is time infinite?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Aedes

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 01:46 pm
@MJA,
MJA;41060 wrote:
And as time goes by mankind will find he has come full circle, back to where he began.
How can this be asserted if time is circular and infinitely undivided?

Fido

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 01:59 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
and if i live another million years it still less than a second away...we will never have infinity only the illusion..

Another million??? What was the first on like? Quick?

xris

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 02:23 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Another million??? What was the first on like? Quick?
It past..but how relative is this moment to our past? however long we have lived.This instant is all we ever have and for us infinity is always just out of reach..

Fido

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 02:31 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
It past..but how relative is this moment to our past? however long we have lived.This instant is all we ever have and for us infinity is always just out of reach..

You better seize the future if you expect to enjoy some now...

Fido

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 02:38 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Fido, read my post again without the exegesis.

I'm not making a generalizable argument about things other than infinity, and I'm not making a generalizable argument about utilitarianism.

All I'm doing is contradicting your statement that infinity should be left to theology. That's it.

Sorry sir.... Until I know better I will look at all infintes as absolutes, and beyond our reach... Science, and even math treating infinities as if they exist does not mean they do, and until some one actually produces an infinite, which of course would mean it was not infinite, then nothing true can be said of it... So what ever I say I say knowing I speak falsely, but even that is not a guarentee that it is false... When we know time changes everything, a simple change of true to false, or false to true is no matter...

Aedes

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 02:46 pm
@Fido,
Fido;41074 wrote:
Sorry sir.... Until I know better I will look at all infintes as absolutes, and beyond our reach... Science, and even math treating infinities as if they exist does not mean they and until some one actually produces an infinite, which of course would mean it was not infinite, then nothing true can be said of it...
Science and math do NOT treat infinites as if they "exist", Sir. Statements of risk in probability and statistics are bounded by statements of confidence relative to a theoretically infinite sample set. A derivative in calculus requires creating a slope out of a single point, i.e. an infinitely small instant.

Quote:
So what ever I say I say knowing I speak falsely
You can plead ignorance here, I mean I don't assume that you can intuit the mechanics of mathematical disciplines based on your preconceptions.

So you're not making false statements. You have a conception of what discussions of infinity should be-- you have little conception of what they are.

xris

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 02:55 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
You better seize the future if you expect to enjoy some now...
How can i seize the future when it is as far away as infinity...I plan but i dont live the future..

MJA

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 03:12 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
How can this be asserted if time is circular and infinitely undivided?

History repeats itself, don't cha know.
And if you doubt it, watch, and you'll see for your self.
This is what I see:
Mankind divided the universe with uncertain measure,
and Oneday soon mankind will reunite again with out a doubt.
We're so close to One I can be it.
Cool Huh?

=
MJA

xris

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 03:18 pm
@MJA,
MJA wrote:
And if you doubt it, watch, and you'll see for your self.
This is what I see:
Mankind divided the universe with uncertain measure,
and Oneday soon mankind will reunite again with out a doubt.
We're so close to One I can be it.
Cool Huh?

=
MJA
Prophet..how does your garden grow ? with seeds of certainty or some vague roots of unity?????

MJA

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 03:22 pm
@xris,
In simple truth beauty grows.
And a little TLC.

=
MJA

Aedes

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 03:32 pm
@MJA,
MJA;41083 wrote:
No it doesn't. Everything is unique. It's our unique appetite for free association that makes us conclude that history repeats itself, which incidentally is a vague cliche. Sure, we make some mistakes again and again. But it's not because of some metaphysical periodicity to events or time.

xris

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 03:34 pm
@MJA,
MJA wrote:
In simple truth beauty grows.
And a little TLC.

=
MJA
Arrr certainty ..i do hope the fruit is to your taste..

manored

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 07:26 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
and if i live another million years it still less than a second away...we will never have infinity only the illusion..
Be going to live forever is different from having lived forever...

MJA

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 09:58 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Arrr certainty ..i do hope the fruit is to your taste..

The fruit that grows from pure absolute truth is universally infinite.
Right back from whence we came, full circle.
It is not to turn mankind around but rather our beginning is simply just ahead.
Follow the light.
Be One.

=
MJA

l0ck

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 02:12 am
@MJA,
The following bears re-iteration: Existence is a set of finite, and infinite magnitudes, proof of one infinite aspect of existence, is proof the whole is infinite.

StupidBoy wrote:
I thought I'd take a moment out to question this little bit. 321423*infinity= infinity.

Thx StupidBoy for pointing this out.
What I meant though is, infinity implies wholeness, which is where the '1' came from. In absolute arrhythmic all things are apart of 1 whole infinite thing.
You are correct though, I misrepresented this.

Quote:
I can take a line segment of a Cantor Set and measure it. I can measure the entire set, or any given segment of the set, at any point along the series.
Yes but what about when dealing with a line and not a line segment? IE, a set with no end points, or a infinite set? The set of all natural numbers, is a infinite set. Now yes, this infinite set of natural numbers is technically 'countable' because its the collection of countable natural numbers, but there are uncountable infinite sets as well. A set is countable when we can put it on a 1-to-1 correspondence with the set of natural numbers - IE when it has the same cardinality of the set of natural numbers, which is aleph-0. Cantor has a whole series of customized transfinite numbers that he represents with the hebrew aleph symbol, which isnt allowed in this forum. The aleph series are power sets of un-enumerables used to describe cardinality or 'size' of infinities both countable and uncountable. Cantors Aleph series helps us see how some infinities are 'bigger' than others or have a higher order than others. For example, the infinite set of natural numbers, has to be 'smaller' than the infinite set of real numbers, which is uncountable. Cantor proved this in his diagonalization argument.

For those who don't know what Aleph-0 is, the enumerable Aleph-zero category is the category of all objects and things which are enumerable, of not only numbers and symbols, but of all things which are identifiable as separate entities. It follows that the enumerate members of the Aleph-zero category are, transfinitely, in one-to-one correspondence with each other, that is to say, they are not separable from each other transfinitely. Transfinitely, all enumerates pertain to an integrated whole of finite and infinite magnitudes - the absolute. All subsets, are apart of an infinite mainset - the absolute. All members of Cantor's Aleph-zero series are not only in one-to-one correspondence with each other but, also, they are each in one-to-one correspondence with the whole or absolute.

Concerning time and transfinite life: Mathematically, life is an absolute main-set which has transfinite and finite sub-sets and the absoluteness of all sub-sets is inalienable. The absolute is wholly present in each of its parts. Essentially, from an absolute perspective which includes all view-points and all truths, all finite things are transfinite things - all things are apart of the absolute. It is impossible to make that which is absolute, un-absolute. We are apart of that whole, and as transfinite beings, while body-death ends our finite life which perceives the whole in separated parts through time, our essential being is unaffected. Time is of finite perception, but existence is absolute. A fully self-realized monadic being has no concept of time, because it is consciously aware all is one, it is aware it creates itself, and it is aware it creates its environment, it is aware it creates each eternal moment, it is fully self-realized and treats each piece of itself as such.

xris

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 03:55 am
@l0ck,
l0ck wrote:
The following bears re-iteration: Existence is a set of finite, and infinite magnitudes, proof of one infinite aspect of existence, is proof the whole is infinite.

Thx StupidBoy for pointing this out.
What I meant though is, infinity implies wholeness, which is where the '1' came from. In absolute arrhythmic all things are apart of 1 whole infinite thing.
You are correct though, I misrepresented this.

Yes but what about when dealing with a line and not a line segment? IE, a set with no end points, or a infinite set? The set of all natural numbers, is a infinite set. Now yes, this infinite set of natural numbers is technically 'countable' because its the collection of countable natural numbers, but there are uncountable infinite sets as well. A set is countable when we can put it on a 1-to-1 correspondence with the set of natural numbers - IE when it has the same cardinality of the set of natural numbers, which is aleph-0. Cantor has a whole series of customized transfinite numbers that he represents with the hebrew aleph symbol, which isnt allowed in this forum. The aleph series are power sets of un-enumerables used to describe cardinality or 'size' of infinities both countable and uncountable. Cantors Aleph series helps us see how some infinities are 'bigger' than others or have a higher order than others. For example, the infinite set of natural numbers, has to be 'smaller' than the infinite set of real numbers, which is uncountable. Cantor proved this in his diagonalization argument.

For those who don't know what Aleph-0 is, the enumerable Aleph-zero category is the category of all objects and things which are enumerable, of not only numbers and symbols, but of all things which are identifiable as separate entities. It follows that the enumerate members of the Aleph-zero category are, transfinitely, in one-to-one correspondence with each other, that is to say, they are not separable from each other transfinitely. Transfinitely, all enumerates pertain to an integrated whole of finite and infinite magnitudes - the absolute. All subsets, are apart of an infinite mainset - the absolute. All members of Cantor's Aleph-zero series are not only in one-to-one correspondence with each other but, also, they are each in one-to-one correspondence with the whole or absolute.

Concerning time and transfinite life: Mathematically, life is an absolute main-set which has transfinite and finite sub-sets and the absoluteness of all sub-sets is inalienable. The absolute is wholly present in each of its parts. Essentially, from an absolute perspective which includes all view-points and all truths, all finite things are transfinite things - all things are apart of the absolute. It is impossible to make that which is absolute, un-absolute. We are apart of that whole, and as transfinite beings, while body-death ends our finite life which perceives the whole in separated parts through time, our essential being is unaffected. Time is of finite perception, but existence is absolute. A fully self-realized monadic being has no concept of time, because it is consciously aware all is one, it is aware it creates itself, and it is aware it creates its environment, it is aware it creates each eternal moment, it is fully self-realized and treats each piece of itself as such.
For heavens sake what are you on about..is this a belief system or are you actualy talking facts ? Sorry but faith and concepts dont get on very well in my bed.I can understand each moment is eternal but who are these solitary beings.?

xris

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 04:03 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
Be going to live forever is different from having lived forever...
Be going..what is that? is it the sound a dinner gong makes? how very astute of you..whose lived or lived forever?

Fido

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:10 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Science and math do NOT treat infinites as if they "exist", Sir. Statements of risk in probability and statistics are bounded by statements of confidence relative to a theoretically infinite sample set. A derivative in calculus requires creating a slope out of a single point, i.e. an infinitely small instant.

You can plead ignorance here, I mean I don't assume that you can intuit the mechanics of mathematical disciplines based on your preconceptions.

So you're not making false statements. You have a conception of what discussions of infinity should be-- you have little conception of what they are.

So; a theoretical infinite is not treating them as if they exist... What, then, does theoretical mean??? If I were to shoot a sloping line, I could back shoot it, and if in shooting it I could treat it as if it continues indefinitly even through a mountain... What is indefinite is not realistically infinite, and infinite does not even mean without end, as it says, and our definition of it can be no more precise than the condition it describes... So while we think of time being infinite we know that we can measure it only because of events such as years, and season and moons that are cyclical in nature; but what would happen of our time if all the events we relate time to where to distort beyond recognition??? If all we had were the ticking ouf our clocks, would time make sense... Ultimately, time is life, and time changes everything, and it may be argued that clocks and even conceptual manifolds like time that are not even true concepts because they represent infinites are the way the experience of one generation can make sense to another...

Now; if you suggest that science and math consider infinites as realities I will tell you honestly that moral philosophy deals almost exclusively with infinites... We cannot measure nor define such qualities as justice, or liberty, or ethics... To try is a foolish as to define time without all the cycles of spacial bodies that give to time its markers... In fact time has more markers than a right, or an emotion. The fact that humanity continually deals in infinites as if they exist only means we have an impediment to overcome... Since we cannot define our infinites in a fashion able to translate its meaning beyond our generation, or cross culturally, we can still define it to ourselves and our neighbors, and attempt to communicate our sense of their meaning cross culturally...

So I am not alone in difficulty with what an infinite should be... I recognize that we define them as suits our needs... You might realize to that your slope, your line, if it represented a physical reality would be affected by other bodies. I would be willing to bet that I could not find a piece of matter no matter how large or small that was not deformed by its own mass; but the proof for such a conclusion is far beyond my ability...

Fido

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:14 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
For heavens sake what are you on about..is this a belief system or are you actualy talking facts ? Sorry but faith and concepts dont get on very well in my bed.I can understand each moment is eternal but who are these solitary beings.?

The notion of a moment being eternal is daft... We could consider each moment as infinitely divisible, if we had an eternity in which to divide it; but only because the moment ends, which it would not if it were eternal...

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:49 am
@meridius,
The answer to Is time Infinite? is YES YES YES

Alan

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 08:55:14