How did you get your name?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

TheUtmostProvide

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 08:23 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
TheUtmostProvided was originally my plan. But apparently, it's too long.
Therefore I settled upon TheUtmostProvide.
It just popped out of no where.
Perhaps the philosophical mood?
Most likely.

pointstaken

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 03:45 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Having a life-long interest in rail transportation (Yes I can remember steam as the main prime mover on UK railways), and my wife saying "I take your point", prompted the use of this name. Nothing particularly original about it, but it does serve its purpose.

StephenTheVegan

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 11:44 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I like the people on this forum a lot so far. Argumentative and narcissistic. I feel right at home. I have this username because my given name is Stephen and I am vegan.

chittyxvx

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 08:44 pm
@StephenTheVegan,
Well my name is David Chitty and as is usual in the role of young boys, nicknamed to Chitty.
The xvx at the end stands for vegan straight edge. So hello Stephen. Very good to have vegans posting in a row. For those that don't know straight edge is a philosophy/lifestyle that came out of the Hardcore scene in the 80s. Adherents to its ideas choose a lifestyle free from alcohol, smoking, drugs and promiscous sex. We also choose to listen to some brilliant music.

StephenTheVegan

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 05:39 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Awesome. Hello fellow vegan. One of my best friends is vegan straight edge and I've told him about the forum. I live an essentially straight edge lifestyle, but I do have alcohol on rare occasions, so I just tend to identify as prudish. Plus, I don't listen to loud, fast, raucous music, so I guess that might make me a consistent prude.

Belial phil

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 08:48 pm
@StephenTheVegan,
Belial is the name of a demon in Judeo-Christian mythology.
It means worthless, I believe.
I happen to like the way the name sounds, it's also the name of one of my favorite characters in Angel Sanctuary(a manga), and I feel that in the grand scheme of things we're all worthless. At the same time I want to strive to be as not worthless as possible and seeing that name helps me to do that...for some reason. :/

melonkali

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 08:52 am
@PhilosophyForum,
melonkali

1. I have a melancholic disposition.

2. Kali -- Considering at least 6 recorded millenia of a suffering world that seems to be getting worse (for the majority of humans, critters, nature, the planet itself), if I had the power of destruction, I believe I'd end this failed "human" experiment, end the suffering, and give the creator a clean slate to work with. Plus, I do have a nasty temper.

3. Melon -- I'm an old lady shaped like a melon. (But at least I don't make a hollow sound when thumped!)

melonkali

Zogg the Demon

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 02:42 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
My name is "Zogg the Demon" because, well, I'm a demon, and my friends call me "Zogg" - well, what you call friends down here in hell, other demons I hang around with.

My real name is "Underling 3281772", but who wants to memorize this... The name "Zogg" goes back some centuries when I was in soul accountance school in 4th Circle. The infernology teacher was an elderly she-demon (rumor says she had worked as succubus before). She didn't feel like memorizing numbers, so she invented nicknames to all of us. I liked my nickname Zogg, so I kept it.

gotmilk9991

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 08:56 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I used to love cows, and still kind of do, so in 6th grade i created my email, gotmilk9991, and ever since thats been my general screename for everything

beforHim

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 01:00 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I want to be for Him. Exist for God (I'm Christian, hence the capital H Him).

Lily

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 11:19 am
@beforHim,
beforHim;90986 wrote:

I want to be for Her:bigsmile:

Belial phil

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 12:40 am
@beforHim,
beforHim;90986 wrote:

How does being of a certain religion excuse incorrect capitalization?

Table

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:00 pm
@Belial phil,
I just really like furniture.

Restlesshiker

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 01:40 am
@PhilosophyForum,
I don't know. The name appeals to my sense of being-in-becoming. It affirms my frequent searching for answers to the many questions that come into my life despite the assurance from Rilke that in some distant future I shall live mine into the answers. Restlessness is part and parcel of my existence which is elusive from being defined. Perhaps, Marcel's Homo Viator has something to do with my choosing it. Or may be it was Augustine's Rationes Seminales--or may be both and of several giants whose collective ideas this humble fly is perching on.

Sorryel

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:55 am
@Restlesshiker,
Restlesshiker;96177 wrote:
I don't know. The name appeals to my sense of being-in-becoming. It affirms my frequent searching for answers to the many questions that come into my life despite the assurance from Rilke that in some distant future I shall live mine into the answers. Restlessness is part and parcel of my existence which is elusive from being defined. Perhaps, Marcel's Homo Viator has something to do with my choosing it. Or may be it was Augustine's Rationes Seminales--or may be both and of several giants whose collective ideas this humble fly is perching on.

Good name! I picked mine cuz I was very tired of my usual online names ("Sokal" and "Sunbeam the Deacon" for example) and it had an esoteric story and a pun of sorts:

"Sorryel" is based on "Sariel" -- the rebel angel from the book of Enoch who teaches mankind how the lunar sphere works.

qwertyportne

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 09:51 am
@PhilosophyForum,
Wow, what an interesting collection of user names and reasons for choosing them. Thanks, everyone.

Mine is QWERTYPORTNE. QWERTY represents the first six letters on the top row of a keyboard and YPORTNE is entropy spelled backwards.

Together they represent my idea that writing reverses entropy in my head; that is, every clear sentence I write removes more of the undergrowth of confusion in my mind.

Entropy represents chaos, and if applied to writing, would start with all the writing in the world and take it down to paragraphs, then sentences, then words and finally to just the letters of the alphabet.

Yportne, however, represents order, and when applied to writing, starts with the alphabet and builds up to words, then sentences, then paragraphs and finally to books, fine poetry, great literature and deeply meaningful questions and answers.

Entropy unwrites, whereas yportne writes...

wholethinker

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 09:01 am
@PhilosophyForum,
Tried to put "Thinking about the whole world" in one word. It wasn't my intention to define myself as "whole" or "thinker". When I saw the result, I desided to leave it as it was for not to get it worse.

evenflow

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 08:23 pm
@Lily,
I got the name evenflow from a Pearl Jam song.

Can't wait to see them next month Very Happy

Skepticus

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 12:43 pm
@Khethil,
Hi There.

I first picked up the moniker Skepticus about the time I enlisted as a bright at thebrights.net. I was not particularly into philosophy then, or even greco-roman history; I just wanted a name that sounded pythonesque. Yes! I love Monty Python From 'cheesy comestibles' to 'very naughty boys' :devilish: But still I considered myself to be a consummate skeptic, so Skepticus, or Skepticus Maximus even, just sounded right. It doesn't hurt that it has that latin sound; especialy not around here. S'pose I'm damn lucky it wasn't taken.

---------- Post added 10-19-2009 at 05:28 AM ----------

Skepticus

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:02 pm
@beforHim,
beforHim;90986 wrote:
I want to be for Him.

That can be arranged. Just mixing your ticket now. :devilish:
Where shall I have it sent? :Glasses: Oh sorry. My bad. I thought you said you wanted to be be-fore Him. :whistling:

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/26/2024 at 06:23:22