you should read it again.
If you had not understood such a term, what sort of credibility
do you have to critique Berkerley.

So why don't you tell us! Don't leave everyone in suspense!
Apparently, YOU"RE the expert on Berkeley here! Don't just say that and then back out of your responsiblities as a member of this forum....please, do us all a favor and acquire a little sense here...

You are certainly the most dishonest person I've discovered yet on this forum.

Humanity;143931 wrote:
Most of your points are a distortion of Berkeley's view.

12th uproven accusation. Haven't you made yourself look stupid enough times now?

Humanity;143931 wrote:
If you paraphrase or summarise Berkeley's ideas you should at least provide a reference to the original para.

Look, MY book does not have the paragraphs designated. I just have page numbers. I have the Anchor Book, Doubleday book The Empiricists (1961) from which I am referencing. So if you have this book, I will gladly give you the page numbers.

Second, you must remember, Berkeley's arguments are in the form of a Dialogue, so they are not systematically articulated like I am doing.

But this logical structure I've been presenting is the backbone of every silly argument Berkeley gives in support of Idealism in this text. If you actually took the time to deconstruct the logic in the text instead of taking it at face value, you find this result, pal.

You obviously don't know how philosophy is practiced. When someone presents an argument with premises and a conclusion, many times the conclusion will not follow from those premises. So OUR task consists in uncovering those premise to be as charitable as possible to our opponent so that we DON'T misrepresent him. In my case, not ONCE have I ascribed beliefs to Berkeley he does not actually hold. IF YOU think I am incorrect about the premises I have given on these posts that are not actually Berkeley's own premises, then YOU need to tell me why they are not actually Berkeley's premises because I don't see it at all.

Humanity;143931 wrote:
Hahaha! Stove viewed Kant like sh_t.
He's one sick and psycho guy.

Ok, now that's an intelligent remark.:rolleyes:

Humanity

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 07:03 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143936 wrote:
haha! you accuse the everyone of misunderstanding Berkeley, inluding David Stove--everyone except yourself. But you won't tell us why you think this as if you possess some secret mystical knowledge you can't convey to us simple-minded folk.

So let's all just resign because you're a genius, Berkeley is infallible, and his Idealism unfalsfiable.:rolleyes:
Here's Stove's sick joke.
If he condemned your beloved Kant, I can only say
there's something wrong with him rather than Kant.

$300 PRIZE
A COMPETITION TO FIND THE WORST ARGUMENT IN THE WORLD
I know of an argument which, although it is almost-unbelievably bad, has not only escaped criticism by philosophers,
but has received the endorsement of countless philosophers. I think it is the worst argument in the world.
But I may be wrong: I therefore seek to learn of some argument even worse, if there is one.
Entries will be given a mark made up as follows: a mark, out of 50, for degree of
badness of the argument; plus a mark, out of 50, for the degree of endorsement which the argument has met with from philosophers; = a total mark out of 100. Thus to win, an argument will need to be either worse, or more influential, than the one I have in mind.
Entries should not exceed half a page in length, and should simply set out the candidate-argument. Entries close 31st December 1985, and should be submitted to me, with your name and address. The prize will not necessarily be awarded.
I am the sole judge of the entries, (and the sole donor of the prize-money).

D.C. Stove
Traditional & Modern Philosophy
University of Sydney.

Judge's Report on the Competition to Find the Worst Argument in the World
Ten candidate-arguments were submitted. All of them had some merit, and some of them were very interesting indeed. But none of them is worse than the argument I had in mind when I started the competition. Consequently none of them wins the prize.
Three dimensions, it will be recalled, entered into overall degree -of-badness as
here understood: (a) the intrinsic awfulness of the argument; (b) its degree of acceptance among philosophers; (c) the degree to which it has escaped criticism.
The argument - really a family of arguments - which I had in mind as the worst, was the following :
as they are related to us

"We can know things only under our forms of perception & understanding
in so far as they fall under our conceptual schemes etc.
We cannot know things as they are in themselves."

If there is a worse argument than this, I am still to learn of it.
This argument has imposed on countless philosophers, from Kant to the present hour,
yet is very hard to beat for awfulness. (Cf. my forthcoming essay, Idealism: a
Victorian Horror Story".)
Certainly none of the arguments submitted for the
competition was either clearly more awful, or more widely-accepted, than this one.
I probably erred in implying, in the information-sheet, that the above argument
has entirely escaped criticism, but it has certainly led a charmed life. Contrast,
for example, the very similar argument for psychological hedonism. It met with
classic criticism, from Bishop Butler: whereas there is no classic criticism of the
above argument.
The 'warmest' entry was that of Michael Devitt, viz. the argument:
"People speaking different naturallscientific languages have
different theories of the world, (or perceive the world differently),
So
People speaking different nat ural/scientific languages live in
different worlds".
I concede that this argument too has been virtually exempt from criticism,
i.e. that the two arguments are about equal on dimension (c). It may even
slightly exceed my favourite on dimension (a), awfulness. But it falls much
-below m y favourite on dimension (b), inasmuch as 'linguistic idealistst ( a s e might call them), although indeed numerous enough, form only a small proper sub-set of idealists. Still, it is interesting, and gratifying, that Devittls candidate and mine are such close cousins.
I thank everyone who took part. I certainly learnt some things through putting the competition on, and I have the impression that some other people did too.

D.C. Stove
Traditional and Modern Philosophy,
University of Sydney
1st January 1986

Can't find the link. to the above.

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 08:14 AM ----------

Extrain;143936 wrote:

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 07:00 AM ----------

So why don't you tell us! Don't leave everyone in suspense!
Apparently, YOU"RE the expert on Berkeley here! Don't just say that and then back out of your responsiblities as a member of this forum....please, do us all a favor and acquire a little sense here...

You are certainly the most dishonest person I've discovered yet on this forum.

12th uproven accusation. Haven't you made yourself look stupid enough times now?

Look, MY book does not have the paragraphs designated. I just have page numbers. I have the Anchor Book, Doubleday book The Empiricists (1961) from which I am referencing. So if you have this book, I will gladly give you the page numbers.

Second, you must remember, Berkeley's arguments are in the form of a Dialogue, so they are not systematically articulated like I am doing.

But this logical structure I've been presenting is the backbone of every silly argument Berkeley gives in support of Idealism in this text. If you actually took the time to deconstruct the logic in the text instead of taking it at face value, you find this result, pal.

You obviously don't know how philosophy is practiced. When someone presents an argument with premises and a conclusion, many times the conclusion will not follow from those premises. So OUR task consists in uncovering those premise to be as charitable as possible to our opponent so that we DON'T misrepresent him. In my case, not ONCE have I ascribed beliefs to Berkeley he does not actually hold. IF YOU think I am incorrect about the premises I have given on these posts that are not actually Berkeley's own premises, then YOU need to tell me why they are not actually Berkeley's premises because I don't see it at all.

Ok, now that's an intelligent remark.:rolleyes:
I suggest you and me stop all the sniping remarks and concentrate on the issue.
Its getting very annoying.

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 07:45 am
@Humanity,
Humanity;143942 wrote:
Here's Stove's sick joke.
If he condemned your beloved Kant, I can only say
there's something wrong with him rather than Kant.

You totally misread the article. Here, let me explain, son. The following bad argument,

..in stove's words, is "imposed on countless philosophers, from Kant to present hour," not that Kant actually gave that simple-minded argument. As he says immediately after,

Quote:
If there is a worse argument than this, I am still to learn of it. This argument has imposed on countless philosophers, from Kant to the present hour.

It was imposed on Kant, from Kant to the present time, becuase it originated with Berkeley, not Kant!....as can be seen here:

Contrast what Stove says about Berkeley (I bold-faced the important points),

Quote:
Stove himself was most concerned with this argument as it occurred in classical idealism. Berkeley This argument, which Stove called `the Gem', is a version of the `Worst Argument' because it argues from the fact that we can know physical things only under our own mental forms to the impossibility of knowing physical things at all.

Berkeley's argument is actually THE GEM of what Stove considers the Worst Arguments. Hahahaha!

Now compare what Stove has to say about Kant (again, bold-faced is important),

Quote:
So, are all the philosophical arguments that offend common decencies and corrupt the youth reducible to Stove's `Worst Argument'? No. That is not true for even all those of an idealist tendency. Talk of `forms of perception', and `things in themselves' may suggest Kant, but it is not clear that Kant was imposed on by a `Worst Argument'. Stove does pin a few small Gems on him (Stove, 1991, 160), but they are not central to his argument.Well before that stage in his reasoning, Kant relied on arguments from antinomies, transcendental arguments and considerations about constructions in geometry and the activity needed in counting, none of which are Gems.

Again, that Gem of a worst argument--which is Berkeley's--was not "imposed" on Kant. In fact, it says here, it turns out that Kant's transcendental Idealism arguments or NOT gems at all! Stove only may have pinned a "few small gems" on Kant concerning other matters. So Kant's arguments for transcendal Idealism, are not gems--"None of which are gems!"

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 07:59 AM ----------

Humanity;143942 wrote:
I suggest you and me stop all the sniping remarks and concentrate on the issue.
Its getting very annoying.

I can't believe your hypocracy!

YOU are the one who won't address any of my actual arguments!! You just dismiss them by choosing to respond to trivialities like you just did right HERE!

YOU DESPERATELY NEED A REALITY CHECK!!!!

I've been open-mindedly discussing in depth this topic from the start, pal. YOU have NOT! You run away whenever you are directly challenged. And you have no good responses to my arguments. Not even ONE!

Humanity

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:09 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143962 wrote:
You totally misread the article. Here, let me explain, son. The following bad argument,

..in stove's words, is "imposed on countless philosophers, from Kant to present hour," not that Kant actually gave that simple-minded argument. As he says immediately after,

It was imposed on Kant, from Kant to the present time, becuase it originated with Berkeley, not Kant!....as can be seen here:

Contrast what Stove says about Berkeley (I bold-faced the important points),

Berkeley's argument is actually THE GEM of what Stove considers the Worst Arguments. Hahahaha!

Now compare what Stove has to say about Kant (again, bold-faced is important),

Again, that Gem of a worst argument--which is Berkeley's--was not "imposed" on Kant. In fact, it says here, it turns out that Kant's transcendental Idealism arguments or NOT gems at all! Stove only may have pinned a "few small gems" on Kant concerning other matters. So Kant's arguments for transcendal Idealism, are not gems--"None of which are gems!"

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 07:59 AM ----------

I can't believe your hypocracy!

YOU are the who won't address any of my actual arguments!! You just dismiss them, by choosing to respond to trivialities like you just DID!

YOU DESPERATELY NEED A REALITY CHECK!!!!
The webpage you are looking is that of James Franklin not David Stove.
The comments are from Franklin.

Remarks like,
"We cannot know things as they are in themselves"
can only relate to Kant, who else.

You should read David Stove "Against the Idols of the Age" on his remarks on Kant and of course Berkeley et al.

Frankly i am fed up of counter sniping.
It is childish and annoying.

You can continue if you wish to, at least till the moderators get to you.

Quote:

I've been open-mindedly discussing in depth this topic from the start, pal. YOU have NOT! You run away whenever you are directly challenged. And you have no good responses to my arguments. Not even ONE!
On this, note i deliberately started this OP to get someway.

As i had stated, i am discussing Berkeley to counter strawmen against him.
Didn't i tell you i am re-reading the 843 paras to sort and compile the points?
Even with this you are nit-picking by adding put-downs.
That would definitely provoke me to counter snipe.

I am not particularly interested in Berkeley's philosophy, as i have other better philosophies to focus on.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:35 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;143921 wrote:

You are welcome. The Worst Argument in the World is famous, or notorious, depending on who knows about it.

There are three issues:

1. Is the WAITW an argument that Berkeley produces?
2. Is the WAITW an argument that underlies Idealism?
3. Is the WAITW really invalid, and what (exactly) is wrong with it, if it is invalid?

1. It looks very much like it.
2. It would seem so.
3. This is, of course, the most important issue. And is the interesting issue to discuss.

Humanity

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;143985 wrote:
You are welcome. The Worst Argument in the World is famous, or notorious, depending on who knows about it.

There are three issues:

3. Is the WAITW really invalid, and what (exactly) is wrong with it, if it is invalid?

2. It would seem so.
3. This is, of course, the most important issue. And is the interesting issue to discuss.
Here's a 41 -page thesis to counter the GEM.

Stove's Gem and the Fallacy of Equivocation.
http://meansandends.com/TomCunningham/files/gem.pdf

But Stove hardly considers why the argument has a
semblance of soundness, how such a great fallacy could slip past many competent philosophers.
In fact even after reading Stove's essay I still felt a grudging sympathy for some of the example Gems, a sympathy which even Stove's ridicule could not banish.
That is the topic of this dissertation: the logical appeal of Gems.

A Gem, I contend, commits the fallacy of equivocation.

Furthermore, the fallacy of equivocation is poorly described in typical logic textbooks, so I suggest a new account.

1. SUMMARY

1. A Gem is an argument specification which purports to validly
derive a contingent anti-realist conclusion from only a tautology.
2. An equivocating specification is one which purports to specify
appropriate premises, an appropriate conclusion, and a valid

form, but which cannot be fulfilled by any argument.
3. Therefore all Gems commit the fallacy of equivocation.
4. Treating them as such sheds light on their nature and the

appropriate way to handle them.

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:56 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;143985 wrote:

There are three issues:

2. It would seem so.

I agree. I might have come across the WAITW in passing at one time but didn't give it much thought because I had already dismissed Berkeley's idealism years ago. No one as far as I know in academia takes it seriously anyway, at least not how Berkeley presents it.

I agree, 3. is the most philosophically fruitful to discuss.

---------- Post added 03-26-2010 at 10:24 AM ----------

Humanity;143970 wrote:
The webpage you are looking is that of James Franklin not David Stove.
The comments are from Franklin.

I know.

Humanity;143970 wrote:
Remarks like,
"We cannot know things as they are in themselves"
can only relate to Kant, who else.

You're missing the point. The argument in which this claim is made is not the argument Kant had advanced, but the one Berkeley had advanced (according to Stove).

Humanity;143970 wrote:
You should read David Stove "Against the Idols of the Age" on his remarks on Kant and of course Berkeley et al.

Can you tell me why I should read it? Is it going to perform an depth critical analysis of Kant's Critique like P. F. Strawson's masterwork The Bounds of Sense? Or is it just going to lambast the Kantian school of thought in general?

Humanity;143970 wrote:
Frankly i am fed up of counter sniping.
It is childish and annoying.

You can continue if you wish to, at least till the moderators get to you.

Then stop introducing your "snipping" in order to strategically evade the content of my arguments against Berkeley. Maybe you should start considering what I have to say instead of just condemning it without an explanation why. You've misused the word "strawman" 14 times now with no way of backing that up. And it makes you ridiculously Dogmatic and accusatory toward others.

Humanity;143970 wrote:
On this, note i deliberately started this OP to get someway.

As i had stated, i am discussing Berkeley to counter strawmen against him.
Didn't i tell you i am re-reading the 843 paras to sort and compile the points?
Even with this you are nit-picking by adding put-downs.
That would definitely provoke me to counter snipe.

I am not particularly interested in Berkeley's philosophy, as i have other better philosophies to focus on.

uh..huh...More evasion.:rolleyes:

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:27 am
@Extrain,
Extrain;144032 wrote:
I agree. I might have come across the WAITW in passing at one time but didn't give it much thought because I had already dismissed Berkeley's idealism years ago. No one as far as I know in academia takes it seriously anyway, at least not how Berkeley presents it.

I agree, 3. is the most philosophically fruitful to discuss.

No, not Berkeley's version. But some form of Idealism is rife throughout all of academia (except in the hard sciences, and in analytic philosophy departments). Post Modernism is one of the most recent forms of Idealism, and permeates literature, sociology, psychology (except experimental) and many other subjects. Stove talks about this spread of Idealism and it possible motives. Linguistic idealism is standard in many attitudes toward meaning (the Humpty-Dumpty theory of meaning is just one version of it).

Can you tell me why I should read it?

You should read it because it is an excellent cultural and philosophical criticism of Idealism in many of its forms. And, it is entertaining in Stoves inimitable style. Do read it.

Extrain

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 12:00 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;144048 wrote:
No, not Berkeley's version. But some form of Idealism is rife throughout all of academia (except in the hard sciences, and in analytic philosophy departments). Post Modernism is one of the most recent forms of Idealism, and permeates literature, sociology, psychology (except experimental) and many other subjects. Stove talks about this spread of Idealism and it possible motives. Linguistic idealism is standard in many attitudes toward meaning (the Humpty-Dumpty theory of meaning is just one version of it).

Tell me about it. It even affects the minds of undergraduates in its most perverted form. A couple years ago, a committe was set up in my philosophy department designed to address this post-modern cultural relativism epidemic coming from the students in the context of lectures making it really difficult for faculty to teach. You've heard them all: "what's true for you may not be true for me," "isn't that just your opinion because truth is relative to what you believe anyway?" What people pick up from the Literary and Human Sciences makes it really difficult to teach a topic in class because when a student plays this kind of wild-card, the prof has to spend another 10 to 20 minutes explaining it away. It is a widespread thought-virus that stunts everyone's ability to think, and it won't go away.

kennethamy;144048 wrote:
Can you tell me why I should read it?

You should read it because it is an excellent cultural and philosophical criticism of Idealism in many of its forms. And, it is entertaining in Stoves inimitable style. Do read it.

Cool. I will read it. Thanks for the recommendation.

PappasNick

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 01:43 pm
@Extrain,
Extrain;144108 wrote:
Tell me about it. It even affects the minds of undergraduates in its most perverted form. A couple years ago, a committe was set up in my philosophy department designed to address this post-modern cultural relativism epidemic coming from the students in the context of lectures making it really difficult for faculty to teach. You've heard them all: "what's true for you may not be true for me," "isn't that just your opinion because truth is relative to what you believe anyway?" What people pick up from the Literary and Human Sciences makes it really difficult to teach a topic in class because when a student plays this kind of wild-card, the prof has to spend another 10 to 20 minutes explaining it away. It is a widespread thought-virus that stunts everyone's ability to think, and it won't go away.

How do arguments to the effect of the following play?

- What's true for me, and is true for you, is that you have failed this class.

- It is my opinion that you will fail this class, and this opinion will likely generate a truth.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:38 pm
@PappasNick,
PappasNick;144164 wrote:
How do arguments to the effect of the following play?

- What's true for me, and is true for you, is that you have failed this class.

- It is my opinion that you will fail this class, and this opinion will likely generate a truth.

Yes. It reminds me of the time a student intoned, "If it feels good, do it" (I think that's what Ernest Hemingway once preached. And I asked him whether, in that case, he would mind if I punched him in the face, because I thought it would feel so good if I did it. Idealism is so easy to preach, and so hard to live.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 02:19:52