How did you get your name?

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » How did you get your name?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:19 am
If you read through the Member list, the names chosen range from the incredible to the ironic to the bizarre.

Here is a chance to tell us why you chose the Name you did and perhaps get to know you better.

Note to all philosophers: this thread is informational only.
 
Icon
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:45 am
@PhilosophyForum,
I have a bad habit of being terrible with names and yet I have several nicknames assigned to me by various people for various reasons. Icon is the most popular of these and is most often used by my friends in real life as well as electronically.

Icon is short for Iconoclast. One who destroys religious or popular belief. This, as my friends say, best describes me as a person. I am constantly questioning even my own ideas of the world and reality. It is not in me to believe or to accept or to conform. The harder others try to get me to do so, the harder I fight to understand the truth.
 
Mr Fight the Power
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:57 am
@Icon,
I asked one of my older black coworkers what he thought of the Black Panther Party and expressed my own sympathies for Huey Newton and the organization (although I am quite sure I would have only received their derision), and at that point he called me Mr. Fight the Power.

I quite liked it both for the irony of someone with my appearance and disposition being called Mr. Fight the Power, and for the fact that it is actually applicable to my beliefs.

I am a perpetual surprise to all of those who get so lucky as to hear me express my viewpoints and this name exemplifies that.
 
Aedes
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:28 am
@PhilosophyForum,
I'm a specialist in infectious diseases, with my main academic interest being mosquito and tick borne tropical infections.

Aedes is the name of a genus of mosquitos that includes Aedes aegypti, the mosquito that transmits yellow fever and dengue fever, and Aedes albopictus which is responsible for the current outbreak of chikungunya fever around the Indian Ocean.
 
Mr Fight the Power
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 11:48 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I'm a specialist in infectious diseases, with my main academic interest being mosquito and tick borne tropical infections.

Aedes is the name of a genus of mosquitos that includes Aedes aegypti, the mosquito that transmits yellow fever and dengue fever, and Aedes albopictus which is responsible for the current outbreak of chikungunya fever around the Indian Ocean.


You sound like a very morbid person.
 
Aedes
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:40 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;31157 wrote:
You sound like a very morbid person.
Strange comment -- I take care of people who are sick, that's the direct opposite of morbidity.
 
TickTockMan
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 01:56 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;31157 wrote:
You sound like a very morbid person.


The word you are looking for would be "Mordant" rather than "Morbid."
They're quite different:

mordant
adjective
a mordant sense of humor caustic, trenchant, biting, cutting, acerbic, sardonic, sarcastic, scathing, acid, sharp, keen; critical, bitter, virulent, vitriolic.
 
Mr Fight the Power
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:22 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Strange comment -- I take care of people who are sick, that's the direct opposite of morbidity.


TickTockMan wrote:
The word you are looking for would be "Mordant" rather than "Morbid."
They're quite different:

mordant
adjective
a mordant sense of humor caustic, trenchant, biting, cutting, acerbic, sardonic, sarcastic, scathing, acid, sharp, keen; critical, bitter, virulent, vitriolic.
http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifbhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifd)adj.1. a. Of, relating to, or caused by disease; pathological or diseased.
b. Psychologically unhealthy or unwholesome: "He suffered much from a morbid acuteness of the senses" Edgar Allan Poe.

2. Characterized by preoccupation with unwholesome thoughts or feelings: read the account of the murder with a morbid interest.
3. Gruesome; grisly.

I meant what I said. Taking the obscure name of a mosquito because of the fact that it spreads a particularly nasty disease seems to fit the definition very well.

I knew a guy in school who was planning on working for the CDC and had been a funeral director. He was a good guy and mostly normal, however, he had a near obsession with death and disease. It was seriously his foremost area of interest.

I do not mean this as a knock against you, just that you have identified yourself with a name that represents something that is quite ghastly.

Why not name yourself after any of the scientists who worked on discovering and treating those diseases, or after a cure or vaccine?
 
Aedes
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:45 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;31203 wrote:
I meant what I said. Taking the obscure name of a mosquito because of the fact that it spreads a particularly nasty disease seems to fit the definition very well.
a) I had just given a seminar about the Aedes and Anopheles mosquitos the same week I joined this forum

b) I have taken care of patients with Aedes-borne diseases (specifically dengue), and it's one of my academic undertakings (academic in a professional sense)

c) I did not choose it as a forum name because it spreads deadly diseases -- I chose the name for this forum because the Greek derivation of its name seemed like it would fit in a Philosophy forum whether or not you knew what it meant

Quote:
I do not mean this as a knock against you, just that you have identified yourself with a name that represents something that is quite ghastly.
It also represents a focus of my life work, and it's not ghastly in and of itself -- it's important, and it's extraordinarily challenging, complex, and fascinating. I see that as hopeful, not morbid.

Quote:
Why not name yourself after any of the scientists who worked on discovering and treating those diseases, or after a cure or vaccine?
You win. Justin, can you change my username to William Crawford Gorgas?
 
Khethil
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 02:47 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
The name I'm using now was one I picked up several years ago playing a MMORPG called EverQuest. I still play occasionally, currently on World of Warcraft. I thought it up one morning, long ago, on a particularly-bad tequilla hangover.

In the early days of the internet, I was "proph" on IRC and enjoyed that for a number of years until multiple IRC networks became available. I'm prouder of this one, than the one I'm using. Proph was given to me at a gathering of friends (philosophers... from a BBS I used to run, go figure) about 20 or so years ago where, after I went on a loud rant about some issue, and after finishing someone poked fun at me saying, "#&^@, calm down son! You're gonna end up a prophet".
 
Mr Fight the Power
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:14 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
a) I had just given a seminar about the Aedes and Anopheles mosquitos the same week I joined this forum

b) I have taken care of patients with Aedes-borne diseases (specifically dengue), and it's one of my academic undertakings (academic in a professional sense)

c) I did not choose it as a forum name because it spreads deadly diseases -- I chose the name for this forum because the Greek derivation of its name seemed like it would fit in a Philosophy forum whether or not you knew what it meant


Alright, that's fine. But you have to see where I am coming from.

What would you have thought about my leanings if I had named myself Stalin, Mussolini, or Pol Pot?

Quote:
It also represents a focus of my life work, and it's not ghastly in and of itself -- it's important, and it's extraordinarily challenging, complex, and fascinating. I see that as hopeful, not morbid.


I think mosquitos and diseases are ghastly in and of themselves, but to each his own.

Quote:
You win. Justin, can you change my username to William Crawford Gorgas?


If you wish to abbreviate or simply use Gorgas, that would be satisfactory as well.
 
Aedes
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 06:44 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I do see your point, but recognize that in this setting my alias is a taxonomic name that CAN but does not necessarily cause disease (there are many species of Aedes that are not human disease vectors) and therein only obliquely refers to the downstream suffering -- and not a human perpetrator of mass suffering like Pol Pot. What if someone were being cute and called themselves "E. coli", i.e. one of the most commonly recognizable of all bacteria. Well, I've seen a heck of a lot more people die of E. coli than yellow fever, but I doubt anyone would think it disrespectful.

There was another forum in which I called myself Plasmodium, which is the genus of malaria parasites that kill 2 million African children a year. Is it disrespectful to them to call myself that when I happen to do research on the parasite, when I have a publication about to come out on it, etc?

Do you think you're being a bit too politically correct?
 
Mr Fight the Power
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 07:20 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
I do see your point, but recognize that in this setting my alias is a taxonomic name that CAN but does not necessarily cause disease (there are many species of Aedes that are not human disease vectors) and therein only obliquely refers to the downstream suffering -- and not a human perpetrator of mass suffering like Pol Pot. What if someone were being cute and called themselves "E. coli", i.e. one of the most commonly recognizable of all bacteria. Well, I've seen a heck of a lot more people die of E. coli than yellow fever, but I doubt anyone would think it disrespectful.

There was another forum in which I called myself Plasmodium, which is the genus of malaria parasites that kill 2 million African children a year. Is it disrespectful to them to call myself that when I happen to do research on the parasite, when I have a publication about to come out on it, etc?

Do you think you're being a bit too politically correct?


I'm not saying that you are being offensive or insensitive.

I mean nothing more than that naming yourself after a mosquito principally known for spreading disease is something that would generally be considered morbid. As would naming oneself E. Coli. Diseases are simply a morbid interest to most, including me. They make most people squeamish.
 
Aedes
 
Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:24 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Ok... I don't consider it morbid, and I certainly don't consider myself morbid -- my interest in diseases is intellectual, humanitarian, and professional, and certainly not a matter of morbid interest.

Philosophy is a morbid interest of mine Wink
 
validity
 
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:42 am
@PhilosophyForum,
I worked for two and a bit years as Validation Mananger Validation (drug manufacture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for a pharmaceutical manufacturer.

I think showing validity is a good thing.
 
Khethil
 
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 08:22 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Ok... I don't consider it morbid, and I certainly don't consider myself morbid -- my interest in diseases is intellectual, humanitarian, and professional, and certainly not a matter of morbid interest.


Poor diseases... have we no respect for their rights?!

Just kidding, hopefully obviously, but I wouldn't be so surprised to see such a concerted effort. "Malaria is Conscious!", "Typhoid spores are People too!"

:whistling:
 
sarek
 
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 09:27 am
@PhilosophyForum,
Sarek is all about logic, as one would assume. But Sarek also shows the limitations of logic when he contracts Bendii syndrome.
That for me signifies the intuitive leaps that are sometimes required.

Oh, and I once had a feisty little Dachshund called Sarie.
 
nameless
 
Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 03:20 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
jgweed;31097 wrote:
If you read through the Member list, the names chosen range from the incredible to the ironic to the bizarre.
Here is a chance to tell us why you chose the Name you did.

From certain Perspectives, names are equated with 'description/definition/function'; Hooper, Cooper, Smith, Potter... (on the mundane level)
The common notion of a name is that is 'who you are' for 'life'.
No one is the same person from moment to moment, much less from birth to death.
So, being strapped with one name is a relic of ignorance and 'convenience'.
If you kill, you are called 'Killer' at that moment. If you are being a 'healer' at some moment, that is what you are called. Have we never called someone (by the 'name'), "hey a$$hat"?!
So, when I am not in a particular mode/function/behavior, (Smith, Asshat, Potter..) I remain at 'ground state', being 'nameless'.
I am many names...
 
IBelieveAllIRead
 
Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:34 am
@PhilosophyForum,
My name is a shortened version of the quote "I believe virtually everything that I read", said by David St. Hubbins in the greatly underrated film This Is Spinal Tap. The way he says it in such an "intelligent" way, oblivious to it's utter utter utter hilarious stupidity is SO perfect hahaahha!!!! =D
 
Satans Monk
 
Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:46 am
@PhilosophyForum,
My name comes from an account i had on newgrounds.com where i wasw particularly harsh when rating flash videos.
That and my first choice of user name was "unexceptable"
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » How did you get your name?
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/01/2020 at 12:04:14