is time infinite?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

l0ck

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 02:45 pm
@meridius,
Quote:
Lock I think you are complicating things too much, and its a nearly useless complication because people either already know that or will not agree with that Smile And for those who dont agree you will probally want to present something simpler.

Maybe. At first things can seem very complicated but as we explore any one thing, we are constantly learning from it, and we internalize it in our minds and it becomes us and is no longer complicated and we are no longer unaware. We become aware. I'm not posting to impose my will on anyone, or trying to prove that anyone's view is more correct than anyone else's view. I just want to give another perspective to the author, and everyone else interested in the post and feels like reading another perspective on time utilizing a view-point where all things are apart of one thing. The ideas I expressed are from Cantor's thoughts, if anyone feels my posts are too complicated they can gladly go further their understanding of the concepts by researching what Cantor thought and hopefully you wont find that as complicated. We are only united by words, but concepts are independent to us, because realities are independent to us. We all have our own personal language. My point with the post is all perspectives, are real perspectives, and they are all apart of the absolute truth and to those who don't want to restrict themselves to one view have the option of viewing things another way, this doesn't mean any one view is not truth. Philosophers don't impose their will on others, that is the art of the salesman. Observations are dependent to the observer, and philosophy is not defined by any parameters so as a philosopher I find it necessary to carry multiple view-points in my philosopher's tool-kit to further my understanding about anything. We all have the ability to doubt anything, and with doubt can come great understanding. So when I doubt something, to me that is just evidence that I need to think about it more to further my understanding, its a type of hunger signaling to myself that I need to further my awareness, and to further myself. Look at primitive tribal groups, they believed and found truth in all sorts of areas of mysticism. It was real to them and true to them. In order to find that truth, you must absorb their view.

xris

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:19 pm
@l0ck,
l0ck wrote:
Maybe. At first things can seem very complicated but as we explore any one thing, we are constantly learning from it, and we internalize it in our minds and it becomes us and is no longer complicated and we are no longer unaware. We become aware. I'm not posting to impose my will on anyone, or trying to prove that anyone's view is more correct than anyone else's view. I just want to give another perspective to the author, and everyone else interested in the post and feels like reading another perspective on time utilizing a view-point where all things are apart of one thing. The ideas I expressed are from Cantor's thoughts, if anyone feels my posts are too complicated they can gladly go further their understanding of the concepts by researching what Cantor thought and hopefully you wont find that as complicated. We are only united by words, but concepts are independent to us, because realities are independent to us. We all have our own personal language. My point with the post is all perspectives, are real perspectives, and they are all apart of the absolute truth and to those who don't want to restrict themselves to one view have the option of viewing things another way, this doesn't mean any one view is not truth. Philosophers don't impose their will on others, that is the art of the salesman. Observations are dependent to the observer, and philosophy is not defined by any parameters so as a philosopher I find it necessary to carry multiple view-points in my philosopher's tool-kit to further my understanding about anything. We all have the ability to doubt anything, and with doubt can come great understanding. So when I doubt something, to me that is just evidence that I need to think about it more to further my understanding, its a type of hunger signaling to myself that I need to further my awareness, and to further myself. Look at primitive tribal groups, they believed and found truth in all sorts of areas of mysticism. It was real to them and true to them. In order to find that truth, you must absorb their view.
Truth myths and mystics dont sleep well together..

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:51 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:

yes they do, Myths are a higher form of truth than facts.

xris

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 04:03 pm
@avatar6v7,
yes they do, Myths are a higher form of truth than facts.
Put your beano down and be sensible its xmas..Happy xmas.im off to bed father xmas is coming..

l0ck

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 06:11 pm
@meridius,
Quote:

From a single-paradigmatic approach this is true. IE: When you refuse to switch to a absolute view-point. This single approach is 'today's' traditional paradigmatic construct - a single view. It is the view of 'our time'. But that doesn't mean there are not any other views, and thus not any other truths. And this doesn't mean that a single-view is any 'worse' or 'better' than a multi-paradigmatic view - all is perfect from an absolute perspective. It just goes to show, how truth changes. And how we can change the truth. Scientists may establish an hypothesis as being 'beyond reasonable doubt', or as supported by 'sufficient evidence', or as 'the best current view' ... but scientists cannot prove any hypothesis in an absolute sense, from an absolute perspective, where everything is apart of the absolute infinite set. The hypotheses of science are all provisional, in that they are all subject to change and improvement. Our truths are species truths; our truths change and progress as our species changes and progresses; truth is a characteristic and function of species; a species creates its own truths. Our species is self-created. 'No', many say ... 'how can the living species make itself? The species evolved from very primitive life-forms: How can such forms make, of themselves, what humans are today?' But, this sort of finite thinking cannot judge an absolute case. The species is absolute, and its finite aspects are but subsets of the infinite main-set - the absolute. In absolute logic, it is perfectly reasonable for an evolutionary species to create itself. And as such it creates its own truths, necessary for its evolution through time towards transcendance.

Breaking through the barrier of finite logic, into the realm of absolute logic, is essential to the understanding of existence. But you cannot know one without the other, hints reality, and the current 'view'. We tend to set up our realities in a way that, over time, we lead ourselves towards complete and absolute awareness. This means the environment changes, as we create our own truths, we create our own environments. Entropy is the result. Eventually, as we become absolutely aware, the environment will decay completely. And a new one will be made in the name of absolute awareness. Our minds are the centers of this transformation, and they are 'hungry'. With the environment being the 'food' our minds absorb the environment's qualities, and internalize them, turning finite qualities of mass into transfinite qualities of the mind, the environment decays, and finally, after all is absorbed there is the complete understanding that we do create the environment, and we will do as such again while being aware.

caesar2012

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 01:38 am
@meridius,
meridius wrote:
I am doing a paper on eternal recurrence and how it is flawed
I am trying to prove that, for actions to repeat themselves, time would have to repeat itself aswell. I am finding this actually very dificult.
so far, I have an explanation of a video tape: Consider a videotape: once the video has finished, it does not begin again. If an individual decided to watch it again, someone must rewind the video until it has reached a specific time. The time indicator on the screen will read a specific time. That time will change back to what it was in the past as one continues rewinding the videotape.

what do you think of that?
I kind of made it up on the spur of the moment Sad
so ya...any good argument for: if the world recurs, so should time.

????? please???????/
and thank you !!!!!! Smile

I do not see time as a video tape but if it was what if someone just put it on continous play like a casette on auto reverse. Or if time was a dvd player and you put it back to the beginning you could still pause it and do other things. I do not see how for actions to repeat themselves time has to repeat itself. Time is a clock that never stops. With some dajavu thrown in to confuse us. Now that I think of it time might repeat itself but we dont know how or why. Well I guess I wont be able to sleep pondering this tonight. Time is infinate and it doesnt matter if anyone keeps track or not. Time keeps going.

manored

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 11:23 am
@l0ck,
l0ck wrote:
I understand that you are just trying to show other viewpoints, I just think you should try to simplify these viewpoints so you wont end up making walls and walls of text Smile

xris wrote:
we only have now everything else is history or expectation...infinity is less than a second away...the notion of infinity is only expectation nothing more..we can only live for the second and expect it too last just a bit longer..When we look at others moments or ours it is only a marker to this moment..infinity is an illusion to make us feel relative..

Infinity is not an ilusion, but a concept. Everthing we perceive from outside our mind is an ilusion, or rather, something we cannot disprove to be an ilusion, but the concept of infinite will never change in our minds no matter how we call it. It doesnt matters if time is an ilusion, as long as our minds are active it will exist and be passing, thoughts cannot happen winhout time, and as we cannot perceive the inactivity of our own mind we must affirm time is infinite, because it exists for as long as we can perceive.

xris

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 04:47 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
I understand that you are just trying to show other viewpoints, I just think you should try to simplify these viewpoints so you wont end up making walls and walls of text Smile

Infinity is not an ilusion, but a concept. Everthing we perceive from outside our mind is an ilusion, or rather, something we cannot disprove to be an ilusion, but the concept of infinite will never change in our minds no matter how we call it. It doesnt matters if time is an ilusion, as long as our minds are active it will exist and be passing, thoughts cannot happen winhout time, and as we cannot perceive the inactivity of our own mind we must affirm time is infinite, because it exists for as long as we can perceive.
So you agree its an illusion? tell me is infinity a second away or million years plus ?whats the nearest to infinity in your mind?

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 10:14 am
@xris,
Can I answer??? What ever exceeds our grasp is the nearest infinity... If we could turn it over in our hands we could turn it over in our minds, so that all we cannot see beyond is infiniite no matter how near or close at hand...

xris

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 10:37 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Can I answer??? What ever exceeds our grasp is the nearest infinity... If we could turn it over in our hands we could turn it over in our minds, so that all we cannot see beyond is infiniite no matter how near or close at hand...
so a second away is that beyond your grasp? Expectations of the future is not imagining infinity..expectations can never be finalised because they change as our moments change..

manored

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 12:05 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
So you agree its an illusion? tell me is infinity a second away or million years plus ?whats the nearest to infinity in your mind?
An ilusion is something that is perceived by the senses as true, but its not. A concept is pure logic, it doesnt haves any sensorial memories attached to it, nor it makes sense to imagine it, so its not an ilusion.

I dont imagine infinity as a period of time, rather I hold it as the concept of that time cannot end: Any imaginable period of time is valid.

Talking about time, I am off in a travel today, so my answer to any future posts will take a randow amount of time Smile

xris

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 12:20 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
An ilusion is something that is perceived by the senses as true, but its not. A concept is pure logic, it doesnt haves any sensorial memories attached to it, nor it makes sense to imagine it, so its not an ilusion.

I dont imagine infinity as a period of time, rather I hold it as the concept of that time cannot end: Any imaginable period of time is valid.
but how long is your concept ? is it a long way away ?

manored

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 12:58 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
but how long is your concept ? is it a long way away ?
The concept "time cannot end" holds no space for the argument "lenght" Smile

I dont really understand what you are meaning. The whole idea of infinity is that any amount of whatever is infinite is possible, so there is no point in worring about the proximity.

xris

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 01:01 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
The concept "time cannot end" holds no space for the argument "lenght" Smile

I dont really understand what you are meaning. The whole idea of infinity is that any amount of whatever is infinite is possible, so there is no point in worring about the proximity.
Whose worried? So it has no length ?

manored

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 01:28 pm
@meridius,
It is as long as you want it to be.

xris

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 01:59 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
It is as long as you want it to be.
so it has length..make your mind up..

LWSleeth

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 11:33 pm
@xris,
xris;39708 wrote:
so it has length..make your mind up..

This is why debating time before it is clearly defined is a huge waste of effort. What exactly is in dispute if you don't even know whether you agree or disagree with disputants what time is?

If we have to define time, then who is qualified? Has anyone discovered "facts" about time we can all review and then use as a basis for further discussion? Yes! Science has.

Now, does that mean we have to limit the discussion to what science has discovered? No, but it at least gives us a starting place, and it provides some guidelines for debate because any proposition can at least be expected to not contradict what's been discovered.

Here is something we know. Time (which I suggest is the rate of entropic change in the universe), can be altered by gravity or acceleration. Take it from there.

xris

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 08:12 am
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:
This is why debating time before it is clearly defined is a huge waste of effort. What exactly is in dispute if you don't even know whether you agree or disagree with disputants what time is?

If we have to define time, then who is qualified? Has anyone discovered "facts" about time we can all review and then use as a basis for further discussion? Yes! Science has.

Now, does that mean we have to limit the discussion to what science has discovered? No, but it at least gives us a starting place, and it provides some guidelines for debate because any proposition can at least be expected to not contradict what's been discovered.

Here is something we know. Time (which I suggest is the rate of entropic change in the universe), can be altered by gravity or acceleration. Take it from there.
I have no problem with the concept of time in science..did i say i had?...We are talking about infinity and how we relate to infinity how we imaging infinity..I'm trying to say that infinity is no further than a second away..you can measure the past by time but the future has no relation to time because it is in the future...we can have expectations but nothing else, so infinity is the next moment it cant be measured..

caesar2012

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:59 am
@meridius,
There will always be a past present and future. So time is never ending if you record it with a clock or calander or not. It is there.

xris

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 11:14 am
@caesar2012,
caesar2012 wrote:
There will always be a past present and future. So time is never ending if you record it with a clock or calander or not. It is there.
So how do you know there is future time?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:54:46