On The Contrast Between Appearance And Reality

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:03 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136065 wrote:
Yes, and I am arguing that there is a third option: neutral causes.

For instance, somewhere out in our galaxy, a H molecule just came in contact with another H molecule due to the collision of two asteroids. The asteroids do not bear intentionality, nor are they capable of lacking intention (having accidents). So, the cause of the two H molecules coming in contact is neutral.

That is not true. The cause of the two H molecules coming in contact is not 'neutral', it is positive; since we know that it was positively caused by the two asteroids.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:04 pm
@Pythagorean,
MMP2506 wrote:

If it has a cause then it was the result of some intention. The intention may not have been the result, but that doesn't mean it lacked intention, it just means the intention was inadvertent, but not disconnected, to the effect.

I interpret intention as being connected to a volitive being capable of bearing intentionality. I would not say my car intended to break down, if it did. It just broke down. The cause has nothing to do with intention.

Quote:

Arguing what "science" considers consciousness is another point completely. Whatever "science" may or mat not be.

It is a point worth discussing. If you believe that single-celled organisms have consciousness, then you can call my premise false. And then please provide me evidence for why you believe they do. No need to become disgruntled and start with the quotation marks.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 04:06 PM ----------

Pythagorean wrote:
That is not true. The cause of the two H molecules coming in contact is not 'neutral', it is positive; since we know that it was positively caused by the two asteroids.

Wait, where does positive come into the mix? I just meant nuetral causes as a third option to intentional causes and non-intentional causes. You can call it whatever you wish!

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:09 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136071 wrote:

Wait, where does positive come into the mix? I just meant nuetral causes as a third option to intentional causes and non-intentional causes. You can call it whatever you wish!

There is no such animal as a 'neutral' cause.

Either the asteroids caused the two molecules to come together or they didn't.

If they did then why is the coming together of the two moledules 'neutral'?

What makes the coming together of the two molecules 'neutral'?

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:11 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:

Either the asteroids caused the two molecules to come together or they didn't.

The asteroids did not intend to collide. Asteroids cannot bear intentionality.

Do you agree or disagree?

Quote:

What makes the coming together of the two molecules 'neutral'?

Call it whatever you will. You don't have to call it "neutral", but we do need a third option. A third option which has nothing to do with volition and intentionality. For instance, my asteroids example.

MMP2506

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:14 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136071 wrote:
I interpret intention as being connected to a volitive being capable of bearing intentionality. I would not say my car intended to break down, if it did. It just broke down. The cause has nothing to do with intention.

It is a point worth discussing. If you believe that single-celled organisms have consciousness, then you can call my premise false. And then please provide me evidence for why you believe they do. No need to become disgruntled and start with the quotation marks.

Cars cannot intend because they are not conscious.

Do you disagree that nothing can be the result of no intention at all? Even something that was "unintended" was the result of an inadvertent intention and not no intention at all.

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my quotations as disgruntledness, I was merely trying to make the point that science isn't something that exists as objects exist. It isn't an absolute concept, so we can't just make the claim that, "Science says this" or "Science says that." I live a very disgruntle free life. Smile

I believe consciousness is something not reduced only to biology. I believe that when moss grows on only one side of a tree, that it is intending to do that, however, at a very primitive level.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:15 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136065 wrote:

For instance, somewhere out in our galaxy, a H molecule just came in contact with another H molecule due to the collision of two asteroids. The asteroids do not bear intentionality, nor are they capable of lacking intention (having accidents). So, the cause of the two H molecules coming in contact is neutral.

I would say the collision was an accident. Which is to say that if we knew only the path of one of the asteroids, we would not have been able to predict that they would collide. Sometimes, to say that an occurrence is an accident is merely to say that it could not have been predicted with the available information. "Accident" then is just a confession of ignorance. I imagine that was what Freud meant when he said that there were no accidents (in the Psychopathology of Everyday Life). It is certainly what Spinoza meant by "accident" and by "chance". There are a number of uses of the notion of accident.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@Pythagorean,
MMP2506 wrote:

Right! Now suppose your car breaks down, without the cause being related to anything you, or anyone, did directly. Let us suppose, just for the sake of argument, you lived near a live volcano and molten lava splashed onto your hood, melting through and damaging your engine. The cause of your car breaking down is the molten lava. Do you call this cause intentional, non-intentional, or neither, and why?

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136075 wrote:
The asteroids did not intend to collide. Asteroids cannot bear intentionality.

Do you agree or disagree?

Call it whatever you will. You don't have to call it "neutral", but we do need a third option. A third option which has nothing to do with volition and intentionality. For instance, my asteroids example.

Your asteroid example was flawed as I pointed out. The cause of the two molecules colliding has been positively identified as being the result of the two asteroids. Therefore the cause of the two molecules colliding is not 'neutral'. Your example has failed.

Furthermore, I do not believe that the collision of the two asteroids was 'neutral'. Simply because we do not know the cause of your hypothetical 'two asteroids' does not mean that we cannot, in priniciple, provide the real cause.

The question is what we can say regarding the process of evolution leading up to the emergence of human minds.

What is the status of the evolutionary process? Is it's coming to be an actual cause or not?

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:22 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:

Your asteroid example was flawed as I pointed out. The cause of the two molecules colliding has been positively identified as being the result of the two asteroids. Therefore the cause of the two molecules colliding is not 'neutral'. Your example has failed.

You have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about. I think you've demonstrated that, especially after you blatantly misquoted me on the last page. Sigh. Once again, I never said the cause wasn't identified.

Quote:

Furthermore, I do not believe that the collision of the two asteroids was 'neutral'. Simply because we do not know the cause of your hypothetical 'two asteroids' does not mean that we cannot, in priniciple, provide the real cause.

I said I know the real cause! The real cause is the asteroids colliding! The problem is, you aren't reading what I'm typing. Or, perhaps you're reading but not comprehending. If the discover it's the latter, try to spend a little more time thinking before you respond to me. It is obvious you just have it out for me, despite what I have to say. Of course, you probably call this philosophy, so why bother hitting you with some sense?

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 04:24 PM ----------

kennethamy;136077 wrote:
I would say the collision was an accident. Which is to say that if we knew only the path of one of the asteroids, we would not have been able to predict that they would collide. Sometimes, to say that an occurrence is an accident is merely to say that it could not have been predicted with the available information. "Accident" then is just a confession of ignorance. I imagine that was what Freud meant when he said that there were no accidents (in the Psychopathology of Everyday Life). It is certainly what Spinoza meant by "accident" and by "chance". There are a number of uses of the notion of accident.

Ah, I see! Then that should have been clarified earlier! Very well, I am content with that Smile

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:37 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;136076 wrote:

Do you disagree that nothing can be the result of no intention at all? Even something that was "unintended" was the result of an inadvertent intention and not no intention at all.

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my quotations as disgruntledness, I was merely trying to make the point that science isn't something that exists as objects exist. It isn't an absolute concept, so we can't just make the claim that, "Science says this" or "Science says that." I live a very disgruntle free life. Smile

I believe consciousness is something not reduced only to biology. I believe that when moss grows on only one side of a tree, that it is intending to do that, however, at a very primitive level.

Whose intention was the cracking of my windshield the other day? I was under the impression that the extreme cold caused it. What do you know about it that I don't? (If I get my hands on the person who cracked my windshield, he had better watch out!)

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:37 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136081 wrote:
You have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about. I think you've demonstrated that, especially after you blatantly misquoted me on the last page. Sigh. Once again, I never said the cause wasn't identified.

I am not the one who is proposing some 'neutral' cause idea. You have proposed it. I don't believe in your conception of 'neutral' cause. If I misquoted you, simply point out the error and I will address it.

Zetherin;136081 wrote:
I said I know the real cause! The real cause is the asteroids colliding!

Here is what you said:

Zetherin;136065 wrote:

In this case, why is the cause of the two H molecules coming in contact 'neutral'?

I simply asserted that it is wrong to say that the cause of the two H molecules coming in contact is 'neutral'. I said that the cause of the two H molecules coming together is the direct result of the two asteroids. This is a positive, material, well-founded cause and not a 'neutral' cause.

Zetherin;136081 wrote:
The problem is, you aren't reading what I'm typing. Or, perhaps you're reading but not comprehending. If the discover it's the latter, try to spend a little more time thinking before you respond to me. It is obvious you just have it out for me, despite what I have to say. Of course, you probably call this philosophy, so why bother hitting you with some sense?

You are changing the subject. If you think I am not being clear, simply point it out and I will definitely address it.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;135865 wrote:
Are we morally responsible for the unintended consequences as well?

Abso-bloody-lutely! Why do you think life is so interesting and so difficult? 'The best laid plans o' mice and men' wrote Robbie Burns 'gang aft awry' (i.e., often have unintended consequences.)

Why did Alfred Nobel endow the Nobel Prize? Because he realised what dreadful unintended consequences his invention of dynamite would have, and wanted to strike a blow for peace.

---------- Post added 03-05-2010 at 08:42 AM ----------

I may look like I am digressing here, but actually, I am pressing the case for 'the law of karma' which I understand as a 'moral law'. If evolution is to occur as the 'accidental collocation of atoms', then there can be no basis in reality for a moral law. I believe that there is a moral law in reality.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:50 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;136088 wrote:
Abso-bloody-lutely! Why do you think life is so interesting and so difficult? 'The best laid plans o' mice and men' wrote Robbie Burns 'gang aft awry' (i.e., often have unintended consequences.)

Why did Alfred Nobel endow the Nobel Prize? Because he realised what dreadful unintended consequences his invention of dynamite would have, and wanted to strike a blow for peace.

---------- Post added 03-05-2010 at 08:42 AM ----------

I may look like I am digressing here, but actually, I am pressing the case for 'the law of karma' which I understand as a 'moral law'. If evolution is to occur as the 'accidental collocation of atoms', then there can be no basis in reality for a moral law. I believe that there is a moral law in reality.

So, if though no fault of my own, my gun is stolen, and then used in a murder, then I am responsible? You are tough! Even Aristotle classified ignorance as a major category of excuses along with compulsion. What about, "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do"?

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:57 pm
@kennethamy,
If we can establish the fact that evolutionary science implies that human intelligence is indeed fortuitous or accidental (which I believe that jeeprs can and has done) then, we may ask whether or not the opposing view will always carry with it a theological implication. This is the question that jeeprs is asking.

Surely, it seems to me, that theologians can and have used the opposing view to support their claims that God exists.

One further question that I would pose: Is the view that evolutionary science proposes - that the emergence of human intelligence is accidental - is this view a reasonable view? Unless they can establish a cause which has no other cause before it, then it seems, their position is an unsound one, unreasonable.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:58 pm
@Pythagorean,
kennethamy;136092 wrote:
So, if though no fault of my own, my gun is stolen, and then used in a murder, then I am responsible ?

How are you responsible for your gun being stolen? I believe the law in most places is that it must be stored in a locked cabinet. If it were, and the cabinet had been jemmied open, then I imagine your culpability would be minimal. If you left it loaded and in plain sight, and some kid wandered in and took it and killed someone by mistake - then you should go to jail.

There is no use 'playing dumb' about this principle. Either we are morally responsible agents, or we are not. Personally, I cannot conceive of how freedom is possible if we are not morally responsible agents. If we are the puppets of some external force, then life is indeed a cruel joke.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:05 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;136095 wrote:
How are you responsible for your gun being stolen? I believe the law in most places is that it must be stored in a locked cabinet. If it were, and the cabinet had been jemmied open, then I imagine your culpability would be minimal. If you left it loaded and in plain sight, and some kid wandered in and took it and killed someone by mistake - then you should go to jail.

There is no use 'playing dumb' about this principle. Either we are morally responsible agents, or we are not. Personally, I cannot conceive of how freedom is possible if we are not morally responsible agents. If we are the puppets of some external force, then life is indeed a cruel joke.

Well, my gun was in a locked cabinet. But there was a fire in my home, and in the aftermath, someone stole my gun. How would I have been morally responsible for the murder committed with the gun?

I agree that either we are morally responsible or not, since I am a great advocate of the law of the excluded middle. But the case I gave is a case of my not being morally responsible, so I guess I am square with the law of the excluded middle. Which is not, of course, to deny that we are morally responsible agents. It is only to deny that I am morally responsible for the murder committed with the gun that was stolen from me.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:05 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:
I simply asserted that it is wrong to say that the cause of the two H molecules coming in contact is 'neutral'. I said that the cause of the two H molecules coming together is the direct result of the two asteroids. This is a positive, material, well-founded cause and not a 'neutral' cause.

Stop harping on the word "neutral". I wasn't using the word "neutral" for any reason other than my desire to address a third option. And you should know this, because I noted this earlier. The point was that there are some causes which have nothing to do with volitive beings. That is all. I was not saying that the cause is unidentified, and I was not saying that there was no cause. All I meant by my asteroid example was that the cause had nothing to do with the volition of a being. That is, it had nothing to do with intentionality. Kennethamy clarified the matter by pointing out that "accident" could be used in a different sense.

Thus, when you now ask, "Zetherin, do you think that the cause of natural evolution is accidental?", I can safely respond, "Yes". "Accidental", here, is just a confession of ignorance. But the last 20 pages was me trying to clarify just what it is you meant by "accidental"!!

Understand now?

Pythagorean

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:19 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136100 wrote:

Thus, when you now ask, "Zetherin, do you think that the cause of natural evolution is accidental?", I can safely respond, "Yes". "Accidental", here, is just a confession of ignorance. But the last 20 pages was me trying to clarify just what it is you meant by "accidental"!!

The question is, given that the cause of the evolution that leads up to human minds is unknown, do you think it reasonable to construct arguments which state that the causes of the process of evolution are in some sense related to mind or idea? What would be your counter-argument to such assertions?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:25 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;136106 wrote:
The question is, given that the cause of the evolution that leads up to human minds is unknown, do you think it reasonable to construct arguments which state that the causes of the process of evolution are in some sense related to mind or idea? What would be your counter-argument to such assertions?

If you mean simply find argument to establish that evolution is in some sense related to mind or idea, that should not be difficult. I can find arguments to show that butterscotch ice-cream is related in some sense to the theory of relativity. "In some sense" makes it easy, since anything you care to name is related in some sense to anything else you care to name, and I am sure I can find an argument in any particular case.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:31 pm
@Pythagorean,
First, let me say that I believe that the mind is a product of the brain (but let us be clear I do not think they are the same). That is, without our brain, our mind would not exist.

Now, things which have minds are said to have evolved from single-celled organisms. Single-celled organisms, as far as we understand them, are not conscious, and nor do they have minds. At least not in the same sense a human would be conscious, or have a mind. So, if single-celled organisms were the predominant organisms at the beginnings of evolutionary life, this most likely means there were no organisms which were conscious or had minds at the beginnings of evolutionary life. If we suppose there were no conscious or mindful organisms at the beginnings of evolutionary life, then we can suppose that evolution, as the process, is not the result of mind. The mind is the result of brain activity, and the brain is the result of evolution.

There are indeed causes for why the mind came to exist. But there's no "higher purpose" for the mind existing.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 09:53:40