How did you get your name?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

pointstaken

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 05:18 pm
@smoked,
From my railway/railroading interests, and my inclination to "branch off" from the mainstream of everyday popular interests.

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 11:51 am
@PhilosophyForum,
odenskrigare is Swedish for 'warrior of Odin' ... Odin is a god of vicissitudes and since my attitude is that life is a b*tch, the name is fitting

Caroline

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 06:29 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
I cant be bothered making up names so I dont!

Phronimos

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 10:09 pm
@Caroline,
I borrowed mine from Aristotle. Phronesis is Aristotle's greek term to refer to the excellence of practical wisdom; phronimos is someone with the excellence of phronesis, which I naturally don't in the fully rich sense that Aristotle uses the term, but its a pretty cool greek word and one of the aspects of Aristotle's NE that I really liked.

Jose phil

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 04:47 am
@PhilosophyForum,
It's a nickname by a friend. Because my real name sounds like "Jose".

If I was 14, this username will be "blazinpzycho", a name I used in a game called Runescape - which I no longer play.

Joe

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 09:42 pm
@Jose phil,
Its my government name. I am here as mole.

Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2009 11:02 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
It's pretty obvious where I got my name I think.

Parapraxis

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 03:26 am
@Victor Eremita,
A "parapraxis" is a Freudian slip...but it sounds a lot better than having my username as "Freudian Slip"...

ReliantJDP

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 09:01 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Used it on another board when I could not think of anything I liked. Playing with the band RelientK's (sic) name, but adding my initials.

Jose phil

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 10:32 am
@PhilosophyForum,
RelientK is a awesome band. "Give until there's nothing left", "The Best Thing" and "Must have done something right" are my personal favorites.

Arthane

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 02:20 am
@PhilosophyForum,
Made up mine about 10 years ago after sitting in front of my computer screen for approximately 4 hours trying to think of a name for my new character on the MUD 'Discworld'. At the end of the 4 hours I was quite happy with what I thought was a fairly original name. Creativity not being a strong point of mine, nor wanting to put that much effort into another one, I kept it.

tehdoc809

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 04:55 pm
@Arthane,
My name comes from two different sources. One is I am a huge fan of Doctor Who, but that is seconday. It originally comes from a turnament gaming team I use to be a part of, we were a group of 7 and and we based our group theme off of the shorts of Red V Blue. We had 3 blue members and 3 red members and If it was a 4 play turnament I was the filler, purple. On RvB the purple guy was Doc. So my gamername was tehdoc.

The Dude phil phil

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 12:20 pm
@Arthane,
Mine came from the Big Lebowski.

http://www.tgeller.com/graphics/livejournal/20080918-dude.jpg

Simple, eh?

Thunkd

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 11:14 pm
@Khethil,
I thunkd about it real hard. Smile

Tramontana

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 05:59 am
@PhilosophyForum,

The Outsider

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 01:06 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
My name comes from track seven of the album "Thirteenth Step" by A Perfect Circle. Simple enough.

Nimmy

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 09:57 am
@PhilosophyForum,
My name comes from Leonard Nimoy. Heavy on the Nimoy part I suppose.

EmperorNero

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 03:32 am
@Arthane,
I saw this: YouTube - Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire - Part 02 of 06 - Nero 1/6
And I wanted a name with EmperorNero in it.
I figured just 'EmperorNero' is certainly taken and I didn't want to add some number at the end: EmperorNero752.
So I went with NoEmperorNero, mainly because it sounded catchy to me at the time.
And to convey that I'm not decadent and crazy like Nero.

ClaudeA

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 04:27 pm
@PhilosophyForum,
Fascinating question!

I'm member of many forums, and the names indeed range from bizarre to ludicrous!

Admin wrote:
If you read through the Member list, the names chosen range from the incredible to the ironic to the bizarre.

Here is a chance to tell us why you chose the Name you did and perhaps get to know you better.

Note to all philosophers: this thread is informational only.

Normally, I maintain a universal forum name, since trying to recall many different ones is no easy task for one who is memory-challenged!Laughing

The ClaudeA I chose here was purposefully to give a better idea of my true identity, Claude Armstrong. In the past I've not been quite as proud of my heirloom name, but lately I've been digging into my past, and realized anew how my father so loved his oldest brother's first son, who died in his first year, that about 30 years later, when i was born to my parents, I was given my deceased infant uncle his name.

That's my story! :detective:

jojones

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 12:50 am
@PhilosophyForum,
I chose my real name, made sense to me. Much easier to remember.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:01:52