Know Thyself?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Subjectivity9

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 04:06 pm
@richrf,
GoshisDead,

The mind is a doing thing. Doing humility is a kind of doing. Trying not to do is also a kind of doing. It is circular. Mind is circular.

Enlightenment is outside of mind. (Transcendent) What can the mind do to get outside of the mind?

So yes, pursuit of any kind is also a doing.

We don’t arrive at enlightenment like it is some kind of a prize for DOING something right.

Knowing this your mind can only conclude that it is impossible. Yet somewhere deep inside you know that it isn’t. You know that enlightenment IS you.

Subjectivity9

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 04:17 pm
@Subjectivity9,
Like I said, I'm not enlightened. I don't even know what it means. How can I know what it means if I am not it. Humility is not a does it is an is. Humility is in and of itself transcendent. Humility is not a natural human state, I would hope that it is a prerequisit for enlightenment. If in fact I have but to stop I would first have to be humble enough to recognize my short comings and relinquish my ego that is driving me on the figurative journey. If I am and already am my ego is not me, it is a shadow of me eclipsing the me that is. I don't do humility, to do humility is to consciously and with will force myself to act as if I were something, to be humble is simply to be.

richrf

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 05:21 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;93120 wrote:
Are these the rules by which you pilot an automobile to a specific destination?

Sometimes. I gather information and then I go. But if I see a traffic starting to build or things don't look right I might spontaneously decide to move in a different direction. Meanwhile, I am sometimes amazed how some drivers will stay the course no matter what is happening around them. Gut feel has been very useful in my life. Sometimes, it is all one has.

Rich

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 05:57 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93144 wrote:
Sometimes. I gather information and then I go. But if I see a traffic starting to build or things don't look right I might spontaneously decide to move in a different direction. Meanwhile, I am sometimes amazed how some drivers will stay the course no matter what is happening around them. Gut feel has been very useful in my life. Sometimes, it is all one has.

Rich

When you gather information, are you sorting it in some manner into different categories such as correct information and incorrect information?

When you say, "things don't look right," how do you make this determination if you cannot, as you claim, make a judgement between true and false?

As far as "gut feel" goes, I've read Gavin de Becker, so you don't need to sell me on the validity of instinct or intuition. I've experienced it as well. However, saying that one has "a gut feeling" about something is just a figure of speech, a cliche, even. Data interpreted in the brain is the responsible party, whether conscious or subconscious.

richrf

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 06:02 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;93161 wrote:
When you gather information, are you sorting it in some manner into different categories such as correct information and incorrect information?

No, because I have no idea what is correct and incorrect. I attribute this to a life time worth of experience in dealing with people. Everyone has their biases and their beliefs - particularly when it comes to the stock market and the fastest way to travel to a destination.

TickTockMan;93161 wrote:
When you say, "things don't look right," how do you make this determination if you cannot, as you claim, make a judgement between true and false?

It is a feeling.

TickTockMan;93161 wrote:
As far as "gut feel" goes, I've read Gavin de Becker, so you don't need to sell me on the validity of instinct or intuition. I've experienced it as well. However, saying that one has "a gut feeling" about something is just a figure of speech, a cliche, even. Data interpreted in the brain is the responsible party, whether conscious or subconscious.

Maybe. I don't think so. It is just one of those things that everyone experiences in life and science wishes to deny because it just doesn't fit well into their materialistic belief system. This is what I call filtering information to achieve a specific goal and conclusion. We all do it. Scientists are different in that they don't realize that they are doing it.

Rich

Subjectivity9

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 06:08 pm
@richrf,
Hey Rich,

I think that Alan Watts would agree with you that ‘decision-making’ is a kind/of spontaneity, even when you believe yourself to be thinking things out in an organized fashion before deciding. Our mind is drawn like a magnet to the strongest stimulation.

If you are deciding what to have for supper and someone stabs you with a knife, you immediately forget supper. So it is with most all of life.

TT Man,

We only think that we are in charge of outcomes. We may hope. We may intend. But this mental life where we live is far too complex for us to control. So rules are like favorite toys.

Subjectivity9

richrf

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 06:16 pm
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;93166 wrote:
Hey Rich,

I think that Alan Watts would agree with you that 'decision-making' is a kind/of spontaneity, even when you believe yourself to be thinking things out in an organized fashion before deciding. Our mind is drawn like a magnet to the strongest stimulation.

If you are deciding what to have for supper and someone stabs you with a knife, you immediately forget supper. So it is with most all of life.

TT Man,

We only think that we are in charge of outcomes. We may hope. We may intend. But this mental life where we live is far too complex for us to control. So rules are like favorite toys.

Subjectivity9

I agree. We collect information and then POP! we make a decision whether to go this way or that. In Western Philosophy it is called Free Will. In Chinese metaphysics it is called the Zhi (Will).
Rich

Subjectivity9

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 07:00 pm
@richrf,
Hey GoshisDead,

I am sure that you believe that you are not enlightened, at least as you presently define enlightenment.

This is a very subtle discovery, this enlightenment/Spirit. We overlook ‘Spirit’ constantly. It isn’t that we don’t see ‘It.’ ‘Spirit’ is obvious. We actually see ‘It’ all of the time. We simply don’t know what we are looking at.

Perhaps this is why so many masters on Awakening to the Truth, laugh out loud.

So perhaps the real question might be, if “I Am It” or (If I Am Spirit) why can’t I know this right now?

I believe the simplest answer has to be, because of “Wrongful Identification.” (Buddhist)

Isn’t humility actually the opposite of pride?

I agree for the most part, that pure unadulterated humility is not a natural human state. If anything, arrogance seems to be the horse we ride. We certainly like to see ourselves as being in charge. Perhaps this is why we have so much trouble giving up our hold on the reins.

Saying that you hope that humility is a prerequisite to enlightenment is the same as saying that you hope most men are disallowed from being IN enlightenment.

Pride can certainly be an ugly animal. So I can understand your not wanting to arrive in enlightenment only to find it there with you.

Being “humble enough to recognize my short comings and relinquish my ego” is based upon your present idea that the jiva must in some way be ‘perfected’ in order to have or to OWN enlightenment. Said differently, you do not believe that you in your present state are enough, (or worthy.)

The perfection of the jiva isn’t possible, because what we really mean by perfection of the jiva is to turn it into Spirit. Jiva never becomes Spirit. We simply witness that we are wrong in believing that we are jiva. We see that we are already Spirit. (Pure and Simple)

This figurative journey of yours, I believe, is seeing the jiva as a fix-it-up project. We all believe this at some point.

Yes, you ego is not you. It is a mental fabrication.

A shadow could only eclipse you from yourself if you were separated from yourself in some way. Separation is a big lie.

It is the mind that plays over here and over there. Spirit is the only Here.

Subjectivity9

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:43 am
@richrf,
richrf;93163 wrote:
No, because I have no idea what is correct and incorrect. I attribute this to a life time worth of experience in dealing with people.

But you have no idea if by saying this you are correct or incorrect.

Or are you saying that your inability to determine what is correct or incorrect has come about as a result of a lifetime of dealing with people? Your syntax has confused me.

richrf;93163 wrote:
Everyone has their biases and their beliefs

Does this include you?

If so, how do you reconcile this statement with your previous statement where you said that you have no idea what is correct and incorrect? By saying "Everyone has their biases and their beliefs," are you not asserting that this is your belief, formed by your own observations of people? Is a belief, much like faith, not related to the principles of correctness and incorrectness in order to make it, well, something worth believing or having faith in?

Perhaps you are excluding yourself from your own observations? If so, why?

If I am to take what you seem to be saying at face value, I'm left with the conclusion that you have no idea whatsoever why you believe what you believe at any given moment regardless of your position in time and space as either the observer or the observed. In short, you seem to be living in a permanent state of tabula rasa, a continually self-erasing blackboard, in essence.

richrf;93163 wrote:
I have no idea what is correct and incorrect.

One wonders how you would dance the Samba or Salsa (which you've noted elsewhere that you personally enjoy) if you did not believe there was a correct and incorrect way of going about doing things. There is a correct way of doing the Samba, is there not? Yes, obviously you must infuse the dance with a certain passion, or feeling, but if you do not follow certain correct patterns, aren't you just gyrating spastically in a random fashion?

And what of Tai Chi, which you have said that you teach. If you have no idea of what is correct and incorrect, what are you teaching your students? The old masters admonish that you risk damaging yourself if the movements are performed incorrectly. If I happened to be one of your students and I asked you how the Tai Chi movement entitled "Repulse the Monkey" was performed would you tell me to just do it however I felt like doing it?

richrf;93163 wrote:
Maybe. I don't think so.

So in other words, you think that what I said might be incorrect, that is, the opposite of correct.

richrf;93163 wrote:
This is what I call filtering information to achieve a specific goal and conclusion.

How is this different (other than perhaps semantically) than when I asked you, "when you gather information, are you sorting it in some manner into different categories such as correct information and incorrect information?"

Wait, I'm re-reading what you said. I think what you must mean by "filtering information to achieve a specific goal and conclusion," is that you are indicating a foregone or predetermined goal or conclusion, or in other words that you are running your incoming data though some sort of filter so it will match a preconceived notion. Is that it?

If so, that's odd, because that's what some people seem to be accusing science of doing. How puzzling. Again, it seems to indicate a belief that one group is correct, while the other is incorrect.

richrf;93163 wrote:
Scientists are different in that they don't realize that they are doing it.

What is it then that they think they are doing? Never mind. See above. To use the vernacular, "my bad."

TT Man,

We only think that we are in charge of outcomes. We may hope. We may intend. But this mental life where we live is far too complex for us to control.

So are you a Determinist, an Indeterminist, or just a garden variety Fatalist?

So rules are like favorite toys.

You're going to have to explain this simile to me, as I have no idea what you are trying to convey with it.

richrf;93170 wrote:
I agree. We collect information and then POP! we make a decision whether to go this way or that. In Western Philosophy it is called Free Will. In Chinese metaphysics it is called the Zhi (Will).

You can't possibly agree. That would indicate a judgement of correctness, the opposite of incorrectness.
Also, I can't see anything in Subjectivity9's post that corresponds with your reference to either free will or Zhi.

Everlastingly confused,
TTMan

richrf

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:09 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
But you have no idea if by saying this you are correct or incorrect. Or are you saying that your inability to determine what is correct or incorrect has come about as a result of a lifetime of dealing with people? Your syntax has confused me.

Yep. Everyone says something different. If I tried to figure out what is correct, I would go crazy. I collect information, compare it to my own experiences, and make a judgment on how to proceed. There is no correct. It is just the option I chose.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
Does this include you?

Of course. Anyone who reads my posts knows my biases and beliefs. I don't try to pretend to be unbiased for appearances sake.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
If so, how do you reconcile this statement with your previous statement where you said that you have no idea what is correct and incorrect? By saying "Everyone has their biases and their beliefs," are you not asserting that this is your belief, formed by your own observations of people?

Yes.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
Is a belief, much like faith, not related to the principles of correctness and incorrectness in order to make it, well, something worth believing or having faith in?

It is a belief, subject to change.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
Perhaps you are excluding yourself from your own observations? If so, why?

No. I am human like everyone else.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
If I am to take what you seem to be saying at face value, I'm left with the conclusion that you have no idea whatsoever why you believe what you believe at any given moment regardless of your position in time and space as either the observer or the observed. In short, you seem to be living in a permanent state of tabula rasa, a continually self-erasing blackboard, in essence.

I just told you what I believe. And I told you how I make decisions. POP! It happens after I formulate my beliefs.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
One wonders how you would dance the Samba or Salsa (which you've noted elsewhere that you personally enjoy) if you did not believe there was a correct and incorrect way of going about doing things.

If you have ever danced, then you would know that everyone dances differently, and actually on different beats depending upon how the music is moving them.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
There is a correct way of doing the Samba, is there not?

Nope. It is a very individualistic dance. Everyone hears something different and they express themselves. It is an art.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
Yes, obviously you must infuse the dance with a certain passion, or feeling, but if you do not follow certain correct patterns, aren't you just gyrating spastically in a random fashion?

I feel the music and I dance to it.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
And what of Tai Chi, which you have said that you teach. If you have no idea of what is correct and incorrect,

Nope. I tell my students that this is my interpretation. I am not dogmatic and I encourage my students to experiment. Develop their own feeling.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
what are you teaching your students?

My understanding of Tai Chi.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
The old masters admonish that you risk damaging yourself if the movements are performed incorrectly.

Nope. You only may hurt yourself if you are not relaxed while trying to conform to rigid guidelines. Rigidity is what causes injury.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
If I happened to be one of your students and I asked you how the Tai Chi movement entitled "Repulse the Monkey" was performed would you tell me to just do it however I felt like doing it?

No, I show them my interpretation, but I also tell them that other teachers teach it differently. One of the things I learned while hopping around is that everyone teaches it differently, and everyone thinks they are right - except for me of course.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
So in other words, you think that what I said might be incorrect, that is, the opposite of correct.

I have no idea.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
How is this different (other than perhaps semantically) than when I asked you, "when you gather information, are you sorting it in some manner into different categories such as correct information and incorrect information?"

I am not sorting anything or categorizing. I am assimilating. It just comes into my consciousness as it may.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
or in other words that you are running your incoming data though some sort of filter so it will match a preconceived notion. Is that it?

Yes.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
If so, that's odd, because that's what some people seem to be accusing science of doing. How puzzling. Again, it seems to indicate a belief that one group is correct, while the other is incorrect.

I think everyone has their beliefs. Some are more aware of them than others.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
So are you a Determinist, an Indeterminist, or just a garden variety Fatalist?

An explorer and detective.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
You can't possibly agree. That would indicate a judgement of correctness, the opposite of incorrectness.

A belief that is subject to change.

TickTockMan;93244 wrote:
Also, I can't see anything in Subjectivity9's post that corresponds with your reference to either free will or Zhi.

It is that POP! when you make a decision.

Rich

Subjectivity9

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 07:23 am
@richrf,
Hey TT Man,

I am afraid that you are going to see my answer to you as a simple slight of hand. I cannot be pinned myself down to any “ism” whatsoever.

“I Am Spirit,” or said slightly differently, “I Am Self.”

That is not to say that my mind isn’t capable of looking at an “ism” such as Determinism and seeing what I have said has some correspondence with what they may be saying at any given time.

Spirit doesn’t dwell within the mind. So consequently Spirit isn’t playing mind games like "What ism am I."

I am no long trapped within concepts. Mind uses its concepts as a way to control. Spirit doesn't play the game called control.

When I say that rules are like favorite toys, what I mean to say is that we pick toys/rules up because we find them engaging in some way. The toys/rules are bright and shiny and make us feel good just to look at them. Or we see a possibility to build something with them leading to a feeling of self-esteem or capability. But like all toys, rules remain situational.

By "situational" I mean that toys/rules are not capable of continuing to meet our need endlessly. The truth is that they loose their luster and we often simply out grow them.

The control that these rules/toys may have seemingly given us at one time, sooner or later will no longer bring us feelings of satisfaction. So rules like toys are often thrown aside in order to move on to the next best hope. (Been there/done that.) : ^ /

Subjectivity9

---------- Post added 09-24-2009 at 10:41 AM ----------

Rich,

Okay, I first thought that by Zhi you meant Chi, but that didn’t jive with my ideas about Free Will.

Next I Googled ‘Zhi,meaning’ and got answers like Zhi means: abides or influences on multiple levels, or to know, intelligence, will, intention, emotion, even to set in order. This didn’t surprise me because I am familiar with the Chinese way of making words so multi-purposed. But,

Here I am back wondering what your idea of Zhi’s meaning is. Details please.

Even collecting the information is like a pop. Pop, I collect this piece of information. Pop, I add this piece of information. Pop, I correspond these two with each other in this particular way. It’s like a light show, all smoke and mirrors, with thoughts popping all over the place. We are just along for the ride. If there is “Will” involved, it certainly doesn’t appear to be mine.

Subjectivity9

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:18 pm
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;93283 wrote:

I cannot be pinned myself down to any "ism" whatsoever.

"I Am Spirit,"
Spiritualism?

or said slightly differently, "I Am Self."
Egoism (which should not be confused with the similar term, "egotism")?

I am no long trapped within concepts. Mind uses its concepts as a way to control. Spirit doesn't play the game called control.

A few questions:

1) If mind uses concepts as a way to control, what does spirit actually do?

2) How are mind and spirit separated?

3) Is spirit a concept, or is it a thing?

3a) If it is a thing, why can it
not be measured, weighed, or seen?

3b) If it is a concept, does it not follow that it is a product of the mind
and subject to the mind's control?

Hasta con queso,
TTM

richrf

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:43 pm
@Subjectivity9,
Rich,

Okay, I first thought that by Zhi you meant Chi, but that didn't jive with my ideas about Free Will.

Next I Googled 'Zhi,meaning' and got answers like Zhi means: abides or influences on multiple levels, or to know, intelligence, will, intention, emotion, even to set in order. This didn't surprise me because I am familiar with the Chinese way of making words so multi-purposed. But,

Here I am back wondering what your idea of Zhi's meaning is. Details please.

I am using Zhi in the sense of intention. In other words, one aspect of the human being is the ability to freely choose direction with intention. Of course, all choices are influenced by all of the other forces (intentions) that surround us. So we can choose to go in a particular direction, but we may or may not get there depending upon outside influences.

Even collecting the information is like a pop. Pop, I collect this piece of information. Pop, I add this piece of information. Pop, I correspond these two with each other in this particular way. It's like a light show, all smoke and mirrors, with thoughts popping all over the place. We are just along for the ride. If there is "Will" involved, it certainly doesn't appear to be mine.

Subjectivity9

Yes, our Yi (Mind) collects information (Pop, Pop), and then based upon the info and experiences, and other factors, e.g. feelings, we make a decision to move in a particular direction (Zhi). Zhi would be the Free Will to make a decision on which direction to go.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:48 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;93120 wrote:
Are these the rules by which you pilot an automobile to a specific destination?

It is called "the mystery ride". A mystery even to the driver.

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:52 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;93371 wrote:

I imagine it would be called "a harrowing ride" to a passenger.

richrf

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:53 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;93371 wrote:

There are no rules. And there are no correct ways. There are no right or wrong ways. Sometimes I go this way, for a scenic ride, sometimes that way for a quick drive. Sometimes I have to change direction because of construction. Sometimes I can't even get there. There are no correct ways. Just me finding a way to do this or to that - which can change at any time.

Rich

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:13 pm
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;93179 wrote:
Hey GoshisDead,

I am sure that you believe that you are not enlightened, at least as you presently define enlightenment.

As I currently define it? I noted that I don't know what it is. If I am already being then all I have to do is define it as what I already am? So when someone decides to say "hey I'm good enough as I am" they have suddenly become enlightened? Seems the only real way to not take a journey of betterment (figurative or literal).

Saying that you hope that humility is a prerequisite to enlightenment is the same as saying that you hope most men are disallowed from being IN enlightenment.

This is saying nothing of the sort. Don't most mystical traditions allow for the folly of pride? Cycle of rebirth, repentance, resitution etc... Are you not allowing for learning in your tradition, whatver it may be? Doesn't one have to relinquish their pride in order to notice that they are, or is it back to a matter of definition and semantics?

This figurative journey of yours, I believe, is seeing the jiva as a fix-it-up project. We all believe this at some point.

If at some point we all believe this before we are enlightened then we are all at some point at figurative point/state A, a transcendence of whatever sort happens then we are at point/state B. Unless there is no transcendence or duration we have been on a journey, in in my case still am on a journey. In order for the sage to laugh out loud when s/he Awakens to the truth, s/he had to have been asleep.

TickTockMan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:46 pm
@richrf,
richrf;93375 wrote:
There are no rules. And there are no correct ways. There are no right or wrong ways.

This seems like an excellent strategy for absolving oneself of responsibility for one's actions.

I may have to try this sometime at work when my boss tries to tell me I screwed something up, or better yet when I am driving, drunk of course, backwards down a one-way street in a residential area and firing my .357 magnum randomly out the window.

My concern though is that I would be marginalizing myself somehow by adopting this philosophy. Thoughts?

Subjectivity9

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 06:22 pm
@richrf,
HI GoshisDead,

Let me start off with an apology, because I seem to be frustrating the heck out of you. I see you as a true seeker and I certainly don’t want to, through some lack in my own ability to explain, make things harder for you in any way. It hasn’t been that long, that I don’t remember my own painful frustration.

The word Enlightenment has so much baggage. Perhaps that is why I prefer the word Spirit, or Presence. Enlightenment seems to point at some destination or some goal, it makes you think that it requires some change taking place. It is not really like that. When you know yourself, the Self you are right now and always, you know Spirit because they are one and the same. Spirit is so subtle that some have said it is similar to the feeling of breathing in and breathing out, a feeling that is always within awareness but pretty much in the background and unnoticed.

Much as we at times try to force breath, when breath is purely capable of taking care of itself, we also try to force awareness of Spirit. This is not necessary.

Although you say that you don’t know what enlightenment is, you are also quite sure that you are not enlightened. How can you be so sure? Can you accept the possibility that a journey of betterment is like “barking up the wrong tree?” This is what receptivity is all about.

Most mystical traditions are all about folly. They tell us about all of things that people like the Buddha did until He gave up on the concept of progress.

This is definitely not a matter of semantics. Trying to speak about something that can’t be said adequately, and using a dualistic language to speak of the dimension of ‘One’ is a real bear. I do this because it was done for me, and for some reason I feel drawn to you more than most.

I used to sit with a Spiritual friend on the back porch, and speak with him for hours over many years on these things. These truths seem to seep into us more like insights than logical conclusions. You like myself will continue to try to think yourself free. It can’t be helped. I did it. But at the same time, I must continue to tell you the complete truth as I know it. Much of this is paradoxical.

Subjectivity9

kennethamy

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 06:27 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;93373 wrote:
I imagine it would be called "a harrowing ride" to a passenger.

Yes. That too......

---------- Post added 09-24-2009 at 08:33 PM ----------

TickTockMan;93397 wrote:
This seems like an excellent strategy for absolving oneself of responsibility for one's actions.

I may have to try this sometime at work when my boss tries to tell me I screwed something up, or better yet when I am driving, drunk of course, backwards down a one-way street in a residential area and firing my .357 magnum randomly out the window.

My concern though is that I would be marginalizing myself somehow by adopting this philosophy. Thoughts?

Yes. And he tells you that there are no right and wrong ways. I wonder whether he thinks that what he say is right? Does he really mean that when he drives home there is no difference in what route he takes. Not even if it leads away from home? So that driving home is not driving home? The question really is whether what he says makes any sense. I vote, no.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 04:36:59