is time infinite?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

caesar2012

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 12:46 pm
@meridius,
Future time. How could there not be. If we were 200 years in the future we could look ahead and say 200 more years from now will be the future again. If you could keep jumping ahead 200 or 2000 or 2 million year incriments. You would always be able to say what happenes next will be in the future. Even if the planet or galaxy wasnt here and you kept jumping ahead but say you were in a protective bubble standing in space. You would still have a future time even if nothing is here anymore. Even if nobody can acknowledge it still it remains. Even if it never was recorded in the first place it is there.

Fido

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 12:47 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
so a second away is that beyond your grasp? Expectations of the future is not imagining infinity..expectations can never be finalised because they change as our moments change..

A second past is beyond my grasp, and even thhe future may be if I do not, as that baseball player said: Hit them where they ain't... It is intelligence that allows one to see the future because we all can, but only the intelligent do not blind themselves hoping against hope... And you still have to seize it, to have it...Expectation can never be finalized, but they can be realized... What we do before time, in anticipation of time, getting ahead of time because even while incompletely, we can conceive of time; means that we can live, today, so our life is realized, but it is not over until it is over, so we have to be prepared for a tomorrow that we may never reach, but do not want to reach it unready...

caesar2012

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 01:18 pm
@meridius,
What Was........What is now.........What will be......... There will always be a WHAT WILL BE.. or WHAT IS TO COME. At least in our dimension.

LWSleeth

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 01:23 pm
@xris,
xris;39798 wrote:
I have no problem with the concept of time in science..did i say i had?...We are talking about infinity and how we relate to infinity how we imaging infinity..I'm trying to say that infinity is no further than a second away..you can measure the past by time but the future has no relation to time because it is in the future...we can have expectations but nothing else, so infinity is the next moment it cant be measured..

Yes, but the question was, is time infinite . . . and so first one has to have a working definition of time before one can talk about what traits it has or has not. Of course, the thread author seemed to actually be asking if time infinitely recycles; that is, after this universe winds down, will a new time-creating situation take its place, and so on ad infinitum. Obviously no one knows that, and there seems to be nothing going on in our universe now from which we can infer what will happen.

So let's apply my logic to your point, that infinity (I assume you mean infinite time) is always at hand. First we define time, and it turns out that the very definition of "time" excludes infinity. Why? (And here's where you can see why carefully defining time before discussing it potentials is crucial to an intelligent conversation.)

If we accept my definition, then what we call "time" is actually related to our observation of the relentless march of the physical universe toward disorder. Galaxies are flying apart, and at an ever increasing rate. Stars are burning towards supernovas and black holes. Our own bodies are falling apart and will, at some point, be mere quantum fluctuations. There's even solid evidence protons decay, so nothing is safe (it appears) from the organization of the universe ending in wholesale disorder.

But isn't it within a type of order that humans are found? Our bodies are the most advanced example of organization known in the universe. So as part of that amazing process that gave we humans a body, and because we can make observations (unlike most of the matter of the universe), we have witnessed, from birth, the incessant dissipation of all that's related to our physical existence: order. Our endless exposure to the disordering aspect of reality has given us a perspective which we label "time." Time is nothing more than a human physical perspective.

Alright then, let's answer your question. Since there is a finite amount of matter in the universe, and since matter is where order is primarily found, it means there are only so many disordering events left before all becomes disorder. That "perspective" we have gained from birth is watching the basis of our physical existence head toward being disorganized, or death.

We say, "I only have so much time left," but really we are saying, "there are only so many disordering events left before my physical existence is done (or before some star disappears, or before the universe itself melts into . . . ???). One thing we know about the RATE of disorder is that it can be affected by gravity or acceleration: increase the degree of say, acceleration of a jet, and the RATE of disorder slows down in that accelerating frame of reference (relative to the jet's former non-accelerating frame of reference). AND THAT'S WHAT PROVES "TIME" IS PURELY A PHYSICAL CONCEPT.

Given what we can see about the universe's order, we can only conclude that our perspective of the rate of disorder we call "time" is finite for the setting we call "universe" . . . and we don't know if the eventually-dissipated universe will somehow reaorganize as matter and start the cycle all over again, possibly recycling forever.

Another issue that gets mixed up in, and confuses, questions of time and infinity (eternity is actually the more proper term), has to do whether or not we humans are purely physical things (or emergent qualities of physicalness), or if we humans are in reality consciousness and something different than physicalness. So people will talk about the eternal nature of the human soul or our mind in the context of "time," and that is (accepting my definition) an oxymoron. Time by definition is finite, that part of its very meaning; so if there is an eternal something (soul or anything else), it is not subject to "time."

xris

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 01:54 pm
@caesar2012,
caesar2012 wrote:
Future time. How could there not be. If we were 200 years in the future we could look ahead and say 200 more years from now will be the future again. If you could keep jumping ahead 200 or 2000 or 2 million year incriments. You would always be able to say what happenes next will be in the future. Even if the planet or galaxy wasnt here and you kept jumping ahead but say you were in a protective bubble standing in space. You would still have a future time even if nothing is here anymore. Even if nobody can acknowledge it still it remains. Even if it never was recorded in the first place it is there.
Your expecting your professing...

xris

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 01:55 pm
@caesar2012,
caesar2012 wrote:
What Was........What is now.........What will be......... There will always be a WHAT WILL BE.. or WHAT IS TO COME. At least in our dimension.
You to..are expecting..will it always be so??

xris

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 01:58 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:
Yes, but the question was, is time infinite . . . and so first one has to have a working definition of time before one can talk about what traits it has or has not. Of course, the thread author seemed to actually be asking if time infinitely recycles; that is, after this universe winds down, will a new time-creating situation take its place, and so on ad infinitum. Obviously no one knows that, and there seems to be nothing going on in our universe now from which we can infer what will happen.

So let's apply my logic to your point, that infinity (I assume you mean infinite time) is always at hand. First we define time, and it turns out that the very definition of "time" excludes infinity. Why? (And here's where you can see why carefully defining time before discussing it potentials is crucial to an intelligent conversation.)

If we accept my definition, then what we call "time" is actually related to our observation of the relentless march of the physical universe toward disorder. Galaxies are flying apart, and at an ever increasing rate. Stars are burning towards supernovas and black holes. Our own bodies are falling apart and will, at some point, be mere quantum fluctuations. There's even solid evidence protons decay, so nothing is safe (it appears) from the organization of the universe ending in wholesale disorder.

But isn't it within a type of order that humans are found? Our bodies are the most advanced example of organization known in the universe. So as part of that amazing process that gave we humans a body, and because we can make observations (unlike most of the matter of the universe), we have witnessed, from birth, the incessant dissipation of all that's related to our physical existence: order. Our endless exposure to the disordering aspect of reality has given us a perspective which we label "time." Time is nothing more than a human physical perspective.

Alright then, let's answer your question. Since there is a finite amount of matter in the universe, and since matter is where order is primarily found, it means there are only so many disordering events left before all becomes disorder. That "perspective" we have gained from birth is watching the basis of our physical existence head toward being disorganized, or death.

We say, "I only have so much time left," but really we are saying, "there are only so many disordering events left before my physical existence is done (or before some star disappears, or before the universe itself melts into . . . ???). One thing we know about the RATE of disorder is that it can be affected by gravity or acceleration: increase the degree of say, acceleration of a jet, and the RATE of disorder slows down in that accelerating frame of reference (relative to the jet's former non-accelerating frame of reference). AND THAT'S WHAT PROVES "TIME" IS PURELY A PHYSICAL CONCEPT.

Given what we can see about the universe's order, we can only conclude that our perspective of the rate of disorder we call "time" is finite for the setting we call "universe" . . . and we don't know if the eventually-dissipated universe will somehow reaorganize as matter and start the cycle all over again, possibly recycling forever.

Another issue that gets mixed up in, and confuses, questions of time and infinity (eternity is actually the more proper term), has to do whether or not we humans are purely physical things (or emergent qualities of physicalness), or if we humans are in reality consciousness and something different than physicalness. So people will talk about the eternal nature of the human soul or our mind in the context of "time," and that is (accepting my definition) an oxymoron. Time by definition is finite, that part of its very meaning; so if there is an eternal something (soul or anything else), it is not subject to "time."
Im terribly sorry but you have only expectations just like the others..prove that there is another moment in time..

ratta

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 02:40 pm
@meridius,
for everyones life time is infinite but has a beginning. for instance there are two lovers the center of the universe for the egyptians it was ra and the gods for chritains it was god and jesus but almost most people will agree that there are moe than one component to this love or energy of light . i know for a fact that there is only two but the two cannot exist with out everything else for that was the word in the beginning. everything else are the people of the visable world and the invisable. some created by ''god'' choose to live without him , without love and the only thing left was hatered and anger so that is what they thrive on.now ''jesus'' god' and everything else '' the people'' are living repeating til each muscle grows stronger til each cell mutates till each seed spruts we will repeat we must complete the dark we must try there is no easy road there is only death our death.

Joe

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 06:10 pm
@ratta,
what happens if you take away matter from everything...........

Fido

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 06:58 pm
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
what happens if you take away matter from everything...........

Things are matter... Time without space is meaningless, and matter without space is meaningless, and space and matter without time are meaningless.

LWSleeth

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 07:26 pm
@xris,
xris;39839 wrote:
Im terribly sorry but you have only expectations just like the others..prove that there is another moment in time..

What "expectations" are you talking about? I said nothing about expectations, I spoke of the fact that the universe, as anybody these days should know, is entropic overall.

That's why yours is a ridiculous demand since "time" is not an actual quality. But if you want to pretend time actually exists, then one might say there is no "moment," except for now, there has never been a moment that wasn't now, and there will never be a moment that isn't now. The concepts of past and future merely reflect that some of the universe's ordered situations have already become disordered, and based on how things have gone, some of the universe's ordered situations will become more disordered.

So I repeat, how do you expect to discuss the potentials, or lack of, of time when you don't even understand what time is? All you are doing is demanding a proof that can't be achieved over, and over, and over, and over and over, and over . . . . . No one can prove anything beyond all doubt, and just repeating your single argument ad nauseum doesn't make it so.

Joe

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 09:19 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Things are matter... Time without space is meaningless, and matter without space is meaningless, and space and matter without time are meaningless.

Yep.............................

xris

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 03:52 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth wrote:
What "expectations" are you talking about? I said nothing about expectations, I spoke of the fact that the universe, as anybody these days should know, is entropic overall.

That's why yours is a ridiculous demand since "time" is not an actual quality. But if you want to pretend time actually exists, then one might say there is no "moment," except for now, there has never been a moment that wasn't now, and there will never be a moment that isn't now. The concepts of past and future merely reflect that some of the universe's ordered situations have already become disordered, and based on how things have gone, some of the universe's ordered situations will become more disordered.

So I repeat, how do you expect to discuss the potentials, or lack of, of time when you don't even understand what time is? All you are doing is demanding a proof that can't be achieved over, and over, and over, and over and over, and over . . . . . No one can prove anything beyond all doubt, and just repeating your single argument ad nauseum doesn't make it so.
How do you presume that i do not understand time..as a time lord i know well what time is..dont be so presumptuous..We have records of time passing and we have EXPECTATIONS of times to come but as we only measure time by our movement through it we have only now my friend only now...i could tell you about time but should it be science or real time..you choose..

schloopfeng

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 06:10 pm
@meridius,
:shocked:Blimey...... right the way im getting it is as follows... infinity is defined as a time based doo dah thingy, and if time stopped then infinity would then cease to exist anyway because there would be nothing to contain infinity any more. cool. just a pondering though, if it all did indeed start with a big bang then it is at least one ended there stretching forward until now at least unless it preceeded this big bang thing in some way.
Lets assume this big bang thing happened & we also take into account that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, are we likely to experience a "big slurp" a sucking in of what previously burst out, if this is the case then maybe it could all be infinite, if during the slurp time got dragged through to the other side of slurp & carried on until the next bang & so on & so fourth, kind of like a bicycle pump ....imagine outside the tyre is one dimension & inside the tyre is another, the pump slurps from outside & deposits inside, then maybe the next big bang could be when "God" has exceeded his max air pressure on his "continentals" (great tyres ...use em meself). then everything that was inside is suddenly outside again from the resulting big bang, "God says oh b~gg#r & fits a new tyre & off we go again, so i suppose the question should be Is the supply of continentals infinite or can we switch to schwalbes if we need to ........yup .....think i got it Very HappyLaughing:shocked::shocked:

StupidBoy phil

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 09:55 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Does meaningless equate with non-existence? Here's the question that rises for me. I agree with you that we cannot perceive time except through change, and that change requires both matter or energy and also space. Is our inability to perceive something the same as that thing not existing, however? If the world were suddenly devoid of circles, we would not be able to perceive the ratio of the radius to the diameter, but would that ratio cease to exist, or merely lie beyond the scope of our possible knowledge? The underlined question is central to the nut I'm trying to crack right now, and my initial thought is that something does not cease to exist simply because it's beyond my perception or even beyond my ability to conceptualize.

I cannot prove this (as of yet, perhaps it will be possible with more study), but it makes sense based on empirical evidence. It is not possible for me to perceive all the laws of physics perfectly, but that does not mean that those laws do not exist. A hundred years ago, we could not even conceptualize energy and matter consisting of the same "stuff", yet our inability to grasp this concept did not make it null until Einstein's work brought it to light.

Thus, I have to submit that time, while only perceptible through changes in matter and energy in space, exists independently of these other qualities. There is no reason to believe that time is not infinite, since it is not dependent on anything finite for it's existence.

xris

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 10:13 am
@StupidBoy phil,
StupidBoy wrote:
Does meaningless equate with non-existence? Here's the question that rises for me. I agree with you that we cannot perceive time except through change, and that change requires both matter or energy and also space. Is our inability to perceive something the same as that thing not existing, however? If the world were suddenly devoid of circles, we would not be able to perceive the ratio of the radius to the diameter, but would that ratio cease to exist, or merely lie beyond the scope of our possible knowledge? The underlined question is central to the nut I'm trying to crack right now, and my initial thought is that something does not cease to exist simply because it's beyond my perception or even beyond my ability to conceptualize.

I cannot prove this (as of yet, perhaps it will be possible with more study), but it makes sense based on empirical evidence. It is not possible for me to perceive all the laws of physics perfectly, but that does not mean that those laws do not exist. A hundred years ago, we could not even conceptualize energy and matter consisting of the same "stuff", yet our inability to grasp this concept did not make it null until Einstein's work brought it to light.

Thus, I have to submit that time, while only perceptible through changes in matter and energy in space, exists independently of these other qualities. There is no reason to believe that time is not infinite, since it is not dependent on anything finite for it's existence.
Time is not the problem nor the understanding of it..its infinity that requires time not time infinity...This continuous expectation expressed by all requires time but as we only have now ..what in the hell is infinity???lets take it we move an inch a minute eventually we would be anywhere in the universe with the human concept of time..but the next inch could take a million years and it would not be significant...we only have now...infinity is as close as you can imaging..

Fido

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 10:53 am
@StupidBoy phil,
StupidBoy wrote:

Meaning is the essence of being... So long as we live we have meaning, and can find meaning; but does anything exist when we do not??? It does not matter..It has no meaning because we have no meaning... What exists must exist to some one; other wise it has no meaning

StupidBoy phil

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 12:58 pm
@Fido,
As I understand what you're saying, the universe will cease to exist when you do. Or, perhaps a broader "we", but nevertheless the universe ends when the human condition does. This is, I think, a fallacious view. The clock does not cease to exist because I am not watching it. My work has not ceased to exist even though I'm taking a break. You are, to my understand, taking the approach of the most narrow form of idealism; this form of idealism was rejected by most philosophers over a century ago.

Also, I'd be very careful about basing any sort of theory around "living" or "consciousness". Life is a very difficult word to define, when you get right down to brass tacks. Proving that we're alive is it's own philosophical issue. After all, you're nothing but a complex series of chemical reactions, not much different than a firework or internal-combustion engine. An outside stimuli is applied, reactions take place, and an action emerges. There is no need for consciousness in either case.

Fido

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 02:24 pm
@StupidBoy phil,
StupidBoy wrote:
As I understand what you're saying, the universe will cease to exist when you do. Or, perhaps a broader "we", but nevertheless the universe ends when the human condition does. This is, I think, a fallacious view. The clock does not cease to exist because I am not watching it. My work has not ceased to exist even though I'm taking a break. You are, to my understand, taking the approach of the most narrow form of idealism; this form of idealism was rejected by most philosophers over a century ago.

Also, I'd be very careful about basing any sort of theory around "living" or "consciousness". Life is a very difficult word to define, when you get right down to brass tacks. Proving that we're alive is it's own philosophical issue. After all, you're nothing but a complex series of chemical reactions, not much different than a firework or internal-combustion engine. An outside stimuli is applied, reactions take place, and an action emerges. There is no need for consciousness in either case.

It May be fallacious; but it would take a living person around to prove it...Reality is something we prove for those who went before, and we also prove our own reality while we are here to testify that we existed yesterday.... To have been we must yet be....

Life is difficult to define, again, because only the living can define life... So, my definition will always seem subjective even if life is all we objectively have in common...We each define our own life by our own experience, and we spend our entire lives doing so, and in a sense, like happiness, the definition waits on a conclusion; so that people talked of king Priam, and said let no man call himself happy while yet alive... Really??? Sort of tough to later...

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 04:21 pm
@meridius,
Fido,

I think time is a human construct to measure how we move through space. Stop all movement and time will stop.

Let things move as before , and stop measuring time it will not effect anything will it, everything will just go on moving.

Alan

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 03:31:14