Truth is a White Lie

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

pondfish

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:40 am
@Reconstructo,
I know the truth. It is really not about the truth as much as how we view the truth as a truth.

truth is not a belief. Then what it is?.

Subjectivity9

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:59 am
@Reconstructo,
Hex,

Good. Maybe that will bring attention to how you have been treating others.

Double dare you.

S9

wayne

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:23 am
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;140222 wrote:
Wayne,

Since truth is exceedingly subjective at best, how exactly are we supposed to find the one truth that fits all?

If there is an 'Ultimate Truth,' it certainly resides outside of the mind of man which is in constant flux, because even if we chanced upon it we would of necessity move on and leave it behind. : ^ (

S9

Yeah, thats pretty spot on. I iwas kinda tryin to demonstrate the tail chasing that we do, but you said it better than I

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:28 am
@wayne,
wayne;140913 wrote:
Yeah, thats pretty spot on. I iwas kinda tryin to demonstrate the tail chasing that we do, but you said it better than I

You think it is subjective that Mars is the fourth planet? How come?

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:02 am
@Reconstructo,
True statements are not subjective. That's why they are true statements rather than opinions.

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:23 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;140924 wrote:
True statements are not subjective. That's why they are true statements rather than opinions.
"The world is flat" was a true statemen, but only wrong by sientific disproval beyond reasonable doubt, therefore true statements may be subject to falsehood.

True og false, may depend on circumstances and values which can change, may be interpeted differently, depending on which eyes gaze upon them.

I consider philosophy based on "true" and "false" spekulative, and doesn't really fit a modern enlighten style of thinking, such is what ignorent and naive people may do.

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:30 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140929 wrote:
"The world is flat" was a true statemen

No it wasn't. The world was never flat so "the world is flat" was never true. The statement "the world is round" is true and has always been true for as long as the Earth has, in fact, been round.

Subjectivity9

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:37 am
@Reconstructo,
Night ripper,

I wonder if you realize, yet, just how much every thing you think is a 'fact' actually passes through the filter of your own mind, and is translated according to what you previously thought you knew.

Not only that but, introduction of certain chemicals whether synthetic or organic can change everything you thought you knew almost immediately. Alzheimer’s would take away your memory, and the whole foundation upon which you build your world.

Are you sleeping right now or even in a comma? Prove that you are not. : ^ (

Sri Ramana: “We don’t live in the world. We live in our heads.”

S9

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:44 am
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;140930 wrote:
No it wasn't. The world was never flat so "the world is flat" was never true. The statement "the world is round" is true and has always been true for as long as the Earth has, in fact, been round.
The church would burn heretics who sated the world is flat, and the common man would always belive it was flat, it was common sense.

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:48 am
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;140932 wrote:
Night ripper,

I wonder if you realize, yet, just how much every thing you think is a 'fact' actually passes through the filter of your own mind, and is translated according to what you previously thought you knew.

Not only that but, introduction of certain chemicals whether synthetic or organic can change everything you thought you knew almost immediately. Alzheimer's would take away your memory, and the whole foundation upon which you build your world.

Are you sleeping right now or even in a comma? Prove that you are not. : ^ (

Sri Ramana: "We don't live in the world. We live in our heads."

S9

Yet you still buy your food at a grocery store instead of imagining it. Why is that?

Subjectivity9

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:54 am
@Reconstructo,
Wayne,

Is our head chasing our tail? Or are the head and tail simply spinning in unison, much like the Ouroboros; the mythic snake with his tail in his mouth?

First we pretend to find a premise, and then we pretend to add to this premise, which is a little like seeing pictures appearing in the clouds, when we look at them for any period of time.

Mind is a pattern seeker, trying to make sense out of what we believes it is seeing, and goes on to build its world, brick on brick, with these fictitious patterns. This, my new e-friend, is very similar to our nightly dreams.

With Respect,
S9

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 11:57 am
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;140942 wrote:
Wayne,

Is our head chasing our tail? Or are the head and tail simply spinning in unison, much like the Ouroboros; the mythic snake with his tail in his mouth?

First we pretend to find a premise, and then we pretend to add to this premise, which is a little like seeing pictures appearing in the clouds, when we look at them for any period of time.

Mind is a pattern seeker, trying to make sense out of what we believes it is seeing, and goes on to build its world, brick on brick, with these fictitious patterns. This, my new e-friend, is very similar to our nightly dreams.

With Respect,
S9

Yet somehow speaking in whimsical glassy-eyed metaphors is better than being direct and literal? There is no truth unless it sounds pretty?

Charley phil

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:02 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;108970 wrote:
Truths are lies that work. Lies are truths that don't work.

What does it mean to work?

What do you mean by your question? Are you asking, 'What does it mean for the truth that a lie may have a better outcome and be treated as the truth and therefore become the truth?'

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:34 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;140924 wrote:

Of course, don't forget that opinions can be true, too. Opinion and truth are not opposites.

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;140959 wrote:
Of course, don't forget that opinions can be true, too.

Opinions are like:

1. Classical music is better than modern music.
2. Yellow is a pretty color.
3. Olives taste gross.

I don't see how such things could be true or false. Perhaps you meant something more like "professional opinion" but that's just a misnomer. A doctor gives you his "opinion" but you either have cancer or you don't. That's a fact, not opinion (which is the contrary).

Engineers don't build bridges by swapping opinions. They take measurements that are grounded in objective reality.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:53 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;140966 wrote:
"professional opinion" but that's just a misnomer. A doctor gives you his "opinion" but you either have cancer or you don't.

I'm not sure that all opinions are subjective. And I don't think it is misleading to use "opinion" non-subjectively, in some cases. For instance:

Opinion:

"A 'Scientific opinion' is any opinion formed via the scientific method, and so is necessarily evidence backed. A scientific opinion which represents the formally-agreed consensus of a scientific body or establishment, often takes the form of a published position paper citing the research producing the Scientific evidence upon which the opinion is based. 'The Scientific Opinion' can be compared to 'the public opinion' and means the complex collection of the opinions of many different scientific organizations and entities, and also the opinions of scientists undertaking scientific research in the relevant field."

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:57 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140968 wrote:
Night Ripper wrote:

"professional opinion" but that's just a misnomer. A doctor gives you his "opinion" but you either have cancer or you don't.

I'm not sure that all opinions are subjective. And I don't think it is misleading to use "opinion" non-subjectively, in some cases. For instance:

Opinion:

A 'Scientific opinion' is any opinion formed via the scientific method, and so is necessarily evidence backed. A scientific opinion which represents the formally-agreed consensus of a scientific body or establishment, often takes the form of a published position paper citing the research producing the Scientific evidence upon which the opinion is based. 'The Scientific Opinion' can be compared to 'the public opinion' and means the complex collection of the opinions of many different scientific organizations and entities, and also the opinions of scientists undertaking scientific research in the relevant field.
Ooooh!! I'm glade we magically could change the world and all the incompetent doctors, who NEVER misdiagnose things. Or do either of us live in different realities? Or are some of us just naive?

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:00 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;140966 wrote:
Opinions are like:

1. Classical music is better than modern music.
2. Yellow is a pretty color.
3. Olives taste gross.

I don't see how such things could be true or false. Perhaps you meant something more like "professional opinion" but that's just a misnomer. A doctor gives you his "opinion" but you either have cancer or you don't. That's a fact, not opinion (which is the contrary).

Engineers don't build bridges by swapping opinions. They take measurements that are grounded in objective reality.

You seem to mean by "opinion" what is sometimes called a "matter of opinion". I suppose that is one use of the term. But, as you point out, a physician may have an opinion that someone has cancer, and that opinion (or belief) can be true, or it can be false. It is certainly not a matter of opinion. At least, that is my opinion. And that it is my opinion is not just a matter of opinion.

Night Ripper

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:02 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140971 wrote:
Ooooh!! I'm glade we magically could change the world and all the incompetent doctors, who NEVER misdiagnose things. Or do either of us live in different realities? Or are some of us just naive?

When a doctor misdiagnoses someone does she say "well that was just my opinion" or does she say "well it looks like I was wrong."

I think it's pretty obvious that opinions in that sense are very different from the sense of opinions in "the Dallas Cowboys are awesome!"

HexHammer

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:08 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper;140975 wrote:
When a doctor misdiagnoses someone does she say "well that was just my opinion" or does she say "well it looks like I was wrong."

I think it's pretty obvious that opinions in that sense are very different from the sense of opinions in "the Dallas Cowboys are awesome!"
IF the doctor actually finds out he was wrong, which rarely happens. 1 season Dallas Cowbosy may be awesome, next they might not.

This discussions about "truth" is like discussing things with religious and UFO sighters, they just wanna belive, no matter what.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 03:41:06