How did you get your name?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Kroni

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 04:48 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I'm a story-writer, and name is a self-created word for one of these stories. It is a person who has been been corrupted by power and has transformed into an animal-like state. It is a metaphor about how we use our intelligence to gain more and more control and begin to lose sight of morality. It becomes a sort of instinctual survival, turning us into animals once again.

timthethinker

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:14 am
@Kroni,
descartes line. i am a thinking thing. that i can be assured of. and like descartes "meditations," i hope to enter the philosophical arena with a blank slate, and gain from there.

Amerie phil

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:53 am
@PhilosophyForum,
I just thought mine sounded pretty Smile I have so many different usernames over different forums that I've used all my bizarre creations up!

hue-man

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 03:11 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;31143 wrote:
I asked one of my older black coworkers what he thought of the Black Panther Party and expressed my own sympathies for Huey Newton and the organization (although I am quite sure I would have only received their derision)

But didn't the panthers work alongside white hippies? I've even heard of a panther who dated a white woman.

Masquerade

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 03:13 pm
@Khethil,
The name masquerade sounded like a strong name to give myself. It also stands out.

hue-man

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 03:26 pm
@Khethil,
I got the name hue-man from the way a human is described in many old dictionaries. The word human is a combination of the words hue and man, and hue means color. Anthropologists came to use the word hue for Homo Sapiens because our skin is transparent due to our lack of fur. Philosophy is also a part of the humanities in academia, and it encompasses all of the problems of the human experience, and so it is a very human endeavor.

Also, nowadays the term "man of color" is used for non-white people, and I am non-white. I don't really agree with the saying "people of color", though. I mean white is technically a color. Hell, I'm not even sure if I agree with the terms black and white as racial distinctions.

realist phil

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 07:05 pm
@hue-man,
I chose this name because philosophically I am a realist. My realism says that what exists is not limited by the human capabilites to cognize what exists.
Further more, I encourage other realists on this forum to contact me. I like dialogue with one person at a time rather than posting on forums.
realist

The Jester phil

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 06:16 am
@PhilosophyForum,
Mine comes from a novel/poem of mine: firstly entitled as The folly, then as The fool (jester), then turned into a poem (trilogy) and the first part is entitled as The Jester.

Shostakovich phil

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:20 pm
@Khethil,
Dimitri Shostakovich is my favourite composer, with Beethoven a close second. I chose my favourite composer's last name. He wrote a symphony after Stalin declared that his music was against the people ... and in the symphony Shostakovich mocks Stalin with a series of notes that depict mocking laughter that Stalin was too daft to know was directed at him. It's in my collection but I'd have to listen through them to find the number of the symphony ... could be the Leningrad Symphony, or symphony number 8. I quit listening to classical music sometime ago, as I've become bored with it, as with all things that become too familiar.

Stalin almost had Shostakovich arrested by the KGB but happenstance saved Shostakovich from the gulag. The person who called in him in for an interview died before Shostakovich could make his appearance, and he was never called to appear before the KGB again. Maybe someone told Stalin that if he had Shostakovich murdered the people would turn against him. Shostakovich was famous and was regarded as a national hero, much like Sibelius was in Finland (my home country).

Stalin was the number one enemy of civilization if you consider that the genocide he committed was worse than the one attributed to the Nazis. According to Alexander Solzenyetsyn (sp?) 25% of the Russian people perished under Stalin's purges. Far more than the total number of people who perished in the 2nd world war. No wonder Shostakovich despised this demon, and anyone who despises living embodiments of absolute Evil such as Stalin earns my vote of confidence.

Cathain phil

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 11:07 am
@Shostakovich phil,
It's derived from my surname in it's proper non-anglicised form.

agaton

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 01:26 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
First reading of some Plato's works gave me the name Razz Second reading gave me the love for philosophy... Both were in Polish... now I'm going to do it again in English... who knows what I can get Razz

Sigmund

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:49 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
It's my last name, which was assigned to me when I was very young and I have chosen not to alter that arrangement.

Gundly

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:53 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I got my name by creating a gmail account and the anti-spam word was "gundly" and it sounded cool so I went with that.

IntoTheLight

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 02:33 am
@Gundly,
I've spent over 30 years in addiction which has been a life of darkness, fear, and despair.

I got into Recovery four years ago and have had a simply amazing journey.

My handle is a metaphor for that journey as I have finally moved out of the darkness and into the light.

richard mcnair

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 12:14 am
@PhilosophyForum,
...its my name... as you can see I'm a very imaginative person

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 06:21 pm
@ROBOTER,
I used the name Deconstructo once because I liked the sound of it. But "Reconstructo" is more honest. Man is "metaphysics".

But aside from all that --- Hello everyone. :Glasses:

coin

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 06:05 am
@PhilosophyForum,
first letter of each of my four names arranged serialy.
THAT GIVES YOU ....COIN.
...do you like the maths

jes phil

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 09:52 am
@coin,
Jes is a diminutive of my name but no, I'm not named Jessica.

Nico phil

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 06:33 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
i got my name from Aristotle's "The Nicomachean Ethics" and also because my girlfriend likes the name so I just stuck to it :-)

reivax

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 06:54 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
nothing special, just an anagram from my real name. afroxxowner was my other web-alias and it just did not seem right for this site.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 05:59:53