How did you get your name?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

student-of-life

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:05 pm
@ikurwa89,
I chose my name because I am interested in everything. I am the kind of person who is easily entertained, because even the things that seem so very simple can have profound implications. I can sit and look at the sky and wonder until I'm forced to pull away. I can look at identical plants a few feet away from each other and contemplate the numerous factors that come into play the caused one plant to grow one way and one another. I love the logical flow of mathematics but I also enjoy the spontaneous randomness of the illogical. I have children that are 1-1/2,5, & 6 years old and another on the way and they fascinate me to no end. I can interest myself in the similarities and differences of almost any two things. I am open to almost all philosophies but like I am particularly similar to the pragmatist who says something along the lines of you can contemplate the reality of the physical all you want but you still eat when you're hungry and build a fire when you are cold. As a child without a clue as to what philosophy was, I naturally progressed through different phases where I contemplated several different philosophical theories. I have several years of education, but it seems that the more I learn, the less I know. To me, learning is a process that includes all things. I don't believe a person can ever learn anything, they can only make progress toward that goal. Like traveling down an infinite highway where you can never reach the end. For there is always more to know, and at the same time, you can't really know anything for certain because you can never see anything from outside of your own perspective. It is my goal, however, with the use of this magnificent site, to broaden my mind as much as can be possible and hopefully my opinions and observations will help others to do the same.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 10:12 pm
@student-of-life,
student-of-life;145388 wrote:
I chose my name because I am interested in everything. I am the kind of person who is easily entertained, because even the things that seem so very simple can have profound implications. I can sit and look at the sky and wonder until I'm forced to pull away. I can look at identical plants a few feet away from each other and contemplate the numerous factors that come into play the caused one plant to grow one way and one another. I love the logical flow of mathematics but I also enjoy the spontaneous randomness of the illogical. I have children that are 1-1/2,5, & 6 years old and another on the way and they fascinate me to no end. I can interest myself in the similarities and differences of almost any two things. I am open to almost all philosophies but like I am particularly similar to the pragmatist who says something along the lines of you can contemplate the reality of the physical all you want but you still eat when you're hungry and build a fire when you are cold. As a child without a clue as to what philosophy was, I naturally progressed through different phases where I contemplated several different philosophical theories. I have several years of education, but it seems that the more I learn, the less I know. To me, learning is a process that includes all things. I don't believe a person can ever learn anything, they can only make progress toward that goal. Like traveling down an infinite highway where you can never reach the end. For there is always more to know, and at the same time, you can't really know anything for certain because you can never see anything from outside of your own perspective. It is my goal, however, with the use of this magnificent site, to broaden my mind as much as can be possible and hopefully my opinions and observations will help others to do the same.

I was a student of Life; I graduated 10 Y ago after 12 Y of education. And Kindergarten. Life tought me her best tricks after I left Univesity. Confused I went back to study western Esotherics, Tbetian Boeddhism en tolked to many people.

My Name develloped. Pepijn is the younger cousin of Merlijn. who seems to be not coming Home soon. With the few possesions of my imaginairy uncle I started reading Tarot. Yust for fun. Dechards Card was my Favourite for the Yest.

My 2nd & 3rd name are Hermetic.
MY initial is MYne
My 4th & 5th name are indicators of birth
I did not prpare for lenghty analyses

My final Name Sweep I carried with Honor & Pride. Still do, even if i'm not officially allowed to do so.

Pepijn Sweep for Forum/internet
Have enough of Privacy !

Open the web, lol

Mr Pepijn L. v/d Berg-Sweep:sarcastic:

---------- Post added 03-28-2010 at 09:15 PM ----------

my postnummer was my roomnummer in Weijers, 222

had a room-mate from Oregon State
he had impressing Name (Germanic...)
we called him Ben O.

PepI
AMS
:shifty:

grub

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 04:26 am
@PhilosophyForum,
Reading some of these previous entries, I'm slightly ashamed to say how I got 'grub' to begin with. I thought back of the time when I ate witchetty grub lollies in a country town a month or two ago.. hence the name 'grub'.:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

Donmasto

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 06:50 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I was looking for a nice place to introduce myself but everywhere the conversation seems to have evolved exponentially. I'll just do it here anyway.

Hey, I'm Donmasto. I got my name from the band Mastodon cause I'm a dirty fan boy, but it has a nice ring to it all the same. I was a metal head but I'm not anymore in case my alias brings about any misconceptions.

Brandon phil

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 10:53 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
It was given to me by my mother.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 12:34 am
@grub,
What did the lollies taste like ? Where they made by or from whiches ?

Pepijn Sweep

Rob phil

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 03:15 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I was named after my father, Robert. For the first 17 years of my life I have been called Robby. This year I decided I wanted to go by Rob. That's pretty much it. (:

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 03:43 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
pepijn sweep wrote:
what did the lollies taste like ? Where they made by or from whiches ?

Pepijn sweep

thrut the name i thought suiteble for the internet. Pepijn stands for my imagination. I am blessed with imagination. Pepijn stands to merlijn als pupil stands to master. The apprentice comes to mind.

Sweep is in honor of my mother. She is in heaven with her father. Her brother just followed. So it's more than just my mother, it is her whole family. Sweep. Luckily their are younger branches !

Further do i call myself magister. This in honor of the alchimists and magi from the middle ages and renaissance. Leonardo da vinci, sir isaac newton, mirandella, picollo, erasmus, sir thomas moore to name a few.

I am most fascinated by time. Also color and sound are special.they say timing is everything in video. So maybe i change my mayor at sophy collegio to associative imagination. How to bridge distance by material sympaty.

This was to explain my name
pepijn sweep, magister tym

Deacon Blues

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:09 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I took my name from a song by Steely Dan. In particular I was thinking of the lines:
" They got a name for the winners in the world.
I want a name when I lose.
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide.
Call me Deacon Blues. "

jeeprs

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:56 am
@PhilosophyForum,
My favourite band and one of my favourite songs!

Welcome aboard.

Incidentally, mine was a nickname given me by a workmate because it resembles my initials (jps)

Deacon Blues

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 09:10 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;146551 wrote:
My favourite band and one of my favourite songs!

Welcome aboard.

Incidentally, mine was a nickname given me by a workmate because it resembles my initials (jps)

Mine too. Fagen and Becker are philosophically sophistcated in addition to being musical geniuses. They're also ironical and funny. Your name spontaneously elicits "creepers" in my mind.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:35 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
well it is where I got those eyes....

Brian phil

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 05:51 pm
@jeeprs,
It's my name & I'm stickin' with it. I grew up Catholic & learned early that there's never been a saint named Brian. And when I'm gone, there still won't be one :devilish:

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 06:09 pm
@Brian phil,
Brian;147226 wrote:
It's my name & I'm stickin' with it. I grew up Catholic & learned early that there's never been a saint named Brian. And when I'm gone, there still won't be one :devilish:

Be glad. I have to share mine with a seria of Roman Bishops. You think Petrus gives any priveledges ?

notmike

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:27 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I used to role-play ion a game called Vampire (The Masquerade, Dark Ages, Victorian, Requiem, yeah... even Requiem for Rome). The point is, I had a character in a Requiem chronicle named Michael. I played the character for so long that everyone forgot my name. People just started calling me Mike. Well, there was another guy named Mike... his parents actually had the foresight and audacity to name him [after] my character. What douchebags! It follows that he would always answer to Mike and when they weren't talking to him he would throw hissy fits. So, the storyteller conveniently coined me notmike. Why they never just asked what my real name was eludes me to this day. It seemed to be a pattern. Several people it turns out were not whatever we called them. The name stuck, and I don't mind it... has a nice ring to it. No capital 'n' please; notmike....

corndogs...

jeeprs

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 10:31 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
yeah I knew a guy as Not Murray once. I was working in computer store on a Uni campus. One day our manager went out and came back with 4 or 5 guys who he thought we would try out as 'student representatives'. These were unpaid gigs helping out at Uni events, representing the vendor (computer company, name begins with A...)

Anyway these guys hung around the store for a few days. There was one we thought was called Murray who didn't take to it so well. Very passive and quiet, didn't seem to know how to answer the phone or hold a conversation. By about Thursday the manager had sorted out who was going to get a role as student rep and who wasn't. So we let him go. As he left he turned around and said the last thing we were ever to hear from him: 'By the way, my name is not Murray'.

And, poor fellow, he was always, in the shop's collective memory, known as Not Murray ever after - which is an interesting example, now that I think of it, of apophasis.

GripOfMaya

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 12:02 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Hi Smile

Maya is a Hindu goddess. It is believed her illusionary energy tempts and misleads us into all sorts of enjoyment on this material plane that ultimately end in suffering. I'm well and truly in the grip of Maya.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 03:42 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
well know who she is, is the first step of liberation! Welcome to the Forum.

etherguant

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 03:23 pm
@jeeprs,
A D&D monster from fiend folio
An antediluvian race of philosopher/scientist/mages whose facial organs cause madness when viewed directly. They long ago disappeared into the deep ethereal but are now returning to the prime material.

Psycho phil

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 03:40 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I have a tendency to go off on psychotic rants and lose my temper in arguements, so I figure Psycho works.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:35:40