Why do you not?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

salima

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:16 am
@sometime sun,
and if our body becomes a burden for everyone else?

i think whoever actually wants to kill himself is justified-the desire to do it is the justification because it proves the worthlessness of his life beyond any doubt. but of course there are cases where sometimes people make mistakes and wrong decisions...if only they had waited...i could put up a good argument for someone who wanted to check out, i should be on the suicide hotline. but at any moment i may myself decide i am gone...it's a case of giving it one more day or one more month or one more year at this point i guess...

a young person has time on his side, and a chance for happiness. but the longer the clock ticks, and especially if one feels he has already had the peak experience, it is only a question of having enough bad things happen at one time to drive one over the edge. the only way to get out of the conundrum is to find a way to make your life valuable to someone else-community service. far better to justify your life than your death, and a lot harder...oh! just what i was looking for, a challenge!

Lost1 phil

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 09:18 am
@sometime sun,
I read the question..."Why do you not? (commit suicide) ... my first thought was I have hope.

A more honest answer would be because of pharmaceuticals. I will not bore anyone with how many years of denial, hard work, etc. etc. it took to be able to not only admit but accept that little fact.

kennethamy - you should be very thankful that you find it a foolish out of context question.

Lost1

rajiraouf

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 03:05 am
@Lost1 phil,
after reading some, I ALMOST DID. ooooooooooooph..close call.

Krumple

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 03:28 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;108450 wrote:
Why do you not commit suicide?

Because it would be a waste of life. I know that life is not always favorable by why cry about it or want it to end? Only if I was in pain that would never end that was incapacitating or I was debilitated where I relied on others completely and fully to exist, would I want to die.

So, why do you not commit suicide?
when you have 'nothing to lose except his ridiculously naked life'.

I don't see my life as ridiculously naked or unimportant. It is important, to myself and to the people I am around. I know that one day I will die anyways so what is the point in speeding it up? I will miss out on what I might have had so I would rather risk extremely horrible experiences or pain than to just simply end it to prevent them. I am optimistic in the fact that pain can never last for ever and it is worth seeking a solution at any cost. If all plans fail to relieve that suffering then by all means suicide would be the last option. Until then I will continue to enjoy my life.

I don't expect anyone to adopt my outlook and I feel to each their own. If you think suicide is wrong, then don't do it, but you shouldn't have the right to prevent others if they feel it is necessary. Understand the person, investigate their reasoning. If they are found to be under the influence of depression or not clearly under major distress then by all means getting them some counseling might be the best solution. Each case is unique and no single solution works for everyone.

Some people are just not cut out for life.

Khethil

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:30 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117260 wrote:
...It is like asking someone why he does not take a ship to Mozambique, a propos of nothing. It makes no sense out of context.

Exactly.

What's worse, is that contained in that question is the direct inference that in order to not commit suicide, one must justify it (else the question wouldn't need be asked). It's a style of interrogation that puts forth, in how such questions are phrased, implied value statements or judgments. This is game-playing, and comes across badly. Whether or not someone intends on such a low purpose depends on who's asking and why.

Still.. yea, I don't like it.

sometime sun

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 10:13 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;146067 wrote:

Some people are just not cut out for life.

And many people aren't cut out for death:)

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:54 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;146195 wrote:
And many people aren't cut out for death:)

No, I think you will find that everyone is cut out for death. Give them enough time, and they will be dead.

qwertyportne

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 03:24 pm
@sometime sun,
1- Today and all my yesterdays have been pretty darn good!
2- If tomorrow brings something crappy, my curiosity won't let me leave.
3- And my wife, friends and kittys) who need me to stick around...

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 04:07 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;144933 wrote:
My body becomes a burden after raking leaves for a couple hours. I am justified in killing myself then?

Samurais are the only ones who can kill themselves.

A better example would be cancer that eats your face off, or a brain cancer that erases your personality.

platorepublic

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 04:12 pm
@sometime sun,
It's obvious - because I cannot wait until Usher's new album comes out!

William

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 09:02 pm
@sometime sun,
Why do I not commit suicide? That's easy; what would you do without me? ha! I will always have something to offer. When I'm done, I'm dead.

There are so many who would love to speak their mind but, starting at an early age, they are instructed to "Do as you are told"! "Children should be seen, not heard". Surely some have heard that before. I was lucky, I rebelled from early on. I was not an obedient child. Not by a long shot. Ha, got my little butt torn up for that too. Don't get me wrong I dearly loved my parents and I knew they loved me, but somehow I knew it wasn't there fault; they were just passing the buck and doing what they were taught too.

Somehow I knew then I couldn't change me. That's what being told does. When someone tells someone to do something they do not understand they begin to lose that innate self. If it were show and then tell, it would be entirely different. That definitely is not happening. As a matter of a fact, it is getting exponentially worse.

So many are told so much yet they see so much that contradicts it, they totally lose a trust in anything anyone has to say. It's difficult what all the disciplinary measures some who call themselves parents do to force there children to do as they are told and I am sure some of those scars never heal; the physical ones, maybe, but the mental ones? Who know how deep those are?

I very rarely use the word "adult" because there should be no differentiation between the two, ideally. They're little humans. We should never do what we tell the child not to do. Remember, I said ideally! That's just not the way it is, is it; we do a whole hell of a lot of crap we tell them not to do they witness. We really don't have the time to sit down and explain anything to them. Most parents are rarely there. When they are their too mentally exhausted to explain anything and sit in front of the boob tube. We even tell them to be quiet if they interrupt the damn thing. Exceptions noted and understood. Broad brush here; a very broad one.

One doesn't have to go to the extreme where suicide is concerned. There's lose of life in either case. Breathing or not breathing. There's a hell of a lot of zombies out there. Yeah, sad!

My two cents,
William

sometime sun

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 09:23 am
@William,
William; yes i agree it is those children who are told all their lives what to do, death is the only thing they are allowed to make their own choice about.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:03 am
@sometime sun,

Now the question comes from Dr Viktor. E. Frankl as he asks his patients who suffer from this or that torment, but aside from the opposite (but same), why do you live? I think the question 'Why do you not commit suicide?' is askable/answerable for or by anyone who has a grasp or understanding upon what suicide (understanding of or think they did do will understand) is to them.

A little help for answering;
a'central theme of extentialism:
'to live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.
If there is a purpose in life at all, there must be purpose in suffering and in dying. But no man can tell another what this purpose is. each must find out for himself, and must accept the responsibility that his answer prescribes' Gordon. W. Allport.
In his suicide or life?

'He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how' Nietzsche
A brilliant friend of mine said "it's only a 1 time plesure" ..what a divine answer!

sometime sun

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:36 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;151852 wrote:
A brilliant friend of mine said "it's only a 1 time plesure" ..what a divine answer!

Divine but not complete, life is not just about pleasure and those who give it in because they are not being pleasured have not as yet come to realise life is not just about being happy.
Content perhaps?
As i have said before contentment is knowing the flood and sun can come but not expecting it.
Being prepared for the flood but not expecting or running from it.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:38 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;151871 wrote:
Divine but not complete, life is not just about pleasure and those who give it in because they are not being pleasured have not as yet come to realise life is not just about being happy.
Content perhaps?
As i have said before contentment is knowing the flood and sun can come but not expecting it.
We all have different values, we all have different goals ..we all seek and search ..but some find their goals ..some doesnt'!

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 11:45 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;151871 wrote:
Content perhaps?

You might be interested in reading someone who disagrees with you, and makes a very strong case for his position:

Epicurus and Epicurean Philosophy

I think that we would all be far better off than we are if everyone agreed with Epicurus, who was a hedonist, even though I myself am not a hedonist. If you want to understand why I say this, read Epicurus.

sometime sun

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 12:02 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;151875 wrote:
You might be interested in reading someone who disagrees with you, and makes a very strong case for his position:

Epicurus and Epicurean Philosophy

I think that we would all be far better off than we are if everyone agreed with Epicurus, who was a hedonist, even though I myself am not a hedonist. If you want to understand why I say this, read Epicurus.

It may take me a while but thank you very much for your contribution.

---------- Post added 04-14-2010 at 08:15 PM ----------

HexHammer;151873 wrote:
We all have different values, we all have different goals ..we all seek and search ..but some find their goals ..some doesnt'!

And some just continue to find new goals even if they never can finish old ones.

I am not being pedantic but could you please tell me how you would describe, 'values' 'goals' and 'search' because i think although you say they are different for each i still think there is a commonality to all and everyone.

HexHammer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 01:52 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;151884 wrote:
And some just continue to find new goals even if they never can finish old ones.

I am not being pedantic but could you please tell me how you would describe, 'values' 'goals' and 'search' because i think although you say they are different for each i still think there is a commonality to all and everyone.
In short, it's usually group think, naivity, ignorence and psycotic behaviour that will suppress rationallity, blinding us, making us search for what is not.

Some wrongdoers do actually feel guil and remorse, because their rationallity are still function, but can't suppress the bad mental side.

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 01:55 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;151884 wrote:
It may take me a while but thank you very much for your contribution.

It won't take as long as you might think, as most of Epicurus' works were burned in the Dark Ages by Christians who did not like what he had to say, so there is little left. And they were so successful in misrepresenting him, that the English word "epicurean" almost means the opposite of what Epicurus advocated.

north

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:36 pm
@sometime sun,

Now the question comes from Dr Viktor. E. Frankl as he asks his patients who suffer from this or that torment, but aside from the opposite (but same), why do you live? I think the question 'Why do you not commit suicide?' is askable/answerable for or by anyone who has a grasp or understanding upon what suicide (understanding of or think they did do will understand) is to them.

A little help for answering;
a'central theme of extentialism:
'to live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.
If there is a purpose in life at all, there must be purpose in suffering and in dying. But no man can tell another what this purpose is. each must find out for himself, and must accept the responsibility that his answer prescribes' Gordon. W. Allport.
In his suicide or life?

'He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how' Nietzsche

in the end your suicide gains nothing , nothing at all

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 08:44:10