How did you get your name?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Faithfulskeptic

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:02 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
My name came from the first two words that I would use to describe myself spiritually. Skeptic, because I do not assign myself to any one formal belief system in its entirety. And Faithful in that I believe, I just do not have the words to label what it is. But then again, maybe we're not supposed to label, IDK.
I do believe in the self, but many times the self is furthest from comprehension.

I came across the site looking for exactly thus, a forum for thinkers and people who question the standard (not the branded media stuff) where people can express themselves, a place where I could find other people who thought further past the obvious in day to day life.

P.S. Although I haven't read the entire thing, this is an entertaining thread with as much humor, audacity, insight, and maybe a little lack thereof to comprise a comic silent play! Cheers to the guy who came up with it, great idea!

---------- Post added 12-28-2009 at 09:11 PM ----------

[QUOTE=nameless;31462]
So, when I am not in a particular mode/function/behavior, (Smith, Asshat, Potter..) I remain at 'ground state', being 'nameless'.
I am many names...[/QUOTE]

Nice, would you say that you were equivalently all names, since as arbitrary as names may be, so are the actions that denote them?

Scarlett phil

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 08:13 am
@Satans Monk,
I've picked up the Nick name Scarlett/Red since being a toddler. It's either the colour or a visible object of that colour, that I wear because it's intimate and welcoming. Not only is it symbolic and affiliated with things, I just so happen to love Red.

William

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 08:39 am
@PhilosophyForum,
My Father gave it to me. It was his too.

William

Merry Prankster

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 08:19 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters. always been partial to them, and I figured that just because Kesey's dead doesn't mean that the Prankster tradition has to end so I'm trying to revive it.

blueberryem

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:30 am
@PhilosophyForum,
Nothing special. Razz I was making a msn account years ago and I had to come up with something. Blueberry was the first thing that came up in my mind and when I tried to use it, it was already used by someone so I just randomly put 'em' at the end of it.

bukowski

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 04:01 pm
@blueberryem,
"Bukowski" is a reference to the beat poet and author. Charles Bukowski has some really fantastic poetry and prose, and I identify with his less than reputable characters more than I would like to admit.Very Happy

ChaosampComplexity

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 10:03 am
@Salo phil,
I got my name from two popular interdisciplinary fields today: Chaos Theory and Complexity Theory.

JustABrainInAVat

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:38 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Well, my name, Just A Brain In A Vat, comes from a philosophical idea, first put forth by the french philosopher, Rene Descartes, but was made into the modern brain in a vat format by the American philosopher Hilary Putnam. The thought is that we could all be just brains in vats, hooked up to an impossible complex computer that is able to simulate all of your senses and everything that happens to you, yet you are unable to tell. Kind of like The Matrix.

Agonsho

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 10:31 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Agonsho is my first initial and then the first part of my last name....highly unoriginal but it was bequeathed me in college for my email and I've been using it for various functions ever since. :bigsmile:

Soren

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:09 am
@PhilosophyForum,
40 years ago I had a real enchatment with the works of Soren Kierkegaard. My fellow philosophy majors began to call me: "Soren."

Thomistic

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 08:26 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I choose "thomistic" because that follows along with the philosophy I'm most interested in studying. I used to be part of this forum but I stopped participating awhile back and I think my account was dropped for its inactivity. Either way I resurrected my name.

I have a BA in philosophy, and I concentrated most of my studies in Aristotle (logic and Nic. Ethics) and Thomas Aquinas's philosophical principles and applications to theology. So what I know and believe is best characterized as "thomistic" but my real name is Chris Pietraszko, and I look forward to philosophizing with you all.

Pax

daystar

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 11:57 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
One day I suddenly became fascinated with the concept of daytime stars - of being able to see stars or 'tiny' suns in the daytime. Later I learned the planet we call Venus is also called a 'day star.' No idea if I ever heard this name sometime in the past. Anything is possible but I do not remember, if so.

Smile

Clydesdale

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 12:29 am
@PhilosophyForum,
Because I admire the strength, power, and determination of the clydesdale.

Dosed

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 11:20 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Red Hot Chili Peppers song. Smile

EnvyTheRetarted

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:07 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Admin;31097 wrote:
If you read through the Member list, the names chosen range from the incredible to the ironic to the bizarre.

Here is a chance to tell us why you chose the Name you did and perhaps get to know you better.

Note to all philosophers: this thread is informational only.

I just envy the ignorant. The bliss they must feel day to day. And yes, the mis-spelling of retarded was intentional. lol.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 01:19 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Mijn naam betekent nix I use it for this forum. And day-dreamer!

Scottydamion

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 11:32 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
My name is a combination of my nickname "Scotty", and my gaming name "Damion". Both of which I used to go by more than my real name, so I figured for the internet's sake I'd combine them to make a super-nickname! yeayy

Geoveda

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:22 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Geo is a prefix I use for various purposes, as it's the first few letters of my name. I'll add an extension appropriate to the site or forum I am on. I chose veda for this - based on the fact my fascination with philosophy began with a journey through Eastern thought.

AntiCHRISTian669

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:31 am
@Icon,
Yeah dude, just came up with my name because my real name is Christian and I don't believe in religions either. However I do believe in "God". Or at least the meaning behind the name. I believe that everything organic and alive is connected and that the universe is "God". We're symbiotic and what happens to one effects all. We are our own masters and our reality is subjective. The way we individualy percieve the world around us is what makes it real.

polpol

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 01:17 pm
@Thomistic,
My father used to call me that when he was alive and in good spirits. Now he is dead but I imagine he is still in good spirits and I guess I still miss him.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:32:27